What continent do you live on? (in which the voices take over)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What continent do you live on? (in which the voices take over)
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #25
Antarctica as of September!

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #26
Most Oregonians believe that they live so far from the Federal capital that it may as well be the South Pole. Thusly, independent of Dmknoiygba, I admitted to being a resident of Antartica.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Warrior
Member # 6401
Profile #27
Wow, I didn't know that Iceland lies over two different plates. Makes sense when I think about it.

--------------------
I think this is really wonderful.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6403
Profile #28
Asia, or, more accurately, the Arabian Plate.

--------------------
??? ??????
???? ?????
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #29
Aussie. Has anyone else hear something ridiculous that Australia is both island and continent? There's been a couple idiots tell me this and a few others that said it's impossible.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #30
I live in Australia, and I'm disappointed that there was no Westeros option.

[ Sunday, June 04, 2006 01:22: Message edited by: Dallerdin with a custom moniker. ]

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Cairo Jim:

Aussie. Has anyone else hear something ridiculous that Australia is both island and continent? There's been a couple idiots tell me this and a few others that said it's impossible.
Well, in the sense of being a piece of land surrounded by water, of course it's an island, but so are all the other continents.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #32
There is quite a difference between an island and a continent-pretty much area of land. Australia is a lot smaller than every other continent but it's larger than any island, so it's in between?

[ Sunday, June 04, 2006 03:34: Message edited by: Cairo Jim ]

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #33
Australia is thus too small to be a continent but to big to be an island, and hence does not exist.
I have long suspected that somewhere so nice was a figment of the imagination, and for this reason will have to explain to my beloved he really can't emigrate there.

--------------------
I am a mater of time and how .

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #34
There are
No sunsets in Austraaaaallllliiiaaaa

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #35
Again, geologically speaking, a good definition for a continent is a landmass with its own plate. Australia isn't quite alone on its plate, but the small piece of Asia notwithstanding it's the major landmass and therefore deserves continental plate tectonic status.

—Alorael, who wonders if non-continental landmasses are incontinent. Or is that more properly the term for a region of a subdivided continent?
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #36
Austrailia exists on the basis that Ash lives there. :P

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by BainIhrno:

Austrailia exists on the basis that Ash lives there. :P
And on what basis do I exist? :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #38
On the basis that you are posting, have a work email address (which works and that I have mailed to), and the fact that you're doing stuff. :P

[ Sunday, June 04, 2006 14:34: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #39
On what basis do we exist at all?

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #40
On the basis of positive Google results.

And if you still aren't convinced, then you are a figment of Dikiyoba's imagination and not the other way around. :P
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #41
Since we all are the different personalities of one schizophrenic, who is being a fan of spiderweb games and buys them everytime another one personality appear, we do exist. We can see the proof everytime we look into the mirror. So why arguing? :P

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #42
quote:
Last I read, "Oceania" wasn't strictly a continent.
quote:
geologically speaking, a good definition for a continent is a landmass with its own plate
I don't see how this really matters. The purpose of the poll was to see how many places have members on these forums, how far spread the members are, and which areas contain the most members. There's no reason to get technical. This is what my counseler calls "over-analyzation parylization," where you're so concentrated on the details you miss the message. Also, I hope I didn't offend anyone from Antarctica with the comment in the poll. I thought only the people studying it resided there. Would one of you care to clarify that for me? I'm curious.

--------------------
Ignorance Is bliss -Cypher (Matrix)
Don't think you can; know you can -Morpheus (Matrix)

sanity is overrated :)
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #43
quote:
Since we all are the different personalities of one schizophrenic, who is being a fan of spiderweb games and buys them everytime another one personality appear, we do exist. We can see the proof everytime we look into the mirror. So why arguing? :P
Because maybe some of us can't afford them all? :P

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #44
quote:
Originally written by The_Other_Guy:

This is what my counseler calls "over-analyzation parylization," where you're so concentrated on the details you miss the message.
Is English your counsellor's second language? "Analysis paralysis" is the snappier and more typical form of the phrase.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #45
Originally by The_Other_Guy:

quote:
Also, I hope I didn't offend anyone from Antarctica with the comment in the poll. I thought only the people studying it resided there. Would one of you care to clarify that for me? I'm curious.
It was a joke.

Also, schizophrenia is not multiple personalities. Multiple personalities is its own disorder.

Dikiyoba.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #46
quote:
Originally written by Dxtrgrtba:

Also, schizophrenia is not multiple personalities. Multiple personalities is its own disorder.
Dikiyoba.

I didn't say it is the same thing, did I? Anyway,
quote:
It was a joke.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Ford Prefect:

Since we all are the different personalities of one schizophrenic
quote:
Originally written by Ford Prefect:

quote:
Originally written by Dxtrgrtba:

Dikiyoba.

I didn't say it is the same thing, did I?
You meant that we're hearing voices and switching personalities, apparently.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #48
Maybe his voices have multiple personalities.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #49
Multiple personalities are internal. We're all different voices heard by one schizophrenic externally, obviously. Or maybe the multiple personalities make it obvious that we have multiple personality disorder, but we also have schizophrenia and that needed to be explicitly stated.

While it's apparently accepted, I think conversational drift is a better term for what happened here. Analysis paralysis in its slightly more technical application has to do with the waste of resources on examination instead of production. Conversationally, the same could apply if there were a point to the discussion and it got lost in side discussions. There is, however, no real point to the discussion here.

—Alorael, who wouldn't even say that the original census was harmed by continent definitions. It's still perfectly clear what the votes mean and it's quite easy to vote.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages