Civil Unions disallowed in ACT

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Civil Unions disallowed in ACT
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #175
quote:
Originally written by Maimonides:

quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

quote:
Originally written by Cairo Jim:

By the way Ash, I do know what I'm talking about.
No. You don't.

You are not Maimonides.

You're right. Who the heck is Maimon... oh, yourself.

...actually, my question stands. Who the heck are you? And why do you feel the need to inform me that I'm not you?

[ Tuesday, July 04, 2006 00:36: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #176
Maimonides holds no patent on terse negatives.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7171
Profile #177
quote:

You're right. Who the heck is Maimon... oh, yourself.

...actually, my question stands. Who the heck are you? And why do you feel the need to inform me that I'm not you?

Maimonides does not answer personal questions.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #178
Maimonides did not tell me who he is in a chat. I will not tell you what he did not tell me.

I am not currently laughing at all of you. :D

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #179
When did (didn't?) Maimonides start speaking in the third person?

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #180
Maimonides posts only terse negative statements, usually single sentences. This has been very effective: with only 40 posts, he or she has created more brand awareness than members with dozens of times as many. Occasionally I disagree with these declarations, but most of them seem sound enough. Even if they're wrong, at least they don't take long to read. So I don't care who Maimonides is: anyone so consistently concise is all right by me.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #181
I'm not impressed. It's a lot easier to oppose than to propose. The longest surviving politicians seem to be the ones who permanently spent their time picking holes in everyone else's arguments, without ever making any of their own.

Edit: and the post to Ash made absolutely no sense.

Edit 2 (following M's reply): I rest my case.

[ Tuesday, July 04, 2006 11:48: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 7171
Profile #182
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

I'm not impressed.
Maimonides is not here to entertain you.

quote:
Originally written by Drow:

Maimonides did not tell me who he is in a chat. I will not tell you what he did not tell me.
Maimonides did not tell you the whole truth.

[ Tuesday, July 04, 2006 13:09: Message edited by: Maimonides ]
Infiltrator
Member # 6652
Profile #183
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Maimonides posts only terse negative statements, usually single sentences. This has been very effective: with only 40 posts, he or she has created more brand awareness than members with dozens of times as many. Occasionally I disagree with these declarations, but most of them seem sound enough. Even if they're wrong, at least they don't take long to read. So I don't care who Maimonides is: anyone so consistently concise is all right by me.
Really? I must have missed all those posts. I remember several decent-lengthed posts by Maimonides in one topic or another, though.

--------------------
But I don't want to ride the elevator.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #184
Oh, this is fun... all we need to make this a real Spidweb debate again is for Ed to circumvent his ban again.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #185
This must be why people tend to post "It's an oldbie in disguise!" every time they meet an interesting newbie. :P

Dikiyoba.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #186
Oldbies could bequeath their accounts to newbies in disguise. Would we really notice?

[ Wednesday, July 05, 2006 00:52: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #187
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

newbies in disguise
Am I the only one who can't seem to form a coherent mental picture of this?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #188
And that's just how they want it.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #189
Speaking in third person by Maimo.... is derivative and unintersting. This unique perspective is done earlier, done better, done longer by Diki. Seems to Oh, the pain, the pain that it is copying without originality and thus ignored by Oh, the pain, the pain

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Warrior
Member # 7171
Profile #190
quote:
Originally written by Germany Wins...again...and again...:

Speaking in third person by Maimo.... is derivative and unintersting. This unique perspective is done earlier, done better, done longer by Diki. Seems to Oh, the pain, the pain that it is copying without originality and thus ignored by Oh, the pain, the pain
You have still not grasped that Maimonides is not here to entertain you.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #191
Neither is Maimo here to educate or enlighten.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Warrior
Member # 7171
Profile #192
It is not the responsibility of others to cure your ignorance.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #193
Lacking any interest in the titled conversation, I yearn for more debate on the effectiveness of legislating moral codes regarding homosexuality and domestic partnerships.

To contribute, it seems that gov't lacks the ability to deny the existence of homosexuality. Instead they have attempted to 1) remove the pleasure aspect, 2) isolate, and 3) embarass their electorate. Sad.

On another note, is "Maimo" the affectionate for Maimonides? When did that happen, and thank you all for serving as my entertainment. :P

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #194
It is perhaps worth pointing out that homosexual marriages or civil unions or whatever are not a hot potato in every country. Some places have had gay marriage for years, without any particular fuss. The Netherlands, for instance. How many others?

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #195
quote:
Originally written by Salmon Fishin':

To contribute, it seems that gov't lacks the ability to deny the existence of homosexuality. Instead they have attempted to 1) remove the pleasure aspect, 2) isolate, and 3) embarass their electorate. Sad.
I'm confused. We are still talking about the Australian government, right? I don't see any of those things happening.

From my point of view, the conflict is centered around the line between saying "we support and approve of this form of relationship" and "we don't consider it to be any of our business what sort of relationship you have". If legislation to grant homosexuals rights is effectively and clearly tailored to say the latter rather than the former, I can't see anyone getting terribly upset about it. Unfortunately, politics seems to be more about being deliberately argumentative so you make the news than trying to find a mutually acceptable solution.

Trinity: Canada, Belgium, and Spain are the others. On the flipside, Wikipedia tells me that 6 countries still have the death penalty for homosexuality. Make of that what you will.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #196
Denmark, Hungary, the UK, ...

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #197
quote:

From my point of view, the conflict is centered around the line between saying "we support and approve of this form of relationship" and "we don't consider it to be any of our business what sort of relationship you have". If legislation to grant homosexuals rights is effectively and clearly tailored to say the latter rather than the former, I can't see anyone getting terribly upset about it.
Have you actually been listening to the arguments of your own side at all? There are plenty of people who think it's the government's business to actively encourage monogamous heterosexual marriage at the expense of other forms of relationship, and who I am quite sure would oppose any attempt to remove the current privileged status of monogamous heterosexual marriage.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #198
Suprisingly enough, I have been listening to my side's arguments. And while that's a point of view that exists, I don't believe it's prevalent enough to gain any sort of traction without other reasons to go along with it.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #199
If you don't believe in gay marriage, by all means don't marry a man.

But please consider how you would feel if the government were to cock-block you. No matter what the justification, it would be a bitter thing.

Pages