An RP in the World of Avernum

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: An RP in the World of Avernum
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #151
OOC:

1) Doomguards are not that common. Two is more than enough for one RP.

2) Travel from Pralgad to Aizo is about three-six months by sea, depending on the time of year.

3) The rest of this post is pretty much courtesy of Alec pointing out things I had stupidly ignored.

IC:

The mail-boat was late. Not that it mattered to the General-his father back in Pralgad doubtless had inscribed some great chronicle for him to read, but there was likely to be little else but an injunction from Major-General Sturm to hurry up with the campaign and head for home before Dorian Kylen's peasant army started getting uppity. Corim snorted-as if Sturm was incapable of dealing with the ragtag peasants. Why, Kylen had just been a low-level administrator when he'd left for Aizo. He vaguely recalled meeting him once-insignificant chap, on the whole, though he'd been polite and pleasant company.

The general's musings were shattered by a rapping at his door.

'Do come in.'

Before him stood a lieutenant in the uniform of Sturm's personal brigade. The lieutenant saluted, and handed him a sealed dispatch. Opening it, he read a surprisingly brief message.

Kylen's forces have taken the forts guarding the mountain passes. The council and the Emperor are at odds, and the army is crippled. Return immediately.

There was more, directions and formalities, but the bare bones of the message were plain to see. The invasion was to be abandoned, just on the point of success. And yet if Sturm had failed to keep control in Pralgad, perhaps it was for the better.

And yet, he did not have to return with the entire army. The mages could be left in the cities, with their garrisons. Colonel Coris could be left in charge, and he could deal with the Kylenians and take the credit for both...maybe he could end up replacing Sturm? Food for thought, certainly.

Unfortunately, Corim did not have long to mull over this. Another knock at the door heralded the arrival of Major Tarem, and a very sheepish looking civilian.

'Ah! Major Tarem! The very person! Look, I've just had a message delivered from old Sturm on Pralgad. It appears Gideon Ironclad is in a bad way militarily and needs our help. We're ordered to return immediately.'

'I'm sorry to say, sir, that I've had some more recent news.'

'Sorry? Don't talk in riddles, Tarem.'

'Very well, sir. This man is a Solaran agent.'

'What?'

'That's right, sir. Please, let me finish. This man is a Solaran agent. He's in constant magical communication with his masters on Pralgad, and with their help he's been supplying the natives with whatever they needed, hoping to keep us busy until Sol was completely dominant, and we couldn't stop him if we wanted to. There's only one problem.'

'There's more than one problem there if you ask me, major. How did this man infiltrate the army in the first place, for a start?'

'Unfortunately that's not so difficult as you seem to think, sir. But the important point is that the Solaran strategy has been saboutaged.'

'Yes, you've caught him. I can see that.'

'No, actually he came forward of his own accord. The problem is this: Gideon Ironclad has fallen. The capital city is in Kylen's hands, and most of the Ironcladian army destroyed. Sol looks unlikely to win the war in the current situation. They want our help. In return, they'll sell out on the natives, and help us destroy them completely. What do you think, sir?'

And General Corim Warderson said nothing.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The misc board's thriving, and there're plenty good RPs. Join now! H00rj!
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #152
"Under General Hugo's orders, I have been instructed to encourage you to hold this land against Solaran invaders. Kylen offers you more opportunity and freedom than a dictator like Sol ever could."
"What use do we have for Kylen, either?"
Hecklers. Lieutenant Slauthe had run into hundreds in his travels. "I'm sure you just love being a slave to the Emperor."
"As much as I love being a slave to the landed aristocracy."
What the -- that was a new one. "The landed aristocracy? Hardly. The people Kylen supports are the merchants, who--"
"--are overfed on the fruits of the people's labor. And the Emperor gives them a nice pat on the back for it."
Grumbling among the assembled partisans. This is no good.
"And what alternative would you have?"
"The people must rule the Empire! The people must decide what is best for them, rather than letting a man appointed by bloodline rule! No more blood must be shed for the petty feuds of children that grew up wearing knee britches and spats!"
Loud shouts of approval. The Lieutenant coughs loudly. "This is treason!"
"From your mouth, we take that as a badge of pride! Treason? Ha! You and the Emperors have betrayed the people of the Empire! Treason! Treason! Treason!" The crowd joins in the shout.
And in the annals of history, Lieutenant Slauthe will be remembered for being the first officer to taste revolutionary justice.

"General Hugo!"
"Not now, damn you. We've ridden him to the coast! I can smell his horse from here, and it's only a matter of time until I can finish what I started at the passes!"
Hugo didn't even realize he was more concerned with killing Karadas than Gideon Ironclad. Didn't matter. They'd both be just as dead.
"Sir, this is urgent, and needs attending to immediately! If we don't do something about it, we'll..."
"What? What will WE do? I am going to pursue Gideon godforsaken Ironclad another mile and give him the justice he deserves.
"Sir! The people are revolting in the east!"
"Let them revolt! Without Ironclad, they will be lost!"
"The people are revolting against Ironclad, too, and all Imperial power!"
"What!?"
"They're mutineers, sir! They've begun taking officers prisoner and stealing weapons and executing aristocrats!"
"No." Ilai Hugo isn't denying it; he simply cannot believe it. "No! It can't be true!"
"Yes, sir. And your assistance will be required for the forces fighting the rebels near the old Ironclad capital. We are to meet with them at Little Bend as soon as possible; the sooner, the easier time we will have of--"
"Karadas!"
"Rot in hell, Hugo!"
"Karadas, I swear with the Gods as my witness that I have no further intent to injure either you or Ironclad."
"As I said, Hugo, rot in hell!"
"A group of guerillas on the rise in your old faction against all the Empire stands for -- against the Emperor himself, who we both agree should exist, even if we don't agree on who he should be -- is trying to sack the Imperial capital. For the sake of all that is good, General Karadas, if you value the Empire, you will get to Little Bend at once."
Then General Hugo sets off for the hamlet.

General Hugo and two guards, along with the messenger, ride at a gallop into the village -- which seems to have been deserted. General Kouvin is seated on a horse in the central square, which encourages Hugo. He approaches the town, and realizes far too late that General Kouvin has been dead for days.

Karadas was pacing the floor when General Hugo, bedraggled and miserable-looking, walks into the tent where they are both to wait for revolutionary justice. Karadas looks ready to strangle the ex-Kylenian when he sees the haggard look in his eyes and the fresh blood and bruises from a vicious beating.
"So they got you too..."

