Viva Italia !!!!!!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Viva Italia !!!!!!!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #175
quote:
Originally written by Salmon Fishin':

It's a shame you didn't edit this post before I found it. Congrats to your team, they played decent ball.

Thanks. I won't edit the post, anyway. My prevision are always wrong, so it don't matter much. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #176
quote:
Germany was a heck of a lot closer, and do you see me complaining?

I complained. Loudly. You want video?

Onyhoo, the game was a good one, France took it to Italy for the most part and desrved better, I pity that "monster" Zidane and hope he doesn't get remembered for the head thing - he's too great a player over his career but what a way to end it.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #177
quote:
Originally written by Oh, the pain, the pain:

I complained. Loudly. You want video?

Ok, let me see it! :P

quote:

I pity that "monster" Zidane and hope he doesn't get remembered for the head thing - he's too great a player over his career but what a way to end it.
Yeah, I hope so. Still, there are many points in this thing that need to be more clear. I'm starting to think that Zidane did it because he wanted to be changed before and the coach refuses. But I'm not sure - maybe it was just and explosion of madness.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #178
quote:
I'm starting to think that Zidane did it because he wanted to be changed before and the coach refuses. But I'm not sure - maybe it was just and explosion of madness.

Zidane has lost it on the pich before. In fact, the term "monster" is one he has used to describe himself to his family. I think it comes in part from the passion he approaches the game with. I certainly will remember him for his greatness - like this tourney where he willed France to the finals. He has been sensational and inspirational for too long to be permanently tarnished by this.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

BANNED
Member # 2064
Profile #179
Zidane should be awarded the cup, screw Italy. ...

[ Monday, July 10, 2006 07:22: Message edited by: Yours Sincerely, The Boogyman. ]

--------------------
I am an idiot.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #180
I heard a rumor that the headbutt was Zidane's response to a racial slur from Materazzi. Of course, this was only according to teammates of Zidane's, but it's a possible explanation...

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #181
According to a local newspaper, Materattzi called him a terrorist, due to his family heritage.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #182
Here we don't know still nothing. It seems not very important for the local newspapers... :rolleyes:

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #183
Awesomeness ^ 100, sorry if you've all seen it before.

I was thinking "someone should make this an internet meme/ytmnd" when I saw the clip, but apparently that idea was old already.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #184
Yep.

Il love that song, Moskau...

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #185
quote:
According to a local newspaper, Materattzi called him a terrorist, due to his family heritage.

Zidane himself won't say what happened but did allude that it was something terrible that was said.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #186
quote:
An Italian lip-reader last night claimed to have deciphered the words Marco Materazzi said to Zinédine Zidane that provoked the French captain into butting him in the chest during Sunday's World Cup final, the great midfielder's final act before a red card ended his career in top-level football.

According to the BBC, Materazzi said, "I wish an ugly death to you and all your family," and then told Zidane to "go **** yourself".

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #187
**** = ?

EDIT: If the answer break the CoC, use PM.

[ Tuesday, July 11, 2006 08:18: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #188
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

**** = ?

EDIT: If the answer break the CoC, use PM.

**** in this context means that Zidane was meant to satisfy his carnal desires.

And also, Zidane might be let off a little if you consider that he discovered his mother was seriously ill on the day of the Final...

[ Tuesday, July 11, 2006 08:38: Message edited by: Nikki xx ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #189
Really, I find the most disturbing thing about this affair to be the general reaction to it- from the media as well as the vast majority of soccer fans. The incident of the headbutting and its aftermath came up just as I was beginning to sense a growing liking within me for this game. I'd always found soccer crushingly boring, at least compared to my favorite sports: basketball, baseball, football, and tennis. So little scoring, so much running from end to end, so little excitement generated for me, a standard American sports fan.

But, you know, I was just beginning to gain an appreciation for the artistry of some of the shots and the subtle drama of the game, I watched the headbutt and the controversy it generated. And then, clearly, I saw what was wrong with this game, what makes it not truly worth watching.

