Hello there everyone....what game are you playing now?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hello there everyone....what game are you playing now?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #25
The War of the Flowers - Tad Williams.

I like his books a lot, although there's very little similarity among them in terms of plot material.

—Alorael, who was also highly impressed by the fact that he runs another UBB where many members have over ten thousand posts and one has over 25,000. There's also a fourteen page topic in which only one member posted...
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #26
I just finished reading 'Feast of Fools' and 'The amazing Maurice and his educated rodents'
Now I'm re-reading practically all the books I own which is alot.

--------------------
...a sadist is only someone that is terribly nice to a masochist...

Want to find out how nasty you really are? visit:http://www.thespark.com/ now!

Also look at my site here
This is also a
good site
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #27
Yaahh!...at last an great topic! I simply have tell you all of my favourite writers!
There´s a couple of writers that I praise over all else. Tad Williams, Stephen King and Terry Pratchett. I simply love all theses (in and natural and healthy way of course!). Williams "Otherworld series" are probably the greatest sf-literacy in the world, and King´s story about Roland the gunslinger is not bad either. Terry Pratchett is...well, what can I say? Great? Greater? Greatest? Well, maybe not quite but he comes so close to perfection that it is impossible to make any difference, anyway. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Hello there everyone____what game are you playing now (2)_files/tongue.gif)
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #28
I'm reading Gerald Seymour at the moment. One of my regular customers came in and gave me a load of his old books, which included Gerald Seymour.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Infiltrator
Member # 2445
Profile #29
God, I'm sick of all the movie topics around here. I never watch movies as the prices here in Toronto are outrageous and I threw out my TV. Good on you, whoever started this topic! Finally, something I can relate to! Not that I'm a literary type or anything. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Hello there everyone____what game are you playing now (2)_files/tongue.gif)

*waves back at RoR*

--------------------
Aces off.
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #30
Ok, I'm reading A Wreath Of Stars, which is one of Bob Shaw's lesser novels (I thought Other Days, Other Eyes was pretty damn cool, and Nightwalk tops even it).

But the author I'm reading at the moment is Dave Duncan. I've been hooked on him since one of my friends gave me Upland Outlaws (book 2 of A Handful Of Men) back in 2000. He's originally from somewhere in Britain, but he moved to Canada and became a manager of a petrochemical plant or something. Now he's an author - and a DAMN good one at that.

The cutting humour he uses in his books, and the vividness with which he describes his characters and the worlds they live in is so great that when I think back to scenes in the book, I'd swear that I'd watched it as full-colour cinema. And don't get me wrong, he doesn't use lengthy Tolkien-esque descriptions either, everything is precise and highly polished (unlike - and I know I'm going to make enemies here - Eddings etc).

Ok, so I liked the Belgariad, and the Mallorean was basically the Belgariad mk2, but seriously! It's just too damn bland sometimes. You should check out the system of magic (ie The Will And The Word) used in some of Duncan's books! It's FULL ON.

Anyway, enough harping from me, if you like Eddings, you'll think Duncan is his superior within 5 pages - trust me.

Md.

Oh yeah, Duncan has a similar bent on humour as Vogel too.
Warrior
Member # 2978
Profile #31
Well I'm done reading The Fires of Heaven, can anyone guess what I'm reading now?

My two favourite authors are Robert Jordan and Ursula Le Guin, but I also like Katherine Kerr, Anne McCaffrey and Douglas Adams a lot.

--------------------
Contradictions get me everything I want.
Love is all. Love is Evil.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #32
Majordomo, does that mean Eddings plagiarized from Duncan, or vice versa? Because I know that the Will and the Word is the magic used by Eddings' characters, and you just said it was used in Duncan's books too...

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #33
Ooh, how intresting! I'm reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, mainly cos I got to for an English project.

I really like the Pratchett books and I liked the Douglas Adams books when I remembered what they were all about (they were a bit weird though... 42? IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Hello there everyone____what game are you playing now (2)_files/rolleyes.gif) )

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Apprentice
Member # 3286
Profile #34
I'm reading "Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook" by Scott Adams.

--------------------
Marty- tormentor of all the poor unfortunate few who really believe they are sane.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #35
Dang! I don't know any of the book titles mentioned or the authors. I have heard of Frankenstein, thank goodness. And Stephen King.

Well so much for anyone who happens to read anything associated with mysteries. No one here reads anything associated with Sherlock Holmes or any mystery I have ever heard of.

Still, movies aren't all that bad. They may be cheaper in America, but they aren't getting any better. The good age of movies died out in the late 1990s.

