Which game to play?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Which game to play?
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #50
When I left town and entered combat my characters DID split up. I'm not sure what was happening before.
(boggle)

--------------------
How786

Soya-Kaas cheeses have dairy in them!
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #51
quote:
Originally written by ef:

*big grin* I've restarted both Exile and Avernum and am leisurely replaying E1 right now, enjoying it greatly. I'd forgotten how vast and dangerous the caves seem in the beginning, where the lack of streets and pathways in the outdoors, your lowly stats and pitiful weaponry, and the constant respawn of monsters keep you on your toes. Avernum's outdoor pathways changed that atmosphere for me and are probably the reason why the remake felt more linear right away. Getting to a town 'somewhere west' is an adventure when that's all the orientation you have and you confront a forest that you may or may not be able to pass through. A street leading to said town in almost next to no time just doesn't compare.

I need a plot and an atmosphere that get me hooked and do battle when I have to. I'm not seeking it. Planning to avoid a fight that looks as if it can't be avoided and you don't feel up to can be just as much fun as looking for strategies to outmanoeuver your opponent in actual battle - as long as you manage to reach your destination, of course.

E2/A2 are both beautiful games, true gems, just as Nethergate is. Whatever version you prefer, you'll love them.

edit: spelling corrected

Great and exciting comments. In trying both E2 and A2 is appears as though E2 has significantly more spells. Does this affect gameplay much?
Yeah, I feel pitiful with my level one characters out there fighting. My guy with a bow can't hit for crap. <S>
We quickly discovered some square close to Fort Draco due West that, when searched, released a horde of spiders and some kind of nasty mob that would cast and kill my guys quickly.

--------------------
How786

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #52
You can keep asking which of E/A is better until you're blue in the face, but the answer you get will always be someone else's opinion. You'll get a better answer by trying both demos and going for the one you actually like best.

I prefer Exile, because I knew and loved it long before Avernum existed. The range of spells is fab, and in my opinion the graphics are prettier too.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #53
quote:
Originally written by How:

Great and exciting comments. In trying both E2 and A2 is appears as though E2 has significantly more spells. Does this affect gameplay much?
Well, most of Exile's spells are special-purpose spells that you probably won't find much use for, or variations on other spells. There are a few gems in among them, though. All the different "field" spells (Conflagration, Wall of Force, etc.) are great if you know how to use them tactically, and their only analogue in Avernum is Cloud of Blades, which isn't available until high levels.

quote:
Yeah, I feel pitiful with my level one characters out there fighting. My guy with a bow can't hit for crap.
Bows aren't very good in Exile, and they're only a little better in Avernum.

Anyway, everyone's going to miss a lot at low levels. In Exile, put as many points as you can in Melee, Bashing or Pole Weapons skill; weapon skills are better value than Dexterity, as long as you're willing to stick with one weapon type for each character. Once your weapon skills get to around 10, you won't miss as much. In Avernum, the numbers are a little different but the general principle is the same.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #54
The other big spell change in Avernum is the absence of Fireball-type spells with areas of effect. Being able to aim multiple target spells at whichever foes you'd like without worrying about hitting your own party is convenient, but it tales a little bit of fun out of the battles.

A4 brings back areas of effect but not friendly fire.

—Alorael, whose main source of disorientation in E1 isn't the lack of roads. It's the lack of a decipherable automap and the inability to move with the map open. He was always traveling blind.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #55
quote:
We quickly discovered some square close to Fort Draco due West that, when searched, released a horde of spiders and some kind of nasty mob that would cast and kill my guys quickly.
I don't know how far into the game you are, but if that was your first trip to Fort Draco, you'll find a lot of things you can do there and east of that ominous bridge that help you gain a level or two.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #56
quote:

quote:
I don't know how far into the game you are, but if that was your first trip to Fort Draco, you'll find a lot of things you can do there and east of that ominous bridge that help you gain a level or two.

I'm not far into the game and I'm going to reroll. I think I'm going to stick with melee weapon skills for my 3 frontline guys. I'd given one of them a lot of bow skill and I was just told that bows aren't all the good.
So, mind providing a small spoiler or 2?
<S>

--------------------
How786

Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #57
Archery can be a very useful backup. But don't use it as your primary attack.
I always head east first and do the Nephil quest. Leave the spiders till later. They can be tough at low levels.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #58
I'm kinda puzzled. I was exploring the starting town with my NEW party. The Nephs attacked the town and I helped out. After a long battle, we prevailed.
I got a breastplate from the Neph. Chief. (I'm not 100% sure. I might have been Sliths that attacked)
A few questions:
1-When my primary melee guy (Slith polearm) equips the breastplate his encumberance goes from 0 to 3. He can carry it without penalty but not equip it it seems. How significant is this? and why? Should he stick to leather?
2-When I go to the starting room NW to rest up and get back SPs I keep getting a message "You can't rest while in combat". But, I'm NOT in combat. The battle is over and I see no stragglers to kill. I need my SPs back! :>
Help appreciated.

