Which game to play?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Which game to play?
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #0
I've been playing RPGs for many years and just came across this site. Games I've really liked include Planescape Torment, The AOW series, Natuk and Helherron.
There are so many games to choose from here I'm not sure where to start. Could I get a couple of recommendations please?
Thanks
How

--------------------
How786

Soya-Kaas cheeses have dairy in them!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
Most folks seem to dig Avernum 2 or Exile 2. They are the same story, written on two different engines. Exile is better, but that is just the right opinion. You might find yourself being wrong and liking the Avernum engine. Demo both and you'll see...

ps. Welcome aboard, beware the skillfully thrown mango.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #2
Nethergate is also highly rated. Geneforge 1 isn't bad either. Just grab a demo or two and see what you like.

However, don't download the Homeland demo.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
Another good choice is Nethergate. It's similar to the Avernum series with a different magic system and you can play the game from different viewpoints (Romans or Celts).

If you can wait a few more weeks then Geneforge 4 will be out and that looks like it will be the best of that series.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

However, don't download the Homeland demo.

Dikiyoba.

Now why did you have to go and mention that monstrosity? We both know what has to happen now, right? You've seen horror movies. How will look into the closet and will go stark raving mad as a result. And it will be all your fault.

Oh, and my bad for forgetting about Nethergate. That has some fans as well. Just don't ask Tyranicus about it. He gets mighty talkative when the subject is raised. ;)

--------------------
quote:

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #5
*magical double post?*

[ Tuesday, October 17, 2006 21:28: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #6
Don't play Nethergate first. It would not accurately represent other Spiderweb games. Also, don't start in the middle of a series. My Imperial recommendation is Geneforge 1. However, for the full experience, which you may want since you seem like a serious RPGer (I've never even heard of Natuk) start with Exile 1.

Edit: Don't play anything outside of the three main series and Nethergate. You should buy them... just don't play them, ever.

[ Tuesday, October 17, 2006 21:29: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

[Nethergate] would not accurately represent other Spiderweb games.
Very true, considering the fact that no other Spidweb game is quite as good as Nethergate. Avernum 2 comes close, but Nethergate is still better. That said, I myself do not care for the Geneforge games, but that is a personal preference. From what I've been told the 1st two are good, and the 3rd one is absolute dreck. As for Exile and Avernum, pick one or the other. You probably will not want to play both the Exile series and the Avernum series, as the Avernum games are merely remakes of the Exile games. I like Avernum better myself, but that's because I just can't get used to the Exile engine. My recommendation would be either Nethergate or Avernum 1 for your first game.

This topic seems to be reborn every few weeks or so. I wonder if this is the most common recurring topic, or if karma topics and surveys top it. Has Aran ever done a study on this?

[ Tuesday, October 17, 2006 21:45: Message edited by: Tyranicus. ]

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #8
Thanks for the many suggestions guys! I really appreciate your input. One last point of info is that I usually prefer party-based games to individual solo games. I took a quick look at Geneforge and it seems to be a solo rather than party based. I'm not sure if that would change your suggestions much.
I'm surprised to learn that the Avernum series is merely a remake of the Exile games.
Also, I am always happy to pay for indy games and support good authors. In fact, even though Helherron was free, I sent the author a donation.

[ Tuesday, October 17, 2006 23:31: Message edited by: How ]

--------------------
How786

Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #9
I think you'll like Exile/Avernum. Both come with an editor: Blades of Exile and Blades of Avernum. There's a great number of very good Exile scenarios that you can download for free once you've bought BoE, also a number of Avernum scenarios, downloadable when you buy Blades of Avernum. Exile 3's engine is somewhat different from E1 and E2; if the first two are too oldfashioned for you, you may still enjoy the third.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
I haven't. Counting topics is one thing. Grouping topics by content is still beyond my pitiful artificial intelligence. --Piperbot

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #11
Originally by How:

quote:
One last point of info is that I usually prefer party-based games to individual solo games. I took a quick look at Geneforge and it seems to be a solo rather than party based.
It depends. You can play Geneforge with a solo character, or you can have your character create creations to travel and fight with you.

Also, Exile allows you to have six party members while Avernum only allows you to have four, if the number of party members matters at all.

