We know about Geneforge 3...but what's next?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: We know about Geneforge 3...but what's next?
Warrior
Member # 1345
Profile Homepage #0
I'm sure someone has discussed this before, but does anyone have any idea of what the 'other' game might be that SW is looking at developing, now that the Avernum series has wrapped up with BoA, they are working on Geneforge 3 and have hinted on another game?

I have absolutely no idea what the other game might be. It should be fun trying to guess what'll happen next. any ideas? hmm...maybe a futuristic fantasy world. or maybe not fantasy as we know it. might be something completely different.

or how about... Blades of Geneforge! :P

--------------------
If that hamster croaks, we'll actually have to negotiate with the henchmen's union!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
A Blades of Geneforge is a definite possibility. Beyond that, I can't really speculate.

--------------------
I'd be tender, I'd be gentle
And awful sentimental
Regarding love and art
I'd be friends with the sparrows
And the boy who shoots the arrows,
If I only had a heart.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Ah, yes, the familiar topic. Well, BoG is not out of the question, although I don't think we'll see it for a bit (because of Jeff's comment here to the effect that we won't see it for two or three years). Assuming that GF3 gets done in less than two years, that means we'll see another game in between.

As I am fond of stating, apparently, I'd like to see something more done with the Nethergate concept, like the Aztec idea over in this topic. Jeff himself said he might do an Avernum 4, but I think this is a bad idea, for reasons I listed in an older version of this topic.

Gah, this has been done too much. I will say no more.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #3
I don't think we'll see an Avernum 4. Jeff always used to bring up the "if I have to wake up to the thought of designing the Tower Of Magi for a 4th time, I'll kill myself" excuse when he was pestered for an Exile IV, so I don't think his outlook will have changed much.

As for a truely NEW game, as in, not a continuation of a previous story line, THAT'D ROCK! I remember when Geneforge came out, I was all "ewww" (probably cause it ran shabby on my 601 PPC). But now that I think of it? A truely new game would be sweet.

Jeff came up with a killer concept with the Exile series, 10 to 1 says he can do it again.

Md.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #4
I'd like to see something entirely new as well.

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #5
Maybe this would take away from the charm of his games, but I'd like to see him do something where motion is a little more fluid, and NPCs/monsters could move around on their own without the player having to enter a command, a la "Dragon Warrior" series or the old skool "Final Fantasy" games for NES/SNES.

I'm not a programmer, so I'm not certain how much work this would take (I'm sure it would be a lot), but I imagine it would involve coordinating the movement of other objects with a timer, as opposed to cueing it on every input by the player, as well as adding "movement" graphics, which would be a little more work. I have no idea how to make the motion across the field fluid-looking, however.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Geneforge has that kind of fluid motion. The combat goes back to turn based, but so do Final Fantasy and Dragon Warriors. And I have enough trouble with real-time wandering, personally. Real-time combat would kill me.

I'm still happy with the Avernum engine. I prefer it to Geneforge, actually. What I really want to see is a new game with a new and original plot. Avernum is fun, but it isn't terribly original. Geneforge is much better in that department. Now Jeff should see if he can't take it a step further.

—Alorael, who is also still hoping for SubTerra and Leylines for Mac some day. Everyone must poke Radiant once in a while until he does it or snaps and kills someone.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #7
Hmm... I'll have to give Geneforge a go!
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #8
You want fluid turn-based? Look into Fallout. It's an amazing game, bears a peculiar resemblance to Geneforge without the Pokemon, and is very smooth in spite of being based on turns and hexes.

--------------------
They want to have a war to keep their factories
They want to have a war to keep us on our knees
They want to have a war to stop us buying Japanese
They want to have a war to stop industrial disease
They're pointing out the enemy to keep you deaf and blind
They want to suck your energy, incarcerate your mind
Give you Rule Brittania, gassy beer, page three
Two weeks in Hispania and sunday striptease
Meanwhile, the first Jesus says, "I'll cure it soon
Abolish Monday mornings and Friday afternoons"
The other one's out on hunger strike, he's dying by degrees
How come Jesus gets industrial disease?

Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #9
no, RPG's are better turn based than real time. It defeats the purpase of an RPG when battle is real time.

--------------------
-Sylak, the inadvertant killer of threads
Warrior
Member # 4414
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Borg:

no, RPG's are better turn based than real time. It defeats the purpase of an RPG when battle is real time.
The "purpose" of an RPG is roleplaying. RPGs are RolePlaying Games. Whether it is real-time or turn based should depend on how many "roles" you are playing. Turn based combat is meant to simulate numerous characters acting at the same moment. If you are only playing the "role" of a single character, then real-time combat can be quite appropriate.

[ Thursday, June 03, 2004 18:30: Message edited by: Cavanoskus ]

--------------------
AIM: Cavanoskus

My Homepage
The Wildlife Research Team
SnakeNetMetalRadio

"We, who are about to die, salute you."
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #11
Fallout is the best game ever written. If I had a tenth of the talent of any given member of that team, I would be a justifiably proud man.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #12
I, too, desire something entirely new. Alec's idea (in an earlier thread) of an RPG based in the Indian subcontinent was a concept I found especially appealing. The Aztec/Conquistador idea is a fine one as well.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #13
An Indian RPG would be awesome. The Hindu pantheon is much richer than any other on earth. It'd have to be well thought out, though, or else you'd get the Final Fantasy problem of casting Shiva as an ice goddess.

