Poll for Atheists and Agnostics...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Poll for Atheists and Agnostics...
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #125
BTW, the first Quakers were quite rabid, often indistinguishable from Ranters who denounced the Anglican hierarchy as "Antichrist" in frankly demented ways. During the (English) Civil War, Quaker founder Charles Fox called down "woe [on] the bloody city of Lichfield" (actually a picturesque Midlands cathedral town) dressed only in a loincloth. One early Quaker had his tongue bored through with hot iron for entering Bristol on a donkey, in imitation of Christ's entry into Jerusalem. Modern-day Quakers occassionally need reminding of this, with interesting consequences for neighbouring clergy....
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #126
Yeah, and Anglicans and Puritans took to burning marriable women who didn't take husbands.

I can understand bad PR against us in Britain, given as how historically the Quakers don't tend to respect authority, but they were pretty forward-thinking. They did what you say they did against a church that sprung from a particularly unpleasant king, deciding that the Pope was being unreasonable by not breaking the rules of the Church to fit him, declaring himself the new Pope.
Yeah, maybe they had pretty deranged methods, but they didn't hurt anyone but themselves using them, and they fought for something modern humanity would agree with [reducing of the power and prestige of the aristocracy]. Most Anglicans and Puritans did what they did, using actions from fiery speech to violence, to preserve the status quo.

So our spiritual predecessors ranted like madmen against an unjust system. Is that worse than the witch-hunts Puritanism is responsible for, the oft-violent attacks on "enemies of the faith" Anglicans were responsbile for, the Inquisition and the Crusades that Catholicism was responsible for, or the blatant anti-Semitism that most Protestant denominations encouraged?

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #127
In Colchester Castle, there's a place just inside the gate which is where a Quaker starved to death because he refused to be conscripted into either the Royalist or Puritan armies.

Around the same time, the Witchfinder General passed that way. I know who I'd consider the hero.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #128
Don't get me wrong - the cases I cited above were cited with approval, though I have even more time for the Ranters. The gentility and respectability of modern-day Quakers--given their glorious past history--is more of a concern to me.
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #129
By the way, the founder of Quakerism was named George Fox, not Charles Fox. (I go to a Quaker high school, and we have to take a class on it.)

I did do some extracurricular reading on Quakerism, though, just to have some trivia to throw at our teacher and see if she knew it, and I vaguely recall the loincloth incident.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #130
quote:
Mangophobia: I did do some extracurricular reading on Quakerism, though, just to have some trivia to throw at our teacher and see if she knew it
That sounds like something my cousin would do. :rolleyes:

--------------------
VCH VCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stop attacking Cloutier!!
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #131
Sorry about that. Years since I last read Christopher Hill's 'World Turned Upsidedown'.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #132
I salute your cousin's patience, Corey. In every respect.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #133
The internet filter on this computer wouldn't let me see the landover baptist church site. it said it was tasteless. :P

I consider myself open-minded in that I try to see why people believe what they believe. It almost always springs from desire. I also do not critizise anyone for believing in really stupid (very dangerous and subjective word) things, because the majority of the world thinks that about me (almost anyone can say that), and someone else believes in something even zanier with all their heart and soul (if it exists).

edit: after reading some more.

[ Wednesday, June 11, 2003 12:30: Message edited by: Nomencambiatator ]

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Shock Trooper
Member # 1278
Profile #134
No... won't do it... hold back thoughts... resist banning...

--------------------
"The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi."
-The Emperor, Star Wars

Pages