Viva Italia !!!!!!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Viva Italia !!!!!!!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #0
No, not the stupid Dan Brown book/movie.

No, not some new religion question. (Yes Virginia, there is religion.)

Soccer. Football. Futbol. World Cup 2006.

In 16 days (+/-) it begins with Germany playing Costa Rica, and ends a month later with Argentina beating the Czech Republic 1-0.

Anyone else interested in this event, or in placing their best guess for final game and score?

[ Sunday, July 09, 2006 16:29: Message edited by: Salmon Fishin' ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #1
Germany over Brazil 3-1. Odds for this?? Likely not great but one can drean can't one?

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #2
I think the Aussies will do well, this year.

England's more than likely to go and make the quarters or semis again and then die hideously through some controversy that I'll have to hear people blather on about for the next three thousand years.

Or Euro 2008.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #3
Well, ESPN will constantly air assurances of the US's ascendancy, with the insistence that this year will end the futility and be America's coming-out party. The good ole Yanks will then proceed to dissapoint, and I will cease to care.

(After all, I don't know how to appreciate soccer, nor am I familiar with any players or anything like that.)
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #4
I suppose I'll jump on the bandwagon if the American team makes any noise, but for now its all about the Heat.

On a different note, did anyone else see the interview on ESPN about the stock market falling whenever countries' soccer teams lose? It was pretty interesting, evidently lots of people in England get depressed and sell their stocks whenever team England loses, resulting in a pretty significant drop in prices.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #5
The true Holy Grail is the Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup. It is heresy to speak of any other while it is being contested for.

--------------------
Roli! Roli! Roli!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

The true Holy Grail is the Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup. It is heresy to speak of any other while it is being contested for.

--------------------
Roli! Roli! Roli!

I am familiar with the concept of Canadians operating in a different sports-time continuum. Until ice-soccer becomes an event, I'm not sure there is an available training scenario for a Canadian soccer squad. Ce la vie.

--------------------
quote:

Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Indifferent Salmon:

quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

--------------------
Roli! Roli! Roli!

I am familiar with the concept of Canadians operating in a different sports-time continuum. Until ice-soccer becomes an event, I'm not sure there is an available training scenario for a Canadian soccer squad. Ce la vie.

INDOOR SOCCER. It's basically hockey with a ball. I've said before, if you want to play real soccer it has to be in a gym. For outdoor soccer I would make the field smaller, have less players and decrease the size of the net. [ Put boards in, take out the grass, and put in ice. lol just kidding]

Oh and yes! Roli, Roli! I bet he's happy to be out of Mini.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #8
quote:

...Anyone else interested in this event, or in placing their best guess for final game and score?
Not really. But I am sure about a thing. Italy won't win. :o

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #9
Spain, despite having one of the best teams on paper, will sell themselves short again, and won't even reach the second round.

England will get to the quarters, and we'll all cry and mope, because we think we're great. We aren't. Beckham is second-rate, Rooney is only good because of the hype, and Gerrard is burnt out.

Germany and Italy have a good chance to get far, and the advantage of being at home is a huge boost for the Germans. But, seriously, the finals? I don't see it.

My guess is Argentina vs Brazil. No idea of score, although it'd be a good game.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #10
Scotland ftw!

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #11
Ah, soccer. The only sport Aussies suck at.

We shall do well, I hope. I highly doubt a win, but one can hope we will make it past the first round (Croatia, Japan, Brazil).

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #12
I confess ignorance. Do we need to beat Brazil to get through the first round? If so, man, we're sunk.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Apprentice
Member # 3812
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Springer Bell:

Ah, soccer. The only sport Aussies suck at.

We shall do well, I hope. I highly doubt a win, but one can hope we will make it past the first round (Croatia, Japan, Brazil).

Well, you do have Guus "the Wizard of Oz" Hiddink selecting the players, that may make a difference. They may indeed survive the first round.

Argentina vs Brazil? Don't think so, the Argentinians(?) tend to have at least one bad match in each tournament and have left out some important players (think Veron). Anyway, for some reason `Spanish`-speaking countries tend to suck at tournaments (think Spain).

Surely, I would like the Netherlands to win, but my hopes are not high. The lack of a goalgetter will probably turn out to be problematic.

Germany? Given that hopes and spirits are low, there can only be a positive surprise. My bet? Ballack will not survive the first match against Costa Rica, and everything crumbles afterwards.

Brazil is having the best players, and if they manage to build a team with those they are unbeatable. But too many high-profile players can be hazardous.

My bet: France-Brazil 2-1
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

I confess ignorance. Do we need to beat Brazil to get through the first round? If so, man, we're sunk.
The top two (or is it three?) teams from each pool make it through to the next round.

Brazil won the World Cup in '02, so it is highly likely they will make it through. We have no chance of beating Brazil, and it will be hard to beat Japan or Croatia.

If we don't beat them, we are sunk.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #15
On the bright side of things, at least Australia was good enough to make it into the World Cup competition. Many didn't.

--------------------
quote:

Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #16
For the first time in, like, twenty years. :P

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #17
The Ivory Coast is in, for the first time ever. Other than the Olympics, which have few team activities, the World Cup is one of the few positive activities which ties the world together. It's nice to see.

--------------------
quote:

Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #18
quote:

The Ivory Coast is in, for the first time ever. Other than the Olympics, which have few team activities, the World Cup is one of the few positive activities which ties the world together. It's nice to see.
Is that commercial about the warring factions in the IC making peace because of the World Cup really true?

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #19
"Television wouldn't lie to me." - Homer J Simpson

--------------------
quote:

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #20
quote:
There was shock and confusion, new-found elation and much celebration as Togo, Angola, Ivory Coast and Ghana all qualified for the World Cup Finals for the first time ever late last year.
quote:
Complacency, overconfidence and the reluctance of their leading European players to forsake club commitments for their countries, allied with the fierce determination of the rising minnows, led to the traditional superpowers being somewhat embarrassed.
More here on how African nations managed to qualify, and not qualify, for the Cup.

--------------------
quote:

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #21
My prediction? The Czechs take it all and Italy doesn't make it out of the group stage.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #22
At least the Aussies are going to Germany after beating Greece or whoever they were playing. I don't really follow soccer that much but it is nice when your country is doing well.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #23
Greece was a friendly match. It didn't actually count for anything.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #24
Oh, that's a little bit disappointing then. I thought it was sort of like a qualifying match or an actual legit match or something like that.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.

Pages