Viva Italia !!!!!!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Viva Italia !!!!!!!
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #100
quote:
God could have injured his knee for all I care. The point remains that there are numerous other outstanding players on the pitch.

But England is rather thin with strikers. Here's hoping Walcott scores a goal, breaking Pele's record.

Nevertheless, Equador has a solid team and is playing well. IT will be a good game I think, and an "upset" won't surprise many.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #101
quote:
Originally written by Ayami xx:

I'll eat my hat if Ecuador win. And film it for you guys.
You realize that we're going to have to hold you to that promise, right?

(Go Ghana!)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #102
quote:
Originally written by Ayami xx:

quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

Ecuador will take them. The Germany game didn't mean anything.
I'll eat my hat if Ecuador win. And film it for you guys.

F Brazil, Ecuador MUST win.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #103
Stage 2 - The Round of Sixteen.

Two matches a day, single elimination, top team in one group plays second seed in another group.

Day 1 - Germany v Sweden (2-0)
........Argentina v Mexico (2-1, OT)
Day 2 - England v Ecuador (1-0)
........Portugal v Dutch (1-0, referee interference)
Day 3 - Italia v Australia (1-0)
........Suise v Ukraine (3-0,PK)
Day 4 - Brasil v Ghana (3-0, boooo)
........Espana v France (3-0, boooo)

The next stage pits the survivors of each day against each other (ie. perhaps Germany v Argentina), and then the Day 1 survivor versus the Day 3 survivor. Excepting the Dutch, the first eight teams look tough. The second eight, not so much. I'll change my prediction to Argentina beats Italia 3-1.

Stage 3 Matchups (Games begin 6/30/06)
Day 1 - Germany v Argentina
Day 2 - England v Portugal
Day 3 - Italia v Ukraine
Day 4 - Brasil v France
:)

[ Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:50: Message edited by: Salmon Fishin' ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #104
quote:
Originally written by Freakin' Salmon:

Stage 2 - The Round of Sixteen.

Two matches a day, single elimination, top team in one group plays second seed in another group.

Day 1 - Germany v Sweden (2-0)
........Argentina v Mexico (2-1, OT)
Day 2 - England v Ecuador
........Portugal v Dutch
Day 3 - Italia v Australia
........Suise v Ukraine
Day 4 - Brasil v Ghana
........Espana v France

The next stage pits the survivors of each day against each other (ie. perhaps Germany v Argentina), and then the Day 1 survivor versus the Day 2 survivor. Excepting the Dutch, the first eight teams look tough. The second eight, not so much. I'll change my prediction to Argentina beats Italia 3-1.

:)

Too late to tip those first matches, but my predictions for the round of 16 are:

Ecuador to defeat England
Portugal over Netherlands
Australia will beat Italy (of course :D )
Ukraine will be too good for the Swiss
Brazil will (unfortunately) end the competition for Ghana. I'll be happy if I'm wrong, though!
Spain will overwhelm the lackluster French side.

And just for fun, the Quarterfinals results if all goes to plan:

Germany to edge out Argentina in a beauty.
Australia will take down Ukraine. ( :D )
Portugal to put Ecuador in their place.
Spain to give the underperforming Brazil a rude shock.

And for the semifinals:

Germany will bring Australia's journey to an end ( :( )
Spain to knock out their Portugese neighbours.

Meaning Germany vs Spain in the Final, with the home team winning. And for third place, Australia misses out to Portugal. ( :( )

Let's see if I get a single one of those predictions right. :P

[ Saturday, June 24, 2006 23:47: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #105
You didn't do well on the England side, which is unfortunate. The Portugal game should be a re-match, as the referee was way too involved in the game. Not only did he double-yellow players on questionable calls, but he missed obvious hand-balls and failed to award penalties when they were deserved.

When American broadcasters understand and comment upon bad officiating, you know it is bad. The Dutch played well, but Portugal was the better side. It is a shame that two of their players will miss at least one match because of the bad calls. Also, it seems FIFA is awarding extra suspension days for certain fouls. The fellow that elbowed McBride (USA) and gave hime a bloody forehead will have to sit out four games. So, if that team makes it to the final game, then he can play again.

Sadly, it seems the officiating is the main story of this World Cup. It's time to let the game be played.

Edit - typing things other than what was intended. Bad fingers!

[ Sunday, June 25, 2006 12:24: Message edited by: Freakin' Salmon ]

--------------------
quote:

E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #106
1 for 2 so far. For me, that's good.

I hereby change my predictions to England beating Portugal and then going down to Spain.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #107
I thought the ref called a fine game. Where he went wrong was in losing control of the match. All of the cards were deserved, IMO.

As for FIFA handing out extra suspensions, that's common procedure in all domestic leagues and in international play too - extra-hard fouls get extra-long suspensions.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #108
quote:

I thought the ref called a fine game. Where he went wrong was in losing control of the match. All of the cards were deserved, IMO.

As for FIFA handing out extra suspensions, that's common procedure in all domestic leagues and in international play too - extra-hard fouls get extra-long suspensions.

Hmm.

:P

Nyah nyah.

--------------------
quote:

Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #109
So Australia didn't make it due to a referee's mistake (or else)? :mad:
Anybody knows his addres an a good sniper? :cool:

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #110
Don't worry - getting angry at the referee is a sport all of its own ;) . Whenever England go out it is always blamed on the referee, despite whatever mediocre performance the team showed.

That said, the penalty decision WAS a crucial mistake. The Italians are good at making convincing dives like that...

