Do you trust people?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Do you trust people?
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #0
Do you generally trust people?

Poll Information
This poll contains 3 question(s). 50 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=TvAuJSuXDDyZ"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=TvAuJSuXDDyZ"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
I trust most people I know. People I don't know, somewhat.

And I'm afraid most people trust me far more than they should. I should be ashamed. :o

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #2
Hard to generalize - there are all sorts of different levels of trust for different people, in my experience.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #3
Of people I know, I trust a few of them completely, a larger amount somewhat, and an even larger amount not at all. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt when I meet them, so it can go either way, depending on how I see them act. People trust me, usually more than I trust them. It's really pretty sad.

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #4
I hardly ever trust anyone. I don't know why. Unless I've known someone for a very, very long time I have trouble trusting them.

--------------------
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #5
I'm with Aran, I trust most people I know, I fully trust my best friends, close relatives, and I somewhat trust strangers. I trust more strangers living in Dominican Republic rather than New York; whether it has to do with the fact that there are far more crimes in New York or just that, I just grew up in Dom rep I do not know. On the other hand, people generally trust me even strangers. They all seem to think I’m a good girl. Boy! Are they wrong or what?

[ Thursday, July 28, 2005 07:48: Message edited by: Marlenny ]
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #6
I'm very trusting and rather gullible in general, but not too many people become aware of this and very few have ever exploited these qualities in me. Sometimes friends will attempt to feed me false stories and the like, but I'm fairly wise to those and it's all in good fun.

People generally trust me, although at times I wonder why they do. I'm perfectly honest and a great friend, but I'm not all that reliable or discreet. Irresponsibility plagues me at every turn, and I've always been a terrible gossip hound. My penchant for telling tales used to get me in all sorts of trouble with friends, but I've managed to learn from those mistakes of the past and restrain myself a bit. Don't get me wrong, I still love to gossip and spread juicy stories around, but nowadays I keep my mouth shut when I've been privy to really sensitive information.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Stugri-La:

I'm very trusting and rather gullible in general, but not too many people become aware of this and very few have ever exploited these qualities in me.
That was a mistake. Now I shall feed you falsities whilst raiding your bank account...

I trust only one person completely. I only trust a few of my friends somewhat, and most people not at all. I don't trust strangers easily. Perhaps my sleeplessness has caused lots of paranoia?

People, on the other hand, seem to burden me with all manner of problems. For some reason, they seem to think I can help them. So yes, I am quite trusted.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #8
I tend to keep a small group of very close friends, and trust them completely. Some members of my family are trustworthy, and others... I trust associates for the most part, and somewhat trust strangers.

I find that most people trust me; I'm good at keeping secrets, and I don't like to gossip (most of the time). Strangers tend trust me, as I'm generally thought to be a "good girl", and at times I am, kind of.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #9
I don't trust people, but I have my reasons not to.

People tend to trust me, seeing as I'm a good listener and I can lie pretty well (that's not a good thing, though, not all the time at least).

I trust my girlfriend. And I trust my friend Matt. That's about it.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #10
It looks like most people think that others trust them more than they trust others. :)

As for me, I used to assume that everybody was honest and trustworthy until I got burned by that, so now I assume that people online are just role-playing their chosen characters. As for people in RL, I still trust them unless they give me a strong reason not to.

[ Thursday, July 28, 2005 08:01: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #11
Somewhat.

You should have asked whether or not we trusted our fellow forumgoers. :P

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #12
I trust no one completely, and the only time I let my guard down is when I'm around close friends, exclusively. I think people tend to trust me but most of them don't really make use of that trust; it's kind of annoying, but I suppose it's safer that way. If they really need someone to trust, they know I'm here.

I tend to put far more trust in individual people than I put in people in general. I have little to no faith in the human race, but I generally trust people I see and talk to (to a point). Maybe I'm overcautious, but not without reason.

I certainly trust people in real life far more than I trust people online, though. ;)

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #13
I generally trust people, although I'm a bit more careful than I used to be.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #14
I tend to distrust people at first, but if they earn my respect, they get to know everything they want. Unfortunately, it doesn't take much to earn my respect. One or two good, deep conversations is likely to do it. As such, I consider myself gullible, but I'm not a bad judge of character; no one has betrayed me yet.

This is probably because I only speak to a few close friends regularly. I'm sure that if I tried to get closer to my many acquaintances I would be stabbed in the back sooner or later.

I trust people on Spidweb, and why not? You all seem civilized enough, or at least too insane to cause damage. I feared exposing my true identity over the Internet for a very long time, but now I figure that if anyone uses the information that I've put on the web to find me, then so be it. If they want to use that info to say, sneak into my room at night to kill me, I say that if they really want to go through all of that trouble to rub out little old me, then they deserve some type of gratification at the end of their quest. :P

Oh yes, and I think people trust me soon after I speak to them. If I don't speak to them, I end up intimidating them into silence, or so many of my friends have told me once we've talked about our first impressions of each other.

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #15
I don't worry too much about trust. I think it is overrated. I look at people and see if they don't unconsciously or consciously screw people over.

