Simulacrum!.. what monsters are on your list?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Simulacrum!.. what monsters are on your list?
Apprentice
Member # 4868
Profile Homepage #0
What monsters are on your list? (Avernum 3)

iv got Drake lord , Ur-Balisk , vampire and empire dervish . Im considering making a new game only because im trying to get Doom guard as a summon creature, im also attempting to get slime lord.......

[ Wednesday, August 18, 2004 09:22: Message edited by: Fefner ]

--------------------
Xian Pwns all!
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #1
First of all, you picked an absolutely great and traditional topic to make your first post on.

Second of all, you can't have Doomguards because they a) have a special class and b) split.

As for me, I love Aranea Lords and different Golems.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #2
I hardly ever use Capture Soul and Simulacrum, but on the one or two times I did, I had two Ur-Basilisks, A Dark Wyrm, and some kind of spellcaster.

--------------------
Ex-member-#2475.
Post count = 406 + whatever it says below.
Warrior
Member # 2637
Profile #3
Back in the Exile 3 days, I did h** e*** once to be able to summon a doom gaurd. Sadly I think I accidentally hit one and they just kept on popping up. Soon, I not only was surrounded by a legion of doom gaurds, but I couldn't tell which was hostile and which wasn't. So, I'd assume not allowing people to capture doom guards was for good reason.

What did happen after that unfortunate incident? My computer took forever to do anything and I ended up restarting my computer.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I keep Ur-Basilisks, Null Bugs, and Gazers, but I hardly ever summon either one. They're not necessary. Creatures that are just fighters or casters, not utility creatures, are even more useless. They just steal experience when they kill things.

—Alorael, who doesn't think that guessing which doomguards are hostile and which are copies of the contraband summoning is an important question. Part of the problem is that copies of the creature are set to the default setting, which means the duplicates are all hostile to your party. Only the original will be on your side, and its propensity towards creating an army of enemies hardly makes it a great help.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4654
Profile #5
I've got
-Drake Lord -found him in Southern Valorim(is that spelled right?)
-Agumented Giant -Erikas's Tower
-Orge Mage -From a bunch of them' and sliths near Erika's Tower
-Ur Basilisk -The Anama temple
-Glydden -Warrior Priest from Delis

I had the Alien Slime, not Slime Lord, but I got rid of it hwen I got the giant.

[ Thursday, August 19, 2004 04:17: Message edited by: vahnatai_hell_fyre ]

--------------------
life is too short to be taken seriously.hmm.but its also the longest thing a person can ever do!
Apprentice
Member # 4868
Profile Homepage #6
Absouletly sweet ^ ^ . I dont do any of quest ussualy. i just started and almost finished with the slime one because im tryin to get Alien slime (alien lord thing).Ussually i just go around killing towns and summoning foul rats to kill the kittens for me :D thnx for replying :) . Fefner 0 Loathed , HP:3088 :P

[ Thursday, August 19, 2004 05:25: Message edited by: Fefner ]

--------------------
Xian Pwns all!
Warrior
Member # 2637
Profile #7
quote:
-Alorael, who doesn't think that guessing which doomguards are hostile and which are copies of the contraband summoning is an important question. Part of the problem is that copies of the creature are set to the default setting, which means the duplicates are all hostile to your party. Only the original will be on your side, and its propensity towards creating an army of enemies hardly makes it a great help.
Gee... I never knew that. Could be why they kind of... um... turned against me all of a sudden. :rolleyes:
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
In the Trilogy, I pretty much never used these spells, although they are indispensable in Blades. I think I had a Dervish, a Wizard, and possibly a Gazer or Mung Demon at some point or another. I never found them to be worthwhile to Simulacrum back up, though; on the rare occasions when I felt the need to summon something, I could always use Arcane Summon instead.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #9
I use Ur-Basilisk and Mutant Giant. I rarely use them though.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Warrior
Member # 3804
Profile #10
I remember i used to have a wizard, vampire and ur-basilisk, i think. Didn't use it much but that just makes it more exciting when you do use it.