--------------------
"Build a man a fire, and he´ll be warm for a day; set a man on fire, and he´ll be warm for the rest of his life."
Warrior
Member # 1688
Profile #111
quote:
Originally written by Pyrulen:

That said, the penalty decision WAS a crucial mistake. The Italians are good at making convincing dives like that...
Indeed.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #112
Oh the pain. That free kick was bogus, at best. :( :(

Still, this World Cup has put Australia on the map as a soccering nation, albeit a small one. Hopefully our next coach is as good as Lucky Guus.

[ Monday, June 26, 2006 14:55: Message edited by: Sprong ]

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #113
quote:
Originally written by Fortran:

quote:
Originally written by Pyrulen:

Indeed.

I second that. The world Diving championship occurs on grass this year. :P

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #114
Go Ghana! The moment of truth is coming quickly, and Ghana will triumph over the clearly inferior...

Well, yeah, I can dream.

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #115
I watched 80 minutes of the Australia game before I had to leave this morning. Judging from the ESPN coverage, I timed it just about perfectly.

Australia played a brilliant game, but sadly the final luck went to Italy.

There is nothing good to say about the Ukraine-Suisse game, except (maybe) that the officiating did not interfere. Oh, and Suisse was not scored upon during regular play in this World Cup.

Go Ghana, Go Ghana, Go Ghana!

--------------------
quote:

Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #116
quote:
Originally written by Freakin' Salmon:

There is nothing good to say about the Ukraine-Suisse game, except (maybe) that the officiating did not interfere.
And that Ukraine won of course :)

quote:
Go Ghana, Go Ghana, Go Ghana!
Go, go, go!!!

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #117
Australia didn't play a brilliant game. They had a man advantage for a whole half and didn't attack or break down the Italians at all. Where was Joseph Kennedy? And is Josip Skoko even on the roster?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #118
quote:

Australia didn't play a brilliant game. They had a man advantage for a whole half and didn't attack or break down the Italians at all. Where was Joseph Kennedy? And is Josip Skoko even on the roster?
They attacked plenty. The Italians had a very solid defense, though, I'll give them that. And we don't have a player called Joseph Kennedy - perhaps you're thinking of Josh Kennedy? He stayed on the bench the whole game. And I have no idea who Josip Skoko is. :P

Point is, the penalty should not have been a penalty, and the game should have gone to extra time. Italy did not deserve to win the way they did.

And my picks are going terribly. :(

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #119
Drakey is taking great pleasure in having an opinion different from mine. I must resort, again, to the famed nyah, nyah defense. There.

Today had games that were disappointing. Ghana was supposed to lose, and they did. Brasil did not look like a good team, instead a group of all-stars which played on the same field. Ronaldinho's disappointment in not getting a pass in the closing minutes was quite evident. Would it have made the game better to have a final score of 4-0?
The Spain-France game ended when the referee made a bad call to award a PK to France. They scored, breaking a tie. They scored another goal due to Spain's increased offensive push and almost complete lack of defensive posture. After all, it only mattered if they scored a goal.

Day 2 - England v Portugal
Day 3 - Italia v Ukraine
Day 4 - Brasil v France

The next round will weed out the chaff that snuck into the group of eight. I see France and Ukraine leaving for sure, and the other two are too close to call. I want Argentina to win, and I want England to lose. But only because they beat Trinidad and Tobago, which is kind of a dumb reason at this point.

Two day break before it resumes. Time to get some work done....

--------------------
quote:

Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #120
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

And I have no idea who Josip Skoko is. :P
Josip Skoko is number eight for Australia. He scored our goal against Greece last month.

As my for my tips:

Germany v Argentina - Germany will be too strong for the over-confident Argentine squad.
England v Portugal - Portugal will capitalise on Englands weaknesses.
Italy v Ukraine - Ukraine will be overwhelmed by the strong Italian offence.
Brazil v France - A no-brainer.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #121
I for one thought the call in Italy's game was competent. There was a foul to call, whether diving or legitimate, and from my perspective it appearged more legit then not.

That being said, not every call should be made. It is said in hockey playoff's that refs should not decide a game. This is not a license to hide the whistle, but to be judicious in calling penalties. Here, where the "foul" was not grevious, blatant or uncalled for (it was a legitimate attempt at the ball) and the choice not to call a foul would not have affected the momentum or score the players should have been allowed to play through.

Sadness over here for the failure of Spain, Mexico and Ghana to advance. Especially sorry that seven of the final eight are perennials.

Weighing in on the final eight: Argentina has been brilliant but Germany has momentum and home field. My heart is on the teutonic knights. Portugal will create too much offense for England, who like France, struggle to score. The other two are obvious.

[ Wednesday, June 28, 2006 07:32: Message edited by: Germany Wins...again...and again... ]

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Dollop of Whipped Cream
Member # 391
Profile Homepage #122
Call me a Hispanic, but I'm rooting for Argentina. I don't think they have much of a chance, but still.
As for the other three, I'm going for Portugal, Brazil (duhh), and Italy.

--------------------
"Tyranicus is about the only one that still posts in the Nethergate Forum." —Randomizer
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #123
quote:
Originally written by Germany Wins...again...and again...:

Sadness over here for the failure of Spain, Mexico and Ghana to advance. Especially sorry that seven of the final eight are perennials.
*sigh*... yeah.

Truly a depressing final 8.

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #124
Argentina can win if they play according to the referee's guidelines. They have superior ball handling technique, and could quite easily frustrate the Germans into making poor tackles and blatant fouls. Yellows and reds could occur on the German side if the Argentines manage to contain their tempers and play honorable ball. But they must use the aggressiveness of the Germans to their favor. With a man advantage the Argentines can pass around more simply, and build the tactical advantage that creates a goal.

I really hope they win, as each game after this round is a paid holiday if they are competing.

--------------------
quote:

Pages