(OOC: The Populist Republicans are a faction on the rise all around Pralgrad. Tired of the abuses of the Imperial factions, they seek a democratic system, abolishing the Emperor and the old aristocracy once and for all. They're gaining a tremendous level of power in the old Ironclad territory, but they stretch from Solaria to White Peak Island; they'll need a new leader. This gives an excuse to shift the allegiance of any PCs currently on Pralgrad to them, too...)

--------------------
¡Viva Chile!
¡Viva el Pueblo!
¡Vivan los Trabajadores!

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #153
The revolutionary fervor struck Solaran lands too. Whereas the Kylens had drawn a large force away to attack the Ironclads, and the Ironclads were in complete disarray, the Solarans still had an incredibly large defense force. The port cities were kept secure by the Solaran guards and by SAFT, while Solaria was orderly under the Imperial Guards of Sol. In the outskirts, however, farms and guard stations were attacked and burned.

Jehan Sol soon showed why he was renowned for his military prowess. All large cities and the important mining towns were all immediately fortified and had their guard detachments doubled. This confined the Populists to the smaller cities and village, where they were not met with much sympathy. The farmers were always treated well by the Emperor, as they provided a needed source of food and made their living through hard work.

That left the smaller cities, where the people were underrepresented and largely ignored. These places were revolutionary stewing grounds and raids by Solaran troops only did a little to stop them. The Solarans immediately secured all of their navy and guarded it to keep it out of Populist hands. Keeping their troops at the southern border, and even reinforcing it, they tried to prevent Populist troop movements from the south.
--------
Lt. Gregan, from his position atop the northern pass, saw Populist troops moving rapidly west. He ordered his troops to let them past. as they were going west, into the Kylenian heartland.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 464
Profile #154
“Sam?” Gan’s voice seemed distant. It echoed a bit in his mind before he realized he was being called upon.
“Wha—? Oh. Right. Sorry, I was just lost in my head.” He had been thinking about the mystery cargo. He took a large interest in it, despite the fact that he had been involved in a good number of trivial troubles due to his curiosity. This is something big, he thought. I have to know. It all for the peace of his mind; he probably won't rest until he satisfies this curiosity.
“Aye? Well, what’s it about?”
“Huh? Oh, nothing. All this matter about Solarans and Kylenians and Ironclads is getting to me, but it’s nothing to worry about.”
“Indeed, nothing to worry about,” agreed Gan. “As part of the SAFT, we’re neutral, which I think is the best place to be during this time of turmoil.” He patted Sam on his back. “More ale, please, over here!” he called to a nearby waiter.

--------------------
You go girl!
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #155
Taron was sleeping in his small cell when a sudden clamour took hold of SAFT headquarters. Looking outside through his (securely barred) windows, he could see a large number of men surrounding the SAFT compound.

A cry went out, piercing the noise of men rushing to their posts.

"Hail in the name of Kylen the emperor! We have evidence that SAFT had broken its contract of neutrality! Unless the Sol agent by the name of Taron is surrendered immediately to face imperial justice, we will be forced to take decisive action!"

A shaky voice came from the tallest watchtower. "This is neutral property. Kylen has no authority over what happens here!"

"As Vida has been officially convicted by the Kylenian law courts, Kylen reserves by article 156 of the new imperial charter the right to retract property rights."

Silence this time. Taron could guess that some frantic browsing through the archives was in progress.

"If action is not immediate, we would be forced to utilise our supplied magical constructs in a direct offensive. Like a doomguard."

This was too much for whoever was in charge of security. A few minutes later, a group of pale and trembling guards unlocked the door to his cell, dragged him through some corridors and ditched him outside.

"Aren't you going to say thank you?" Linda asked.

---

When he was sufficently recovered Taron had a look around the small band who were his rescuers. Close up, it now seemed that they were after all a mere half-dozen soldiers, and mostly poorly equipped.

"Who are these people?"

"Mostly deserters, mercenaries, militiamen, ex-guardsmen, led by my good friend captain Jenneke here. People easily swayed by a larger offer. Like a thousand gold each."

"You don't have that much money!"

"I know. I calculate that most won't come back alive anyways, so it doesn't matter."

This was unexpected. "Where are we going?"

"East, to help Gideon Ironclad retake his empire. And remake the world."

Taron wondered quickly if she was joking, or simply speaking rather ambitious treason. "Are you mad?"

Linda rolled her eyes. "Maybe. But maybe not. Maybe I'm just a genius."

Taron shifted his hand stealthily towards the small crossbow hidden within his cloak. "And what do you want of me?"

Linda grinned. "Companionship, loving friendship, a meat shield and so on, of course. Would a thousand gold do?"

And with that, she gave a quick order and the little band mounted, and rode steadily towards the rising sun. Taron followed reluctantly.

Behind him, a small mule dragged a cart with a passenger too stiff, too tall to be a man.

Crystal eyes glared into empty space.

Linda never bluffs.

OOC: Linda's small band should make pretty rapid progress, being too small to face real military opposition. And though Taron considers Linda's actions to be traitorous, they may not neccessarily be so.

[ Monday, December 29, 2003 17:18: Message edited by: FZ ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #156
"The mercenary's gone."

"Yes." Vida turned away from the window.

"You let him go?" Morgan's brow rose. "Why? And why to the Kylens?"

The woman chuckled, showing the first real amusement in too long. "Those weren't Kylenians. No, Kylenians would be familiar enough with this city to know that they cannot so easily surround us. And they have that cursed doomguard. If I were to gamble, I'd say you'll find our little Solaran mageling out there. Does she honestly think I am that naive?"

Morgan looked out the window. The intruders had disappeared from the compound with speed and efficiency. Her sharp eyes could pick them out now, moving through the streets of the city. She could not see the trailers, but she knew they were there. "So. What now?"

"Now we know what happened to that doomguard. The mageling's been nice enough to bring it here. Time to get it back, I think."

The waiter brought ale and a message: they were wanted out back. Sam and Gan followed him into a small dirty room. A woman stood there, clad in black robes. They recognised her immediately; Morgan, the only mage ever beholden to SAFT.

"Falcon's in drydock and you lot are free," she said without preamble. "We've got a job for you."
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #157
OOC: This is going to be very long, but a lot of it is dialogue. I tend to prefer putting spaces in between my quotes unlike those others that just run them all together to save space.

IC: As they reach the top of the mountain, it becomes apparent that something is wrong in the valley. Belmont can see a slight haze rising from it. As he gets his first clear view of the valley, he lets out a sound of surprise and stops the cart. There is an ever so slight smoky haze in the air over the entire valley, and the same familiar scent of carrion meets both their noses. But it is the city itself that quickly catches his attention. This isn't some small outpost or even a large army fortification like Petoria had made it sound. No, it is a large city in the center of the valley taking up at least a full mile in every direction, with a huge wall surrounding it. On the other side of the city is a massive lake several times bigger than the city. He has always lived in the countryside and has never seen a city or even a lake of this size before until today.

