Which game to play?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Which game to play?
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #25
How, looking at screenshots from the various RPGs you have played, it seems you should get along just fine with either interface, you may even prefer Exile's. Once again I stress that if you want the full experience, start with Exile. If you find the series worthy of another round (I think you will) then you can move on to Avernum. Judging from your standards, you probably wouldn't like Geneforge very much, but it's always there waiting for you.

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #26
My recommendations would be Blades of Exile, SubTerra (note: not SW and only if you're on windows; it doesn't exist for mac), Exile 3, and Avernum 2. I've released stuff of my own for the first two.

[ Wednesday, October 18, 2006 11:02: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #27
By Nioca:
quote:
Yes, it's true. However, it's possible to get a 6-person party in BoA.
Before false expectations get built up, someone should clarify.

In some scenarios, you can have up to two NPCs join your party. You cannot directly control these NPCs.

--------------------
Oops. I think I was supposed to yell "Sneak Attack" just there.
- Nale (OotS)
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #28
quote:
Originally written by BainIhrno:

My recommendations would be Blades of Exile, SubTerra (note: not SW and only if you're on windows; it doesn't exist for mac), Exile 3, and Avernum 2. I've released stuff of my own for the first two.
Thanks for the advice. What is SubTerra and what stuff have you released?

[ Wednesday, October 18, 2006 11:25: Message edited by: How ]

--------------------
How786

Soya-Kaas cheeses have dairy in them!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #29
SubTerra is a gem collection game distributed by Spiderweb once upon a time. It's now free, but its forum is still at the bottom of the list here.

Blades of Exile allows anyone to make and play scenarios in the Exile 3 style. That usually means small adventures, but some of them are not so small. Quite a few are considered better than the Exile games in plot. In fact, if you like Exile 3 at all, get BoE as well. Don't trust the demo to give you a fair example of a scenario, because Valley of Dying things is considered barely this side of mediocre.

[Edit: Bain-Ihrno's scenarios and a few utilities are here.]

—Alorael, who also still thinks that despite all these years and amazing leaps in technology BoE is by far the easiest tool for creating your own game (as long as your game is Exile-style).

[ Wednesday, October 18, 2006 11:39: Message edited by: Hypertoroid ]
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #30
I'm surprised that we haven't had the usual onslaught of BUY BOE that comes with such topics. BoE has a LOT of third-party scenarios associated with it, including some VERY high-quality ones. If you want to buy one game and play forever, buy BoE. It comes highly recommended.

A1/E1 is good for starting out the Avernum/Exile series and playing it all the way through.

A2/E2 is probably the best-plotted with the best atmosphere.

A3/E3 is by far the largest. Reviews are mixed as to its plot, but the immersive-world aspect is superb.

A4 is the newest, but reviews have been very mixed.

Nethergate uses a hybrid Avernum/Exile engine, more Avernum (graphics, interface) than Exile (dialogue), with a few of its own touches (spells). It's generally the fan favorite around here.

BoA has a fair number of third-party scenarios as well, and it has a more advanced scenario-design engine. There will probably be a steady stream of BoA scenarios for years to come.

Others have suggested that you might not like GF as much.

And, of course, there's always the system of downloading the demos and seeing which one grabs your interest. I don't think anyone has ever been fooled by SW demos, really. They're all pretty representative of the whole game (except the Blades demos, which vastly under-represent the gaming experience).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #31
Talking about BoE demo giving bad impression of the game, there is a review forum for BoE scenarios at http://p080.ezboard.com/fthelyceumfrm27 The demo scenario is currently in 90th place with average rating 6.35 (highest scenario has rating 9.49, lowest - 1.00).

My personal recommendation would be to start with E2/A2 (whichever you prefer) and go back to A1 later if you want, because the first installment in each series is not as technologically polished as the following games. Geneforge series is good from game 1, but Geneforge 2 is still better, so you could start with that too.

SubTerra is a fun puzzle game that is now completely free. I like it, but it's not related to RPGs.

[ Wednesday, October 18, 2006 15:11: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #32
I'd suggest starting with Blades of Exile or Exile III and then moving on from there, depending on your opinion of the interface and plot(s).

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #33
Thanks for all the excellent input. I really did not expect so many useful comments.

--------------------
How786

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #34
quote:
Originally written by How:

Thanks for all the excellent input. I really did not expect so many useful comments.
Let that be a lesson to you!!

(Low expectations = Happiness)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #35
I prefer the Geneforge series, and since it's one long story, I'd recommend starting from the beginning. The first game in the series is probably the best of the first three, too, though in my opinion not by so much. G2 added some interesting new developments, including more artifacts, spells, and monsters. G3 wasn't a major breakthrough, but I thought it was a fine game, and it added some important elements.

G4 will be excellent. So you'd better hurry to get through the others!

