Avernum 4

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum 4
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #125
It's always been Monroe, as far as I know. XK might have misremembered or typoed.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #126
Thought so. :)

IMAGE(http://images.polarisboard.org/arancaytar/monroe.gif)

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

Warrior
Member # 3698
Profile Homepage #127
I think that Jeff will stop making Exiles. It's an old game. Avernum Is actually almost the same . . .

--------------------
Hi. Why is the universe so BIG? Why am I human? How come hot dogs come in packages of 10 and buns 8? This will all be solved in time young padawan. Your quest for the ultimate Aztec manuer is coming to a climax. May the force be with you!!!
······························································
This is where I want you to click! Rate me! Ha Ha
Check out my GF 1, 2 and 3 Helper!
Ceck out some cool Mac OS X Apps that were made by me here!
10101 Software - You can take my iMac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the wireless mouse!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #128
Right. I think, though, that Jeff could have made an attempt to come up with a different plotline so the game would be more interesting to former Exile players...

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #129
It would be cool to see a druid or paladin type character in the new avernum, with summoning magic and whatnot.

--------------------
Never regret anything, because it was meant to happen.
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #130
I know! He could maike an Avernum 4: Back to Avernum.

It would be like history repeated itself all over again. The empire banished the avernites to the underground, except avernum would be different, and there would be newer creatures. In my opinion, that would be awesome to have another newer game like that. :)

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #131
OH YEAH
And then in Avernum 5 he could make the Avernites meet a strange new race called the Vahotties, who would be molested by the Empire! That would just be great.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #132
Jeff has already stopped making Exiles. That was around the time he started making Avernums. Coincidence?

And, see, a paladin type would just be someone with fighhting and priest skills. You can do that. A druid would be someone with druid skills, whatever those are. Either play Nethergate or Geneforge, depending on how you define them. Or some other game with a different vision of druid.

—Alorael, who thinks he might be crushed under the weight of sarcasm.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #133
quote:
Originally written by [b:
m's avatar[/b]]
OH YEAH
And then in Avernum 5 he could make the Avernites meet a strange new race called the Vahotties, who would be molested by the Empire! That would just be great.
Lol. I didnt mean it like that :P
It'd just be cool to do a, you know, "avernum in the future" thing, like see how it is hundreds of years later.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #134
quote:
Originally written by -08:

Lol. I didnt mean it like that :P
It'd just be cool to do a, you know, "avernum in the future" thing, like see how it is hundreds of years later.

It'd also be cool to give slum dwellers Ebola to see how they react. But we don't DO THAT, do we?
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #135
I wonder what the new major threat will be? Epic plots need epic conflict.

The Empire isn't very likely to turn upon Avernum once more. And the Vahnatai... they tried to destroy the world in Exile 3, already. I think they aren't likely to try that again. Not as soon as in part 4, at least.

So there is need for a new enemy. A new race? It would really force people to reforge their picture of Exile. I'm not sure I would like it.

Maybe internal conflicts within the Empire? Possible. But maybe still not epic enough for my tastes. More like a BoE scenario. Exile isn't about diplomacy, it's about killing things and stealing their stuff. And epic adventure.

From what perspective will the adventure be played? So far it has always been from that of the exiles. What now? Will you play as a member of the Empire? This will naturally have a great impact on the 'major conflict', whatever that will be.

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #136
This thread has become inexcusably retarded.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #137
Weedy brings up an interesting point, though. I am curious about the setting of A4. I wonder if it will take place around the same time as Jeff's BoA scenarios, and if that means that the Second Slith War will be a significant feature.

More likely, I suspect, is that it will be the vahnatai returning to make good on their claim that it wasn't over when Rentar-Ihrno lost the fight at the end of A3. More vahnatai revenge, more fighting for the Empire, and therefore, probably worse stupidity than the overall plot of A3.

But perhaps I am not giving Jeff enough credit. It has been a while since he made a new epic plot for the Exile/Avernum universe.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #138
quote:
Originally written by Calm Ichneumon:

It's always been Monroe, as far as I know. XK might have misremembered or typoed.
Nope. Exile III has it "Monoroe."
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #139
I think you are mistaken.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #140
Looking through Exile III's resource fork gives "Monoroe" (for the Mac version), so the Windows version is probably the same. I have version 1.0.1.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 4942
Profile #141
As for a new race, what if the Nephilim, Vahnatai, and the Sliths were all combined in a sick scientist's project, and they plan to destroy the world? THAT would be fun... fuzzy lizards wielding crooked pieces of metal...