Belmont: "It appears that this valley has been attacked as well! But I...I have never seen a city so big!! What is this place called?"

Putting Burlap out with the use of a forced sleep spell, Petoria carefully props Burlap's head up with a sack of rations and then makes her way to the driver's seat beside Belmont. When she looks down at the valley, she gasps at what she sees.

Petoria: Oh, my god!!! Turin has been attacked!!!"

The city is familiar to her, but the new view she is seeing is not. The main walls around the city are crumbling and some sections are missing altogether, with people working on rebuilding them at different places. Guards are still pacing the narrow walkways on top of the walls, but there are a lot less than she remembered there being before. Some of the internal buildings also have crumbling walls and some are totally collapsed. People are working on them as well. Smoke is billowing up from different sections of the city and there appear to be mass graves being created half a mile from the city.

That leads her eyes off into the rest of the valley. She can see that many of the nearby farms have been burned to the ground as well as the crops. She tells Belmont to continue on and they make their way down the mountain and into the valley. They first come across a similar plain to the one on the other side of the mountain and the same familiar stench of death. Soon they begin seeing bodies lying on the road and in the fields around them.

Petoria: "Dear, god!!!! What has happened to these lands?!! It seems like a massacre!!!"

Belmont: "Should we stop and collect some more weapons?"

Petoria: "Absolutely not!! We must get Burlap some help as soon as possible! Let's hurry on to the city!"

Within an hour, they make it to the city gate. Recognizing one of the city officials who is talking to a guard outside the wall, she calls out to him.

Petoria: "Winston!! Get over here!! I have an injured man!!"

Winston: (Looking over at the woman yelling his name) "Why, it's Petoria!" (Begins running towards cart) "I'm coming, ma'am. I'm coming." (Reaching the cart, he looks up at her) "Who's been hurt?"

Petoria: "It was Burlap!" (Pointing to the figure lying in the back of the cart) "We need to get him to an alchemist quickly!" (Looking back to Winston) "Where's Teri?"

Winston: (Looking into the back of the cart) "Burlap! That is a sad development to say the least." (Looking back to Petoria) "Teri is inside with her patients. She has a lot of them now. (Looking to some of the guards) "Men, carry this man to the alchemist's lodge."

The guards carefully lift out the wounded man and take him inside the city.

Petoria: (Turning her attention back to Winston) "What the blazes has happened here?!"

Winston: (He gets a grim look on his face) "We were attacked by both the Ironclads and the Solarans almost at the same time. I'm not surprised really, seeing as we are so close to both of their borders, right in between them. It was bound to happen sooner or later and their sheer numbers overwhelmed us at first. However, the fates were with us. Once they noticed each other around the sides of the city, most of them stopped attacking the walls and started fighting each other." (Gives off a chuckle)

"They both got the idea that our city held a vantage point over the other, so that's why they both attacked us. (Gives off another chuckle) It was our good luck that they both decided to attack on the same day. Their own greed for the city lead them to challenge each other for it. When they had weakened each other considerably, we sent soldiers out to drive them back to their borders and it worked." (Her gets a slight smile on his face)

Petoria: (Looking confused) "Which directions did they attack from?"

Winston: (Motioning to the plains) "Why, they attacked us from the plains on either side of the city. It's not likely they would come from the Gulf of Jazen. Why?"

Petoria: (In a slight puzzled panic) "Not from the mountain either?"

Winston: "I hardly think they could come over the mountain with much success on that little roadway. What are you getting at?"

Petoria: (Looking around in confusion and then back at Winston) "If that was what went on here, then what the hell happened on the other side of the mountain on the Green Plains?" (Points to the mountain)

Winston: (He flushes over with bewilderment) "What is this that you speak of?"

Petoria: (A look of total surprise flashes over her face) "You didn't know about it?! There are thousands of bodies of dead soldiers from the armies of Ironclad, Sol, and Kylen lying all over the place on the Green Plains and all of the farms and cottages over there have been completely leveled and scorched out of existence. There was a battle for sure, but the scene shows that much more took place than just that."

Winston: "What do you mean by that?"

Petoria: "What I mean is that the farms and crops weren't just burned down. They were literally blown apart by some sort of strong magic. The same can be said of many of the soldiers. Many of them have scorched armor and are lying in unnatural positions. It's almost as if they were thrown through the air by a large amount of released energy, which also roasted them. I surmise that an extremely powerful mage has passed through the plains. I found several areas on the plains where the grasses of the field have been totally burned away the ground scorched badly. Probably firestorm spells, which would explain the large amounts of haze over the Green Plains."

Winston: (Eyes wide with horror, he staggers about a little, and looks at the ground as he speaks) "Is this what you say true?!!!"

Petoria: (A look of concern appears on her face) "Yes, it most definitely is. But..." (Looking daggers at Winston) "I know that look on your face, Winston! You do know something don't you?! Tell me!!!"

Winston: "About four days ago. We heard some loud booming sounds coming from the other side of the mountain. We were going to send out someone to check up on it when the Ironclads and Solarans attacked us. Then we forgot all about it. But during the battle, a guard noticed a dark shrouded figure on a horse riding away across the plain in the direction of the Ironclad border. Just before he passed out of sight at the wooded hills that lead to the border, he dismounted the horse and set it free upon the plains. He then disappeared into the woods."

Petoria: "Damn!!!! That must have been the mage! Well, it's too late to do anything about it now. He would be dozens of miles away from here by now in the heart of Ironclad territory. (Looking back at the cart and remembering the load they brought)
That reminds me. I have a load of weapons, arrows, and such that Belmont and I managed to salvage from the fallen soldiers. They are at your disposal. We also brought a large load of potions that we made together and they too are for Turin to use. We shall stay in the city for a while and help in any way that we can."

Winston: "Thank you most graciously. You can unload your items inside and find a room at the Turin Arms Inn."

Winston sets to work sending men to the Green Plains to help with the bodies and get them buried. Belmont and Petoria go inside, unload their supplies, send the horse and cart to the stables, and head towards the inn.

OOC: Sorry for length. I wanted to break it into two posts, but couldn’t find the best place in it to do so. Info travels slowly to Turin and it may be a few days before they find out about the mutiny.

[ Friday, January 02, 2004 15:19: Message edited by: Sherlock Holmes - MSW ]

--------------------
"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!" - Sherlock Holmes

Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep, two corpses, everthing's fine."

