Civil Unions disallowed in ACT

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Civil Unions disallowed in ACT
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #0
This is slightly old news, but who cares. From the ABC:

quote:
The Federal Government has gained the support of a Family First Senator to successfully fight off a challenge to its decision to quash ACT laws for same-sex civil unions.

The Opposition and minor parties were challenging the Government's decision to disallow the ACT civil unions law.

Liberal Senator Gary Humphries, a former chief minister of the ACT, crossed the floor and supported the challenge.

"I'm not convinced that there was no alternative to disallowance," Senator Humphries said.

But despite Senator Humphries' move, the motion was defeated because Family First Senator Steve Fielding voted with the Government.

Discuss. I've been following this story fairly closely, so I can probably answer any questions.

[ Tuesday, June 20, 2006 19:55: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
Why?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #2
Oppression makes the world go round...

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #3
God is love, God is acceptance. The end.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #4
Revolution.

It's the only logical answer.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #5
I really don't see the point of disallowing it. The pair love each other, so why should it not be official?

I'm not for same-sex marriage. A proper marriage, IMO, would be against the tradition that marriage was built around.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Freakin' Salmon:

Why?
The Federal Government took the position that Civil Unions as described in the ACT legislation were marriage in all but name, and that the ACT did not have the power to make laws governing marriage.

quote:
Originally written by Sprung:

I really don't see the point of disallowing it. The pair love each other, so why should it not be official?

I'm not for same-sex marriage. A proper marriage, IMO, would be against the tradition that marriage was built around.

As above, the reason Howard and Co. quashed it was because they saw it as being same-sex marriage under another name.

[ Tuesday, June 20, 2006 20:59: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

quote:
Originally written by Freakin' Salmon:

Why?
The Federal Government took the position that Civil Unions as described in the ACT legislation were marriage in all but name, and that the ACT did not have the power to make laws governing marriage.

IMAGE(http://www.thismodernworld.org/arc/1990/90love.gif)

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #8
quote:

A proper marriage, IMO, would be against the tradition that marriage was built around.
What tradition was this exactly? Kids?

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Thin Air:

quote:

A proper marriage, IMO, would be against the tradition that marriage was built around.

That can mean a result with a family being a full functional element of society. The same-sex marriage hasn't prooved yet to be one. May be they didn't have time to do that, or may be it is unprovable. I didn't want to offend somebody, btw.

---------------------------------
The voices tell me they don't like politics, same-sex marriages and blending both. They like RPG.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #10
Well then, please define "fully functional element of society".

(No offense taken.)

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #11
Well, this is supposed to be a Christian country...and according to the Bible, God destroyed Sodom and Gommorah because it was full of gay people and other very corrupt doings.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Cairo Jim:

Well, this is supposed to be a Christian country...and according to the Bible, God destroyed Sodom and Gommorah because it was full of gay people and other very corrupt doings.
This is not true. If you want to explain why some Christians believe homosexuality is a sin, please look elsewhere.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #13
quote:

quote:

This is not true. If you want to explain why some Christians believe homosexuality is a sin, please look elsewhere.

I can think of two fairly logical explanations for this (Why christians believe this):

1) The church simply made it a sin, as the church said quite some things (in my opinion) which are simply *cough* bull****;

2) It may be something that our very early ancestors already disapproved from. I don't know this and I also don't really believe in this. Maybe we can ask a biologist about what he thinks: can this be an inherited thing or not? Thuryl?

[ Wednesday, June 21, 2006 03:23: Message edited by: Mc 'mini' Thralni ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Hurling Frootmig:

quote:

quote:

That can mean a result with a family being a full functional element of society. The same-sex marriage hasn't prooved yet to be one. May be they didn't have time to do that, or may be it is unprovable. I didn't want to offend somebody, btw.
---------------------------------
The voices tell me they don't like politics, same-sex marriages and blending both. They like RPG.

