We know about Geneforge 3...but what's next?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: We know about Geneforge 3...but what's next?
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

ADOM is a piece of crap and I hope the guy who made it burns in an eternity of hells.

Nethack, on the other hand, does have sufficient roleplaying elements to pass for an RPG. Specifically, the whole piety issue and the alignments (Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic).

Umm, what are you talking about? ADOM has alignments and piety more than Nethack. And in ADOM, unlike Nethack, your actions have an actual effect on your alignment in a normal game. In Nethack a lawful character can lie, murder and steal, and any effect of this is negligible.

And ADOM's piety does a lot more than Nethack's prayer timeout and god anger.

Nethack and ADOM are both great games, but ADOM is much more RPG-like (although still not very)

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
BoA BetterEditor for MacOS X
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #51
Yes, indeed, Fred Pohl's Gateway and Gateway 2 are two of the best games I've played. And that is saying something, I've played a heck of a lot of games.

However, I would like to point out, that in fact, laziness is always an excuse. IMAGE(biggrin1.gif)

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Apprentice
Member # 4398
Profile Homepage #52
Graphic adventure games are not dying, Evolving. The Kings Quest series was given a massive face lift with the fifth installment, Kings Quest V, Mask of Eternity. And, while I've not actually played through it... which if funny, cause I always play through even the longest of games I buy, what I saw before I was distracted by something shiny (could have been a final fantasy game IMAGE(wink0001.gif) ) was pretty darn good. The Quest for Glory series has some die hard fans as well, but as you said, they are far and few between. I've only played the fifth QfG myself, and I thought Dragonfire was not as serious a game as I would like to see made out of that series.

As for all this controversy over which rpg/adventure/textbased game started or was the best origional rpg, hey, they all lent something good to the genre.

And anyone remember a game that was sorta an rpg/adventure game... type thing. Ok, I'm 19, and i played this when I was a kid on my first computer, back when i was... like 10 or 11 I think. Anyways, you made a party, you went around and did stuff. OH ! You could pickpocket or bard in taverns for extra money, and if you got caught they would throw you out, or if you were terrible with your instrument they would kick you out. There was also this cloaked "grim reaper" type enemy that could only be killed with magic. and if you took a boat there was a chance of getting attacked by a giant squid or something. and in the north ... umm, north eastern part of the world map when you traveled there you would get the warning thing that was like a skull on stake...

And it wasn't Betrayal at Krondor. I have that one too, great game.

[ Wednesday, June 09, 2004 05:11: Message edited by: Mordrith ]

--------------------
Part of a shot contest is knowing when to say "Yeah, I'm done", and not yelling "Frrreeedom !" like William Wallace instead.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #53
QfG5:Dragonfire was an ENORMOUS letdown, mainly because Sierra at that time was in serious trouble, and so the developers had the funding cut from under them. Rather than give up on the effort completely (as Black Isle Studios has with Fallout 3 and an unnamed Forgotten Realms game) they put out a half-baked effort that incorporated neither the true 3-D environment nor multiplayer option originally promised.

The rest of the series yielded mixed results, but the remake of QfG1 was pretty solid and QfG3 was good fun. QfG2, without the benefit of a VGA rebuild and conversion of the type interface to point-and-click made for a more frustrating than fun experience. QfG4 ruled the world. I can still remember installing it onto my 486DX 33 with about 16 floppies, and running it off a boot disk - those were the days! A very well thought out game, with interesting characters, a reasonable combat system, and a wonderful setting (Transylvani-esque).

[ Wednesday, June 09, 2004 08:58: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
I don't think we'll see an Avernum 4. Jeff always used to bring up the "if I have to wake up to the thought of designing the Tower Of Magi for a 4th time, I'll kill myself" excuse when he was pestered for an Exile IV, so I don't think his outlook will have changed much.

If this is true, then he designed the Tower of Magi not one more time, but three more times, with the Avernum games! IMAGE(tongue02.gif)

--------------------
Visit the BoA Center!
Blades of Avernum Center
Your Avernum Design Haven
Brand new and powerful forum! Check it out now!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #55
Za-Khazi Run, in BoE, had a ToM first.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #56
Which would make a nice round number of seven... unless you don't count a ported tower as full design. I suppose Jeff didn't make the Avernum ones from scratch, no? IMAGE(biggrin1.gif)

[ Sunday, July 04, 2004 12:02: Message edited by: Old Aran ]

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #57
I think he did. The tower I went to in A3 was drastically different from the E3 one.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #58
quote:
Originally written by Arctic gives me:

quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

ADOM is a piece of crap and I hope the guy who made it burns in an eternity of hells.