Really, the biggest problem with soccer is that it's a game for goddamn fruitcakes. The reaction to the head-butting made that clear. All this whining about the crushing blow Zidane had made to the game and his own reputation. And I thought: how many times have I seen a brawl break out in a baskeball, basketball, football, or hockey game? Tons, and no one really bothered to whine and complain about the degeneration of the sport and the shame incurred by the players involved.

Physical contact is a part of sport. So is emotion, and, as a result, so is violence. Zidane's headbutt was not a calculated attempt to cause injury to the Italian player. It was simply an expression of anger in an emotionally charged game. By all means, it was proper that he should have been given the red card. But it is not proper that he should receive the lambasting he has suffered from the press and fans.

The endless decrying of the incident is yet another reason why soccer will never reach the mainstream popularity in America that it has in many other countries. The rest of you can continue to watch your stylish, graceful, emotionally vacant game, but I'll stick to my basketball, thank you.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #190
Yes basketball. Thuggery incorporated. Where not only do the players fight with each other they climb into the stands to attack the paying customers, those who provide them with their paychecks.

Where gangsta is alive and well as the players surround themselves with their posse, and freely associate with the criminal element. Perhaps that is why basketball is marginalized in the rest of the world. Thank-you America for another corporate product devoid of artistry and elegance.

[ Tuesday, July 11, 2006 11:34: Message edited by: Oh, the pain, the pain ]

--------------------

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #191
Nobody's upset over Zidane headbutting a guy just because he headbutted a guy. The problem is that he headbutted a guy in a sport where that is an incredibly dumb thing to do, just because those are the rules. Imagine Michael Jordan (or whoever has taken his spot since I stopped following the NBA) trailing in game 7 by one point with a second left to play, and he just grabs the ball and travels the length of the court. In American football people grab the ball and run with it all the time, but basketball people would freak. Not because he ran with a ball: because he threw away the big game idiotically.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #192
Uhm... In my humble opinion, I'm surprised that a player with so much experience like Zidane did a thing like this. These silly thing are for kids.

There were always provocations, in every sports. The difference between a "oldbie" and a "newbie" is how you react. I mean, how you repress your anger.

Dont Fall In The Dark Side!

[ Tuesday, July 11, 2006 13:01: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #193
An Australian Rules player just got a two match ban for full-on punching another player in the gonads. And he's contesting it.

Yeah, soccer is soft. :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #194
quote:

Yes basketball. Thuggery incorporated. Where not only do the players fight with each other they climb into the stands to attack the paying customers, those who provide them with their paychecks.

Where gangsta is alive and well as the players surround themselves with their posse, and freely associate with the criminal element. Perhaps that is why basketball is marginalized in the rest of the world. Thank-you America for another corporate product devoid of artistry and elegance.

Ahhhhh soccer, the sport where fans chant racial slurs at their own star players, so often that said players threaten to leave the field. Thank you rest of world.

The fact is all sports have their low moments. There are players in soccer that act like thugs just as there are Ron Artests in America. There are fans for both soccer and American sports that get rowdy and behave inappropriately. There are racists in all sports. You can't categorize a sport by one incident, or one person or group.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Apprentice
Member # 7297
Profile #195
Personally, I think that the reason that there is so much hype over this incident is because it involved Zidane, one of the greatest footballer's of all time and it was the last international game of his career.

As for what Materazzi said, I heard that Zidane or his agent would be giving a public explanation in the next few days.

[ Tuesday, July 11, 2006 19:48: Message edited by: Lethal_Chupacabra ]

--------------------
I Am Ironman...
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #196
quote:
Originally written by Lazarus.:

quote:

Ahhhhh soccer, the sport where fans chant racial slurs at their own star players, so often that said players threaten to leave the field. Thank you rest of world.

The fact is all sports have their low moments. There are players in soccer that act like thugs just as there are Ron Artests in America. There are fans for both soccer and American sports that get rowdy and behave inappropriately. There are racists in all sports. You can't categorize a sport by one incident, or one person or group.

