Global Warming is real and I can proove it!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Global Warming is real and I can proove it!
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #0
Oh, wait, no I can't. It's. Still. SNOWING!

IMAGE(http://www.geocities.com/tracihedlund/MyGraphics/ProofofGlobalWarming.jpg)

We've had snow on the ground for six full months, which I might not mind... IF I lived in Alaska.

This is mother nature's cruelest April Fool's joke ever. Here's hoping y'all are having a better April morning.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs and Scenarios!!!!!
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Infiltrator
Member # 8
Profile #1
HURR HURR HURR

--------------------
"Names is for tombstones, baby." -Mr. Big
Posts: 699 | Registered: Thursday, September 20 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #2
Which state are you in Jewelz? Or rather what latitude? I'm guessing some of the Finnish or Canadian members won't find it unusual to have had snow for six months...

No April Fools here, apart from the BBC showing off with its flying penguins.
Warrior
Member # 4638
Profile #3
When I was in college, we had a huge snow storm on April Fools (18+ inches) one year. My university was notorious for never canceling classes, so because of the date we were pretty suspicious. But the proof was in the snow and the huge snowball fight involving literally 100+ college students. It was amazing.

--------------------
Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #4
She's in Wisconsin, but not necessarily within the "lake effect" zone, afaik. Still, snow in Wisconsin in April isn't the least bit surprising. Consider though that other recent winters have been comparatively mild.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Skomer:

I'm guessing some of the Finnish or Canadian members won't find it unusual to have had snow for six months...
These days? Yeah, we would.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #6
The penguins, for those of you who haven't seen them yet.

I want one.

[ Tuesday, April 01, 2008 06:59: Message edited by: Karma Police ]

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - What's the point of instruments, words are a sawed off shotgun.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Karma Police:

The penguins, for those of you who haven't seen them yet.

I want one.

Mmmm BBQ!

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #8
This was the most depressing winter around here evar. It doesn't help one bit that I've read that, globally, this winter's been the coldest in 20 years or so. Ours has been the warmest since... ever.

Give us back our snow, you Yankee bastards!

[ Tuesday, April 01, 2008 07:17: Message edited by: Smoo-Cow ]

--------------------
Some of these BoA scenarios might be good:
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty, Outpost Valley
Get them here
Visit Shadow Vale for all your rating needs.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
Yeah this has definitely been a cooler year. We didn't break 90 here in Arizona.

Don't worry Jewelz, it'll soon be warmer and then you can grumble about mud.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
We've had snow too, just last week. It was lying almost 3-4 centimeters deep at some point in places.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Warrior
Member # 6096
Profile Homepage #11
I live in Finland (at the moment in Aland, which is an autonomous province in the south) and I'm disappointed with this year's weather. In december and months before that there was no snow. This year was also very warm, every day above zero (celsius) and the snow that fell melted away almost instantly.

At the end of march, the weather finally got cold and now there has been at least some snow on the ground during the day, too. I think I'm grateful for that.

[ Tuesday, April 01, 2008 09:03: Message edited by: *Milu* ]
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Yeah this has definitely been a cooler year. We didn't break 90 here in Arizona.

It has! I'm still wearing long pants. (Actually it's only because I have to today, but never mind that.)

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #13
I live in Louisiana, It rarely snows and sticks. It roughly sticks about once every 10 years and thats usually one of the coldest days in winter) needless to say when we got several inches of snow in the middle of March it caused me to question global warming. No one I know of know of it snowing in Louisiana in March.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
It certainly is amazing how a phenomena that by definition is affecting the entire planet has focused on your personal weather situation. It must be nice to be the center of the universe. :rolleyes:

--------------------

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #15
And Jewelz wins the best April Fools post award. :)

The best April Fools prank gets people to forget what day it is and gets taken seriously. The second best creates a lot of confusion. The third best is simply amusing. Needless to say, it's pretty hard to fool anybody when every webpage is doing something. However, the amount of time it took me to figure out the level of snow cover in the place where Jewelz lives was much longer than the amount I wondered about all other today's tricks combined. In the end it turned out that the snow depth in (what I presume to be) Jewelz' county this morning was 3-5 inches, so her picture is probably real. However, I couldn't figure it out based on current and recent weather (slightly above freezing), so I had to find the actual snow cover numbers. So Jewelz wins the best April Fools award this year without even trying. :)

PS As for "global warming", this is the reason its official name is "global climate change". Some places are getting warmer. Others are getting colder. While the average temperature over entire planet is rising, it's having a different effect on different places.

[ Tuesday, April 01, 2008 14:37: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #16
Here in Pennsylvania, we had a grand total of 4 inches all winter. It's so depressing.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #17
I agree, it would've been nice to get off work for a few days. I blame the groundhog...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Sorry, this programme is only available to play in the UK
(Why?)
Because the UK hates the colonies, that's why! :P
(By the way, thanks for the YouTube post, Nik.)

Summer's already hit Fresno. I'm currently wearing shorts and a tee shirt, and feeling pretty comfortable about it. Then again, it never snows here anyway.

It's funny, we have one to two weeks of spring and one to two weeks of fall. The rest of the time it's either summer (bloody hot) or winter (not quite cold enough to give us snow).

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

ET reminds me of myself before I was taken into a small chatroom by TM, Alec, and various other members. They then proceeded to beat some sense into me...
-Lt. Sullust

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/7/08)
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #19
Mr. Zeviz is, of course, correct. Members of spiderweb are held to a high standard that frowns upon myths like debunking global warming, creationism or holocaust denial.
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

In the end it turned out that the snow depth in (what I presume to be) Jewelz' county this morning was 3-5 inches, so her picture is probably real.
Of course it's real :P , it's the view out the window next to my front door. At least the forcast for the next week is all above freezing. Get rid of all that nasty snow. I might actually be able to plant something soon.

fwiw lattitude ~ 45

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs and Scenarios!!!!!
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #21
We went to the beach and it snowed. (As well as hailed, rained, and sleeted.) They were HUGE flakes; like snowballs, but we were watching from inside the pub so we weren't terribly drenched. It didn't stick well because it had just rained and it also wasn't really freezing out.

On the drive home, I asked my parents if it had snowed in Portland. "Probably not," they said, as we took the boulevard to our house. But it had, and it continued to snow and hail sporadically the rest of spring break. We used to hit the 70s in spring break! *snif*

--------------------
"Of course, not all technology is good. Some is exactly the opposite (bad)." — Dave Barry
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #22
quote:
*Milu*:
In december and months before that there was no snow. This year was also very warm, every day above zero (celsius) and the snow that fell melted away almost instantly.
Welcome to life in Wales. It rains every, single, day.

Sorry, I didn't realise the BBC iplayer was only viewable from within Britain. I guess they assume that we've all paid our licence fee.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by We Didn't Shard of Fire:

We went to the beach and it snowed. (As well as hailed, rained, and sleeted.) They were HUGE flakes; like snowballs, but we were watching from inside the pub so we weren't terribly drenched. It didn't stick well because it had just rained and it also wasn't really freezing out.

On the drive home, I asked my parents if it had snowed in Portland. "Probably not," they said, as we took the boulevard to our house. But it had, and it continued to snow and hail sporadically the rest of spring break. We used to hit the 70s in spring break! *snif*

We still have snow on the ground, despite the 60 degree weather today. First day in 5 that it didn't snow/hail/sleet though. Sorry about your spring break, I saw pics on the news showing the coast. How was the highway over the coast range?

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 13427
Profile #24
It is interesting to note however that the time carbon dioxide (sp?) levels were highest, the planet was going through the last ice-age.

--------------------
Alternate account.

Pages