Simulacrum!.. what monsters are on your list?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Simulacrum!.. what monsters are on your list?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #50
Sorry. Didn't notice that part of the post.

If it's possible to choose which slot the monster goes into, I never figured out how. I had monsters overwriting other monsters while there were still empty spaces left to fill. But then, I never really used Simulacrum that much (or any kind of summoning, for that matter).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2775
Profile Homepage #51
As far as I know from personal experience, and from what I have read on these boards, when capturing a soul for simulacrum the player can't choose the slot and it's just a crapshoot which one gets overwritten or not.

It's a fun and interesting spell, but realistically by the time you can capture something really powerful and survive the encounter, you don't need the spell anyway.

The priest spell Divine Host summons multiple vengeful shades - you get 3, 4 or 5 of them at once depending on the level spell you learned, and the shades are pretty strong. I think the best use of summoning spells is against Rakshasi or Demons so you don't get overwhelmed by swarms of enemy summoned creatures when you're playing a singleton character.

[ Thursday, November 18, 2004 14:33: Message edited by: My Quasimodo ]

--------------------
"I can't give you brains," said the Wizard of Oz to the Scarecrow, "but I can give you a diploma." - L. Frank Baum
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #52
my rakshasa works pretty well, so does the dark wyrm, drake lord, & my personal favouritesthat I always use at hard quests: dryads (you can get them while fighting for them near Tevrno & "accidentally" hitting 1 of them. ;)

--------------------
he who puts his head inside a dragon's orifice is likely to get a lot of...
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #53
quote:
Originally written by [b:
Kelandon[/b]]
If it's possible to choose which slot the monster goes into, I never figured out how. I had monsters overwriting other monsters while there were still empty spaces left to fill. But then, I never really used Simulacrum that much.
Yeah, thats the downfall toward that. When you cast the spell, it chooses the slot randomly, and often overrites a slot, which is highly annoying. If you want it in a specific slot, just keep opening the game until you get it in the slot of choice.

As for my slot choices, it pretty much varies. I usually get a guard to do hard work, and a drake lord for fun. Then i sometimes put in a mutant lizard. The other slot pretty much varies. I dont have a particular monster i need in there.

[ Sunday, November 21, 2004 08:36: Message edited by: -08 ]

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Warrior
Member # 5161
Profile #54
Wolf
Nothing
Drake
Orge

I know,I know mine are horrible.But I just learned how to use the Soul Crsytal and I only have the demo version.

--------------------
blah blah blah
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #55
Well, I got the demo versions too. Since you gain at least 1 exp for every monster killed, you level up limitless. You can find level 3 in the back of the vahnatai fortress in avernum 3 for this. That way you can capture anything.

Also, heres a hint to have some extra skill points: sell items you might need alot of to levy, who sells an infinite amount. Get a research tome and sell it to him, then buy as many as you can and go to the portal fortress and sell it to a guy in the library. :P

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4938
Profile #56
I've now got a rakshasa and a drake lord, but as my mage always seems to be at the back in a fight and as they always materialise behind him (more or less), they aren't always a battle-winner. :D

--------------------
"Keep both hands where I can see them"
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #57
Lol. Maybe if you tried going away from the enemy and then casting it, it might work. However, that is one disadvantage in avernum: you can't choose where to summon the creature. This also applies to shooting things and casting spells: you can only hit a monster, which really sux. :(

I don't know what rakshasas are or look like cause I only got the demo version. But, unless you're fighting a bunch of guys and a mage (like the orb of thrlani quest) then I would recommend trying to get a nice mix of fighters and mages/priests, even though the drake lord is instoppable!He usually casts spells, which aren't as effective.

[ Wednesday, November 24, 2004 07:46: Message edited by: -08 ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5203
Profile Homepage #58
ah, so it's random huh? ah well... faced the Wyrm a few times and tried casting the spell a few times, then finally let ir overwrite the Ice Drake. no doubt that the wyrm kicks more ass than the drake. tho i wish i could overwrite the wraith, but i am not going to fight it too much, and but now i am approaching the end of the game, so it doesn't matter much.

still think it is a fun spell ;)

--------------------
Homepage | Heathen Sent | Nightscrawlers
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #59
however, there are some troubles while usage of this spell...i.e. you can't use capture soul to get zkal, or the high triad master (from the monastery of madness). However, my gorgon seems to work pretty well in crisis. :cool:

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4900
Profile #60
quote:
Originally written by vahnatai_hell_fyre:

I've got
-Drake Lord -found him in Southern Valorim(is that spelled right?)
-Agumented Giant -Erikas's Tower
-Orge Mage -From a bunch of them' and sliths near Erika's Tower
-Ur Basilisk -The Anama temple
-Glydden -Warrior Priest from Delis

I had the Alien Slime, not Slime Lord, but I got rid of it hwen I got the giant.

When I tried to capture the Augmented Giant, it copied as a regular giant...also happend with the experimental rat (showed up as cave rat) Did the names change or did everything change?
Warrior
Member # 5165
Profile #61
Hey!!! I just captured a witch, just for fun. It works great!!! :eek:

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5254
Profile #62
- Dark wyrm
- Ur-Basilisk
- Haakai
and dog :rolleyes:

--------------------
oh
Apprentice
Member # 5210
Profile #63
Can some one tell me how to assign them to certain slots? My new one always seems to go to slot 4?

You get 4 slots but I always seem to "add" one to slot 4 and not replace one in slot 1,2, or 3?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #64
Er, if you had read the topic, you would've noticed that we have said that it is not possible to select the slot into which the monsters go.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Apprentice
Member # 3102
Profile #65
Is it possible to eject beasts from your simalucrum spots or are they there forever once in?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #66
I'm not going to answer that, and I suggest that no one else answer it either. I want Faede to have to read the topic to find out.

Since you are new, I'll explain: it's considered bad manners around here to revive a topic that has been idle for a while (say, more than a week or so) unless you have something significant to contribute. It's also considered bad manners around here to ask a question that has already been answered on the same page of the topic as your question or within the first few posts — the bare minimum that you might be expected to read.

You did both of those at the same time. No harm done, but I hope that you learn from this.

EDIT: Note that you may have to read between the lines somewhat in order to find your answer.

[ Sunday, January 23, 2005 18:01: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 3102
Profile #67
I read all three pages, heh. Forget it :)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #68
(The answer, by the way, is that you don't need to, because new monsters will randomly replace old monsters even if your soul crystal is full.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages