Poll for Atheists and Agnostics...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Poll for Atheists and Agnostics...
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #0
If you're an Atheist or Agnostic, were you baptized or raised in a christian home?

(If you're not Atheist or Agnostic, then this poll is not for you, but you are heartilly encouraged to visit the Landover Baptist Church website.)

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 52 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=gAZpctfuBCyq"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=gAZpctfuBCyq"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #1
My parents were raised in Communist China, so I have no religious background whatsoever. I think the best thing for everyone would be to let free in a place where there is no religious environment whatsoever, and you are left to find your own beliefs. Even now, I find that I find myself having a lot of Christian beliefs.

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"-The Divine Comedy
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #2
I was, but it was really Catholic school that turned me into an Atheist.

*waits to see how Sir David will respond to this*

EDIT: And the Landover Baptist Church website kicks butt, by the way. As does bettybowers.com, which is related, and whitehouse.org.

[ Thursday, May 22, 2003 11:40: Message edited by: Little Miss Agoraphobia ]

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #3
I'm tending more and more towards agnostic nowadays, although I refuse to term myself that because it literally means 'unknowing' and people who call themselves agnostics are usually just atheists without the pseudo-religious zeal.

I'm not entirely sure what I believe. It's a mixture of science, Church of England, Quaker and non-conformist beliefs with a large amount of confusion. At the moment, I'm settling for trying to live my life according to the teachings of Jesus. However, I've gone completely off organised hierarchial religion due to bad experiences with the way this works in the church down the road and general feelings that the idea as it stands today does not stand up to biblical scrutiny.
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #4
I consider myself agnostic not by the sense that you give, but that I don't know if there is a God. I'm a healthy/unhealthy mix of Christianity, Buddhism, science, atheism, etc. Though I may not have firm beliefs, I am fully planted in my belief that organized religion for the most part blows.

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #5
Uh, define Christian home. We didn't have crosses hanging on the walls or anything, but the rents definitely were down with the whole Protestant everything. And I wasn't allowed to swear. Much.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 216
Profile Homepage #6
I was a devout Christian who once attended a private Catholic school and was raised catholic, but they didn't make me agnostic, my own thinking about it did :P

--------------------
Song of the Pack -- An Online Multiplayer Wolf RPG!~
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #7
I have an atheist mother, christian father, and I went to church/sunday school until I was expelled. Stopping believing in all the stuff they claimed came shortly before that, I think, and stopping liking it came a year or so later.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #8
What brought about your expulsion?

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #9
My parents are methodists, and I have fought off all possible invasions of religious thought. I was kicked out of church when I was nine, and, while I was severly punished I have never been dragged back. Christmas is about presents and the big guy in the red suit. Easter is about rabbits and candy. Halloween is for costumes and pranks. Good Friday is any Friday I don't work. Passover is something I do when I see something at the buffet that I don't like. Valentines day is about candy, cards, and sex/lust/romance/loneliness.

I work retail, so I know what the holidays are about, selling worthless plastic crap and sugar-laden candy.

Religion, at least organized religion, is nothing more than a fairey tail for the masses. It gives you something to believe in, be part of, and be proud of, and it provides a nice place to go when you die. Besides that, all it does is restrict thought, provide control over members of the religion, and suck up money. Only a few people actually follow their beliefs and do mission work, and even then, it has always struck me as being more of a way spread the "word of Jesus." I applaud those who have the strength of character to make a commitment to help reduce the suffering of others, but I find that some of them carry their dogmatic views with them and discourage certain activites (Mother Theresa and her refusal to supply or allow teaching of birth control, in a country where population was already a problem).

About the only people that I can think of that people should feel proud of, concerning religious beliefs, are Jesus, Martin Luther King Jr., and Muhatma Ghandi (and maybe Muhammed, I don't know enough about the Islamic religion to make a judgement call on this one). Not only did they preach peace, they lived it.

[ Thursday, May 22, 2003 15:17: Message edited by: Ragnarok Hellcaller ]

--------------------
"The hippogryph is an amazing creature rarely seen outside of the wild. The tricky thing about hippogryphs is their incredible jaw strength. One terrible clamp of their beaks could rip a huge beast apart in seconds. Let's see what happens when I stick my hand inside..."
*roaring, SNAP!
*rider screams
—Hippogryph rider, WC III

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

This is it, The Document That no Evil Overlord can do Without
Posts: 505 | Registered: Saturday, September 14 2002 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2445
Profile #10
I define myself pretty much the way DB does, and was raised in an indifferent household. And we weren't allowed to swear. :P

[ Thursday, May 22, 2003 15:27: Message edited by: Roh Zee Kat ]

--------------------
Aces off.
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #11
quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok Hellcaller:
I find that some of them carry their dogmatic views with them and discourage certain activites (Mother Theresa and her refusal to supply or allow teaching of birth control, in a country where population was already a problem.)
like omg wtf how dare yuo insult a soon-to-be saint your so going 2 hell die die die im gunna vote you're karma down!!!!11 :P

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #12
Actually, Mother Teresa was nominated for Sainthood the year of her death, but was not accepted because she could not be canonized.

