Avernum 4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #75
Is the entirety of Ermaria mapped out?
So there are 3 known ones, besides the north coast of Valorim and maybe more?
And yes plot info would be more useful, or rather satisfying.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #76
The Canon world of Ermarian includes Valorim (which is entirely mapped out, save for the northern coast), Pralgrad, Aizo and Vantanas.

(Edit: Aizo, yes. Can't think how that happened.)

None but Valorim is mapped out in the canon version, which is what bothers me. The rest of the world has been mapped in detail by the community (specifically by the BoE Arena) - if Jeff draws it anew (and he certainly won't base his version on the community-made one), he will cause a lot of havoc in the storyline.

Since there would then be two clearly detailed, highly different versions, I for one would likely keep them both in the Encyclopedia. But we'll see what happens.

[ Saturday, November 13, 2004 14:28: Message edited by: He wandr'd far from Northern strand ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #77
*cough*

It's Aizo. Aixo is just one of Alec's perversions.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #78
Right. Aixo only applies to the specific worldline with Xao and pals, very far in the future. Even in the Arena, it's officially Aizo now that the worldline is back to Empire days.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #79
There are many different versions of each continent; taking Pralgad as an example, there's my version, which is to the north of Valorim and separated by big mountains, and Stareye's example, which is a giant square in the middle of the ocean.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #80
True.

Just to clarify, screenshots would be useless unless it was to show the new UI. Is it not still an Avernum game? Do we not still know what Avernum looks like?

Obviously, story-bits and feature lists are the prefered poison.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #81
quote:
Originally written by Seaweed:

quote:
Originally written by Corrigere:

quote:
Originally written by Seaweed:

Avernum 4 could tell the story of the First Expedition. You know, "a small band of Empire adventurers descended to the unexplored caves where dragons and demons freely roamed etc".

Only then it would have to end with everyone being slaughtered. A pity.

This, I believe, would be a fiercely interesting game: Skip the useless level-building since you already have Demonslayer, Giantslayer, Smite, etc, and have every tactical challenge revolve around the situations of the members of the expedition- each chapter could be the story of each member. (And it's not assumed that every one of them died- just that their equipment scattered. After all, there IS a physical exit to Exile/Avernum at that point, and since falling off of a cliff inevitably means that the person is still alive, it's plenty feasible that they might only be assumed to be dead.) The various chapters would be gauntlets where the single party member could have people join his/her crew, and most paths end in slaughter- there would be lots of fleeing.

Unfortunately, there would be few (if any) goblin dungeons and little senseless slaughtering. So much for that idea.

I think leveling up your character is a huge part of the fun. Along with finding and stealing exciting new stuff from the still warm corpses. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to put it all on one card - which would be the plot. Don't overestimate the tactical combat part. I don't think it would be that much of a bait. Surely not with standard players who just want a standard RPG.

So yes, I'm kicking the ass of my own suggestion. Not a very commercial concept. Someone could try it out in a BoA scenario, though.

Djur: I wasn't speaking literally. Just pointing out that A4 would give the whole Avernum saga a good shake, maybe even unbalance it a little. Which we all know, of course.

EDIT: Okay then, so unbalance it a lot.

I'm working' on it!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #82
He said the engine will be signficantly modified for A4, though (hence the screenshots).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #83
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

*cough*

It's Aizo. Aixo is just one of Alec's perversions.

Did I say Aixo?!

Sorry. Freudian slip there, I was thinking about the Arena stuff right then and kept trying to remember whether it was Aizo or Doston that were invented by the community. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #84
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

He said the engine will be signficantly modified for A4, though (hence the screenshots).
I don't consider a new inventory screen "significantly modified".

Blah, perhaps I'm being to harsh...

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #85
The screenshots are from Geneforge 3, not A4. Geneforge 3 is still using the same engine, though with little modifications like the inventory screen. We have neither seen nor heard anything about A4 except a promise of niftiness.

—Alorael, who very much hopes to see that niftiness. He could use a little more nift in his life.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #86
I suppose I should've said, "hence the presumably forthcoming screenshots."

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #87
I am hoping a strategy element will be added to the game. After a certain level you can gain leadership and influence points. This would allow you to command small scale skirmishes. Also it would allow you to make decisions which would affect other parts of the map. I know that troops can join you in small battles. It would be neat if you could buy units to accompany you after a certain level. You could extend the titles after level 50 with this kind of arrangement-- lord, knight, baron, etc.

Also a crafting skill would be cool. You could put together different magical items. This would be in addition to alchemy. I think alchemy is a very cool thing.

A lot of strategy games do not use 3d graphics. They are 2d. I think the best thing would be to increase the available options for strategy, roleplaying, and the creation of magical items. It would be interesting to see a combination roleplaying/strategy game.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #88
Jeff has already all but stated outright that he won't try strategy games. It's in one of the interviews, but it'll take some digging to find it. He has gone back on promises before, but in this case I think we can expect him to stick with what he knows how to make and, more importantly, what he knows he can sell.