A lot of the time people aren't even aware that they are lying, or acting bastardly. They simply are on automatic.

I try to pay attention and find people who are awake enough to think about what they are doing and have some positive traits.

I don't expect people to trust me. Quite frankly for the most part; I don't want to know other peoples confidences or secrets unless I know a person very well.

If someone tries to confide information I don't want to be part of, I will tell them to stop and that I won't be part of it.

I have no problem being destructive if I am treated disrespectfully or with indignity.

[ Thursday, July 28, 2005 11:41: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

now I assume that people online are just role-playing their chosen characters.
I think you've really hit the nail on the head there. So long as one doesn't take anything anybody says online too seriously we can all enjoy ourselves and have fun in each other's worlds of make-believe.

As far as trusting people goes: I live in a subterranean bunker surrounded by warding glyphs and booby traps, terrified that one day a close friend will penetrate the outer defenses and give me a mail bomb for a birthday present.

IMAGE(http://www.madnorwegian.com/fp/img/lordfoamingsky-big.jpg)

[ Thursday, July 28, 2005 11:45: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
I know that everyone is out to get me. I keep my own counsel, sirs! No, I'm not really the trusting type. Partly this is because I am cynical, and partly this is because I am a terrible micromanager who must be involved in everything. Trust requires letting someone else handle, know, or influence something, and that's really not something I'm good at. I trust people I know better more, of course, unless in the course of getting to know them I discover that they really aren't trustworthy at all. All this has led me to shut myself up on a second story and emerge only to retrieve the wallets of "mysteriously smitten" pedestrians.

I don't think people trust me that much, either, and if they do they shouldn't. I'm not intentionally malicious (I swear!), but I am notoriously unreliable and easily distracted. And there's that whole pedestrian thing, too.

—Alorael, who can add only that he knows most Spiderwebbers only minimally. So not all of the above is true.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #18
Thinking on it, I'm not truly gullible at all. I used to be, but I wised up to malicious deception some time ago. I've got a fairly cautious nature, as well- I'm certainly never careless about my credit card numbers or my wallet.

I don't go about suspecting others of intending me harm, though. Part of that has to do with my own appearance. I'm not powerfully built or anything, but I'm imposing enough physically that I'm rarely messed with at all. I suppose I possess a trusting nature largely because I've got no good reason to be distrustful of others at all.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #19
When I was younger I was far too guilible. When I moved into seventh grade, I hardly trusted anyone.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #20
I used to be quite trusting. But now I trust like one or two people. I trust my best mate to keep secrets and give me decent advice, but I don't trust him not to draw on my face while sleeping/kill me. The killing thing has almost happened so many times that we decided to get a few on video. Most of the time it's just ideas of his that sound good but never quite go as planned.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #21
I tend to trust people until they prove themselves unworthy of it. Of course, I won't trust a complete stranger with my most prized possession or anything like that, but I generally trust people to not do anything too stupid or destructive, and to help out if called upon.

(Interesting aside: I acknowledge that there are many psychological factors which may keep people from helping others, i.e.: diffusion of responsibility, but I think people are usually predisposed towards kindness)

I may have too much faith in humanity, but oh well. And with regards to everyone around here, I'll tend to trust older members more (TM excluded, regretfully). Still, I'll trust most people as long as they don't do something blindingly stupid (like the more obvious idiots who've been canned).

Actually, there is one group of people I can't really bring myself to trust: people who overuse chatspeak.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

I trust no one completely, and the only time I let my guard down is when I'm around close friends, exclusively. I think people tend to trust me but most of them don't really make use of that trust; it's kind of annoying, but I suppose it's safer that way. If they really need someone to trust, they know I'm here.

I tend to put far more trust in individual people than I put in people in general. I have little to no faith in the human race, but I generally trust people I see and talk to (to a point). Maybe I'm overcautious, but not without reason.

I certainly trust people in real life far more than I trust people online, though. ;)

same here I have no trust for human kind whatsoever there is only one pewrson now that I think about it that i trust fully my best friend seth I trust him more than my family in true honesty I should probably be ashamed of that :rolleyes:

--------------------
Why are you reading this ?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #23
Do I trust people? Well, I trust them to act according to their motiviations. I've learned that my actions/inactions can cause corresponding things to happen with other people, so if I act in good faith, most other people will as well. That's the nice thing about people, they are so easily influenced to be trustworthy and friendly.

I have a wide array of friends from Maine to Hawaii, and I would indeed trust them with my life, possessions, girlfriend, anything. That is my definition of friendship, and I have honored that obligation as well. It's a much nice place when you have friends like that.

As far as complete strangers, I trust them every day. I trust that other drivers won't run me off the road. I trust that someone won't walk into my house and take stuff. I trust that my neighbors know who is welcome and unwelcome to visit while I'm away. The question itself is difficult to answer in the negative, since humanity depends on trust for its survival.

*this message sponsored by albedo savings and loan - you can trust us too*
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #24
I try and trust most people. People I don't know I somewhat trust, but that is mostly because I don't know them/they don't know me, so they wouldn't just punch me or something like that. I like to think I am trusted, though people that know me may not say that they do.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris

Pages