Avernum 4 Complete Wish List

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4 Complete Wish List
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #125
If the Finnish element of the population can learn English, we can learn Finnish. It's only fair.

—Alorael, who agrees that Esperanto is probably the fairest to everyone, although it gives the romance language speakers a slight advantage. Nobody speaks it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5993
Profile #126
I suppose one way you can avoid, or at least postpone the level cap is to give your characters plenty of advantageous character
traits. I find leveling up slowly more satisfying, it's more of an event. And I take pleasure in knowing that my characters have innate ability.

A punchline in the gut is right. It is possible to learn other languages besides your own.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #127
I vote for French. I didn't spend 13 years taking French classes for nothing I hope. Maybe I did. Probably.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #128
Nethergate should have been written entirely in Latin. Or better, entirely in Latin on the Roman side and entirely in a Celtic language on the Celtic side.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5993
Profile #129
Even better would be for all text to be written in symbolic code, decipherable only through long hours of study at a (secret) area at spiderwebsoftware.com.
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #130
---ENGLISH---
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #131
Mandarin Chinese.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #132
To get back on track here, Avernum 4 would only benefit from the option to select and play ind ifferent languages. I doubt this is very high on Jeff's priority list, though, if at all.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #133
Translation often leads to some loss of meaning and depth from the original text; of course, it has to be there in the first place for it to be lost...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #134
40. The ability to play the Empire side or whatever supposed enemy happens to be present.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #135
Talking about Nethergate and Latin, I loooove Latin! Greek I actually just find annoying with that other alfabet. I some games could be in Dutch though, that would be nice, I think. Of course much of you wouldn't understand what the people say, would you.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 5321
Profile #136
My one big hope is that it has an outdoors; that was the worst thing about geneforce, thier was no actual outdoors to it; the reason I got addicted to the exile when I was little (I guess mabey 10, or 12 years ago, when i was 6,7, or 8), and eventually thier avernum remakes was the feeling of exploration out in the country side, discovering, adventuring; geneforge ultimatelly spoils that, by making everything in thes elittle self contained segments of a map, which feel, and play through like a dungeon in the exile, or avernum games, and not a true walkabout in the country side.

for such a gameplay factor, i woudl eagerlly trade in a new game engine; besides, its unlikelly I'll be able to make myself a customized charicter art work in a new game engine, and while modding dosent seem to have ever been a big part of the game, and so its not much to consider, it is still perhaps somthing.

[ Wednesday, June 29, 2005 07:20: Message edited by: Xen ]
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #137
Hmm true actually in Avernum 1-3 you can mod all the images and change the graphics to fit your needs if you really feel like doing it. A program called Heromachine would help you make the replacement image. Probably isn't too legal to distribute the demo with ANY modifications, tho.

[ Wednesday, June 29, 2005 15:16: Message edited by: Verelor ]
Apprentice
Member # 6053
Profile #138
29.- I can think of few things more fun than the ability, limited or not, to buy or construct your own fort in this game or take a political position in a small town or earn ranks as a general. I'm sure I am getting rabid skeptics at this point, but what could this sort of frankly awesome interaction hurt if it is OPTIONAL?

i would move this on up on the top of the list if it was me. Cause that would be so freaking nice. If you could handle problems for you town and declare independence, or war. having to pay htte bills coudl be a problem. chase bandits of you farmers fields. make skribbane ilegal. Maybe being destroyed totally by a large city/country/province and come back 5 years later for revenge

i mean you would live 100% into the game if it was you own fort/city/town/village/camp/(and meny more)

it would also add some strategic to the game which i think it lags a little in, in the other avernum series

btw i agree in basicly everything thuryl has written

--------------------
hello, wanna be happy 3ever then try skribbane its an genius herb which has no what-so-ever side effects, unless you call double strength fully recharge spell power and much more for an side effect
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #139
Yes, it would be nice, but to work well it would have to be an entire subsystem within Avernum. Avernum is not a strategy/civ game, and making it one would add mountains of complexity and make it, well, not an Avernum-style RPG.

