Which way does the water swirl?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Which way does the water swirl?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #0
Well, it's definitely autumn here in Oregon. The leaves have turned into leaves of a different color, and most have committed suicide. Actually, a complex chemical reaction took place and a thin set of cells at the base of each stem became more fragile, but that is beside the point. What is happening is that the silly planet is tilting away from the sun, which exposes less of the northern hemisphere to the direct rays of the sun.

Now, some live on the wrong side of the planet, and actually are experiencing a different season, and are seeing more sun. But let's ignore them for a moment. This shortening of days is causing a dramatic increase in crankiness. Yes, people are starting their annual migration into the realm of suckiness. So, in honor of that event, I think we all need to take a breath of semi-stale air and think about how we react to the world around us, and more importantly the interwebs we connect with.

Being mean to people is sucky, and at this time of year most of us can expect to be, on average, meaner than normal. It is a perfectly okay thing, but just keep it in mind. Try to remember that you might be reacting or overreacting to a person's rhetoric because of seasonal variations in the sun, and not because you actually care.

Or whatever. I've decided to fluctuate between total ambivalence and smarmy snarkiness for the duration of the short season. If I throw in a post which is actually helpful, please ignore it.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #1
The water twirls for thee.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Making poorly-sourced claims is not the same as determining something."
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

...I think we all need to take a breath of semi-stale air and think about how we react to the world around us,...
I react to the end of Idaho's general fishing season (Nov 1) by dusting off my snowboards, beating the moths out of my snow-pants, and hoping for the mountains to be covered in 5+ feet of snow by Thanksgiving Day.

--------------------
Rahhar...
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
Starting a topic that is already going down the drain with the first post. A novel idea.

You need to move further south to where you wished the seasons changed. I makes you nostalgic for seasons that end when they are supposed to instead of a gradual drop out of 100+ temperatures.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #4
As long as it's 45 to 50 degrees at 8:00 a.m. on November 18 in Philadelphia, I couldn't care less what occurs with the seasons. Actually, I *would* be happier if there isn't too much snow this winter. I had my fill of that during undergrad in Eastern Wisconsin. :)

--------------------
In today’s America, there are more World of Warcraft players than farmers.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #5
Am I the only one that loves the longer nights, the cold, and the snow? Autumn/Winter is the coolest!

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #6
I have made peace with the seasons, and relish the neverending cycles of life, death, and rebirth. If we dare to consider them as types and shadows for a higher level of our existence, we could see there is no ultimate death or end of things. Cold and dreary nights make it all the nicer to be inside warm homes with people I love, which is where I'd rather be than most places to begin with. Summer is all the sweeter for having to anticipate it time and again.

Paradise and perfection are initially wonderful, and then we are eager to experience the drama of cycles and winter anew again, so summer can be all the sweeter. This is a great secret about the nature of all things we are and do. Or it's just a way to look at seasons, which, as I say, I have grown to accept and embrace.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

I have made peace with the seasons, and relish the neverending cycles of life, death, and rebirth. If we dare to consider them as types and shadows for a higher level of our existence, we could see there is no ultimate death or end of things. Cold and dreary nights make it all the nicer to be inside warm homes with people I love, which is where I'd rather be than most places to begin with. Summer is all the sweeter for having to anticipate it time and again.

Paradise and perfection are initially wonderful, and then we are eager to experience the drama of cycles and winter anew again, so summer can be all the sweeter. This is a great secret about the nature of all things we are and do. Or it's just a way to look at seasons, which, as I say, I have grown to accept and embrace.

-S-

Yeah...

:P

No, Brody, you are not on your own. I <3 Autumn/Winter too. Frost, breath trails, wrapping up warm, and Christmas specials on T.V. are all wonderful. :P

--------------------
"And the history books forgot about us, and the bible didn't mention us, the bible didn't mention us, not even once.
You are my sweetest downfall- I loved you first, I loved you first.
"

Nikki's Nook - BoA Scenarios and poetry.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #8
The water swirls towards the middle as it goes down the drain.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Well, it's definitely autumn here in Oregon.
I've decided to fluctuate between total ambivalence and smarmy snarkiness for the duration of the short season.

I prefer the weather attitude we have in Michigan: If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes. :D

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1829
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

Am I the only one that loves the longer nights, the cold, and the snow? Autumn/Winter is the coolest!
I felt like adding here that spring and summer are pretty hot.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #11
I absolutely love fall and winter. I hate the heat and love the cold. :)

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #12
Fall is nice, winter can be awesome or boring, spring is pretty but annoying to people with allergies like me, and summer is fine until the AC breaks. All in all I prefer the cool, dry weather.

I love bonfires. :)

--------------------
"We were meant to live for so much more. Have we lost ourselves?" - Switchfoot
----
My poetry
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
Warm isn't always bad... but the summer days in St. Louis when both the temperature and humidity crack 100 are pretty lousy. That said, I appreciate all of the seasons, being the nature-junkie tree-hugger that I am. :P

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

-S-

Are you parodying yourself? :P

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #15
Sometimes it seems like it, yes? In this case I wasn't, but I was feeling reflective and rather euphoric. I know the results can be sickening, not unlike reading someone else's love poetry.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #16
Snow... :(

--------------------
A normal person wouldn't steal pituitaries.
- Hong Kong subtitle
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #17
Snow... :D

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Warrior
Member # 5310
Profile #18
I love snow. And the cold wind that blows it around.
I actually love all the seasons, but winter´s always been kind of my favorite. After spring, summer and autumn that is.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #19
I've always had an affinity for winter, especially since this summer revealed all time record highs for our town. However, despite the searing weather, our first snow was in late September.

(No, Northern Nevada is only semi arid, and our temperature extremes extend in both directions)

According to scientific studies, hot temperatures result in more unrest than cold weather.

--------------------
"On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and the tossing of the sea" Luke 21:25
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #20
quote:

Sometimes it seems like it, yes? In this case I wasn't, but I was feeling reflective and rather euphoric. I know the results can be sickening, not unlike reading someone else's love poetry.

-S-

It wasn't sickening. Rather, just a little bit... "dandy".

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - pretty, pretty?
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #21
It's a lot like watching my friend fall asleep on my couch and then wake up with this light but obnoxious grin that says, "I just had a life-changing epiphany, and I'm going to be insufferably optimistic about things just for now, but I refuse to tell you what caused it or why it's so annoying."

And this happened, too. I'm not coming up with a wild metaphor that doesn't have a basis in real life.

Synergy did tell us what he was feeling at the time, though, so it doesn't really work.

Why am I dwelling on this??? I guess it was even stranger than when I don't make fun of a commercial when it comes on. (Among other things. I make fun of stuff when I don't realize what I'm making fun of it for. My life is full of blank looks.)

--------------------
"Of course, not all technology is good. Some is exactly the opposite (bad)." — Dave Barry
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #22
Nalyd has Seasonal Depressive Disorder. Or something like that.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.