"What do you think I asked you here for? COMPANY?!!!" - Bette Davis
Agent
Member # 464
Profile #158
His plan still fresh in his head, the word Falcon told him that what Morgan has to say has to do something with the cargo they lost.
"As I speak there is a small band travelling in the streets not very far from here," continued Morgan. "They carry the cargo the Falcon lost—a doomguard. We want you to retrieve it as soon as possible. Gather others; there is an apprentice mage among them. Go!"
With that, Sam and Gan rounded up the sailors and other seamen that were present at the inn; they ended up with five others. They raced to the back of the tavern to find themselves four horses. Those who knew how to ride them mounted on, and the others sat behind; Sam rode behind Gan. They split up into two pairs and searched through the streets.
Soon Sam spotted what seemed like their target, a good distance away. Behind him the other pair arrived.
"Leave the horses" he said, and they all dismounted—but walked quickly forward, careful not to give away their quiet chase. "There is an apprentice mage among them, and from what it seems, armed men."
"We will have to snatch the cargo away from them silently," said Gan.
"Or through a distraction," added Boney, who was among them. "I think I know a way." His eyes was set on the children who were ten feet ahead of Linda's band. He quickly disappeared while the rest followed the band steadily.

"All right, children, gather 'round! Want to see some tricks?" Boney becoked a gathering crowd of children. He bought time as much as he could until the band reached him and stopped. In no time, Linda was ordering him to move.
"I am a mage. If you don't want me to fry you with a bolt of lightning, you will be wise enough to move away," she said sternly.
"Aye? Don't talk like that around the children; their ears should not hear such violent speech at such a young age."
Meanwhile, Sam, Gan, and the others, as stealthily as they could, boarded the cart and carried the Doomguard away. At a steady rate, they moved the heavy material away as fast as they could.
They were five yards away when Linda noticed Boney's eyes shifting towards the right every now and then. Her brows met and she quickly turned behind to see an empty cart.
"NO!" she shrieked. "You!" she shrieked some more, turning back to Boney. "Where is it?" By now Taron searched for the Doomguard, and so did the others. Boney got into a state of panick and ran away into the direction where Sam and the others were. Linda chased him and saw the Doomguard being carried. She ran after them, and it wasn't very long before she reached a striking distance for a spell.

--------------------
You go girl!
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #159
Sullust headed towards the center of the river, with the doomguard following. Strangely they seemed unnoticed an remained unscathed on their journey. When he finally reached the center of the river he let out a yell, "Come out you Kylenian dogs and fight like men!"
Instantly the nearby brush seemed to come alive as Kylenians seemed to suddenly appear from nothing. As they readied their bows time seemed to stop flowing and the dark mage once again appeared.
~~
"I have come to collect my bounty Sullust."
"But you promised me that I would be able to take the river!"
"Do not misread my words. I merely promised you the man power to do it. It seems to me that you are at the river. Now it is my turn to collect my payment." With a snap of his fingers the doomguard shattered into its components. "You didn't think that was real did you? I would never trust someone as yourself with such an artifact. Now for my payment. It shall be my reward to watch you die."
~~
As he finished his words the wizard slowly faded away and time began moving as it did before. The Kylenians finished loading their bows and each took aim at Sullust. He remained motionless as one of the Kylenians walked out towards him.
"I shall give you an option. You can either surrender to us and perhaps live, or die here today. What is your choice?"
"I surrender."
The man walked closer to shackle Sullust's wrists, but was unaware of what he had planned. When the Kylenian was finally within striking distance Sullust grabbed him and held a knife to his throat. Using his other hand he grabbed a small crossbow and fire a canister into the air. It exploded and lit the sky ablaze. He then whispered into the soldiers ear, "If I die here today it will be a death of honor. I will never surrender to your kind."
With that all of the archers simultaneously released their arrows. Each of them found a mark, within the body of the poor Kylenian soldiers as Sullust ducked under the surface. When he resurfaced Sullust stood proud of what he saw. On both sides of the river his men had pushed through and begun battling with the Kylenians. They had a chance to take this river yet. As he charged onward into the melee he heard the voice of the mage in his head.

Mark my words Sullust, I will see you die before this war is over.
~~
The battle finally ended a few hours later. It was a phyrric victory for Sullust and his men, but they had managed to do the impossible. Now it was the Kylenians who were split off.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #160
"Sullust. That's who it is that has given us such trouble lately."
"Sullust? Odd name for an Imperial officer, isn't it?"
"Quite. Sounds almost Pralgadian." The Kylenian gives a pointed shrug. "What are we to do? The rebel scum have cut us off, and we desperately need to get home to fight them."
"It seems as if every right-thinking man in the Empire should band together against these scum, sir, if you do understand my meaning."
The lieutenant sneers. "Yeah. Karadas and Hugo side-by-side. Makes for nice propaganda, son, but I doubt it'll ever happen."
"Well, sir, we do need to get back home."
"Send in a delegate under a white flag. Tell Sullust what's happening in the rest of the Empire. If he chooses to attack me after that, may the Gods have mercy on his forsaken soul."

"What kind of fool do you take me for? I know that as soon as we get out of here, you're going to shoot me in the back."
"What do I have to gain by doing that, Karadas?"
"What do I have to gain by helping you get out? You get home, you're going to get medals, fame, money, and a barony under that false Emperor. I get home, I get to play babysitter some more for a doddering old wine-sniffer who thinks that, if we close our eyes and think happy thoughts, the world is going to turn out all right. The simple fact is, you have a gamble to make, but I'm going to do a midair Continental either way. Why prolong the inevitable?"
"I know what you think about me, Karadas, but I am not a dishonest man. If I get out of here, I will do everything in my power, up to getting rid of Kylen, to make sure that the right-thinking men in this world get rid of these damn rebels. You understand? Even if they shoot you now, you'll have died making sure we go on having an Emperor, no matter who he is."

Karadas mutters below his breath. "I'm not in much a shape to run, not after the wound you inflicted."
"Oh, blow it out your ear. I don't think there's a priest in Aizo who wouldn't be proud of the job the healer you got did on it."
"Fine. We're fighting together, aren't we?"
"Yeah. For now, anyway."
"Then I suppose you'll want this." He hands Hugo a red bottle filled with oily fluid. Hugo shoots him a questioning look. "They thought it was liquor. Don't shake it too hard." He looks thoughtful. "It's a wonder they haven't already --"
An explosion shakes what seems to be the whole world. Karadas nods pointedly. "Move it, you rebel bastard!"
"Up yours, elitist scum!" The two generals give savage, hushed laughs as they burst forth from the tent. The guard posted to them lifts his sword and is promptly dropped with an elbow to the face by Karadas. More soldiers approach, and Hugo gives a hard throw. The bottle lands in the middle of the Republican forces and there is an impressive explosion. "The stables are that way! Let's go!"
The two old enemies hurried off in the direction of the stables.

