SPAM

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: SPAM
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #0
So, on a recent trip to the grocery store, I noticed that the store is now stocking SPAM. Now, I have very little interest to try it, except for a slight curiosity. So I was wondering (and hence the poll): how many members here have had spam? And if so, what did you think of it?

[ Friday, April 18, 2008 19:19: Message edited by: Nioca ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 43 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=AOkpxpFGlnmF"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=AOkpxpFGlnmF"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Nioca's Citadel
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #1
Dikiyoba has eaten fried spam before. The smell of it cooking was atrocious, but it didn't taste bad. Of course, it didn't taste good either.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb ReloadedEpisode 5: Spiderweb Resistance
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #2
I've driven past the Spam factory a few times, but have never eaten it. Ever. I have also never had a corndog or any Hostess product.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
When properly grilled, it's quite good. At least, much better than it probably deserves to be.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #4
My family tends to stock SPAM when it's on sale. It does well grilled, or when glazed with brown sugar. I've tried it in chef's salad, but the texture is kinda weird.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin insisted that we be the first to bring this up.
So there we are.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

I like speaking my mind, when the voices let me hear it.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #5
I love fried Spam.Nioca, I find it hard to believe that your grocey store just now started carrying it.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #6
I've only had it fried, and it was vile. Not recommended.

In other spammy news, I just got back from a Voltaire concert. It was awesome. Got his autograph on my Del Taco bill.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #7
quote:
I just got back from a Voltaire concert
Voltaire? As in the "It's so easy to be evil" Voltaire?

And I don't particularly hate Spam but I don't like it either. I only ate it sporadically.

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
Warrior
Member # 15187
Profile Homepage #8
I ate it when I was a kid, and very much liked the fat-laden heels. The rest was pretty dull, but when fried became less dull.

That was before I developed a sense of morality and realized that it wasn't nice to eat intelligent, defenseless animals.

C'mon, people! Be kind to your fellow creatures! Just because pigs can't speak English or French that doesn't mean they should be killed for it!

Besides... Spam is bad for your health.

Leave the Spam alone. Maybe some day they'll stop making that gross stuff.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #9
Ick, never tried it. I did see it being prepared once, which promptly put me off the whole idea of it.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - a heart on a string that's about to be cut.
Warrior
Member # 14343
Profile Homepage #10
I used to eat it a lot when I was a kid as well, it wasn't that bad...

My mom used to mash it up and mix mayonnaise and relish with it for sandwiches, it was good.

Of course now that I have a daughter of my own, I can subject her to the same thing, lol.

--------------------
"And if I had the choice I'd take the voice I got / Cause it was hard to find. / You know I've come too far to wind up right back where I started." - Concrete Blonde (True)

http://tobylinn.awardspace.com
http://toby-linn.stumbleupon.com/
http://www.flixster.com/user/tobylinn
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #11
Just a friendly reminder. Pigs (and cows/chickens/lambs/goats) depend on us omnivores for their very lives. You don't honestly think that farmers would grow livestock if there was no market, do you?

Support your local farmer, don't buy processed meat, insist on meat from farms that treat animals humanely.

--------------------

Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #12
Well, you never know. Your taste can be different from all of us. I suggest just buying a can and trying out different ways of it being prepared.

If you hate the stuff, don't eat it. I personally think spam is good.

Edit -I also think Salman is right. Animals should be treated like kings before we eat them.

[ Saturday, April 19, 2008 07:55: Message edited by: Iffy ]

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

My scenario: Muffins n' Hell
Apprentice
Member # 12720
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Iffy:

-I also think Salman is right. Animals should be treated like kings before we eat them.
Imagine the animal that the steak before your eyes once was, with a golden crown on it's head, dressed in some royal purple clothing and with a scepter in it's wing, hoof, etc.

Seriously now, we shouldn't torture livestock but treat them royally? Nahhh.
I prefer my ornk meat well done by the way.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin Salmon:

Just a friendly reminder. Pigs (and cows/chickens/lambs/goats) depend on us omnivores for their very lives. You don't honestly think that farmers would grow livestock if there was no market, do you?

