Spiderweb Demographics 2008

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Spiderweb Demographics 2008
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #75
True, true.

One thing I have already noticed is that the initial 20 or 30 responses painted a moderately different picture for a few questions. This suggests that the people who spend the most time here (and hence are likely to see the survey sooner) are a demographically distinct subset.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #76
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

10. Also, here are laws that make it illegal to copulate with someone under age 18. Here are the consequences.
Actually, the age of consent in many states is 16.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #77
quote:
One thing I have already noticed is that the initial 20 or 30 responses painted a moderately different picture for a few questions. This suggests that the people who spend the most time here (and hence are likely to see the survey sooner) are a demographically distinct subset.
Or perhaps those are just Aran's bots. :)

Yes, we probably are a different subset due to our lack of sanity.

[ Saturday, February 02, 2008 10:12: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #78
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

quote:

10. Also, here are laws that make it illegal to copulate with someone under age 18. Here are the consequences.
Actually, the age of consent in many states is 16.

Also, in some states there is a "close in age" exception. Here in Colorado, for instance, the statutory rape laws don't take effect unless the participants are four or more years apart, or ten years apart if they're both over fifteen. The age of consent, incidentally, is seventeen.

Edit: Perhaps I should stress that legality does not necessarily equal morality, or good judgment.

[ Saturday, February 02, 2008 10:35: Message edited by: Actaeon ]

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #79
True, but it does carry consequences.
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #80
So the average person here is a 21 year old (presumably intoxicated), male, straight, single, virginal, white, American, atheist, Democratic, computer-geeky, middle-class student. Long live the armchair revolution! Let me know when most of you start coming out.

IMAGE(http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/9657/communistkissea9.jpg)
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #81
I protest! This is ridiculous. You have time to write up an extensively thorough 16 question demographics poll, but no time to write up the judgments for the deathmatch?!! I mean even if you did just one at a time it'd be better then nothing.

The gloves are off now pal.

*gives squinty eyes at Slarty while Dirty Harry music plays in background*

~flutie-e-e-e-e-e-e, wah, wah, wah~

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #82
quote:

I think that "true love waits" and abstinence only programs engage in dangerous wishful thinking.
I don't know about programs, but I'm doing fine on my own. No sex, just a little passionate kissing in the backseat of my car in a dark parking lot... wait a minute...

I guess that means you're right, doesn't it?

--------------------
Love is the movement.
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #83
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

I know all too well his economic positions, I'm the Emperor, remember? He would abolish income tax, and while that sounds great, it benefits the upper class far more than it benefits you (lower middle class). He would instead support things such as sales taxes to fund the government, which hurts the lower classes much more than the higher ones. He would cut just about all spending on government programs, which also screws the lower classes, who benefit from those the most. Now, do you support him because you have faith that you can prosper despite this guy basically created barriers to your progress (which I, as a Tullegolite, would respect), or do you actually think he's helping everyone out with these policies?
That is a better point than I've heard in a long time. Congrats, especially because I can say this about Ron Paul as well. So next time my "Paulhead" teacher starts ranting about the income tax, I'll have a question... muahaha!

As an aside, I don't really have that much against Ron Paul. I think he's a nice guy. Just not a Presidential type. His supporters are another matter entirely, however. They need to take a serious chill pill, and promote some unity in the GOP.

--------------------
Love is the movement.
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #84
Excuse me, Mr. Tullegolar, but your policies appear too grounded in reality. Perhaps you may want to feed the poor to lions; it would be far more amusing and far less boring. ;)

Shenanigans aside, I'm not sure how a person's personality applies to a person's ability to be president, unless that person's personality is actively harmful. Are we as a people electing personalities rather than policies?
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #85
My point exactly. We need a(nother) leader, not just some nice person who will make everybody happy. Because "everybody" can't be happy at the same time. Or just won't, as the case may be.

--------------------
Love is the movement.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #86
quote:
Diprosopus:
Excuse me, Mr. Tullegolar, but your policies appear too grounded in reality.
Those are not my policies, they are someone else's. I was merely clarifying. My policies are all canister related. In fact, I've been mocked in the past for them being far too unrealistic, making your statement all the more ironic. I've even been banned for attempting to relate my policies to the real world, which tends to create offensive scenarios (like killing off the disabled and promoting slavery). If it is entertainment you seek, you need to head to the Geneforge forum and look in the archives for some of those ten page long debates in which I wipe the floor with various Anti-Tullegolites.

