What do you do whenever......

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What do you do whenever......
Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #0
......Spiderweb Software releases a new game? Do you, immediatly after finishing the previous newest game, remove the other from the dock, download the new game, add it to the dock, and then start playing it, forgetting about the previous game. Are you going to delete the BoA alias when Avernum 4 gets out and start playing it instead? Or are you like me one who doesn't abandon more-than-epic games like BoA until they make a better version, rewrite, or sequel to that more-than-epic game? (Because I doubt that Avernum 4 has a scenario development system available.)

--------------------
"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul." -Sauron
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
1. Spiderweb games maintain permanent residence on my hard disk, and I have played BoA, BoE, and A2 more than any others. None are on my dock, though. I don't believe in docks. (For the Apple illiterate, the dock is roughly analogous to the Start menu.)

2. This probably belongs in General, not BoA.

—Alorael, who downloads and plays the demos of new Spiderweb games almost immediately. Then he gets to decide whether they are worth the time and money. Then he finishes whatever else he's playing, if reasonable and applicable, before starting a new romp through endless monster corpses.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
Hmmm. i think I probably just continue playing what i always used to play, except that i download the demo of the new game, and if i like it, i complete the demo and start playing the old game again, otherwise I just throw it of my harddisk never to download it again.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #3
I keep all the old games as well, especially since I prefer Exile to Avernum. None of them have earned a place to be docked though. Only Starcraft has done that...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #4
I never dock any of the classic-only games on my dock because they make the dock look ugly. But other than that, I dock everything I play or use often.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
My dock has the BoE Scenario Editor, the 3D BoA Editor, BoA, and Avernum 4.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #6
I download the demo of the new Spiderweb game more or less as soon as it comes out, and I leave the demo in my downloads folder. If I register the game I add the full version to a folder with all other SW games on my hard drive. I don't usually play a game more than a couple times, so by the time a new game comes out I likely haven't played the other SW games in some time (with exception of BoX).

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #7
I have a special folder on the quick-launch area next to the start menu that contains a shortcut to every game spiderweb has made. When a new one comes out it is added.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #8
My dock only contains seven, one-inch high items: Safari, IE, iChat, Word, Excel, iTunes, and Finder. I access everything else through "recent applications" or its respective folder in Applications. I try to keep my desktop simple and dorkiness-free because I share my computer with my wife, who I'm certain believes games are a total waste of time, though she'd never say so outright.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #9
I keep ALL of my Spidweb games I've registered :) . I absolutely HATE Geneforege, though, and although I've tried to give it a couple of chances, it just doesn't get through to me.

:mad:
:mad: I HATE GENEFORGE!!! :mad:
:mad:

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #10
I dock (although its called apple menu in system 9) all the games In my apple menu, i have all exile and Avernum games, and even GF 1 and 3. But these I'm gonna throw away soon.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #11
I just play through the demos to see if they're any good, and they almost always are. (For some reason, I didn't get enough interest to play through the whole GF 3 demo)

I've played all the Exile games, but my first SW games are and always will be the Avernum games, though Exile appears to be the dominant favorite among members here. I pretty much only register all the Avernum games and play the GF, Nethergate and Exile demos from time to time in cases of extreme boredom.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #12
I only keep applications I use frequently in my dock. I'm usually only playing one game at a time, and then it's usually my most recently purchased game—currently Icewind Dale sits in the dock.

So far I've registered all of Jeff's games except the Exile series, and keep them in the applications folder(s) (the Classic apps I keep in the OS 9 Apps folder).

When I know a new Spiderweb game is coming out soon, I make sure I haven't bought any other game recently. I sometimes diddle around with an old favorite—like Starcraft or Star Wars Episode I Pod Racer—to kill time during the days before the new one's release. I then download it, play through the demo, then register it. However, recently I've started to go ahead and just register it once I download it. Saves time.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
I usually spend the last two days before the release of the new game and the first two weeks after the release in some kind of hiatus from Spiderweb, thus that when I return, the novelty of the item is beginning to wear off. I can't count how many times I've said: "Wow, is that out? Why did no one tell me?"

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Warrior
Member # 37
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

I usually spend the last two days before the release of the new game and the first two weeks after the release in some kind of hiatus from Spiderweb, thus that when I return, the novelty of the item is beginning to wear off. I can't count how many times I've said: "Wow, is that out? Why did no one tell me?"
Seconded, though replace 'two days' with 'two months', and replace 'two weeks' with 'anythere between three and six months'.

--------------------
{Tempus} jack thompson? ppl actually admire that freak?
{@Fanateeq72802} Not everyone disagrees with him.
{+iris} Someone should send him a few of the more steamy Japanese dating sim games. His head would explode.
{@Fanateeq72802} And I'd laugh. Hard.
{Tempus} im on it. brb
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #15
I hope you don't mind me asking, but what is a dock, as referred to in this topic?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
The dock is a bar of icons on the bottom of the screen in Mac OS X. It includes the icons of all currently running applications at any given time, so that you can click on an icon to easily switch applications. You can also put applications that aren't currently running in the Dock on a full-time basis, allowing you to easily launch those applications from the Dock.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Benny Boy:

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what is a dock, as referred to in this topic?
quote:
Originally written by Cable Jockey:

(For the Apple illiterate, the dock is roughly analogous to the Start menu.)

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #18
ben, it helps to read ALL posts of a topic before asking questions.

I personally play a game until I tire of it, regardless of its age. Newer does not equal better to me. Good is good, nevermind the shiny factor. However, seeing as I'm on a new computer (woot), I have yet to install every little game I had before. Just the biggies that I play most frequently.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #19
I load the demo, see if it's fun, see if I have money for it, and if I have, register it. Sadly, I rarely have money :(

--------------------
Somebody PLEASE turn the heat on.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by demonslaeyr:

ben, it helps to read ALL posts of a topic before asking questions.
Actually, I don't think the Dock is all that similar to the Windows Start menu. I think Ben's question and the excellent definition in Thuryl's reply were fully justified. It gives him a fuller picture of exactly what we're talking about.

Granted, Ben can be overly garrulous, but in this case I think it was a legitimate question.

[ Tuesday, August 30, 2005 21:02: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #21
I keep any game I register from spiderweb on my hard-drive. The games that I have registered are Avernum 1,2, and BoA. They are all deserving of a place on my start menu (being a windows user), but that doesn't really mean much as it has nearly 100 things on it.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #22
For me, XP automatically 'docks' whatever gamy I play. It can be removed from there, however.

--------------------
Mugglenet--The ULTIMATE Harry Potter Site.
Polaris-- New location.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Every owl is owl:

quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Seconded, though replace 'two days' with 'two months', and replace 'two weeks' with 'anythere between three and six months'.

But two months ahead, you roughly know when the game is about to be released.

With unerring intuition, I manage to leave mere days before the actual release without actually knowing the date. o_o

Also, Chief Spider, Caps are not a substitute for whatever you wish to compensate with them.

[ Wednesday, August 31, 2005 04:07: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #24
I always download the demo of a new game, try it , and decide whether it's good. Almost the same as Alorael actually. :D

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?