Viva Italia !!!!!!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Viva Italia !!!!!!!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

My prediction? The Czechs take it all and Italy doesn't make it out of the group stage.
You may have a point with Italy... but the Czechs?

What have you been drinking today?

[ Tuesday, May 30, 2006 03:18: Message edited by: Last Flowers xx ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #26
Its all well and good to look at this years World Cup but more important events are on the horizon...such as FIFA U-20 World Cup in 2007.

Why is it more important you may ask. Well, for one, it is being held in Canada. For two, Canada will participate and for three, Canada has a legitimate team. In 2003 we lost int he quarterfinals to Spain (winner of the silver)and in May we beat Brazil 2:1).

Red and White forever.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #27
FYI - The host country is always permitted to play in the tournaments.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #28
Salmon, I know. It's not so much that Canada is playing, its that we have a legitimate team. We would have qualified wherever it was played.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #29
Is this the first time Australia has been in this thing? If so I don't think we are going to make it to far. What a shame. I don't even watch soccer anyways, and who was the idiot that decided to call it football over here anyways, especially when the Stat of Origin is on?

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Cairo Jim:

Is this the first time Australia has been in this thing?
No. We made it back in 1980-something.

quote:
...who was the idiot that decided to call it football over here anyways, especially when the Stat of Origin is on?
State of Origin is rugby. :P

Oh, and Harry Kewell may be fit to play against Japan in the opener, which is good news for Australia.

[ Thursday, June 01, 2006 22:07: Message edited by: Sproing ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Sproing:

[quote=Cairo Jim]
[qb]Is this the first time Australia has been in this thing?

No. We made it back in 1980-something.

quote:
...who was the idiot that decided to call it football over here anyways, especially when the Stat of Origin is on?
State of Origin is rugby. :P

QB][/quote]State of Origin=Rugby League(there's two codes of Rugby) which then equals football. Codes of football= Rugby league, R Union, AFL and Gridiron.

It was until very recently I heard of idiots calling soccer football and deciding to change it to that in this country.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #32
Yea, there are too many different footballs here anyway.

(And I knew about the rugby stuff. I was just making a joke that it isn't called football by many people in Victoria. :P )

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #33
Two days away...

Magic 8-ball says "Germany over Costa Rica 4:1" :D

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #34
Let's not get all crazy with posting in this thread now. Remember that soccer/futbol is a game of patience, and the Cup lasts a solid month, and that this thread will remain open for comment and commentary the whole time. No need to beat the rush. Really.

Will US make it to the round of 16? I think not, they face too large of a challenge from the Group of Death. Certainly they will win 1 game, maybe get a tie, but they will lose the third game, giving them 3 points (Opponents getting 2,3,4 points) but this no big goal scorers they will lose the tiebreaker (Total goals scored) Your thoughts?

--------------------
quote:

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #35
I can see the US beating Ghana and tying Italy pretty easily. It all hinges on the Czech Republic game. A tie in that game virtually assures them advancement.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #36
What will be interesting is to see how Italy responds to all the controversy and scandal with Juventus and AC Milan. For those not aware, it involves allegations of price fixing and referee arrangements and those implicated include thier captain, Fabio Cannavaro, their goalkeeper, Gianluigi Buffon and theior coach, Marcello Lippi.

In addition, the Azurri are battling injuries to several key players. I wouldn't be surprised if they fail to advance past the first round.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #37
I have the feeling Italy won't make it past the first round. They always seem to start slow and his group is not one that will be forgiving.

Check this link... The FIFA World Cup: And women thought we couldn’t empathize…

:D

[ Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:43: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #38
Germany wins 4-2

Woo hoo. (Sorry Aran, but it wasn't that unexpected or exciting)

Ecuador upsets Poland 2-0 !!!!!!! (Sorry Kel)

I was watching Univision tonight and it showed the President of Ecuador talking about the great victory in Europe. Apparently they will now celebrate for 1 megasecond.

I'll get up at 6 tomorrow to watch that game, unfortunately I missed todays games and have to take a plane trip tomorrow, so will miss most of that as well. Bah.

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllll!!!!!
Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllll!!!!
Goooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!