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #14
The real time v. turn-based combat argument is an old one, and like Mac v. PC, it's mainly a matter of preference. I personally like both, provided they're well executed. I thought that the Infinity Engine games (BG, BG2, IWD, IWD2, Planescape: Torment, the last of which Mac users are very unfortunate to have missed out on) were all very well done in terms of RT combat, mainly on account of the ability to pause combat to supply new commands. The S.P.E.C.I.A.L. engine used in the Fallout series likewise was great for TB combat, though to be honest, I did get a bit annoyed if I tried to take on too many enemies at once, but that just goes to show that you shouldn't run into a base and try to take out the slave master with one kick to the back of the head. :)

I lament the passing of Black Isle Studios, and hope that my boy J.E. Sawyer finds another place to start making RPGs again before too long.

Out of combat, I do prefer fluid motion, mainly for asthetic reasons.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3801
Profile Homepage #15
I think SW should make a good RPG game that's all magic based. Warrior classes are aways boring for me, and I can never get enough magic. I also like that Final Fantasy - type game idea.

--------------------
Only the insane equate pain with success.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #16
The Final Fantasy series is the worst thing to have happened to the RPG genre in its long history. Thanks mostly to its influence, the genre is loaded down with a choking number of atavisms and unnecessary catches. It also attracts all sorts of gibbering idiots who think FF was the best thing since sliced bread and who are willing to pay for games like FF. This encourages an attitude where big-house games thrive, because they are pretty and well-designed and meaningless.

In other words, thanks to our beloved FF, it can be said that the RPG is the province of the faceless corporation. Any plot is a 'bonus', and gameplay, too, is used the same way. It just has to be pretty. Pretty makes you your millions.

[ Friday, June 04, 2004 11:40: Message edited by: General Custer ]

--------------------

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #17
quote:
The Final Fantasy series is the worst thing to have happened to the RPG genre in its long history... It also attracts all sorts of gibbering idiots who think FF was the best thing since sliced bread and who are willing to pay for games like FF. This encourages an attitude where big-house games thrive, because they are pretty and well-designed and meaningless.

I disagree for the following reasons:

1.) The computer/console RPG history is short. Early computer games were VERY basic in nature, and early console games were Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior.

2.) The FF series helped make the genre accessible to players who otherwise wouldn't be interested in any sort of RPG, creating a bridge for these players to find that they do enjoy more traditional RPGs. More interest in the genre = more revenue = more games. I'm grateful that there is interest in games like the Final Fantasy series because it means that while lots of firms may try to duplicate its success, they're also more willing to give other more unorthodox and intricate games a go that they otherwise would not, because they know there's a market for RPGs. Imagine if instead of games like the FF series everyone was solely interested in Tekken, Street Fighter, etc. - RPGs in those circumstances probably wouldn't see the light of day. Little-house games get a chance because the big-house games exist.

3.) Widespread acceptance of FF series = more tolerance/acceptance of RPG genre in general = I'm less of a dork in society. :)

I personally like the FF series because a.) it's familiar, b.) it's pretty, and c.) I think those Japanese folks drum up pretty interesting stories. I look at them more as interactive stories than true RPGs, and so what jades me is when a poorly thought out system (combat, character development) gets in the way.

Please bear in mind that I am not advocating a FF-style game from Jeff - the old school Gold Box-style games he's developed rule - I just like fluid motion of sprites. :)

[ Friday, June 04, 2004 12:54: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #18
I dislike FF because it started the tradition of the gaming empire in the RPG business. Nowadays a game really can't sell unless it is damn good -- I am willing to admit Vogel's games are -- or really flashy. When you're a big company, 'damn good' is more expensive than 'really flashy'.

--------------------

Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #19
Oh, horping balls. Final Fantasy is not a roleplaying game, it's an interactive movie. In none of them do you establish or develop your own character; differing paths are trivial and mostly useless.
Final Fantasy's greatest ill is that it's convinced a bunch of drooling Japanophiles that statistics are the primary constituent of a role-playing game.

--------------------
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #20
True, but money will always be the limiting factor in everything in life. :( On the other hand, it shows how rare a talent coming up with good content really is. A job as an inventor or writer will never be outsourceable. :)

Great Scott!!! It's six o'clock! I've been at work a half-hour past quitin' time. Gotta run. See y'all! :)

[ Friday, June 04, 2004 13:01: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
Back to the original topic of this thread, Jeff sure is being mysterious about this new game. I just read the SW front page for the first time in a while, and noticed this (which is presumably what sparked fallen_avatar to post this topic in the first place):

quote:
We are poking around at two new products now. One will be Geneforge 3, which we've already started coding. The other, we don't want to say much about yet.
I wonder why they don't want to say much about it. But then, that's why I am an ignorant n00b non-programmer type.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #22
I consider proper RPGs to have begun with Goldenaxe. I also consider this and Streets of Rage to be masterpieces which it should be a crime not to play through at least 5 times.

--------------------
"I particularly like the part where he claims not to know what self-aggrandisement means, then demands more wing-wongs up his virgin ass"
BANNED
Member # 3688
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

Final Fantasy's greatest ill is that it's convinced a bunch of drooling Japanophiles that statistics are the primary constituent of a role-playing game.
Hmm...now that you mention it I wouldn't mind seeing an RPG without statistics, or at least without leveling up. Work on the roleplaying aspect of it more maybe, or adventure game aspect of it.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
Those are called graphical adventures. They're a dying breed now, but they used to be quite popular. Sierra made its name publishing them.

--------------------
I'd be tender, I'd be gentle
And awful sentimental
Regarding love and art
I'd be friends with the sparrows
And the boy who shoots the arrows,
If I only had a heart.

Pages