--------------------
"This......is a TREE! What's it for?" -Exile III
Shock Trooper
Member # 3862
Profile #11
I'd say I have a good batch of simulacrums in my Torment file. Power Crystal, Drake Lord, Dark Wyrm, and a Haakai. In torment these come in handy quite a bit for me.

--------------------
Legends tell that Avernum,
Is a gateway to the underworld,
from which the dead never return,
Well thats a lie because im here now aren't I.
--------------------------------
"Never get into a fight with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by ditech2:

Back in the Exile 3 days, I did h** e*** once to be able to summon a doom gaurd. Sadly I think I accidentally hit one and they just kept on popping up. Soon, I not only was surrounded by a legion of doom gaurds, but I couldn't tell which was hostile and which wasn't. So, I'd assume not allowing people to capture doom guards was for good reason.

What did happen after that unfortunate incident? My computer took forever to do anything and I ended up restarting my computer.

Doomguards are hostile by default so every Doomguard split from the one you summoned should have been hostile.
Apprentice
Member # 4889
Profile Homepage #13
I use an Order Mage and an Emperial Archer.

--------------------
Its just my opinion,i could be wrong.

Lothgar Gaming!
Warrior
Member # 4202
Profile Homepage #14
In Avernum, unlike Exile, splitting Doomguards remain on the side that the original was on.

--------------------
Creator of the 3D Blades of Avernum Editor for Mac. Get it at Ingenious Isaac's Illusion, my web page. Better yet, get Battle for Wesnoth, a wonderful free TBS game.
Apprentice
Member # 4847
Profile #15
An Ur-Basilisk was the only creature I ever thought of as necessary, only because they dispose of Doom-Guards rather neatly.

--------------------
You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #16
for real battle i only use dark wyrm.
the rest i use for fun only, like alien slime or something.
im wondering if you can capture dogs and the like..?

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Apprentice
Member # 3191
Profile #17
Well, back in Exile simulclarum was actually useful.

In Avernum, it just got worse and worse.

By the time you get to Avernum 3, I personally thought the spell was next to useless.

Theres no point summoning weak creatures with this spell, and strong creatures not only require large chunks of SP, they dont last long (I havnt played A3 in a long time, but IIRC I stopped using Simulclarum after I realised the creatures I summoned tended to dissappear after 3 rounds. Actually, that was probably A2.), and they have practically no real effect on a given battle (You can just slaughter everything yourself). Plus, unlike Exile, you cant capture the soul of particularly cool creatures (eg dragons), not to mention that the spell is a hostile one, which notches its usefullness down yet another level.

Having said that, I have just checked my save file and I had:
Gazer
Dark Wyrm
Hakaai
Efreet

IIRC I practically never used them, but it seems plenty of other people use them to great effect. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #18
I haven't gotten far yet but my soul is the cool kind of demon

--------------------
All praise the greatest mod of all time! Long live Master Aran!
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #19
In my A2 game I have the evil wizard Grazerl(I have no idea how to spell his name). It's cool becouse I use him to fight himself.

Other then that I never use the spell.

Yes Sasuke, the spell seemed not to be needed in A3.
Apprentice
Member # 3727
Profile #20
yeah I agree not the most useful spell, but I reckon its best use is pitting monsters of your choice against each other.
How else could you answer the age old question who would win in a fight between a cat and a dog, or how long a child would last against a drake lord.

By the way I think my list was
guard
darkwurm
crystal soul
kitten

--------------------
Not all who wander are lost

Im here today, gone tomorrow. But you want to know who i am? Well im....damn, not any more. Now im someone else. I cant keep track. Why should you?
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #21
I rarely use them but my list is

Ur-Basilisk
Basilisk
Guard
Wizard

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #22
I didn't have Capture Soul in my copy of Avernum, only Simulacrum. It summoned whatever I targeted. Is that just me, or what?

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Apprentice
Member # 4062
Profile #23
The only time I remember using the capture soul and simulacrum spell was right after I got them in A3, on that spiny worm you can find in the same Vahatni settlement.

It was fun to just summon it against weak creatures if i got bored, but i never bothered to capture any strong or usefull monsters
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #24
Hang on - WAIT! Maybe I'm getting BoA and A3 mixed up. Yeah, I did have it in A3, but not in BoA!

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)

Pages