Spiderweb Demographics 2008

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Spiderweb Demographics 2008
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #50
Yes, congratulations Alex!

The Nine-Headed Cave Cow smiles upon thee.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #51
quote:
Originally written by Taliesin:

Actually, I do like his economic positions, and only because I've looked deeper than the mainstream media's inaccurate portrayal of him. Just my two cents.
I know all too well his economic positions, I'm the Emperor, remember? He would abolish income tax, and while that sounds great, it benefits the upper class far more than it benefits you (lower middle class). He would instead support things such as sales taxes to fund the government, which hurts the lower classes much more than the higher ones. He would cut just about all spending on government programs, which also screws the lower classes, who benefit from those the most. Now, do you support him because you have faith that you can prosper despite this guy basically created barriers to your progress (which I, as a Tullegolite, would respect), or do you actually think he's helping everyone out with these policies?

--------------------
You lose.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #52
Congrats, Alex. I don't care whether it's two men, a man and a woman or two women, I hope you lead happy lives.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #53
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

happily, gay, and an (soon to be officially) ex-Mormon.
Coming from one Mormon to another, I feel its great that you are doing you beleive in. I've seen how hard the "ex-ing" can be but you need to do what you feel is right for you. Congrats.

--------------------
"The President finally had what he wanted. The President had a planet. All to himself." -A Planet For The President
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #54
I was baptized a Mormon when I was younger, before I had much say about it. I've come to see it more as a cult than a religion.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #55
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Look at all the different races I can get away with making fun of!
Speak for yourself. I'm a second cousin to about half of Europe.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #56
This board needs to get laid, big time. There's a time and a place for everything, folks - and that's college, where it seems most of you (predominantly white protestant males) are. Put down the mouse, pick up the phone, and call that hot girl you're distracted by in your Intro Comp Sci classes!
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #57
Drew, look at the poll. There are at least sixteen members who aren't legal, and around 42 (age 21 or under) that are advised not to.

--------------------
Ornk Meat and Guacamole --------- $6.00
Gazer Tentacle Stew -------------- $10.00
=:T:=
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #58
College is already over for me, I think I missed the boat... :P

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #59
On whose authority are those 21 and under advised not to? Emotional immaturity seems a little hard to support. Any other immaturity is insane.

—Alorael, who can only suppose that the powers that be have realized that sex only works right when the participants are drunk. And to be legally drunk, you must be 21. Ergo, sex begins at 21. But to be safe, they tacked on another year. 22 and over only!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #60
Legality be ****ed.

;)

[ Wednesday, January 30, 2008 18:47: Message edited by: Agrajag ]

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #61
Really, who advises that? Plenty of groups (though a small minority of the population) advise waiting until marriage, but I've never heard of waiting until you're 21.

Currently there are 43 virgins in the poll. The youngest 43 members cover every member 21 years and under! 24 of those members are at least 18, and it seems obviously that a handful of them -- at least -- must be sexually active. So we have some 25 or 30 year old virgins, if not a 40 year old virgin...

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

This board needs to get laid, big time. There's a time and a place for everything, folks - and that's college, where it seems most of you (predominantly white protestant males) are. Put down the mouse, pick up the phone, and call that hot girl you're distracted by in your Intro Comp Sci classes!
One of my high school teachers (Kel, can you guess who?) stopped me in a hallway once, shortly before my graduation, and implored me to make sure I find someone to love in college, because "you never really get another chance." He was fairly old and lived with his mother. It was kind of depressing.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #63
quote:
Originally written by Diphthongos:

if not a 40 year old virgin...
Steve Carrell joined?
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #64
Wow, I read the poll and one person put: Some other gender identification, we all wonder who is is, right Aran? :P
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #65
Soon after I posted that last post of mine I wanted to change the age to 18, but I didn't want to recount the poll. I believe the main groups of people who try and make people wait are schools. But they undermine the process by showing sex ed videos in tenth grade, making seem like you should be active by then.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #66
Are you seriously suggesting that 10th graders wouldn't be thinking about sex if it weren't for sex ed?

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Tales From the Tabard Inn: Now if only there was a 3600 Hour Contest.....
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #67
I don't know what you're talking about, sex education is almost non-existant.

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Kill Them Dead - Rate it now at CSR!
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #68
No, I'm saying that unless you get some weird video, the topic will be approached similar to driver's ed. Tell them how to do it, with caution thrown in everywhere. An approach that makes it sound as though they are expected to do it soon.

Note that my opinion may be a little off, seeing as I went to a private school which did not show a sex ed video.

Edit: Well that explains a lot.

[ Thursday, January 31, 2008 16:12: Message edited by: The Ratt ]

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #69
Thankfully, education rarely gets in the way of human nature.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #70
quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:

Are you seriously suggesting that 10th graders wouldn't be thinking about sex if it weren't for sex ed?
Us sophomores half slept through all the sex-ed freshmen year and back. I don't understand why freshmen need sex-ed when it's preached from fifth to ninth grade.

In other words, I doubt sex-ed videos do much. Parents are the only non-self factor I can think of that affect this idea.

Edit: Wow, I'm surprised the number of Latin and Hebrew speaks. It's a lot more than I was expecting.

[ Thursday, January 31, 2008 16:28: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #71
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Thankfully, education rarely gets in the way of human nature.
Oscar Wilde lives!

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - La maison de mon rêve?
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #72
I suspect that the reason they have sex education classes earlier is because they are having sex earlier. Not the other way around...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #73
I think it has more to do with having reproduction be demystified and being forewarned about disease. The rub is that instructors seem to feel so darned awkward about it because of the puritanical roots of our society as well as certain interest groups that want to keep it in the mystifying, so to speak, in the benighted belief that it will prevent kids from doing it.

I certainly know that nothing would have prevented my hormones in high school from driving me to distraction in school. What kids need is straight talk on the matter, something along the lines of:

1. This is how sex works.
2. Unprotected sex makes babies.
3. You DON'T want a baby now.
4. If you have sex anyway, these methods reduce the risk of pregnancy.
5. These methods are not foolproof.
6. Sex also can transmit horrible, horrible diseases. <lots of images>
7. While certain prophylactics can help prevent the spread of disease, they are less foolproof than methods for preventing pregnancy.
8. If you choose to have sex, BE CERTAIN to use prophylactics, and...
9. Be certain you know the full history of your partner.
10. Also, here are laws that make it illegal to copulate with someone under age 18. Here are the consequences.

I think that's pretty straight forward. To a certain extent, I think it's a losing battle trying to prevent teens from doing everything in their power to hook up, hence the emphasis on prophylactics and the practical problems with intercourse. I think that "true love waits" and abstinence only programs engage in dangerous wishful thinking. In general, I believe that even though it often makes the world seem a bleaker place, more knowledge is always better than less.

[ Friday, February 01, 2008 05:17: Message edited by: Drew ]
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #74
quote:
Originally written by Diphthongos:

In the spirit of past demographics threads, here's a new spiderweb census. This one is a poll instead of an invitation to post your own responses. That makes gathering data easier, but it also makes the answers necessarily more restrictive.

Another effect of turning survey into a poll is that you'll get responses from more people. While only active members tend to reply to surveys, this poll seems to be drawing a lot of lurkers. (At least based on comparing the number of responses with activity level on the boards.) It might be interesting to see if there are any differences in aggregate responses between this anonymous poll and a survey asking the same questions. (Maybe reposting the survey in a few months, so people wouldn't mind answering again.)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.

Pages