Avernum 4 Complete Wish List

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4 Complete Wish List
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #200
-please bring the spells back, you remember exile with tons of useless spells? they should be back, they were very funny or at least were a perfect decoration in the spell menu.

-where are the field spells? i want flame, ice and all the other walls, and quickfire that isnt too usefull but how funny is it! and i want to create magic barriers too.

-Other thing is the spell with area of effect, do you remember the glorius fireball?now its is replaces by spells that you have to do about 8 click every time you cast it (they are usefull anyway). and please, please bring the curse and slow spells, in avernum curse was almost completely removed, slow is a ****, only your foes can cast it on you and it work, but for you?
oh no! the enemy resist. remember in exile the slow group and cure all, they were GREAT.

-well, i want the poison spells too.

-and poison for the weapon.

-another continent for explore

the last thing: wouldnt be great if in the future jeff create a game where the empire fights againt the shaper, playing for both sides like in nethergate? think about it.
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #201
quote:
Originally written by chicho:

the last thing: wouldnt be great if in the future jeff create a game where the empire fights againt the shaper, playing for both sides like in nethergate? think about it.
I'd rather not, thanks. Though everything else in that list sounds alright.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #202
Great suggestions, though I've really made all of these on my original list that noone reads now or pays any heed to.

Still beats whatever the hell happened on page 8 with the kilts, eh?
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #203
what i would really really wish for A4 is a good spell that can increase spell energy like it increases health

And yes... the eternal wish... please do NOT change the Engine :P

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #204
A spell to increase spell points would kind of be unbalanced - you'd never run out. There's no tradeoff besides AP.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #205
Drakey's right, maybe an expensive potion that restores 5 or 10 would be more balanced.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #206
It’s pretty clear that the overall mood is that people who are veterans of the Exile Series want to see a lot of what made the Exile series great that Avernum lacked put into Avernum. I couldn’t agree more.

The following are my takes on the situation, and I apologize if they’ve already been stated- 9 pages is a lot to read through and chances are I’d forget what was said at the beginning by the time I reached the end anyways.

Weapon variety in the Avernum series is disturbingly absent. You have “melee weapons” (swords) and pole weapons (spears). When I picked up Smite in the Avernum series for the first time to find it had been turned into a pointy stick called “Giantslayer,” I was disappointed. Maces are the staple for your classical clerical-priestly types, and sometimes I want the Thor-like hammer wielding Viking warrior instead of Mr. SwordNShield.

Weapon poison, poison in general, and even more general: Ways to do nasty things to your opponents other than damage. Honestly, the Avernum series has no spell variety what so ever in comparison to Exile. Exile’s spell list was positively monstrous, and I loved it. “Should I blow him up, fry him up, freeze him, gas him, stop him, swear at him, zap him, summon horrible minions of darkness upon him, or simply Kill him?” Being able to do oh so much to your enemies was exhilarating. And Quickfire… tell me you didn’t enjoy this spell. Go ahead, tell me. Oh, wait, you can’t. I do think the graphic could stand to be a bit more fiery and less electric, but there you go.

And everyone loves weapon poison. In fact, why stop at poison? Why not elemental oils or polishes to add temporary extra damage or other special effect like sleep or cursing?

Ambidexterity: This is something I truly miss from Exile. Overpowered though it may have been, it lead to some of the most interesting combinations imagined. Honestly, my favorite view of the fighter type is the double sword wielding one. Unfortunately these are often a) unavailable, or b) “balanced” as to be completely useless in comparison (See “World of Warcraft”). I’m sure Jeff would do some serious balancing of this concept if he put it back into the Avernum series, but I hope he doesn’t “balance” it to the point of it being useless. What too many programmers fail to see when they balance two-weapon fighting is that to use a really nice two-handed weapon you only need to get your hands on ONE really nice two-handed weapon. To use a weapon in each hand effectively, you need twice the item power. There should be an advantage, but no one seems inclined to admit this.

Item Crafting- Not only do I see this happening, but I do not see how this couldn’t happen. It was a thrilling success in Geneforge 3, people love putting their names on weapons of mass destruction that they create (not in a real-world sense of course), and there’s something satisfying about putting all those rare but seemingly useless reagents into some Deadly Axe of Ultimate Doomedness. Jeff has already proven he has the skills for this- I’m sure he’ll show them to a much greater extent in his next opus.

Alchemy- I liked the alchemy system in Exile more… this generic “Healing Herbs,” “Energetic Herbs” “Spiritual Herbs” ect, thing really seems dumbed-down to me.

