Message From Spiderweb - Brain Blocked

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Message From Spiderweb - Brain Blocked
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #101
You can do that with coding (see Revenge), and the monsters really can't do that on their own without making it even more trouble.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 1982
Profile #102
Right now, I roam the land with my level 55+ party in A3 and I am quite disappointed that there is no way to *really* improve their combat statistics. Their hit % sits at 95 an the monsters have a 5%-chance to hit them.
I would like it very much if the new abilities in BoA would give the characters something else besindes increasing the chance to hit or decrease the chance to be hit. Maybe a dual strike (like in geneforge), the ability to fire two arrows at two different targets (hey, Robin Hood could to that in the movie :D ), being able to turn your back on the monsters without being attacked for free, increase the damage cap (if there is one),...

Someone mentioned different AP costs for different weapons - maybe the designer of the weapon could decide that? For example a small dagger with AP cost 2 to attack but damage 1-3+1-3 and damage cap 50 or a troll hammer with AP cost 7, damage 1-10+1-10 and damage cap 250. That would offer new choices to the player!(I just made up these numbers very quickly so maybe the decision which one of these two weapons to take is actually a no-brainer)

The Mad Scientist
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #103
That idea would be cool, if Jeff let us set both the AP cost and the damage cap. Something tells me he won't. He's not uncooperative per se, but he doesn't seem to like anything the detracts from the universality of the engine.

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #104
All of these problems would be solved if Jeff made Blades of Avernum a scripting workshop With a costom creation wizard ( For thise who can't script ) and a file compression utility.

This solution would allow the user to change anything he/she wanted about the game within their scripting ability.

Everything would be modular. If you wanted to change the combat system, you could insert a different combat.c or combat.boa or whatever into the game.

This solution would make many many Spidster / Scripters grin.

--------------------
Leave me alone.
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #105
it seems like a lot of people want to turn the "Blades of Avernum" project into a "Blades of Anyworld" project. while I understand the urge to have someone do all the hard parts of writing a game for you, I am happy that Mr. Vogel is writing anything that will let me contribute to his world and fully expect that to make a whole new world of my own, I will have to do lots lots more work than just wait for him to finish his engine. And while I don't think every scenario has to be set in the Avernum world, I certainly won't be asking Mr. Vogel to make specicial features designed specifically to avoid the Avernum world, either.

[ Monday, November 18, 2002 08:01: Message edited by: silver harloe ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #106
I would generally agree with that point. Motekye's idea sounds more like a generic game design utility than something for blades of avernum. If you want that much leeway, you can program the game yourself, or alter the Blades engine(which I understand some people are doing already). I think what we're asking Jeff is alot already.

--------------------
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
Shock Trooper
Member # 764
Profile Homepage #107
White & Dark magic all the way

--------------------
"I come back to you now, of the turn of the tide"--Gandalf Greyhame in the two towers.
----------------------------
"i am Aragorn son of Arathorn son of Isildur, son of elendile. Ellasar, elfstone Heir to Gondor".-- Aragorn in the Lord of the rings
------------------------------------
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. What you must decide is what to do with the time that is given"-- Gandalf greyhame The fellowship.
-------------------------------------
"Fools speak becuase they have to say something, and the wise speak becuase they have something to say"-Me!
------------------------------------------
"Ash nag gimbatu, ash nac francartulouk, ash nac aratook"- The ringwaraiths
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #108
Define 'White and Dark Magic'.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #109
Blades of Avernum will be, if I understand correctly, completely user-friendly and the designer will never have to touch code.

For monsters, there will be ways the designer can make them difficult, like Confusion etc. Also, you can use special spells to slow and dumbfound the party, etc.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 787
Profile #110
I was going to post this yesterday, but I couldn't get to the login page for some reason.

I hope no one else has already mentioned this (I had a problem with that on another site recently). I think it would be cool if you could code in a Mirror Magery spell. This would be a single target only spell that reflected any Mage spell cast at the person back at its caster. In the case of multiple target spells and multiple Mirrored targets, one would we reflected back at the caster and the others at random enemies that haven't been targeted by a reflection yet (so you couldn't be doing double to anyone). The spell level progression would be simple. At level 1, it would reflect level 1 spells, at level 2 reflect level 2 spells and at level 3 reflect level 3 spells. I hope that this would fit in the area of a mid level Mage spell (that is why I suggest it reflect only other mage spells).