Huh. I find it more enjoyable when all hell breaks loose is a match. Hockey was great until they took away the fighting. Baseball brawls, chair throwing in basketball, panty raids in football. They are all staples of my American diet of sports, sports trivia, and old sports. Don't marginalize them by saying they are inappropriate, accept that that is what the world is about.

People are just not nice. It ain't in us. If that wasn't the case, you wouldn't find all the current "problems" in the world. It's just life, snafu.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #197
quote:

Agreed. That was the point of my comment, and the sarcastic tone becomes noticable when I audible it. Although I enjoyed the world cup, b-ball is more meaningful to me.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #198
quote:
Originally written by Salmon Fishin':

Huh. I find it more enjoyable when all hell breaks loose is a match. Hockey was great until they took away the fighting. Baseball brawls, chair throwing in basketball, panty raids in football. They are all staples of my American diet of sports, sports trivia, and old sports. Don't marginalize them by saying they are inappropriate, accept that that is what the world is about.
The point wasn't to complain that sports are to violent, or players and fans are all miscreants. I was trying to say that these things exist in all sports, so singling one out and labeling it "thuggish" or "rowdy" isn't very accurate.

I don't have a problem with players being emotional and caring enough about the game to occasionally scrap with other players (admittedly this is the only reason I'd go to a hockey game). I don't have a problem with baseball managers throwing tantrums (pretty funny). It really doesn't become a problem until riots break out in the streets or players go into the stands and start slugging fans.

[ Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:02: Message edited by: Lazarus. ]

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #199
quote:
Originally written by Stugri-La:

Really, I find the most disturbing thing about this affair to be the general reaction to it- from the media as well as the vast majority of soccer fans. The incident of the headbutting and its aftermath came up just as I was beginning to sense a growing liking within me for this game. I'd always found soccer crushingly boring, at least compared to my favorite sports: basketball, baseball, football, and tennis. So little scoring, so much running from end to end, so little excitement generated for me, a standard American sports fan.

But, you know, I was just beginning to gain an appreciation for the artistry of some of the shots and the subtle drama of the game, I watched the headbutt and the controversy it generated. And then, clearly, I saw what was wrong with this game, what makes it not truly worth watching.

Really, the biggest problem with soccer is that it's a game for goddamn fruitcakes. The reaction to the head-butting made that clear. All this whining about the crushing blow Zidane had made to the game and his own reputation. And I thought: how many times have I seen a brawl break out in a baskeball, basketball, football, or hockey game? Tons, and no one really bothered to whine and complain about the degeneration of the sport and the shame incurred by the players involved.

Physical contact is a part of sport. So is emotion, and, as a result, so is violence. Zidane's headbutt was not a calculated attempt to cause injury to the Italian player. It was simply an expression of anger in an emotionally charged game. By all means, it was proper that he should have been given the red card. But it is not proper that he should receive the lambasting he has suffered from the press and fans.

The endless decrying of the incident is yet another reason why soccer will never reach the mainstream popularity in America that it has in many other countries. The rest of you can continue to watch your stylish, graceful, emotionally vacant game, but I'll stick to my basketball, thank you.

As a fan of violent fouls, let me tell you - that was a glorious moment for me. For a brief moment, I was interested in soccer, because one man had headbutted another in the solar plexus. I have seen compilation clips of Zidane and appreciate his artistry on the field, but the average game involves maybe one or two of those moments of sublime genius stretched out over too much time to bother. Just point me to the violent fouls and we're all good.

Oh, and part of the reason Zidane got such a negative reaction: he's a magnificent player and that was to be his last game any which way (he announced an intention to retire). It's also widely perceived (to whatever degree of accuracy) that his removing himself in such a fashion lost France the cup.

When one of the best players in the game's career ends with a violent foul (and a damn fine violent foul), there's going to be noise made. It's unfortunate that the situation prevented a wider appreciation of what a fine foul it was.

Pages