--------------------
¡Viva Chile!
¡Viva el Pueblo!
¡Vivan los Trabajadores!

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #161
The man Sullust had sent on ahead reached the remnants of the Ironclad cavalry just as Sullust himself ducked under the Kylenian's arrows. They rode as hard as the could to the river, but by the time they reached it, the battle was over; Sullust was victorious. They joined Sullust and his men and aided them in mopping up the remaining Kylens by that section of the river.
By that time, news of the current events had reached the Kylenian river guard. From the derisive taunts of several captured and dying Kylenian soldiers, Sullust understood what was happening in Pralgrad. His loyalty to the Emperor overrode all other reactions to the news; he immediately sent the cavalry off to complete the isolation and destruction of Kylen's river forces. Sullust himself rode south with the rest of his men, to secure Lord Dekker's land against revolution and invasion.

Meanwhile, Gideon Ironclad was not faring so well. He and his men had quickly outdistanced the tired Kylenians, but they knew that when they reached the east coast, they were trapped. They all considered it a gift of the gods when General Hugo broke off the pursuit; even more so when they realized that they now had a means of direct communication with the SAFT.
"My liege! Look! Open your eyes, we're safe! Look!"
"What is that... a boat... two boats..."
"It's the SAFT! That little boat is just a fishing vessel, but the bigger ship out there is one of the SAFT's 'merchants'," said the guard. "Quick, let's see if we can get on that fishing boat."
The Emperor and his guards reached the shore just as the fishing ship was being pulled up by three strong men. When they saw the Emperor they cried out in surprise and bowed low, dropping their nets and oars; the Emperor quickly found himself sitting in the middle of a small, rickety rowboat, with four guards around him, two rowing. Hugging himself to keep warm, Gideon Ironclad tried to decide which was better; a terrified horse, or this. He quickly decided that nothing could be worse than a boat, and only kept himself still by reminding himself that the boat was wobbling enough already, without him moving. Before long, the little boat had drawn up alongside the SAFT ship, and many arrows were trained directly on the Emperor.
"Friend or foe?" cried a sailor.
"Do we have a choice?" yelled a guard. "Help us up!"
The guards and the Emperor were soon standing on deck, the Emperor shivering in the wind.
"What brings you here, sir?" inquired a man who appeared to be the leader of the archers.
"A little more respect -" began a guard.
"Quiet. You are on my ship," interrupted the man in a voice that sounded almost polite.
"Where is your captain?" asked the Emperor.
"Sick. I serve in his place for now."
"Right then. What do you want?"
"Sorry?"
"What do you want?"
"I don't follow you, sir."
"My empire has been pulled out from under me, my council has defected to Kylen, and these men, along with those on the shore, are the only ones I know I can trust. You have ships, you have men, you can help. You refused before because you assumed that I would simply make the SAFT another part of the bureaucracy. Now I do not even have that option, and the question is, what do you want?"
"I think we'd better ask Vida about this..." said the sailor, with obvious sympathy for the Emperor's plight. "Are you being chased?"
"Not at the momentl they turned aside."
"Maybe you should get the rest of your men on board. I'll send some boats to shore for them."
The Emperor turned to his guard. "Is this wise?"
"We hardly have a choice, at this point, my liege," replied the guard. "Even if we wanted to go back to shore, I'm not sure we could; you may have lost most of your power, but I don't think the SAFT would pass up this oppurtunity. Anyway, it could very well work out for the better. I saw the sympathy in that man's eyes."
"Very well then."
The Emperor and his men were led to elaborate cabins; Gideon Ironclad assumed that he was now in the quarters of the sick captain, if that man even existed. The fishing boat was returned to the fishers, who became a local legend, and the SAFT ship sent out another boat to get another "merchant" to take over guarding the coast while the ship with Gideon Ironclad aboard set off at full speed towards Vida's headquarters.

OOC: Argh. Sorry for the quality, or lack thereof, of this post. I'm going to break my one-post-a-day rule tomorrow so I can make up for it.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #162
OOC: I've been extremely inactive because I couldn't think of a way to get my character out. Congrats FZ, that was a cool idea. :)

IC:

Taron wondered about what was going on. Linda seemed to have gone over to Ironclad, or at least that was what he had deduced from what she told him. He was violently opposed to treason, but on the other hand Linda had just got him out of the SAFT headquarters, so he figured he owed her. Besides, well, it wasn't treason as long as he did not know where they were going, and she hadn't payed him, and he hadn't fought anyone. And she hadn't said they were going to fight for Ironclad that openly, had she? No, there had only been remote hinting. No treason at all.

He chuckled as he realized the line of thought he was following. Time enough to worry about loyalty later. For now, he'd follow her group of mercenaries.

Also, the Doomguard did rather impress him.

"You stole it from Sol?", he asked amusedly, still chuckling.

"I wouldn't trust it all that much though." his expression became sober. "The sender was not named, but the documents were precise enough to say that it was picked up by the Falcon from an Imperial ship some distance from the coast at East Pralgrad. There aren't all that many Imperial ships, and they're controlled by the Ironclads." he looked up nervously at the gigantic golem. "When the Ironclads give the Kylens a Doomguard in these times, you'd wonder what it does once you turn it on."

Linda told him what it did once you turned it on.

"I guess I've been lagging behind the plot lately," he said, wincing as he looked back at the deadly construct.

A while later, there was an old sailor surrounded by a group of little children on the road, effectively blocking it. Linda shouted at them to get out of the way, and while she and the sailor were arguing, Taron noticed the cloth-covered cart he was leaning against from the right shifting slighty. He assumed the mule had stepped to the side. Just a few moments later, Linda turned back towards the cart and gave a shout. The cover was open at the front and back, and so she saw that the Doomguard was missing. Taron realized from her expression what must happened immediately. Turning, he and the other fighters followed Linda and the sailor, running back down the alley, looking from side to side as they went. If I let that Doomguard be stolen right from under my arm, Linda will absolutely kill me. She already seems to think I'm an idiot.

Luckily, a Doomguard is not an easy thing to carry even for seven strong seamen. It was not a whole minute before they rounded a corner and could see the thieves in the distance. They would soon have a fight on their hands. Still no treason though. Those aren't Solarans. He would need to stop thinking in those terms soon, he knew; it would give him trouble at some point.