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #36
Really, I prefer just about any other role playing game to the dreck that is shovelled out the door at Spiderweb :mad: Save your money and buy a real product from a real company like Grand Theft Auto or Bully from Rockstar Games

Ha Ha just kidding around ;) Thought I'd give a different perspective.

For plot, storyline and "intellectual" interest n/t beats a good spideyplot. You'll try them all. ;)

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by Spookee Salmon:

Most folks seem to dig Avernum 2 or Exile 2. They are the same story, written on two different engines. Exile is better, but that is just the right opinion. You might find yourself being wrong and liking the Avernum engine. Demo both and you'll see...

ps. Welcome aboard, beware the skillfully thrown mango.

Actually, I tried a bunch of the demos. I've settled on Exile 2 as my first game. I prefer the 6 person party and I dislike the way Avernum handles party movement outside of combat. It seems a lot harder to navigate with 4 people trying to follow each other. To me, the swirch was not a good design decision.
Thanks again for all your suggestions guys!

--------------------
How786

Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #38
You really like the grouped up party more?
I'm not bashing your decision, but I like the Avernum system of fighting without going into combat mode.
To each his own I guess.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #39
The posting page came up blank, I swear.

[ Saturday, October 21, 2006 20:13: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

I'm not bashing your decision, but I like the Avernum system of fighting without going into combat mode.
To each his own I guess.

Right you are. I was mistaken. I find the combat system of Exile 2 very confusing and difficult to decipiher.
Well, back to Avernum 2.

--------------------
How786

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Originally written by How:

quote:

To each his own I guess.

Right you are. I was mistaken. I find the combat system of Exile 2 very confusing and difficult to decipiher.
Well, back to Avernum 2.

What exactly do you fing confusing in Exile system? (That part of the game was almost entirely unchanged between two series, aside from Avernum's removal of most of fun spells.)

PS Looks like we might have an Exile v. Avernum debate again. Haven't had one of those in a while. :)

[ Saturday, October 21, 2006 22:45: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #42
Well, in Avernum, it is easy for me to tell where each member of my party is and what their options are. I can move them around easily.
In Exile 2 I find it really difficult to tell what's going on in the combat. It seems like all 6 party members are somehow stacked on top of each other in the same square.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong......

--------------------
How786

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #43
In Exile, you have to enter "combat mode" by clicking the large sword icon on the right edge of the toolbar. When you enter combat mode, your party splits up and your characters act one at a time. The commands at the bottom also change, but it's pretty obvious what they do. (Cast mage/priest spells, use ranged attack, etc. The difference between Shield button and "wait" command is that "wait" simply lets all your other characters move and returns to the active character before the round is over, while Shield ends the round for this character completely.)

The only time your party will not take up 6 different squares when combat starts is if there isn't enough place for them to do so. In that case, several characters will occupy the same spot until you move them away.

When the combat is over and you press "End" button, your party all gathers on the spot where one of your characters was standing.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #44
Hmmmmm.....DUH!
I wonder if I did not actually enter combat mode.
Could I have been fighting and NOT been in combat mode?

[ Sunday, October 22, 2006 00:01: Message edited by: How ]

--------------------
How786

Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #45
No, I don't think you could have been doing that, How.
Yea, you have to be in combat mode to hurt anything.

--------------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #46
quote:

No, I don't think you could have been doing that, How.
Yea, you have to be in combat mode to hurt anything.

That's only true in some Avernums. In Exile, you can fight without entering combat mode by just walking into monsters. (Helpful when you are going through area full of monsters that are too weak for you and don't want to bother with combat mode.)

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

That's only true in some Avernums. In Exile, you can fight without entering combat mode by just walking into monsters.
You've got it the wrong way round; it's possible to attack with your lead character outside of combat mode in Avernum/Nethergate, but not in Exile.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #48
I just checked and it looks like you are right. I haven't played Exile for so long that I've forgotten about details like that.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #49
*big grin* I've restarted both Exile and Avernum and am leisurely replaying E1 right now, enjoying it greatly. I'd forgotten how vast and dangerous the caves seem in the beginning, where the lack of streets and pathways in the outdoors, your lowly stats and pitiful weaponry, and the constant respawn of monsters keep you on your toes. Avernum's outdoor pathways changed that atmosphere for me and are probably the reason why the remake felt more linear right away. Getting to a town 'somewhere west' is an adventure when that's all the orientation you have and you confront a forest that you may or may not be able to pass through. A street leading to said town in almost next to no time just doesn't compare.

I need a plot and an atmosphere that get me hooked and do battle when I have to. I'm not seeking it. Planning to avoid a fight that looks as if it can't be avoided and you don't feel up to can be just as much fun as looking for strategies to outmanoeuver your opponent in actual battle - as long as you manage to reach your destination, of course.

E2/A2 are both beautiful games, true gems, just as Nethergate is. Whatever version you prefer, you'll love them.

edit: spelling corrected

[ Sunday, October 22, 2006 00:58: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version

Pages