The Vahnatai as a player race: eh, I could go either way. I don’t see it happening, however, unless Avernum 4 was all underground again. Remembering Avernum 3, they burn in sun light like Chevy Chase at a comedy roast. That, and I think being able to play as one would somewhat disillusion the race’s status… then again, that’s probably a good thing. They could stand to be taken down a peg or two.

Races in general: I liked how Jeff did more and more with incorporating different racial reactions in the Avernum series. How the Empire freaked out at the Nephilim and worse at the Slithzerkai. I hope this trend continues, or even better, grows to be more encompassing. I’d honestly like to see differences between the races magnified myself (am I the only one who finds it strange that the Slithzerkai are said not to wear boots in Avernum 1, but do so happily in the sequel if in your party?) , and maybe some racial abilities would be nice, but probably too much to ask.

Something random: Why was Demonslayer in Rentar’s personal chambers?

Plot stuff – I honestly hope this isn’t too far in the future from Avernum 3. Four or five years maybe, a decade possibly, but I don’t want the events of the trilogy to be made into obscure history at this point.

Regardless of how many community wishes or speculations appear in Avernum 4, I’m sure it’ll be great. Jeff’s been in the business for years – he knows what he’s doing by now.

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #207
Perhaps a channeling spell such as Symbiosis from the Exile series to transfer health or energy between characters rather than simply a spell which allows one to increase spell energy. This could be balanced by taking a larger amount from the first target and only giving a portion of this to the second target. As the level of the caster goes up the spell is yields more of what it takes. Perhaps even a random chance for a character of a low level to accidentally draw too much from their ally and kill them...

EDIT: Of course, this encourages players to create characters merely to hold HP or spell points which is a bad thing.

[ Thursday, July 28, 2005 12:27: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #208
If you have dead weight characters, you're shooting yourself in the foot. They'll still suck experience, take up a slot that could be filled with a useful party member, and generally be worthless. Even deleting and creating new ones at need isn't very efficient, because you're still wasting experience and by the end of the game they'll have a life expectancy of seconds.

A siphon spell could work just fine in a regular party, though. Get some use out of the minimal spell point reservoirs your meat shields accumulate and spread the health equally. Actually, a damaging health-stealing spell would be fun as well, especially in a Mindduel setup. A way to excise your enemies' spell points would be equally useful.

—Alorael, who will summarize all this by saying that Mindduel was a very fun spell and should be brought back, expanded, and resold in a gold edition.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #209
There should be an anti-magic field spell to keep enemies from casting spells or targeting your party.

>“Should I blow him up, fry him up, freeze him, gas him, stop him, swear at him, zap him, summon horrible minions of darkness upon him, or simply Kill him?”<

You forgot paralyze, murder him in a sleep cloud, or curse him.

[ Thursday, July 28, 2005 16:51: Message edited by: Ornk of Death ]

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #210
"Shall I drop an excessively large spell and kill my fighters too?" and "Shall I place a bunch of damaging walls on or in front of him?" are also good ones.

—Alorael, who personally likes surrounding with Force Barriers and leaving to rot.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #211
36 - PLEASE! YES YES! Remove that stupid level cap for all eternity! I personally banish it to Hell! It makes the game so BORING after a certain point, namely what is supposed to be, "the good part."

Oh, and I'm also one of the jerks who thinks Avernum would be cool online somehow. Or some game similar to it! Yay!

Almighty Jeff, do you copy?

[ Friday, July 29, 2005 13:56: Message edited by: Chief Spider watching The Simpsons ]

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #212
If the Vahnatai were a playable race I wouldn't use them because of my hatred for them. They're cooler and more skillful than I can ever hope to be so I will avoid them. hmmpffh

(pouts)

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #213
What level cap?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 6162
Profile #214
I think the fun of Avernum is in the detailed world and intricate storyline. The gameplay can remain unchanged so long as they make a solid plot.

Although... If there would be new PC races, I vote for goblins.
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #215
They said news and screenshots would be available in a few months months ago! :(
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #216
Bahahaha! And you believed them? Poor newbie :(

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #217
Forgot something- A massive, MASSIVE Area of Effect, blow -everything- up spell like Shockwave would also be welcomed in Avernum 4.

Shockwave, Quickfire, Major Summon... who needs Godhood to create a truly apocalyptic scene of ultimate destruction?

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #218
Necris, don't forget about those of us with stabler minds not concerned with the outright and total destruction of all in our path.

Pages