Pity I didn't get my bow. Angrily, he dismissed the thought of going back to the SAFT guards and demanding it back. Good bows were hard to come by in the best of times, and in war... he shook his head as he drew the dagger out of his boot and raced onwards, even as he saw Linda weaving a spell. Combat magic. Now there's a useful thing you could have learnt in all that time you spent in the library.

--------------------
Nasty trickster stalking the web! 406 victims! "
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
The Encyclopædia Ermariana is growing. ;)
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #163
(OOC: The Solarans are not attacking the Kylenians. They never have been.)

General Frederic marched his army south, coming up against ragtag bands of what he thought was Ironclad resistance. When he got to the river, he met a strange assortment of Ironclads and Kylenians talking and planning. Thinking that they had joined forces against them, Frederic ordered his troops to scatter, and he and a messenger approached Karadas and Hugo.

"What matter of foulness is this? Such an assortment of men can bring about no good."

"Ah, my dear misguided Solaran, we band together against a new menace, one which threatens us all," replied Karadas.

"And what menace would that be? Certainly not the Solarans!"

"Of course not. There have been organized rebellious armies calling themselves the Populist Republicans, and they aim to remove the office of Emperor completely."

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #164
They couldn't get away fast enough. Not lugging a ton and a half of golem. A quick forcecage, and 2 of the raiders were down, and the others threw down their arms quickly when they realised how outnumbered they were. Good men. Not stupid. And there was a dire shortage of good men these days.

Linda did the only thing that was sensible. She offered them a job. A few grumbled, and the forcecaged duo were rather hostile as the spell wore off, but an offer of a thousand gold quietened most of their quibbles. After all, by coming with Linda, they were indeed assuring that the doomguard got returned to its owner - it will just take a little longer.

The single naive fool who didn't listen for sense was tied up and locked - for his own protection, of course - in a nearby cellar.

---

And then, a quick debrief of the remaining men brought the bad news, and the good news.

"Bad news?"

"Well yes. I always guessed that the doomguard was sent by the ironcladists as a trap deal sort of thing. But the fact that that group got sent specifically to retrieve it casts doubt on it. Since we know that the Ironclads are in a state of utter disarray, it is unlikely that they are simultaneously working on this doomguard scheme."

Taron wondered if that could ever make any sense. But Linda continued regardless.

"Consider what would happen if the doomguard was deployed now in the hands of the kylenians. Gideon Ironclad is nowhere in sight. The Ironclad faction as a whole cannot profit from it. But an independent agent, one of many newly freed ex-Ironcladists, will. It would be an awesome show of strength, and with that, there is no longer any need for an emperor as a figurehead. This whole land can be taken by force and terror in days. The doomguard, as a weapon, is very difficult to use in a real battle - people can just run away out of the 10 mile radius, and that's that. Its real effectiveness comes in destroying whole cities, annihilating innocent, and trapped citizens."

"So..."

"If there is, as I believe an independent mage around with a good supply of these things, we are in deep trouble. And that's we, as in everybody on Praglad."

Taron smiled in perverse triumph. So his paranoia was justified after all. "And the good news?"

"Well, it seems my forcecage spell works after all."

"Ah."

"Actually, the real good news is that Gideon Ironclad himself is coming to us. His ship will dock just southeast of here to restock sometime tonight. If we hurry, we can get an audience with him before he meets anyone else."

Taron did his best to be optimistic. "So an army of invincible doomguards are going to kill everybody, and the best thing you come up with is a visit to a man without a real army under his control, with hundreds of thousands of rebels baying for his blood, hates us utterly, and who never had any real power in the first place?"

"Oh, and one of the SAFT men brought a flask of ale."

Simply perfect.

OOC: Sam may or may not have joined Linda's little band. Up to you.

[ Tuesday, December 30, 2003 13:44: Message edited by: FZ ]
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #165
Considering the events of the past few days, Emperor Gideon Ironclad was pretty well off.
The captain-archer was obviously an Ironclad sympathizer; the guards decided that the sick captain didn't really exist. The captain-archer, after putting the Emperor and his men in the best quarters available, with the best food available cooked by the best cooks available, told the Ironcladists that they would be taken to Vida, after a stop to pick up a shipment. Of what, he wouldn't say; but the guards got the feeling that it involved weapons of some sort, and that the Emperor was safer on this ship than he would be anywhere else.

And, being members of the SAFT, these sailors knew pretty much everything that was going on. The Emperor heard about Sullust's success in the south, about the Kylenian and Solaran invasions, and, most importantly, about the Populist uprising. At this news, the Ironcladists smiled. The Emperor had lost most of his power, and the Solarans and Kylenians were in control of most of Pralgrad. But their plans had backfired; they had preached discontent and rebellion, and their supporters were those who wanted quick change. Now that they understood that, whichever faction won, they would be stuck with an emperor, these rebels were not happy. The Populist rebellion, they told Gideon Ironclad, was mainly made up of former Kylenian and Solaran supporters. The Ironcladists were people who wanted an emperor, people who did not see the need for change. So when the Populist revolution began, the Ironcladists did not even consider joining. Emperor Gideon Ironclad saw this new faction as a double edged sword; sure, he had already lost most of his support, but now he did not have as far to fall. Sol and Kylen did, and the Populists were the grease on the increasingly slippery slope.

"We will stop in the night, sir," the captain told Gideon Ironclad. "You should get sleep now."
And he did; while the majority of his men stayed up, warily watching the shore and the sailors all around them, the Emperor slept on a bed fit for, well, and Emperor. He almost forgot he was on a ship, until he was woken up hours later.
"My liege," said the guard by his bed. "My liege."
"What..."
Gideon Ironclad wearily lifted his head, then sat straight up.
"Where am - oh. Right. Why did you wake me up?"
"We've docked. Crandall wants to see you."
"Who?"
"Crandall. The archer. Captain. Whatever he is."
"Oh..." sighed the Emperor. "Tell him to wait till tomorrow."
"I did. He says he needs you now. We won't be docked long."
Gideon Ironclad yawned. "Light a candle. Where's my cloak?"
"Right here, my liege," said the guard, giving it to him. "It's not too cold."
The Emperor yawned again, stood, put the cloak on, and walked towards the door. As he stepped onto the deck, his men formed a protective circle around him.
"Ah, there you are, sir. Come along, please, we are going ashore."
"For how long? What is the meaning of this?"
"Oh, there's somethign interesting you might want to see," said Crandall, smiling mysteriously. "We won't be a moment. And after this we will sail straight on to see Vida."
"Thank you," Ironclad said, yawning, not quite paying attention. "We'll see her tomorrow?"
"Yes, sir. Ah, there they are. Let's go."