Support your local farmer, don't buy processed meat, insist on meat from farms that treat animals humanely.

Yeah, if you must eat it, at least don't support processed meat. As for "depending on us for their very lives", how so? If we were to leave cows along in a field, would they all die?

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - a heart on a string that's about to be cut.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
Some turkey breeds can no longer reproduce naturally, so they would die out. Chickens would suffer pretty badly from predation, so they might be gone too.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb ReloadedEpisode 5: Spiderweb Resistance
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

So, on a recent trip to the grocery store, I noticed that the store is now stocking SPAM.
I'm willing to bet they've been stocking it on their shelves longer than you've been extant.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #17
I noticed this same thing in an earlier edition of our roughly annual semi-serious vegetarianism discussions: it's surprising how quickly people start bringing up the fate of domesticated species, as opposed to individual domesticated animals. Cows as we know them couldn't survive off the farm, so humans are doing cows a great favor by keeping their species alive. Or alternatively, humans have committed a great crime against cows, by breeding them for helplessness.

I find this curious, because the good or evil for which humans are praised or blamed is in either case much more abstract than anyone would think to mention if a human being were murdered, or born. There seems to me to be something funny about the moral premises involved in this discussion. I can't put my finger on just what it is, but this easy slide to the collective level somehow seems to have something to do with it.

Is this really about the thanks of future cow generations for the births they would not have had without us? Are we so haunted by the herds of tough wild cattle whose existence we forestalled? Anyone else see why I'm again going, Huh? at this point?

[ Saturday, April 19, 2008 10:46: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
Every game, set, and match of a tennis tournament starts with a serve, and that is usually followed by a volley.

Why should the semi-annual vegedebate receive any less gravitas?

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #19
Meh, I like liverwurst better.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs and Scenarios!!!!!
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

Nioca, I find it hard to believe that your grocey store just now started carrying it.
It's not a large store, and its stock varies regularly. If demand for a type of item is overly low (or overly oxymoronic :P ), it tends to disappear from the shelves, never to be seen again. Thus, it somewhat-regularly gets in new items (like SPAM).

quote:
Originally written by Drew:

I'm willing to bet they've been stocking it on their shelves longer than you've been extant.
How much?

--------------------
Nioca's Citadel
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #21
I've never had it, and I intend to keep it that way. I don't know what it's really made of, and that always scares me. What's more… well just look at the name! What good could it possibly do for you?

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

ET reminds me of myself before I was taken into a small chatroom by TM, Alec, and various other members. They then proceeded to beat some sense into me...
-Lt. Sullust

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/16/08)
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Nemesis.:

I've never had it, and I intend to keep it that way. I don't know what it's really made of, and that always scares me. What's more… well just look at the name! What good could it possibly do for you?
Not a fan of hot dogs or fast food, are you...

:P

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

I find this curious, because the good or evil for which humans are praised or blamed is in either case much more abstract than anyone would think to mention if a human being were murdered, or born. There seems to me to be something funny about the moral premises involved in this discussion. I can't put my finger on just what it is, but this easy slide to the collective level somehow seems to have something to do with it.

Is this really about the thanks of future cow generations for the births they would not have had without us? Are we so haunted by the herds of tough wild cattle whose existence we forestalled? Anyone else see why I'm again going, Huh? at this point?

Deep ecology is a wacky field: essentially, complex self-organising ecosystems are seen as having inherent value, and sometimes regarded as living organisms in their own right. I don't really buy into that stuff myself, but it's not hard to critique the ethics of farming livestock from a utilitarian position (see Peter Singer).

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #24
I don't have a can handy, but Wikipedia says "The labelled ingredients in the Classic variety of Spam are: chopped pork shoulder meat with ham meat added, salt, water, sugar, and sodium nitrite to help "keep its color"."

I tried it once. It was very tasty, but also very salty and fatty, so by the time I finished the can I was nauseous. Of course, I'm not sure you're supposed to finish an entire can by yourself in one sitting anyway.

--------------------
My Myspace, with some of my art
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
They Might Be Giants - Four official websites for one of the greatest bands in existence

Pages