Message From Spiderweb - Brain Blocked

Error message

• Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type int in element_children() (line 6595 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
  • Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Message From Spiderweb - Brain Blocked
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally posted by Spidweb:

This reminds me, I need to really think about the concept of monster hate lists and aggro management. If your mage is really bugging a monster, it should rush the mage.

This was done in Geneforge, IIRC. It worked in most cases, but it saved my 2 HP Shaper many, many times. Just before my Shaper is about to die, a fyora breathes on the monster, and it chases the fyora instead of the Shaper.

Also, if you remove Barter, you should allow the scenario designer to choose the cost % for NPCs buying items. Someone in a Pawn Shop might give back 60%, while someone that sells weapons too may only give 30% back.

When I say giving back, I mean that if the party sells a 1000 gold item, the first NPC will pay 600 for it, and the second will pay 300.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1829
Profile #26
Spell ideas, pick 2 to replace Simulacrum/Capture Soul.

Feather Fall: Reduces damage taken from stepping off of cliffs. Level 1: The party takes 2/3 of the usual damage. Level 2: The party takes 1/3 of the usual damage. Level 3: The party takes no damage from falls. It might need to be balanced a bit though, some scenario designers might want to prevent players from being able to jump off all cliffs.Magic Shield: This spell makes a shield which protects against magic. At level 1 it'll simply give magic resistance, at level 2 it'd also convert a very minor part of the damage done to Spell Points, at level 3 it affects the whole party.Gate: This spell would summon up to three random monsters, and when I say random I do mean random, it could summon every single monster in the game, but it's unpredictable. Level of the spell is equal to amount of monsters summoned.

[ Thursday, November 07, 2002 05:00: Message edited by: Squeaky ]
Infiltrator
Member # 164
Profile Homepage #27
I. Perhaps Assassination should become a skill you receive after you have enough strength+pole+melee+dexterity?

How about Determination, which might let a character resist all effects with greater efficiency. You could have this skill kick in when the battle gets hot. (when characters have taken enough damage, dealt enough damage, or there are enough monsters fighting against you.) This skill would represent the ability to fight better in combat without having to make this a special ability.

II. I think a good spell would be a fireball which damages a 3x3 area. This would bring in a new feel to the game and make that spell very unique and potentially very powerful.

--------------------
Awesome BoA Graphics

MSN: bleusoulilcercatore@hotmail.com
AIM: Byzantine Jones
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #28
Here are a few skills:

Running-- increases movement points.
Meditation-- increases resistance to mental effects, increases spellpoint regeneration.
Hunting-- increases missile weapon chance to hit, chance of gathering food each day.
Gathering-- increased chance to find alchemical ingredients, chance of finding food each day.
Leadership-- increases party reputation

A few spells:
We should have the cleansing spell brought back to get rid of webs and acid.

Some of the wall spells should be reinstated.

A life draining spell should be added for single targets/ mage.

There should also be a clerical water walking spell.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #29
I'd really like to see an unarmed combat skill put in. That would be really cool. As it stands, unarmed attacks do next to no damage, though they are quick. Does this really do justice to masters of [insert name of martial art here], who can kill people easily and efficiently with there bare hands? Admittedly, this would involove alot of anatomy (as well as high strength and dex) in the real world, but nonetheless. Also, I think you should really make the advanced skills cheaper to train in (both monetarily and in terms of skill points), to make up for the fact that NPCs no longer sell them.
Also, is it possible for NPCs to sell skills at all? I know it was in Blades, and people like solberg in A1 or the nephil guy in A2 would sell you standard skills. Will it be in BoA?

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #30
I think a spell almost identical to wall of blades just with a different type of field, either fire ice or (were there shock fields in the Avernum games?). Anyway, whats so bad about capture soul and similacrum. They exist in BoE, so why not BoA - it would just mean that monsters cant be carried forward.
I'll add a vote type thing to marksmanship for archers, and possibly martial arts as well

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Shock Trooper
Member # 1829
Profile #31
quote:
Originally posted by modnaR:
I'd really like to see an unarmed combat skill put in.
Jeff should then definitely add "Feisty Slap of Pain" as a unique ability when you have enough unarmed skill. ;P
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #32
quote:
Originally posted by Futank the Trainer:
I feel that it would be great if a sort of "minimum [basic stat]" requirement was put in for the weapons and armour. It does not make sense to see some low-strength mage chop people to pieces with a big greatsword that he/she can barely even lift.
VWM has a point. PCs should need to have at least, say, 11 strength for Halberds, 8 Strength to use things like Greatswords, and 5 strength for Longswords. I think, however, that there should not be a minimum Dexterity level. Just because you're a clumsy oaf doesn't mean you can't use a weapon, it just means you'll miss all the time.

--------------------
PhoenixNinjas!
Ninja-Moderation!
What we need is Urban Wisdom!
Vote Wise Man!
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #33
i)What about a priest based skill? mages already have magery skill. This one could be Religous fanatic or something and the higher your skill level the stronger the effect of the spell.

There could be a skill called master alchemist, NATURELORE+POTIONMAKING= you would get a bonuses for potion making and it would be easier for you to make potions.