[ Tuesday, February 05, 2008 04:00: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #87
quote:
Originally written by Diprosopus:

Shenanigans aside, I'm not sure how a person's personality applies to a person's ability to be president, unless that person's personality is actively harmful. Are we as a people electing personalities rather than policies?
Diplomacy is part of a president's job. Electing someone who won't give unsolicited backrubs to the Chancellor of Germany would be a good start.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #88
It's arguably more important to elect a good personality. For most voters in the rich countries right now, no policies are really all that important. Government by any of their mainstream parties would leave them with roofs over their heads and chickens in their pots.

In such circumstances, you can decide to be just as passionate about a 1% difference in income tax rates as you would be about ending famine or civil war. Or you can vote for a personality that seems most likely to keep your roof up and your chicken simmering, in the event of an unforeseen crisis.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #89
quote:
Originally written by Taliesin:

So next time my "Paulhead" teacher starts ranting about the income tax, I'll have a question... muahaha!
I believe the formal term is "Paultard."
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #90
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

It's arguably more important to elect a good personality. For most voters in the rich countries right now, no policies are really all that important. Government by any of their mainstream parties would leave them with roofs over their heads and chickens in their pots.

In such circumstances, you can decide to be just as passionate about a 1% difference in income tax rates as you would be about ending famine or civil war. Or you can vote for a personality that seems most likely to keep your roof up and your chicken simmering, in the event of an unforeseen crisis.

I agree - so few of presidential candidates' proposed policies have any chance of actually passing. Far more important are their leadership abilities, executive appointments, etc.

Choosing a candidate solely based on issues might be more of a mistake than choosing one solely based on personality.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #91
After all Bush was elected when the only job he was ever successful at was building a public baseball stadium. His personality was a loser and a bully that got by on connections to bail him out of messes. Anyone that looked at his job as Texas governor saw the train wreck he led us into as president.

Demographics - An interesting shift in the last week as the age has shifted lower so more members are below 21 as the single largest block of 10 year age groups ahead of the 20 somethings. Also there are now more students than regular job members. I think this trend will continue with more new members joining the census.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #92
quote:
Originally written by Xel'Raga the Slaughtering Omnimoose:

Wow, I read the poll and one person put: Some other gender identification, we all wonder who is is, right Aran? :P
I am comfortable with being male and heterosexual, and will even admit to virginity. What are you implying?

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #93
Something about you being Alo's bot maybe? Or was it the other way around? I forget. Anyways, it's clear that someone's been having a laugh with the poll: A person who speaks Finnish, but isn't a Finn? Someone who speaks Korean and/or Arabic? Not likely.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #94
quote:
Originally written by Redstart:

Someone who speaks Korean and/or Arabic? Not likely.
There could easily be some Koreans and/or Korean-Americans here, and I know for a fact there's a member living in Dubai.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #95
Alo is rumored to be a Korean businessman and there are a few members from Far East Asia so it isn't a stretch for Korean as a language.

After that recent topic in Finnish it's clear that some members speak Finnish that aren't Finns.

[ Tuesday, February 05, 2008 12:26: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #96
I see that the "not likely" comment meshes in nicely with the entire community. I mean really, exactly how likely is all this?

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #97
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by Redstart:

Someone who speaks Korean and/or Arabic? Not likely.
There could easily be some Koreans and/or Korean-Americans here, and I know for a fact there's a member living in Dubai.

If I remember correctly, Dahak lives in Seoul.

What's up with the Russian money?

I lend a hand in congratulation to Randomizer, who has now exceeded four thousand posts. Nonetheless, I'm not sure why I'm saying that.

quote:
Excuse me, Mr. Tullegolar, but your policies appear too grounded in reality.
Quoted as a pure epitome of Spiderweb Software.

[ Tuesday, February 05, 2008 18:23: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #98
Thanks Excalibur for noticing, but I'll wait to the 8000 range for a milestone.

It's funny to think that the canister addicted Emperor T is grounded in reality.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #99
Well, just because you're crazy in a lot of ways doesn't necessarily mean you're crazy in all ways. And we already knew ET had to have some grasp of reality, otherwise he would have been murdered by an angry mob long ago. :P

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded

Pages