—Alorael, who would be more than happy to get reasonably challenging AI again. Geneforge has a little bit, and BoA can add some, but there wasn't any in A3. So if fights actually require some thinking, it will be a step forward.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #89
He has a crafting skill in GF3 apparently so perhaps he will incorporate it into A4 as well. And taking an army along is pretty much the same thing to summoning a lich or the like, while it would also contrast the "adventurer" type.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #90
I if you could summon more monsters, I would like to see some control over them. I haven't downloaded or even played Geneforge, (I don't like downloading {takes too long} so I am just going to wait for the demo on the BoA disk) so I don't know if you can acutally control the creatures you summon. I think it would be really nice if you could switch between controling summoned monsters, and using a whole slew of them to fight battles. There are not really any big battles in any of the games. (as far as I know) None where you are fighting a hundred or so enemies.

Something that I would really like to see in an rpg, is a 3rd person view, but with a Mortal Combat- type fighting system. Kind of like GTA, but with an Avernum or fantasy storyline.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #91
If you give your creations in Geneforge at least two intelligence, and you should, you can control them. They'll ignore you and run around crazily if get close to death, but for the most part you have control of them.

If you're looking for large battles, I suggest you revisit the Ornotha Ziggurat. The battle in front of it is sizeable, and it amply demonstrates why Jeff didn't throw in a whole lot of large fights of that sort. It's slow, confusing, and not a whole lot of fun. Smaller fights with interesting enemies and terrain provide more satisfying tactical challenges.

Games like the one you described are generally called adventures, not RPGs (though since neither term is very technically defined, the distinction is rather blurred). Either that or RPGs with very odd battle systems.

—Alorael, who still doesn't think Avernum 4 will become a large-scale tactical warfare strategy game. Jeff goes for adventurers and only adventurers, and none of his engines work particularly well with massive battles. He could design the sparkly new A4 engine around it, but all signs indicate that he wouldn't do such a thing.
Infiltrator
Member # 3933
Profile #92
i still hope that jeff will finally hear my pledge and make it possible to play a plot thats not on the side of avernum.
like being an empire soldier, slith, nephil, vahnatai or demon, or whatever. a mung rat maybe.
...oooor play an empire mage, fighting for erika vs garzahd... erika...*dream*

--------------------
OH MY GOD IT'S THE FUNKY ****!!!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #93
Jeff, in my humble opinion, made a mistake by shaping the world of Avernum so densely populated.
All continents are well-known by the extremely powerful and prosperous Empire already. There's no land, unexplored and unknow to humanity, far away from the safety of society, to explore in the World of Avernum anymore.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #94
All known continents are settled. The Empire could always have missed one or two. Diplomacy with the Dead certainly implies the existence of new frontiers.

—Alorael, who would rather see more of Avernum anyway. There are probably caves farther west that haven't been explored much, there are deeper caves, there is more of Upper Avernum, there are the vahnatai and slith lands, and when all else fails, the narrator can inform you that you are in a new part of Avernum whether you like and understand it or not.

[ Saturday, November 20, 2004 06:38: Message edited by: Novah Philology ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 4214
Profile #95
quote:
Originally written by Novah Philology:

All known continents are settled. The Empire could always have missed one or two. Diplomacy with the Dead certainly implies the existence of new frontiers.
According to the intruiging book I found in the inn of Silvar, on the surface in Avernum 3, there are 5 continents known by the empire. Hopefully, the World of Avernum, accomodating to Jeff Vogels idea, is much larger than our world. Otherwise, there won't be much space left for unknown, unsettled land masses on that planet.

quote:
—Alorael, who would rather see more of Avernum anyway. There are probably caves farther west that haven't been explored much, there are deeper caves, there is more of Upper Avernum, there are the vahnatai and slith lands, and when all else fails, the narrator can inform you that you are in a new part of Avernum whether you like and understand it or not.
Ah, subterranean tunnels and cities were something I really, really missed in Avernum 3… When I emerged on the surface in Avernum 3, agoraphobia overwhelmed me.

[ Sunday, November 21, 2004 10:31: Message edited by: Mind ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #96
There are four continents: Aizo, Vantanas, Pralgrad, and Valorim. They're listed in the books you can find everywhere in E3/A3.

—Alorael, who supposes Doston could count as a fifth continent if you believe certain individuals and their vastly advanced timeline of Ermarian.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #97
Doston is full of technology and crying.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3174
Profile Homepage #98
I have but one thing to say about Avernum 4...
BRING IT ON!

Im such an addict...hee...

--------------------
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle, melloneamin
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #99
I dunno about A2 and A3, but the graphics in A1 were a little vague. I am playing the demo, to try it all out. It seems that the graphics are too much alike. I am fighting goblins and nephilim, and they really look the same, unless you squint. I would like to see graphics with a little more clarity.

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam

Pages