What continent do you live on? (in which the voices take over)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What continent do you live on? (in which the voices take over)
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #0
What continent do you live on? I was going to do countries, but there are just too many.

[ Wednesday, June 07, 2006 01:37: Message edited by: saunders ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 61 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=cKfnupLBaCDI"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=cKfnupLBaCDI"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Ignorance Is bliss -Cypher (Matrix)
Don't think you can; know you can -Morpheus (Matrix)

sanity is overrated :)
Warrior
Member # 7002
Profile #1
The last time I checked, there were seven continents.
I live in North America, or more accuratly, the U.S.A.

--------------------
Polaris
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #2
Last I read, "Oceania" wasn't strictly a continent. Not that there's anything wrong with living on an island v. a continent.

Frankly, I don't understand why Europe and Asia count as two continents, either - they seem pretty joined to me.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Frankly, I don't understand why Europe and Asia count as two continents, either - they seem pretty joined to me.

Here in Italy we call them "Eurasia". (Europe+Asia)

They are two Continents instead of a big one because the cultural differences. I think.

Anyway, I live in Europe.

[ Friday, June 02, 2006 08:45: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #4
In before the 1984 jokes start.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
Just in time, TM.

Strong and Peaceful, Wise and Brave
Fighting the Fight for the whole world to save
We the people will ceaselessly strive
To keep our great revolution alive
Unfurl the banners, look at the screen
Never before has such glory been seen

Oceania, Oceania, Oceania, 'tis for thee.
Every Deed, Every Thought, 'tis for thee

(courtesy of the newspeak dictionary)

[ Friday, June 02, 2006 11:01: Message edited by: Man with a Thousand Names ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #6
Oceania is not a continent. Never has been never will. All islands belong to one continent or another.
Example: Jamaica, it belongs to North America.
Side Note: I would also like to state that in places Africa is attached to Asia and Europe. So couldn't it be Eurasica?

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by NotSoFriendlySpiderking:

Oceania is not a continent. Never has been never will. All islands belong to one continent or another.
Example: Jamaica, it belongs to North America.

Thank you.

As for the issue about the separation of Europe and Asia, I think the Middle East should be its own continent as well.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Side Note: I would also like to state that in places Africa is attached to Asia and Europe. So couldn't it be Eurasica?
No, three reasons:
Africa is not "attached" to Eurasia, it once was, but in the 1860s (if I recall correctly), the Suez Canal was built.
The more important reason is that Europe and Asia share one major continental plate, whereas Africa has its own.
Look at a map, a division between Europe and Asia is extremely arbitrary, the only geographic feature seperating them are the Ural and Caucasus mountains, I believe. Africa is a distinct landmass.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
This picture may be helpful. Note that Europe and Asia are indeed on one plate, while Africa is on another. Interestingly, the Arabian peninsula has a plate to itself as well.

IMAGE(http://geology.er.usgs.gov/eastern/plates.gif)

[ Friday, June 02, 2006 14:12: Message edited by: Man with a Thousand Names ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Calling the Suez Canal a division of landmasses makes about as much sense as saying the Americas were one continent until the Panama Canal divided them. You can say that, but I still think you're crazy for it. Continental plates (and very small land bridges that allow for canals) make a better case.

—Alorael, who can see keeping the politically useful continent definitions. Fuzzy borders aside, Europe and Asia and Africa are pretty different places.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #11
Canada

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #12
And a surprising 7% of people lives in Antarctica. :P

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #13
The map is nice except that it's flat so it distorts the continents.
Try posting a globe. :P

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Robinator, #034:

And a surprising 7% of people lives in Antarctica. :P
I hope this one didn't actually surprise anybody.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #15
North America.

And whenever I see Oceania on a world atlas or something, it is clumped in with Australia. But it's definately an entity not easily associated with any one other continent. Not that anyone has said they live there anyway.