And there could be a skill only for rogues.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #34
Magery affects priests in the same way it affects mages. Also, unarmed combat can be improved with strength. Without cheating, I've done 250 damage in unarmed combat.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #35
A "Sharpshooter" skill that adds to Archery and Thrown damage would be nice. Also, a skill that is similar to Assassination, but only with Archery, would make archers more useful.

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #36
I'm thinking a life leech spell that does nothing but steals live from the target and gives it to the caster.
No need to make spells too-powerful.
I want long, hard games.

--------------------
DONOR Fat Freddys Drop
Shirow Miwa
Shock Trooper
Member # 1654
Profile #37
How about a stealth skill, a skill that gives you a chance of slipping past enemys. The more monsters there are and the stronger the monster is the harder it is to get past it without it attacking you. It would probably be hard to program but I think it would make some new possibilitys come up in the games, making everything much easier.

[ Thursday, November 07, 2002 20:19: Message edited by: IceLizard ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #38
Stealth sounds like a cool idea, if it could be programmed in. I remember using the 'stealth' spell alot in exile 2. It would be a nice addition, and would help to encourage scenarios where you actually snuck around, as opposed to just killing everything in sight (or, in some extreme cases, killing everything in sight in an ambush or running away). Speaking of the stealth spell, a good new mage spell might be something in that vein.

[ Friday, November 08, 2002 07:15: Message edited by: modnaR ]

--------------------
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #39
On spells:

AM field sounds good (I know, a lot of people have said that. May as well add my vote.)
Curse spell - Good idea, but seems to me to fit better in priest than mage.
Field of Force/Fire/Ice/Whatever idea - Very good idea.

On skills:
1. Dread Curse definitely needs to stay. (Someone seems to think its not staying.)
2. Something to boost mental resistance - Mental Discipline?

[ Friday, November 08, 2002 17:47: Message edited by: Namothil ]
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #40
1. if it's not too hard, mounted combat skills would be nice.
2. Soul Force. this is magic that does not draw energy from divine or arcane sources, but from the user's soul. Soul Force boosts mental resistance, as well as willpower.

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Warrior
Member # 1210
Profile Homepage #41
i like all the skills form the Exile series and BOE.....it had so many.....makes it lots more fun :D

--------------------
"Don't let your mind wander- It might not come back..."
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #42
Does anyone remember the pacifist disadvantage of e2? I remember when I first played the game and I didn't know what pacifist meant I soon learnt what it meant ;)

What about meditation skill it could strengthen the body for some time and help resist mental attacks.

[ Sunday, November 10, 2002 20:04: Message edited by: Milla ]

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Infiltrator
Member # 1418
Profile Homepage #43
"Double Shot" would actually work well as an ability of the Bow of Kag. Then the thing might have some use. :)

--------------------
Geneforge 2 Editor
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #45
I would like to see a mage skill where one could sacrifice an amount of HP in return for an amount of SP. I suppose the largest problem in this would be to determine how much HP should be removed from the user of the skill. If it took away a certain amount then the skill could also be abused by players who have 1 life and use the skill to generate a larger amount of spell points.

As the player gained levels in the skill more and more points could be generated from the HP.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #46
Double shot's a good idea, but what about "Power Shot". A skill that allows your arrows to tear throught the first enenmy hitting enemies behind him.

Note that enemies must be in straight line.

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #47
I want the spell "see invisible" that then allows your mages to target shades.
Apprentice
Member # 2209
Profile #48
about the extra spell,

anvil-drop- make it so Xfinally finished his research on his spell (with the help of some adventurers) and just have it a spell that does a big chunk of melee damage, and maybe even places an anvil on the terrain graphics?(instead of the rubble pile or blood spots you get from killing things?)

not sure how feasable it is, but it would be kinda cool.
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #49
How about a spell that automatically targets all hostiles within a certain range and does divides a random amount of damage between them all.

Or a telelport spell, you could set a telepoint only where you stand and use teleport again to return there.

A spell that turns of clipping temporarily.
Or a curse that attracts wandering monsters.
A spell that creates a temporary magic barrier.
Or puts a lock on a door, rather than unlock it.

( A little off topic )

How about a block you can push around but walk on too. Use to to walk across a gap between ledges.
Or a spell that creates a bridge you can walk under and across.
A spell that disguises you as an enemy, friendlies attack you, enemies don't.

How about a battle simulator, play as/against any number of pre-existing or costom enemies with a variety of weapons at your disposal.
And maybe make the battle simulator multi-player. That would be fun.

Well, just some ideas.

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #50
Not to stifle anyone's creativity, but most of these ideas sound like special items or strings, rather than spells or skills. Take for example the idea of a spell that creates a bridge: it sounds more like the solution to a puzzle than a routinely used spell. Spells have to have a fairly universal application (the useless ones aside), and a bridge creation spell would either be overpowered (in a scenario that didn't compensate for its existence) or else largely useless except in a few puzzles. In general, special movement related spells will act as I described before, though some more than others. Stealth would be one of the less game-breaking ones, while flight related stuff tends to be the one that gives the most headaches.
I used the bridge creation spell as an example, this doesn't just apply to that. Anyway, simulacrum and capture soul were combat-only spells, so let's look for replacements that fulfill similar roles. Apologies for my long-windedness.

--------------------

Pages