[ Thursday, May 22, 2003 15:33: Message edited by: Dragyn Bob ]

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #13
Thanks for pidgeonholing all Christians on the forum, Evesque.

[ Thursday, May 22, 2003 16:08: Message edited by: el presidente ]

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #14
Before this topic gets the gun of topic death, I would like to mention that I was baptized, apparently at the request (read: insistence) of my Catholic grandmother. I am a firm atheist, and have grown up in an atheist household (which rather upsets my grandmother).

--------------------

~ §øСüm
©ÿªñ¡Ðë ~
Mission Ridge -- All Your Snow Are Belong to Us.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1506
Profile #15
I wasn't baptized, but sometimes I think my mother is the fundie of the Church of Christians Who Only Believe at Christmas and Easter.

I think it was ultimately my laziness that caused me to think over my religious convictions. Church is no fun to go to; it's too early! ...But shouldn't I be pious? ...Too lazy! ...Well, then why am I so unconcerned about my salvation?

Ultimately this line of thought brought me to agnosticism. I don't know if there is a god or a goddess or even a God or Goddess, and I don't want to take what would be, for me, a completely arbitrary side.

--------------------
desperance.net -- Come on in, we don't bite. Well, I don't.
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #16
My family is pretty areligious, and I think Dad's atheism has a lot to do with mine. It's not that I believe something just becuase he does, but it's easier to be open-minded when a certain set of beliefs isn't being forced on you from birth.

--------------------
We were once Mao
Shock Trooper
Member # 48
Profile #17
Just curious...

Since I am a Christian myself (despite the fact that I have relatively "less faith" compared to my parents), I would like to say:

Why do you think religion in general (or Christianity in particular) is so bad? Besides, don't you want to go to heaven (assuming that you believe in heaven and hell :) )?

Personally, I respect your choice of not being a believer. You have the right to not belive in God. Besides, beliving in a religion doesn't necessarily mean that your mind has to be "fixed"-- for example, even some Christians partially believe in evolution (i.e. "God created the creatures on earth first, then they 'evolved'").

[ Thursday, May 22, 2003 20:06: Message edited by: y0d1n2a3 ]

--------------------
"Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing.-Luke 23:34
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #18
I don't believe in heaven, or hell, so it's not something that worries me.

Personally, I see them as the carrot and the stick that are included to frighten people into following the religion.

Any god that sends people to hell for eternity is not worth worshipping, in my view. (Yes, I've heard all the semantic wriggling about how we send ourselves to hell, whatever. I don't buy it.)

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #19
Please: do not post why you thing any religion or faith in particular, or faith or religion in general, or any person, live, dead or on the boards, is bad!
There are members here of all sorts of faiths, and assuming you can insult any faith or person without hurting somebody badly is very mistaken.
This topic can only live if people can explain the positive of their own views without being negative about anybody else.
*glares in fierce dragonly manner*

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally posted by Saunders:
live, dead or on the boards
Do you mean that people who post here exist in some undead state which is neither alive nor dead?

I've always suspected it, but it's nice to see it confirmed.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:

My Website
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #21
Well, Thuryl obviously.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #22
My Mum is a Catholic and my Dad is a Methodist. I was christened in a Methodist church by a Catholic priest, and every Sunday I went to one or other of the churches. I don't believe in organised religion (but respect what other people believe), and am unsure if there is a God or not. I don't believe in God in the bilical sense but I think there must be something out there.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #23
We're damned by our unbelief, Khoth, obviously. Like you're worried. ;)

One very interesting one to note is fundi rage against New Age stuff. I'm inclined to agree a lot of New Age stuff looks pretty cobbled together, but never figured out the fundi's quasi-witch hunting rage again it until I realisd most of their kids go on to be New Agers.

BTW, I thnk there's been a thread on Agnes Bordescu already. Don't even go there - they go sort of crazy. :rolleyes:
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #24
Quasi-witch hunting? But the new-agers are witches ;) .

I think new-agers get confused with satanists, who are automatically thought of as evil.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:

My Website

Pages