--------------------
-ben4808
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #16
I'm greately sorry for intercepting such an interesting scientific discussion. But I really wonder if anyone studied geography ever. Where did you find 6 (or even 7!!!) continents? Ever heard of "parts of the world"? By geographical definition there were and are (and I hope will be, otherwise we'll have a really big cataclism) 5 [five] continents. America, Eurasia, Africa, Australia&Oceania and Antarctica. However, there are 7 [seven] parts of the world: Eurasia divided into 2 Europe and Asia and America divided into two: Northern and Southern.
To think that Jamaica is a part of Northern America is the same as to thing Egypt and Zimbabwe are the part of Great Britain.
Anyway, I think everybody understood what this poll was asking for? Big Brother is going to stalk us, no matter where we live :P

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
Jamaica shares a tectonic plate with North America. Zimbabwe and Egypt do not share a tectonic plate with Great Britain. And what on Earth, literally, is a "part of the world" supposed to be? I've heard of five political continents (America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia) and seven traditional continents (add Antarctica and divide the Americas) but both are arbitrary.

—Alorael, who concludes that everyone is really just a displaced Pangaean anyway.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #18
Australia.

Helpful map, Aran.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #19
Originally by Ephesos:

quote:
Originally written by Robinator, #034:

quote:
And a surprising 7% of people lives in Antarctica.
I hope this one didn't actually surprise anybody.
It's up to 9% now. If anything, it's surprising that the number is so low. The poll has eight continents and the Antarctica option has "Hey, you never know." Those are clearly two good reasons for absurdity.

Although if anyone wants serious results, I'm North America, not Antarctica.

Originally by Ford Prefect:

quote:
But I really wonder if anyone studied geography ever. Where did you find 6 (or even 7!!!) continents? Ever heard of "parts of the world"? By geographical definition there were and are (and I hope will be, otherwise we'll have a really big cataclism) 5 [five] continents. America, Eurasia, Africa, Australia&Oceania and Antarctica. However, there are 7 [seven] parts of the world: Eurasia divided into 2 Europe and Asia and America divided into two: Northern and Southern.
To think that Jamaica is a part of Northern America is the same as to thing Egypt and Zimbabwe are the part of Great Britain.

Either Dikiyoba is too tired for proper comprehension, or you seriously contradicted yourself. [Edit: And Alorael beat Dikiyoba to it. And with better comprehension.]

Edit 2: Typo.

[ Friday, June 02, 2006 19:30: Message edited by: Dmknoiygba ]
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #20
The distinction Ford Perfect gave (5 "continents" and 7 "parts of the world") is what the conventions are in Russia. (As taught in Geography classes in school.) I guess the conventions for what counts as a continent in other countries are different.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #21
Speaking of Russia, which continent/part of the world is it included in? Europe?

(I know, try Wikipedia. But I'm lazy.)

[ Friday, June 02, 2006 19:39: Message edited by: Sproing ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Sproing:

Speaking of Russia, which continent/part of the world is it included in? Europe?

(I know, try Wikipedia. But I'm lazy.)

Russia is usually considered a European country, because culturally it is a lot closer to Europe than to Asia. Geographically, most of Russian territory is in Asia, but most of the population lives in the European part.

Turkey is another country whose main territory lies in both Europe and Asia, but its European holdings are tiny. (Just large enough to qualify for EU membership. :) )

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

The distinction Ford Perfect gave (5 "continents" and 7 "parts of the world") is what the conventions are in Russia. (As taught in Geography classes in school.) I guess the conventions for what counts as a continent in other countries are different.
May be "a part of the world" is a wrong statement. But that is literally how "traditional continents" are called in Russian, I guess. :)
Anyway it is 5:7 count. Not 6:7, right?
Russia is on Euarasian "political" and on two: Europe and Asia "traditional" continents.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #24
I'll go with North America.

With regard to the maps, all maps distort as you are putting a curved surface on a flat form. The question is how to minimize the distortion and what to distort.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."

Pages