—Alorael, who doesn't see what optional has to do with it. Most people would probably like the chance, but optional or not it would require a huge new amount of thinking, designing, and programming. It also doesn't fit the septuagenarian eskimo demographic that Jeff targets.
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #140
This topic is dying fast, so how bout I say something as another good suggestion: when I said Avernum could be improved if it was more like Geneforge, I certainly didn't mean remove the overworld. It would be terrible if Spidwerweb Soft did that.
Infiltrator
Member # 737
Profile #141
Don't know if this has been suggested before...

Some kind of item filtration in the 'get items...' screnn would be really nice. Especially after defeating a large group of human opponents, where every single one of them has some kind of armor, weapon, shield, boots, etc it can be really troublesome to check all the items to see if theres something good in there. Maybe every item of the same type could be grouped inte one icon, so it would say something like "Poor Leather Armor (5)" intead of showing all five. This way it would be much easier to find the better equipment, and it would look so much cleaner.

--------------------
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #142
Maybe, just maybe. The tem systems are hardly the worst of the issues to be dealt with, though.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #143
The red outlines on magic items introduced in BoA help immensely.

—Alorael, who agrees that "foo X15, bar X9" would be much easier on the eyes and pattern recognition skills.
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #144
Before this post becomes indefinitely fossilized, let me say this: How long do you think it would take before Jeff takes Avernum series or one of his other games to full 3-D? I know that really isn't Jeff's cup of Tea, but games with 3-D graphics is well over a decade old and these days almost as easy to create as 2-dimensional ones. Seeing the world of Avernum in polygonal 3-D (even if it's jsut original Everquest quality) would be quite compelling.

Edit: Something like the Lithtech engien would be a superb choice, since nowadays that engine is practically free to design on.

[ Tuesday, July 05, 2005 06:27: Message edited by: Verelor ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #145
It seems unlikely ever to happen. Again, graphics have never been a priority for SW; gameplay goes above all else.

But honestly, who among us would actually know? Maybe he'll be possessed by the graphics demon right after he makes A4 and decide to spend huge amounts of money turning GF4 into Myst-quality graphics.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #146
That would be a waste of money since he knows his core fan base would buy it even if the graphics weren't all that great...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #147
Actually compelling storylines come first in his games, gameplay next (with little in the way of innovation, I might add).

Jeff still hasn't lost his dignity as a PC game developer (I hope). He's not simply going to do what sells best in his games. As I exactly stated before, using certain methods 3-D games can be jsut as cheap and easy to make now as 2-D ones. Everyone should get their heads out of the dern 1992 gutter.

[ Tuesday, July 05, 2005 13:15: Message edited by: Verelor ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #148
quote:
Originally written by Verelor:

Actually compelling storylines come first in his games, gameplay next (with little in the way of innovation, I might add).
Based on conversations he's had with Blades designers (dig around in BoA for an early four or five page topic), I'd have to say that plot comes second to gameplay. E3/A3? GF3? By the third installment in a series, he's clearly still working on gameplay and interface, but it's not as clear that he's working on plot.

quote:
Jeff still hasn't lost his dignity as a PC game developer (I hope). He's not simply going to do what sells best in his games.
There are those around here who would vehemently disagree with you. I will go only so far as to say that in interviews and his public comments, he talks a lot about money.

quote:
As I exactly stated before, using certain methods 3-D games can be jsut as cheap and easy to make now as 2-D ones. Everyone should get their heads out of the dern 1992 gutter.
We're not just paleophiles. We're basing our opinions on Jeff's game-design methods and his public statements. He buys all his graphics from independent sources (generally Andrew Hunter). If he institutes an entirely different engine, he has to buy an entirely new set of graphics — which he has done once before, I might add, going to Nethergate, and sort of again when he went to Geneforge, so it's not out of the question.

So yes, it would be more expensive to create a full 3D engine than to stick with the iso-3D that he's got, at least the way that Jeff would do it.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 6002
Profile #149
The way you're describing Jeff, you're making him sound like a somewhat flawed game developer.

Pages