Let me know what you think!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #111
That spell sounds like it would either be too powerful for a mid-level spell or it would cost so many spell points that it would become another useless spell like Forcecage.

In low-level situations, the mirror spell could reflect the ever-present slow and iceblast spells. In encounters with more powerful enemies, the AI's lack of intelligence could easily result in it's fireblasting itself to death.

—Alorael, who also imagines that this mirror spell would be difficult to program. Even assuming everything else goes well, arrows would probably be reflected too.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #112
Yeah. While mirror magery would be a cool spell, it would probably be overpowered and hard to program. Furthermore, I've never actually seen a monster use a spell at level 3 (Though this may be because I've registered and finished A1 and 2 but not 3), so third level would seem to be redundant.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1980
Profile Homepage #113
I think there should be a Sharpen sword ability so every time you use your sword, the damage is less until you sharpen you sword.

Matt!!!
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #114
yes, but what if you use a blunt weapon like a club?

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #115
Blunt weapons could break. It's on the same line as durability in Diablo. It's nice and realistic, but mostly its just a pain and a waste of gold.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #116
It seems that many people are thinking up abilities rather than skills. Although lots of these skills sound quite cool, Jeff was originally asking about skills like blademaster and anatomy etc. (correct me if Im wrong here)

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #117
Jigga's right. A lot of your proposed changes are impossible within the Avernum engine. Jeff is just looking for midlevel spells and skills based on a certain level in other skills.

--------------------
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #118
We've certainly got a large array of possible spells and skills, among other things. Since I don't think Jeff is slogging through all this any more, should we go through the list and pick out all the ones that are feasible, then present the ideas to Jeff more concisely?

—Alorael, who would also see another poll, like the original one for BoA ideas, as a possibility. That way, there is less of a chance of getting another batch of useless things like Forcecage.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #119
Then I will vote:

Mage spells: Antimagic cloud (or maybe wall of ice etc.) and Drain (if it would be easy enough to put in)

Skills: Marksman (archery)

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Warrior
Member # 1427
Profile #120
Ahem, I think you're leaving out a very useful spell, which is also my FAVORITE spell.

Scry Monster.

Think about it- Its nice knowing how much HP an enemy monster has. But, it would also be nice if the creator could make certain stats invisible. Perhaps a giant evil purple demon who looks like he should have 10000 HP, in reality only has 15, but you dont want the party to know that do you? So, hide the HP! :-)
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #121
My suggestions for spells are, in order of preference:
1.Dispel, removes beneficial magic effects, causes damage
2.Antimagic cloud, makes single/multiple antimagic fields, number of clouds increases with level
3.Vampiric Drain, deals damage and heals the caster, only affects living
The only really good skill I saw was Marksman

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1892
Profile #122
quote:
Originally posted by modnaR:
Define 'White and Dark Magic'.
Basicly you have your normal magic and priest spells. THen you have you Evil Mage and probly Paladin priest spells. The Evil is diffrent from good, and you could have a deamon cult that teaches spells like that. THe systym would be diffrent, and the priest spells could acutly have something to do with fire.
I think Jeff should at least consider a Dark Arts group of spells.

--------------------
One more time,
For old times sake,
The Hammer will come
To Make Spammers Shake.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #123
Maybe, but I doubt it would apper in a game.
Maybe monsters would get exclusive spells, but Dark Magic?

--------------------
DONOR Fat Freddys Drop
Shirow Miwa
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #124
Another set of spells would require not only a large alteration of the engine but also the creation of twenty new spells for the new 'class' of spellcaster and a skill to go along with it. The likelihood of Jeff doing this is nil.

—Alorael, who also doesn't think there should be any differentiation between good and evil magic. After all, magic is an amoral force; the wizard is the one who applies ethics to its use.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #125
No coding? AHHHHHHHHHHHH

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.

Pages