Dikiyoba.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #12
Don't let those Exile purists fool you, Avernum is the way to go. But why take my word? Download the demos.

Anyway my list goes: BOA, BOE, Avernum Trilogy, Nethergate.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #13
There are few Exile "purists" here, but there are plenty of people who just plain think Exile was better in more ways than Avernum was. I'm one of them, but based on the games you listed off, I suspect you might prefer Avernum. *shrug*

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #14
Thanks again for all the suggestions. Your input/support is heartening.
Now, it's time to take a peek at these games.
One thing I'd like to get clear concerns Exile/Avernum. Are they really the same game but with a different interface or what? At least one poster asserted they were the same.
"....the Avernum games are merely remakes of the Exile games."

[ Wednesday, October 18, 2006 06:53: Message edited by: How ]

--------------------
How786

Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #15
Yes. Avernum and Exile are the same games. However, Avernum has a better interface, graphics, and is more user friendly, at least according to me. Others may like the Exile graphics better, but they might scare some people away.
I find the inventory system to be much improved in the Avernum series.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #16
Yes, Averum 1-3 and Blades of Avernum are remakes of Exile 1-3 and Blades of Exile. The plots of the Exile and Avernum trilogy are the same, but as I understand it, the Avernum trilogy has a few more side-quests. The main difference between the two trilogies is the interface, though I'm sure people will post after me discussing the merits of Exile's greater number of spells, Avernum's isometric graphics, etc., etc., etc.

EDIT: Or posting before me discussing the merits of each...

On the other hand, Avernum 4 is completely new, not a rewrite. It uses the Geneforge engine, but is party-based instead of solo based.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
When my Legions of Terror park their vehicle to do reconnaissance on foot, they will be instructed to employ The Club.

[ Wednesday, October 18, 2006 07:09: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #17
They are different like a "book on tape" is different from the written word. If you like the written word, get Exile. If you prefer to listen to someone famous interpret the characters, Avernum all the way.

Download the demo and try each. You'll see.

--------------------
quote:

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #18
I prefer to look at is this way: If you like your books in paper- get Avernum. If you prefer books chiseled into a slab of stone, or perhaps written in hieroglyphs on papyrus- get Exile.

That's just my unbiased opinion. :P

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
If you want a really unbiased opinion, download the demos.

The major differences are Avernum's isometric perspective and use of height, its slightly different skill system, and a very different and more limited list of spells. Exile 1 just seems too old to me, but E2 and E3 are both good. That said, I prefer the Avernum series.

Also, just download Nethergate and start playing. Please.

You can have more than one character in Geneforge, but only one is "you" and that's the only one with inventory and the full skill system. Geneforge feels very different.

—Alorael, who actually has heard of and played Natuk. The only impression that stayed with him was the novelty of playing a party of typical interchangeable goblinoid victims and the excessive targeting system. Spleen damage, anyone?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Eye Pie:

—Alorael, who actually has heard of and played Natuk. The only impression that stayed with him was the novelty of playing a party of typical interchangeable goblinoid victims and the excessive targeting system. Spleen damage, anyone?
http://www.proudft.com/natuk.html

quote:
Originally written by Eye Pie:

Also, just download Nethergate and start playing. Please.
I'm starting to feel a stupid because I never played it... v_v

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #21
Don't feel bad. I've only played the Avernum games. Some day I'll get to the rest, but… let's just say I need a source of income before buying anything else.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #22
Or you could go buy Baulder's Gate 2...

But if you want Spidweb, A2/E2 and Nethergate are the ways to go.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

Yes. Avernum and Exile are the same games. However, Avernum has a better interface, graphics, and is more user friendly, at least according to me. Others may like the Exile graphics better, but they might scare some people away.
I find the inventory system to be much improved in the Avernum series.

Thanks again for the input guys!
Hmmmm.....is it true that Exile allows for 6 characters and Avernum 4 characters in your party?
If so, that would appear to be a major difference.
I really like the analogies some of you have made.
Both astute and funny!

--------------------
How786

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #24
Yes, it's true. However, it's possible to get a 6-person party in BoA.

In my humble opinion, you should play them all. They're all excellent, including Avernum 4.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.

Pages