Nethack, on the other hand, does have sufficient roleplaying elements to pass for an RPG. Specifically, the whole piety issue and the alignments (Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic).

Umm, what are you talking about? ADOM has alignments and piety more than Nethack. And in ADOM, unlike Nethack, your actions have an actual effect on your alignment in a normal game. In Nethack a lawful character can lie, murder and steal, and any effect of this is negligible.

And ADOM's piety does a lot more than Nethack's prayer timeout and god anger.

Nethack and ADOM are both great games, but ADOM is much more RPG-like (although still not very)

I didn't say ADOM wasn't RPG-like; it is more so than Nethack. It just sucks.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #59
I enjoy FF games- bought 7, pirated 4-6 (but you didn't hear that from me). But they are full of dire flaws. For now, let's cover gameplay.

It's a proven fact that BoE is one of the toughest RPGs out there. The Exiles/Avernum aren't ENTIRELY flawed in this respect, but aren't much better. In FF games, you "level up" and equip the proper espers/materia/guardian forces/etc. until Sephiroth/Golbeze/Exdeath is no longer a serious threat. At that point, though, all combat becomes is an excuse for using your pre-fabricated parties. There's nothing in the actual combat other than getting lucky and pounding the enemy with W-Summon, Knights of the Round.

Every time pre-combat leveling is allowed, tactics are given a shorter and shorter end of the straw. An Apology's acclaimed Rune Battle is made infinitely better by the fact that you can't "level up" before busting into K's chambers- you're forced into K's chambers, and you fight in a given situation. You have to make real choices- Should I Goo the Hordling, or should I Wound the rune again? In FF games, those pivotal choices aren't given.

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Streila Spies
Unbalanced Accounts
Inn of Blades
Echoes
Echoes: Assault
Echoes: Black Horse
Echoes: Pawns
Bandits
Echoes: Combat/Skirmish
Two Strands
Bandits II: Ballad of the Red Star
Roses of Reckoning (BoE)
Corporeus
The Claim
Roses of Reckoning (BoA)
Nebulous Times Hence
Emerald Mountain
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #60
Well, the Avernum engine is stable, but it is far from perfect. There are many features and enchancements that would just make sense. I think the old turn system needs to be revamped somehow. Unfortunately, most turn-based games I've played are in the likeness of FF, and they get way too redundant for me.

I have a feeling he is going to really expand the AVernum engine for the next game.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
BANNED
Member # 3688
Profile #61
Yeah, has anyone played Temple of Elemental Evil? I thought the turn based combat in that was really good, maybe if Jeff did something like that.
Infiltrator
Member # 760
Profile #62
Just found this:
RPG Vault BoA Wrap Report by Jeff
In that page there is this:
quote:
Should we make an Avernum 4 (which is likely), the engine will be sparkly and new.
So it is likely that Jeff will make Avernum 4..
Discuss.... IMAGE(tongue02.gif)

[ Thursday, July 08, 2004 01:34: Message edited by: Wizard ]

--------------------
"The Darkness Shall Return!"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #63
Well, it's good to hear that Jeff will be porting Exile 4: At the Gallows, but really, shouldn't he leave that up to Stareye? IMAGE(tongue02.gif)

Really, though, this is a bit unsettling. An Avernum 4 would have no choice but to give more history and more background and more storyline that would affect Blades scenarios. I thought that the whole point of designing Blades was to bequeath Exile and then Avernum to us, the players who loved this world, so that we can control it. By making an A4, he would be affecting some of our creative control...

And I imagine that we would be affecting his, too. If he makes a full new engine for A4, and if he writes all of GF3 first, then it will probably take him at least a year and a half to release A4, and by then, several scenarios will have been designed, including some big ones. The BoA community will have inserted more history and more background into the Avernum world, and while it was sort of possible for him to ignore what the BoE-ers had done while making the Avernums, because it was kind of a different world, it would be weird to ignore what the BoA-ers will have done while he's making A4.

