Avernum 4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #250
You were wondering why people have mixed feelings about an Avernum 4. I was one of those people who had mixed feelings, so I can explain some of the reasons.

The fact that Jeff is even making an A4 suggests that he has no new ideas for a new storyline. He swore for many years that he would never make an Exile 4, and the fact that he's making an Avernum 4 tells me that he can think of nothing else. If he had any other viable ideas, he would use them first.

This is not a good sign for BoA designers who like to work within the Avernum universe, because it probably means another stupid vahnatai-Rentar-Ihrno thing. Now don't get me wrong: I liked A2 and A3 a great deal, but the vahnatai in A3 were boring and stupid. I can just hear Jeff thinking, "I need something to cause some monster plagues. How about... the vahnatai! Now why would they be mad enough at the Empire to do this. Hmm. I know! The crystal souls! They're still mad about that!" It was a flimsy justification and took any credibility away from Rentar-Ihrno and her entire clan.

Another stupid vahnatai-Rentar-Ihrno thing means that we'll get an A4 that plays like Erika's Legacy. And Jeff taking a gigantic dump on the Avernum universe is the last thing we need to spur on popularity for BoA.

Also, some people feel this is a kick in the face after they requested an E4 for so many years. Jeff ignored what they wanted in favor of getting more money off of selling the same product ("Here's A1, almost an exact duplicate of E1 in a different engine!"), and now that he has again chosen what is most cost-efficient rather than what his fanbase might want, some people feel rather irritated. I am not among those people, because I'm a newcomer to this scene and I only played the Avernums (Averna?), but I can understand the sentiment.

At any rate, I feel better about this A4 thing now than I did previously. It will be a fun game, even if it at times will inevitably annoy me.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #251
quote:
Originally written by [b:
Kelandon[/b]]
The fact that Jeff is even making an A4 suggests that he has no new ideas for a new storyline. He swore for many years that he would never make an Exile 4, and the fact that he's making an Avernum 4 tells me that he can think of nothing else. If he had any other viable ideas, he would use them first.

I agree with this statement as well. The avernum concept is getting pretty watered down. This will be the fifth installment. Now an Avernum 5 would be borderline insane. :)

quote:
Kelandon[/b]]
This is not a good sign for BoA designers who like to work within the Avernum universe, because it probably means another stupid vahnatai-Rentar-Ihrno thing. Now don't get me wrong: I liked A2 and A3 a great deal, but the vahnatai in A3 were boring and stupid. I can just hear Jeff thinking, "I need something to cause some monster plagues. How about... the vahnatai! Now why would they be mad enough at the Empire to do this. Hmm. I know! The crystal souls! They're still mad about that!" It was a flimsy justification and took any credibility away from Rentar-Ihrno and her entire clan.
Disagreed. What if Jeff decides to make it completely different. After all, no one wants the same old crap thats happened in the past 4 games.

quote:
Kelandon[/b]]
Another stupid vahnatai-Rentar-Ihrno thing means that we'll get an A4 that plays like Erika's Legacy. And Jeff taking a gigantic dump on the Avernum universe is the last thing we need to spur on popularity for BoA.

You can't be certain it will turn out as a "vahnatai-Rentar-Ihrno thing" :)

quote:
Kelandon[/b]]
Also, some people feel this is a kick in the face after they requested an E4 for so many years. Jeff ignored what they wanted in favor of getting more money off of selling the same product ("Here's A1, almost an exact duplicate of E1 in a different engine!"), and now that he has again chosen what is most cost-efficient rather than what his fanbase might want, some people feel rather irritated. I am not among those people, because I'm a newcomer to this scene and I only played the Avernums (Averna?), but I can understand the sentiment.
I can see your points here. But back then, didn't Jeff have a lot of different games he wanted to work on? We didn't need another installment in the same series.

quote:
Kelandon[/b]]
At any rate, I feel better about this A4 thing now than I did previously. It will be a fun game, even if it at times will inevitably annoy me.
Me too! :)

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Warrior
Member # 5321
Profile #252
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

[QB]

[QB]
first off, thank you for filling me on the matter :)

now then- I can definatelly see your point, and to say the least, wish i could see into the mind of Jeff, and take a little (or rather a huge) peep at what hes got planned; when I wrote those ideas of mine, I wasnt evne thinign that (the enitre vahnatai-overused thing) and I see how, if it was a big vahantai war, it could be used in that; though I still think that dukeing it out with the vahantai woudl have a bit of a different feel to it then bashing in assorted beasts ;)

I suppose the best option for a story line that wont infringe on the vahantai is indeed somthing to do with the rise of the empire itself... which I for one would enjoy- but then I'm a history nut, and love how the empire, probabley completelly unintentionally, bares a great reselblence to the Roman empire in the late 3rd century (usless fact of the day? I think so ;D)
so I'd be more then willignt o shell out soem dough for somethign alogn thos elines (though, I'd buy anythign to do with avernum really- although, I'm kinda sad it will be in a different game engine- I;m very close to completeing a custom PC graphic set, and it would be a shame to have it limited to the previous 3 avernums + BOA *note, I myself play on a PC, though I honestlly prefer playign it on a mac, because it looks better on them, the access to art files is easy as can be, and so I can pick,choose, and replace at my leasure- somthign I never found out how to do on a mac)
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #253
You know, I'd really like that too. A whole "before avernum" game would be cool. Although im not really sure it would happen, because its avernum4, and that would have made sense for avernum 1.

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #254
To those of you who don't think Rentar-Ihrno will in some way be behind whatever mischef is in store A4, I hope you are right. However, Jeff Vogel has a habit of using old material and dry motives to do his future stories.

"The Vahnatai worked in A3, why not in A4?" he will most likely think. I hope I am wrong, but his past designing behavior tends to exude this.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #255
The problem with focusing A4 on a Vahnatai war is that there are a number of people who are sympathetic with Rentar and crew. Exile III was generally palatable, since it was an issue of survival. Going into full-on anti-V war would be kind of distasteful for some people.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #256
Not for me, I hate those jerks.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #257
*shudders*

The Vahnatai are my brethren.

And GF3 makes me fear for Av4.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #258
Oh? Is it same ol, same ol?

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Warrior
Member # 5321
Profile #259
quote:
Originally written by The Dog And Pony Show:

The problem with focusing A4 on a Vahnatai war is that there are a number of people who are sympathetic with Rentar and crew. Exile III was generally palatable, since it was an issue of survival. Going into full-on anti-V war would be kind of distasteful for some people.
Bah, who would like the vahnatai ;)

well, while I certianlly wouldnt mind the vahnatai (all for the empire! ;) ) i suppose thier are probably alot more people willign to side with the vahnatai then the ye olde Imperium; though of course, its all just speculation (but I can still hope A4 is a game that involoves directlly kicking vahnatai arse ;) )
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #260
That's right people! Vahnatai suck! :P

--------------------

Pages