OOC: Yeah, I have no idea what this audience is about, but there I am, ready for FZ's or Arancaytar's next post.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In 0;a href="http://www.ironycentral.com" target="_blank">case[/url] of emergency, break glass.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #166
There was a certain procedure for meeting heads of state, even ones fleeing for their lives, and Linda chose deliberately to flout it. It was clear from the moment she stepped into Gideon Ironclad's prescence that this was entirely successful. If anything, they certainly did have their full and undivided attention.

Lord Ironclad gave an expression of utter indignation, and Linda heard the sound of a dozen crossbows being cocked and aimed. Good start, then.

"Hail Gideon Ironclad, Emperor of no empire, Commander of no army, guest of a hostile power. I am Linda of Sol, and I offer you my service."

A few guards shifted their weaponary in a meaningful manner.

"Your council has betrayed you, as they had intended from the start. Your allies have abandoned you, for you no longer have any value for him. You live now only on the traditionalist whims of old men, and the old men are dying."

Gideon was livid now. "Speak quickly, for you are soon to die."

"I'll give you a free word of warning. The moment you set foot in SAFT HQ, your life expectancy shall be counted in hours. Vida will either hand you over to the Solarans, or put you in the hands of traitors. And you have nothing to offer her, no way to save your life."

"And why should I trust the word of a traitor?"

"I am no traitor. I do not betray this land, only serve it in ways nobody, perhaps not even I, know. You should trust me for you have no one else to trust."

"Lies!"

"Think on it. Your council was never on your side. You were only a tool for them, by which their petty desires could be reached. Your magi were concerned only with their own power - one had attempted to attack us enroute, a move that was calculated only to maintain your isolation and speed your doom. Your armies are mostly loyal to your treacherous council, and are on the most part broken and worthless now. Even if they are to win, you can never be an emperor of old - for no hero-emperor can have fallen as you have. Here, on this little dock in this cold night, our little band are the only friends you have."

At least the Emperor wasn't laughing anymore.

"I come to you, because I believe that only you can save this land. For only you have the ability to unite, only you have the humility that comes from defeat, and only you have nothing more to lose - except your life of course. I come to offer you a new army, and a new empire - the empire of the people."

Gideon Ironclad appeared too stunned to respond.

"For all the uproar, the populists do not hate you. They hate what you represented, the old empire, the empire of oppression. And they are right - too long has Praglad been ruled tby those afraid of change, of men isolated and unaccountable. They await you now, for you to be an Emperor not over the people, but an Emperor of the people. The other factions are unwise. They see the republicans as scum to be trodden down, to be crushed and destroyed - but this scum will not die. They are like the doomguard - harm them and they grow stronger, until they are a raging blaze."

Linda paused. Gideon's expression was unreadable. Was he angered enough to order their deaths? Was he intrigued but held back by his inborn principles? Or did he truly trust in what she is saying?

"You must address the people. You must set fire to their hearts, and reforge the empire as whole again. You must accept the changes that must occur. Or else the bickering of the factions shall tear this land apart, to the ruin of all."

Her speech was complete. As she waited for the Emperor's response, she was acutely aware of the doomguard and Taron hidden carefully out of sight, with instructions to switch on the golem if anything went wrong.

Considering the array of firepower trained upon her, hidden inadequately in the shadows, if anything did go wrong, she probably wouldn't feel it.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #167
After his recent victory Sullust found the troops of Lord Dekker's fortress much more willing to join him. He left towards the East with more than have of them men originally stationed in the compound. With the northern river secured he intended to 'purge' the Ironclad lands of the Kylenian forces.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Agent
Member # 464
Profile #168
Sam was very frustrated, but there was nothing he could do. Now he's tied and locked up in a cellar. He also couldn't believe that Gan went along with them; he didn't seem like the fellow. Then again, money can be very persuasive.
He now knows that the cargo they lost is a Doomguard, but his satisfaction for curiosity is no longer important. He struggled against the bonds but to no avail. For now all he can do is ponder about whatever he likes, until someone came down the cellar to find him and release him.
He didn't notice himself doze off until a faint noise from the outside world reached his ears. Someone had just entered the cellar.
"Who's there?" he said out loud.
"Who's there?" called the man back.
"I'm tied up, let me free," replied Sam.
It turned out to be one of the bartender's helpers. He helped Sam out of the ropes. After thanking him, Sam went outside as quickly as possible. There was no sign of them. He sighed deeply and hoped that what happens next won't be as bad as he think.

--------------------
You go girl!
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #169
OOC: Was the Doomguard I was on my way to guard the one that was stolen? I'm confused because there are 2+ Doomguards right now and 1 was stolen.

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #170
OOC: I've already eliminated the doomguard I foolishly brought into the story. There is only one now and that is the one that was stolen.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #171
The remaining SAFT members edged back into the shadows. Gan grimaced as he crossed over the lip of an alley and onto the roof of the building. He was getting too old for this, and damn if he didn't wish Sam was here. Ah, but the lad was just too headstrong for his own good. Gan just hoped he'd be alright in that cellar.

Taron's attention shifted from the meeting. Turning to the side, he saw one of the newer members of Linda's little group sidle towards him silently but casually. Taron's hand tightened on the hilt of his sheathed blade; no matter Linda's apparent confidence in the power of gold, he didn't trust these men. After Vida's promotional spiel to him at SAFT headquarters, he'd wondered at the ease with which these sailors had joined them.

And he was right to wonder, he discovered, as something heavy and hard dropped on his head.

The sounds of a scuffle reached Linda from the alley where the doomguard lay in hiding.

"Who? Who is it?"

Morgan fought the urge to step back; an angry Vida was a common sight, but a furious Vida - that was something she'd seen only a few times. And strangely enough, at times very similar to this. A furious Vida was not a good sight. No, not at all.

"Who would dare betray me?"

Someone always died. Sometimes more than one. Vida rounded on the mage, and this time Morgan did take a step back - and ducked as the vase went tumbling over her head to smash against the wall. The last time she'd seen Vida this angry had been the day the Barracuda set sail, the day that Vida had discovered treachery hidden amongst her husband's notes. Word had gotten around after that, and she'd had no more cause for fury. Until now.

"Who?"

Morgan winced as Vida's piercing scream rang in her ears. "The captain sent word through the secure channels. There are only a few couriers." Morgan paused; she could see that the forced calmness of her tone was not having the effect she had hoped. "Or it may be that someone on the ship got word out."

Her expression had gone from fury to cold, cold rage. "The mageling is beginning to annoy me. Perhaps it's time I taught her a lesson."