So unless he's planning to be an avid BoA player, this will come out strangely.

It was good to read that interview, though. I felt that he had a change of heart somewhere along the line and that he's not going to treat BoA quite the same way as he treated BoE, but it's good to hear that he said this openly. Maybe Alcritas will forgive him, now.

Err, well, here's hoping, anyway :rolleyes:

EDIT: Forgot to say that some part of me DROOLS at the concept of another game like A3. That game was FUN. But A4 would have to be even bigger!

[ Thursday, July 08, 2004 09:07: Message edited by: Just Call Me Kel ]

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #64
Well, anyways, there might be enough conflicts within the body of work that the scenario design community puts out to make the types of conflict Kelandon is worried about into a moot point.
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #65
I love the FF games, but mostly because of the stories. But lets just forget about FF now, this topic is about the next spiderweb game.
Im for a completely new story, and new gameplay.
A new Avernum would be idiotic.
So lets forget about FF now... EVERYONE WHO THINK THE SNES FF'S IS BEST SAY YAY!!!1!1!!oneoneimafanboy
Sorry. IMAGE(redface0.gif)

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
for the holy town of gods
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #66
Well, haven't played any FFs but the ones that came out on PC, but I don't see much surpassing 7, that was a GREAT game... Probably the only big-time commercial game as good as the SW ones. Of course, 8 wasn't quite that good, but I still liked it a lot.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I've never played Gateway, but that it is a damn good book (by, you guessed it, Frederick Pohl) and I recommend it to anyone. Oh, and btw, Betrayal at Krondor was also based on a book, but I would definitely get one of the Magician books before that one; they're much better.

[ Thursday, July 08, 2004 17:44: Message edited by: Prophet_of_Doom ]
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #67
I haven't read anything in this topic so far, but here's my 2 cents:

Ancient Greece. RPG. Avernum engine? Works for me.

--------------------
Better to die for something, than live for nothing.
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #68
As I said over in BoA, Vogel would have to be a total, slobbery, incompetent idiot to make Avernum 4.

So it'll be out pretty soon, I figure.

Also, my prediction is that it's just going to be a NEW FANCY Stop Rentar. Vogel has the storywriting skills of an overactive nine-year-old.

[ Thursday, July 08, 2004 18:39: Message edited by: Andrea ]

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #69
I disagree, biatch.

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #70
I doubt he's really considering an "Avernum 4," he's probably just going to make a game with an engine based off of the trilogy, except with 'sparkly' enhancements.

--------------------
What do I put here?
-Garrison
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #71
No one really cares if you approve or not, STD, not at least when you do it in such a manner as you just have.

You could at least *try* to tell WHY you disagree, instead of breaking the CoC in a way that's so dull that it makes me (amongst many others, I presume) want to stab you in the face with a chainsaw.

[ Friday, July 09, 2004 09:40: Message edited by: Tristrana of the Misterhood ]

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Shock Trooper
Member # 3022
Profile #72
quote:
Originally written by Tristrana of the Misterhood:

You could at least *try* to tell WHY you disagree, instead of breaking the CoC in a way that's so dull that it makes me (amongst many others, I presume) want to stab you in the face with a chainsaw.
quote:
Vogel has the storywriting skills of an overactive nine-year-old.
It is kinda hard to explain WHY Vogel isn't an overactive nine-year-old-esque storywriter, other than to simply say, well... he isn't nine years old.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4445
Profile #73
For what's its worth, I, for one, would love to see an Avernum 4. But, I think it would work best either far in the future, or far in the past. One think I would like to see is a game set in Ermarian, but without a monolithic political institution. Some more intrigue, with wars and diplomacy, would be great. I don't think that the 1st party sent would make a very good game, exploring caves populated with nothing but hostile creatures, demons or no, would get very boring, very quickly (unless you were thrust into interesting Slith politics, which would rule).

[ Friday, July 09, 2004 10:11: Message edited by: Prophet_of_Doom ]
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #74
Too influenced by desp TGM...

Vogel does not have the storywriting skills of a nine year old because:
1: He is not 9 years old.
2: The world of Avernum and the surface and all that is pretty interesting.
3: He has some very cool ideas, like the vanatahi.
4: He is cool.

Happy now TGM?
I want to stab you in the face with a chainsaw too baby IMAGE(wink0001.gif)

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849

Pages