Straight marriage is a safe haven for pedophiles and hookers. :rolleyes: I didn't want to offend anybody.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #15
Haha! Looks like Australia may be just as intolerant as the US on this one! Stick it in your ear, Aussies! :P

All marriages, for purposes of the state, should be civil unions, per TM's comic. "Marriage" is a religious term, and so should remain separate.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Mc 'mini' Thralni:

quote:

quote:

I can think of two fairly logical explanations for this (Why christians believe this):

1) The church simply made it a sin, as the church said quite some things (in my opinion) which are simply *cough* bull****;

2) It may be something that our very early ancestors already disapproved from. I don't know this and I also don't really believe in this. Maybe we can ask a biologist about what he thinks: can this be an inherited thing or not? Thuryl?

1) They did not make it a sin, but they took far too much out of context in order to justify it. All that was needed was the phrase that men should not spill their seed, i.e. perform in sexual acts that does not have the potential result of impregnantation.

2) Not likely, if it were so, that line of humanity would hav died out before even the idea of civilization came about.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
Wow, I wouldn't have expected this from Australia. Kind of depressing, really.

Personally, I never really saw the motive for disallowing same-sex marriages. Well, I never saw the motives that made sense... I'm just familiar with the "I'm personally insecure about it" and "I am a slave to my political agenda" motivations.

And then there's that wonderful slippery slope argument, as if people will suddenly start marrying snakes or something. Oh wait. People already do that? Well, that argument fails at life, then.

quote:
Originally written by Mc 'mini' Thralni:

Please, I beg of you, don't go down that road. Any biological debate which Thuryl gets into becomes incoherent to half of the rest of us.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Personally, I never really saw the motive for disallowing same-sex marriages. Well, I never saw the motives that made sense... I'm just familiar with the "I'm personally insecure about it" and "I am a slave to my political agenda" motivations.
It's pretty simple, really. Ever hear older people complain about how all their friends are getting married and now they feel left out because all the married people only hang around with other married people? There are plenty of people who marry so they can feel superior to unmarried people. The more people are allowed to get married, the fewer people they can feel superior to (and the more all those lovely tax concessions married people enjoy have to be shared around).

quote:
Please, I beg of you, don't go down that road. Any biological debate which Thuryl gets into becomes incoherent to half of the rest of us.
Am I that bad at explaining myself to a lay audience? :(

[ Wednesday, June 21, 2006 05:39: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #19
Personally, I think that marriage should be open to any two people who wish to partake of it. I defy you to find any place in the Bible that says that marriage is a religious thing. Go ahead and look. It isn't there. The idea that marriage is religious and a sacrament came out of the Catholic church wanting to control all parts of people's lives.

[ Wednesday, June 21, 2006 06:19: Message edited by: Tyran ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #20
No, Thuryl, you are not. You are only incoherent for the part of the members which doesn't really care to understand what you say. If they would want to understand it, they would probably try harder to understand it. All the times that Stareye started about magnetisme and all the physics stuff and such, I didn't really try to understand it (unless when it actually interested me), so naturally I didn't understand it.

And I agree with Tyran.

I hate (any) church, with a passion. This for the simple reason that they control people's minds and deprive them of knowing what is the real thing that gets this world rolling.

But I don't want to make this into an other of those religious arguments. Sorry for getting all diverted from the real subject.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
It is already a religious argument, sort of. There is really no argument against same-sex marriage that is not based in religion.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Drow:

It is already a religious argument, sort of. There is really no argument against same-sex marriage that is not based in religion.
That is why you can technically make a case for that in Australia which has a state religion, but here in the US, where we have separation of church and state, there should be no reason against same-sex marriages. Unfortunately there are too many fundies out there who are offended by what other people do with their own lives. I don't see what the big deal is. How does it hurt anyone if two people of the same sex get married, anyway?

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #23
Well, apart from the fact that it could get your old grand mother a heart attack, its for the president in office (Bush at the moment), a very wise thing to do, politically spoken. He'll have masses of people which agree with him and he will need that if he wants to stay in office.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by United States of Tyranica:

Personally, I think that marriage should be open to any two people who wish to partake of it. I defy you to find any place in the Bible that says that marriage is a religious thing. Go ahead and look. It isn't there. The idea that marriage is religious and a sacrament came out of the Catholic church wanting to control all parts of people's lives.
The torah shebaal peh give countless laws on the subject, but no, not in the Bible directly. Your last point is patently false.
quote:
Originally written by Tyran:

separation of church and state
I defy you to find any place in the constitution that says that there should be a seperation of church and state. Go ahead and look. It isn't there.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????

Pages