:)

--------------------
quote:

Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #39
New Zealand got into the world cup once. That was what, 82? We got into the first round and then proceeded to prove that it was sheer luck that we could manage to kick the ball, let alone win games. Soccer isn't really even talked about here. The only time I ever talk about it is with european foreign exchange students. Actually I was talking about it with them last night. All I know is I woke up in a house 10km away from my car and had to walk all the way back to it. Uh yea. Soccer and all that.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #40
I saw all of the Germany-Costa Rica game, and Lahm and Frings had ridiculous goals. Klose is on his way to the Golden Boot, and Wanchope was the only player on Costa Rica providing any offense.

I then missed the entire Ecuador-Poland game and will miss all six of this weekend's games. :'(

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #41
I have a schedule with an unfortunate misprint in the quarter-final matchups, but my reading of it seems to show that groups A through D will only meet groups E through G in the final, and that it is possible for a team to meet the other one from its group again in the semi-final. Is this true? If so, it seems to make which group you are in really important. How does that get decided?

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Originally written by Germany Wins:

What will be interesting is to see how Italy responds to all the controversy and scandal with Juventus and AC Milan. For those not aware, it involves allegations of price fixing and referee arrangements and those implicated include thier captain, Fabio Cannavaro, their goalkeeper, Gianluigi Buffon and theior coach, Marcello Lippi.

In addition, the Azurri are battling injuries to several key players. I wouldn't be surprised if they fail to advance past the first round.

Yeah, the situation is pretty bad. :(

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #43
England 1-0 Paraguay.

England played reasonably well in the first half, but silly tackles meant that Gerrard got a yellow. The second half wasn't very good at all. Not only did we let the game slide away from us, as usual, but Erikson showed us that he still knows how to make bad substitutions - bringing Owen off was a terrible move tactically.

The team looks fitter, and we do have 3 points n the bag, but Trinidad and Tobago and Sweden are looking slightly more threatening.

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #44
I only watched the 2nd half, due to prior committments with sleep. Paraguay looked strong coming out, but after 25-30 minutes was tired and England controlled the ball. Tall Crouch (my memory said that was a Rowling name, so I replaced with Cole) seems to be a liability, and Beckham was typical Beckham. All hype. I wanna see the kid play.

SoT: Yes, the drawing in December for grouping is very important and can decide the fate of mediocre teams before the first touch. It is unfortunate, but it's the system that has been played for a while now. Conceivably you could have Czech, England, Brazil, and Argentina all in the same group, but the guys doing the drawing would have a rather shortened lifespan.

Although ... that does sound like a good show.

Edited... See below

[ Saturday, June 10, 2006 07:51: Message edited by: Freakin' Salmon ]

--------------------
quote:

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #45
Originally written by Freakin' Salmon:
quote:
Tall Cole seems to be a liability...
You mean Crouch? The tall, lanky one? He is.

And, whilst the idea of

quote:
Czech, England, Brazil, and Argentina all in the same group
sounds amazing, for that to happen, three of them would have to be ranked out of the top 8 in the world.

--------------------
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #46
quote:
Trinidad and Tobago and Sweden are looking slightly more threatening.
Trinidad and Tobago shouldn't be a problem - looking at the 0-0 score so far of their match against Sweden it doesn't seem as if they play an aggressive game. Sweden is more of a worry - they've beaten England 4-2 in a recent world cup.

quote:
Beckham was typical Beckham. All hype. I wanna see the kid play.
Actually, I thought Beckham didn't do too badly in the first half (he did after all cause the own goal that put England in the lead). In the second half he still did what he was meant to do, but this time there was no Michael Owen to pass to.

I agree that Crouch didn't do much (and he can't take penalties) - he should be replaced.

--------------------
"Build a man a fire, and he´ll be warm for a day; set a man on fire, and he´ll be warm for the rest of his life."
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #47
TnT, at 2000-1 odds of winning the Cup, just tied Sweden with only 10 men. Sweden is at 44-1 odds.

How does that make TnT not threatening? They are clearly a team with the heart and drive, which is exactly what it takes to win soccer games. Sweden has two tough matches coming up, and they must beat Paraguay or England to advance. It will be the game v Paraguay if they want to go on. Given their level of frustration and anger at losing a game they assumed would be won, I hope they drop out in the first cut. Trinadad & Tobago is a much more exciting team to watch.

--------------------
quote:

Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #48
I just can't wait to see the best goals at the end of the Cup.

(Oh, and good luck to Australia tomorrow. :) )

--------------------
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #49
Soccer. Of all the footballs, it gets called the name the least and deserves it the most.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.

Pages