At least, Morgan thought, she isn't throwing anything now. But she took note of Vida's face, and knew. More than one person would die. She felt a pang of regret for the doomed couriers. The leak in SAFT's security would be plugged. Vida's last order reached her from the figure rapidly diminishing down the hallway.

"Find the traitor."
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #172
(OOC: Sullust, what about the alliance with Hugo and Karadas?)

Jehan Sol prepared to ride into battle as the last emperor of his kind - the hero and the warrior emperor. Attacking the main Populist stronghold on the west coast would show them that the Solarans did not play around with rebels. Before they rode for Bale, he delivered a rousing speech to his troops, where he instructed them to take no prisoners and fight for the glory of Sol.

And then they rode.

When they got to Bale, they saw the archers on the city walls, waiting for the Solaran army to get into range. They never got the chance. Solaran crossbowmen killed the archers before they even knew what was coming. Scaling the wall was easier as the defenders were in disarray, and the first man over ran down to open the gates. Solaran troops poured in, killing everyone and everything in sight.

The former mayor of Bale, now a Populist Major, tried to flee, but a dagger from Jehan Sol's hand caught him as he was about to board his boat. Women and children were not spared, as the whole town was set aflame, and it was left to burn on the horizon as the bloody troops returned to Solaria. Upon their return, they found Commandant Krilon ready to deliver the unconditional surrenders of seven more Populist cities, leaving the only remaining Populist strongholds on the southeastern outskirts of Solaran territory, but fortified with retreating troops from the surrendered cities.

(OOC: I'll update the map soon)

--------

Upon learning of the theft of the doomguard, Jehan Sol immediately ordered a team to retrieve it. And that pesky mage and mercenary. Treason was the most grievous crime anyone in Solaria could commit, and harboring traitors was not much worse. He dispatched Captain Kevin to find them, along with an elite combat team assembled under Sergeant Lincoln.

They were to capture the traitors and the doomguard, and to return both to him. If he could only take one of the two, he wanted the doomguard and the traitors dead. Anything less was unacceptable, and two failures from the same captain would certainly result in a large punishment.

--------

As Kevin and Lincoln rode south, General Frederic was consolidating his forces in Ironclad territory. He didn't dare leave the city of Rexan with only a small cadre of troops, so he was limited in his approach. North of Rexan were no cities, only small farms that sold food at a good profit to the Solaran troops. No resistance would come from the north. The main Populist resistance was to the south, along with remnants of the Ironclad army.

He had received Sol's decree on the Populists - they were to be exterminated with extreme prejudice, with no prisoners. They were a greater threat now than the Ironclads, but he still had to be aware of Hugo and Karadas' combined might.

--------

In the capital, a shadow lurked behind a building. Soon, another joined it. The first slumped in relief as the second came.

"I thought you'd never come."

"There are more troops patrolling the streets nowadays."

"Do you have it?"

"Of course I do. Do you have your payment?"

The shadow pulled a bag from inside of his coat. It clinked like a bag heavy with silver.

They made the exchange, and both shadows left the meeting spot.

As the second was heading back, he walked into three sneakthieves, who quickly removed him of his life and of his silver.

The three of them went to the meeting point, where they met with the first shadow again.

"My boys, we have it now. Let's start this now."

--------------------
====
====
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #173
OOC: Word travels slowly, Sullust hasn't heard yet :P . Why didn't the bowmen shoot the crossbow men first? They have a larger range.

[ Wednesday, December 31, 2003 06:31: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #174
Not by definition. It's true that longbows had a greater range than any crossbow that could be loaded by a single person (although arbalests had more range still, they required two men and a ratchet.) However, not every bow is a longbow. Most bows actually have shorter range.

IC:

As Corim stood at the head of the canyon, he marvelled at the resourcefulness of Aizoim. The top of the canyon was barely a meter wide, and the ends were both concealed in caves. It made the perfect hiding place. Unfortunately, it also made the perfect trap.

Of course, Aizoim had realised that. So he'd had tunnels. Four or five tunnels, leading out of the canyon to brilliantly disguised exits. He'd also told the Solaran agent exactly where they were, in case the Imperial army ever blockaded the canyon and he needed to get in.

Now it was only a matter of time. Each of the canyon's exits was surrounded by Imperial pikemen and archers. The natives inside prepared a last defense. Unfortunately, the canyon was not the best place for a last defence. At the top, uprooted bushes were covered in oil, set alight, and dropped in. Screams from the canyon below were shortly followed by a stampede towards the southern exit. The general turned his horse, and signalled. With the entire cavalry detachment of the Imperial army following him, he raced the Aizoan lizard riders to the end of the canyon. And got there exactly when he'd planned-slightly late.

Earlier that day, engineers had constructed pathways down the side of the canyon walls. In their haste, the Aizoans either did not notice them or did not care. The lizards' charge broke on the upheld pikes of the imperial soldiers, arrows flying overhead all the while. As the melee fighting began, the imperial cavalry arrived-behind the lizards. Trapped between two forces, with no escape in any direction, the cavalry fought bravely, but were wiped out to a man. The victorious general turned his almost unscathed army and headed down the canyon, meeting as they went small bands of fleeing archers. These dropped their weapons at the sight of the horses, and were duly rounded up. As they approached the centre of the canyon, they were met by a strange sight: two lizards, with a palanquin tied between them. On it sat a strange figure-a native, adorned with a strange kind of crown, and holding an impressive-looking sword. As the horsemen approached, he descended from the palanquin and dropped to one knee. Corim held up a hand to stop the cavalry, and descended from his horse.

The man-obviously Aiozim-took the crown from his head, and reversing his sword, offered them both to the Imperial General. Corim took them with equal solemnity, then helped the native to his feet.

====

The Aizoan fleet was nearly ready. Leaving Colonel Coris to hold the Imperial forts, Warderson plans to sail for Pralgad with the majority of the Imperial Army. What he will do when he gets there, he has disclosed to no-one.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The misc board's thriving, and there're plenty good RPs. Join now! H00rj!
Agent
Member # 464
Profile #175
"Watch it!" said a passerby as Sam bumped into him. Sam ignored him; in fact, he was indifferent to his immediate surroundings. He was muttering to himself, head down, and kicking a stone in front of him. His hands were in his pockets.
In his ears came the soft sound of a scuffle, but it really didn't matter to him. "...money...loyalty...friend...." Words that softly came out of him. He sighed again. Looking up, he saw the place they had passed carrying the heavy chunk of metal.
The faint scuffle was still heard, and this time he had a little more consciousness about it. Deciding to see what it was about, he walked over in that direction; it was far better than kicking a stone and bumping into the rest of the city.

--------------------
You go girl!

Pages