--------------------
How786

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #59
Encumbrance generally only matters for mages - they can't cast spells with encumbrance higher than 1. It can sometimes reduce the AP available in combat, but high Defense skill will diminish that.

As for the resting, you can't rest while in combat mode. If you're still controlling all six characters separately, you're in combat mode and need to exit by pressing 'f' or 'e' (I forget which).

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #60
quote:

1-When my primary melee guy (Slith polearm) equips the breastplate his encumberance goes from 0 to 3. He can carry it without penalty but not equip it it seems. How significant is this? and why? Should he stick to leather?
Each point of encumbrance reduces your chance to hit by 5%, which isn't so bad. More significantly, having too much of it means you sometimes get less action points in combat, which is bad. It also causes mage spells to fail if you have more than 1 point. Try to limit encumbrance to 2 for non-mages, and always limit it to 1 for mages.

quote:
2-When I go to the starting room NW to rest up and get back SPs I keep getting a message "You can't rest while in combat". But, I'm NOT in combat. The battle is over and I see no stragglers to kill. I need my SPs back! :>
Help appreciated.
Is your party still split up into individual PCs? If so, press the little "End" button to end combat mode.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #61
Thanks guys for the useful info re: encumberance.
Actually, I am NOT in combat mode. I'm not split up. Only see one guy. I entered and exited combat mode once to be certain. So, why can't I rest? Is this some kinda bug?
Rechecked: The message is "No resting during an attack". I see no attack.

[ Sunday, October 22, 2006 14:12: Message edited by: How ]

--------------------
How786

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #62
quote:

Thanks guys for the useful info re: encumberance.
Actually, I am NOT in combat mode. I'm not split up. Only see one guy. I entered and exited combat mode once to be certain. So, why can't I rest? Is this some kinda bug?
Rechecked: The message is "No resting during an attack". I see no attack.

You just have to leave the city and go back in. The game doesn't realize that attack is over.

As for re-rolling the characters, doing that after every defeat might get very frustrating, considering that it's possible to wonder into battles that are too tough for you without knowing what to expect. It's possible to play in ironman mode, but I wouldn't recommend it for your first playthrough.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #63
Thanks for the tip. I'll try exiting town.
I did not reroll because of a defeat.
I rerolled because my original party had an archer-type guy in it and a few people told me that bows weren't all that great in the game. It seemed like a lotta wasted points in bows that could have been better spent. Since I was just beginning, I made a new party.
Yup...exiting town cleared things. I rested fine afterwards. Thank you.

[ Sunday, October 22, 2006 14:29: Message edited by: How ]

--------------------
How786

Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #64
Is there a stat that lowers encumberance when you raise that stat? (STR? DEX?)

--------------------
How786

Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #65
Sorry...I just found out it is Defense.

--------------------
How786

Agent
Member # 27
Profile #66
Archery is good for taking out spellcasters (pesky in long battles) and weak-armored units. Giving your character skill in poison and then poisoning your arrows works well too.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #67
quote:
got a breastplate from the Neph. Chief. (I'm not 100% sure. I might have been Sliths that attacked)
Nephils. And the armour, though nice to have, was not the most important thing you picked up. There's something else that you'll need in a very little while.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #68
Please don't double post. Edit instead.

—Alorael, who happens to have just replied to the question elsewhere on the very same subject. Now you should really know how not to let the armor drag you down. Those pieces of paper are another matter entirely.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #69
quote:

quote:
got a breastplate from the Neph. Chief. (I'm not 100% sure. I might have been Sliths that attacked)
Nephils. And the armour, though nice to have, was not the most important thing you picked up. There's something else that you'll need in a very little while.

Ah...must be the map.
<S>

--------------------
How786

Warrior
Member # 7580
Profile #70
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

Archery is good for taking out spellcasters (pesky in long battles) and weak-armored units. Giving your character skill in poison and then poisoning your arrows works well too.
Thanks. Poison arrows must be nasty against casters. How much in archery is needed to make it useful?

--------------------
How786

Agent
Member # 27
Profile #71
Similar to the other weapons skills. Also, blessing any type of warrior will make him twice as effective in combat. (Blessing is cumulative, at least in Exile).
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #72
In the early Avernum games you gain benefits from multiple blessings and protections.

Archery isn't that useful in the early part of the game. You should increase it before going on to chapter 2, but you can always wait. It's most useful for when you are in a corridor where only one character can melee attack or the opponents can't reach you for melee.

The nice part about Exile is near the middle of the game your mage gets shockwave. Two hasted mages can in 4 castings wipe out nearly everything on the map. In one round before you do any other attacks there are just neat piles of treasure to loot.

Pages