--------------------
Wham Bam Shizam
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #142
I doubt that idea would go far...btw, what would be the outcome of a mammal and reptile combining anyway? :confused:

Another thought: that would be a far too superior race. They'd be magic wielding, razordisk, archers, warriors, and can live anywhere. That's kinda overstepping, isnt it? :cool:

[ Thursday, November 25, 2004 15:58: Message edited by: -08 ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #143
quote:
Originally written by ARRR-enax:
*frowns*

Wow, you're right. After a quick Google search for "Monoroe", I came up with a bunch of Exile-related sites. Don't know how I could have missed it.

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #144
quote:
Originally written by 4614 and 4808:

quote:
*frowns*

Wow, you're right. After a quick Google search for "Monoroe", I came up with a bunch of Exile-related sites. Don't know how I could have missed it.

I was just playing through E3 again and noticed it. I always thought it was Monroe, too.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #145
What happens to Exile/Avernum after E/A3? The teleporter has to be put back up probably to Patricks tower, the Tower of Magi probably is rebuilt unless it is just moved to Patricks since he died. Erika is dead, Patrick is dead, it would be easy for some demon King to escape once more. Hmmm perhaps the Empire's desire to destroy all other races could be extended to the demons and an attack on the realm of Grah Hoth could be made. Of course the surface crypt will have to be explained, so creationism will probably be verified or destroyed. Setting could be years into the future but that is doubtful to me, though RI could become a crystal soul.......
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #146
A new Empire ruler ascends to the throne that develops a distaste toward the Exiles and exile them back to where they were in the first place. But without Erika or the Vahnatai, they cannot successfully revolt again.

When finally this emperor dies and another one succeeds him, the Exiles try to talk some sense into him and make him allow them back to the surface once again. After much argument, the new emperor finally agrees to their request, but only if they can successfully complete these quests before time runs out...

*shrugs*

:eek: 700 :eek:

[ Thursday, November 25, 2004 19:18: Message edited by: 4614 and 4808 ]

--------------------
-ben4808

CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 3073
Profile Homepage #147
quote:

quote:
Originally written by 4614 and 4808:

quote:
*frowns*

I was just playing through E3 again and noticed it. I always thought it was Monroe, too.

I'm glad some people still play E3. Even though this is an Avernum related topic, I was still researching Monoroe (still came up with believable answers). I don't have any of the Avernum's as I see them as a waste of money, they are Exile.

--------------------
I am the way into the doleful city
I am the way into eternal grief,
I am the way to a foresaken race.
Justice it was that moved my great creator;
Divine omnipotence created me,
And highest wisdom joined with primal love.
Before me nothing but eternal things
Were made, and I shall last eternally
Abandon all hope, all you who enter.

Warrior
Member # 3870
Profile Homepage #148
I remember Prazac (deliberately?) makes the Empire evolve into a semi-democratic bureaucracy leaving the monarch with little beyond ceremonial power. Of course some *cough*Arena*cough would have the Empire develop into an iron-fist regime again later on, but directly after A/E3, it is not. Also, it is generally assumed that the Exiles build their own cities on Valorim (hints point to Karnold Province) and take an active part in government. To have an Emperor exile them all again would be pretty tricky to fit with history.

Besides it would make it look like a cheap second rerun of the same story.

"Avernum Episode MCCXIV: The Avernites are Exiled Once Again."

--------------------
"Toleration is not the opposite of intoleration, but is the counterfeit of it. Both are despotisms. The one assumes to itself the right of withholding liberty of conscience, and the other of granting it."
---Thomas Paine

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #149
quote:
Originally written by I Am A Puppet Account:
Besides it would make it look like a cheap second rerun of the same story.
Not that that would stop Jeff, really. (See the Avernum Trilogy as evidence.)

My guess is that A4 is the vahnatai coming back and fighting the Empire again. Jeff just might do the same thing as every bad BoE scenario and use Rentar-Ihrno as a main character with the same bad effects.

It would be interesting to get the BoA community to rate A4 when it comes out as if it were a BoA scenario. I bet it would get an 8+ rating. Come to think of it, it would be interesting to see such ratings for the other Avernum games, too.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00

Pages