I think think I will start a movie topic. Despite the criticism of it. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Hello there everyone____what game are you playing now (2)_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #36
My friend and I went to see LXG together, and we decided afterwards that we would figure out which books each of the six League members and the villain were from and read them all by next summer. I was one-up on him, because I'd already read "The Picture of Dorian Gray," but I'll still have to read "Dracula," "The Invisible Man," "King Solomon's Mines," "Tom Sawyer" (I think I read that once, but I'm not sure,) "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and whichever Sherlock Holmes books Moriarty is in.

Anyone read any of those? Comments?

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Majordomo, does that mean Eddings plagiarized from Duncan, or vice versa?
I was wondering if someone would say that - just goes to show people actually do read posts before slapping their own in. Anyway, yeah, I was just using The Will And The Word as an example of a magic system. Looking back, I probably would've thought what you did too reading my post.

Dave Duncan has a crazy Words Of Power system. Works really well and fits in with the world he created perfectly.

Md.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #38
I can think of one Sherlock Holmes story that contains Professor Moriarty. I believe it is called the The Adventure of the Empty House or something like that.

I will try to find more for you.

Another story containing Professor Moriarty is called The Final Problem. That is the one where Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson go into hiding from Professor Moriarty and they both supposedly meet their end at the Richenbach Falls. With Dr. Watson being left to tell the story.

I suggest reading these books and, if possible, go to a libray and borrow out the stories on cassette tapes as well.

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Shock Trooper
Member # 1217
Profile Homepage #39
So far this summer, I have read the following books: Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix by J.K. Rowling, Dragonsdawn by Anne Maccaffrey, Artemis Fowl by Eion Colfer, Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot and Other Observations by Al Franken, The Joy of Work by Scott Adams, and since school will be starting soon, I am planning to read The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkein, as well as others.

--------------------
ALBATROSS!!!
-John Cleese
!!!Long live Monty Python!!!

Not a Chance!

Long Live The Weather Balloons!
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #40
I just finished The Runaway Jury by John Grisham.

--------------------
The Club of All
Chance Forums
I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count=406+whatever it says below.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #41
Funny Izzanor, most of those are my favorite books as well. I only like Dragonsdawn from the Pern series though. They're too disconnected to really be one storyline (400-800 years between each I think). But the first one is cool...

And Eoin (sp?) Colfer is a really cool, brand-new author. Hope he writes more Fowl stuff. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Hello there everyone____what game are you playing now (2)_files/wink.gif)

Oh, btw, have you read the Lord of the Rings already, or will you read the Hobbit first?

[ Friday, August 29, 2003 13:11: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #42
Over the summer I read: Harry Potter 5, The Darksword Trillogy, various Fox Trot and Dilbert books, Lord of the Flies *shudder*- I had to answer about 50 questions on it before school started and then write an essay, Slaves of the Mastery, The Wizard Hunters and The Death of the Necromancer(for the 3rd time). Now I'm reading The Gilded Chain and various stories in me English book. I hope you enjoyed my thourghy boring list of books.

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it.

Delierious?
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #43
Blech! I had to read Lord of the Flies too. A slightly disturbing book. Although, it is kind of interesting to read some reviews on it. If viewed politically as malevolant dictator (Jack) vs. democracy (Ralph), it is actually kind of interesting. I also found it interesting that "Lord of the Flies" is a translation of beelzebub (Satan).

--------------------
Need a pet? Need cheap labor? Buy a Moose!

Take the Personality Test! INTJ 78% 33% 44% 22%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #44
Eric Flint and K.D. Wentworth's 'The Course of Empire'
Have recently finished the first half of John Ringo's 'There Will be Dragons' and am waiting for Webscriptions to post the next quarter.
Re-reading David Weber's 'Oath of Swords' again.
(And wondering when the third book in the series will be published.)
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #45
Okay, I am now annoyed with my browser. Will a mod please delete this post?

[ Friday, August 29, 2003 18:36: Message edited by: Namothil ]
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #46
quote:
Originally written by martpender:

I'm reading "Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook" by Scott Adams.
IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Hello there everyone____what game are you playing now (2)_files/frown.gif) I don't have that one.. I have
Dilbert and the way of the future,
and the way of the weasel,
and the joy of work,
The dilbert principle.

--------------------
CMS for PHP/MySQL Supporting Webservers
The Automated Ad-Free Horizontal-Scrollbar-Proof Blades of Avernum Script Archive
Shock Trooper
Member # 1217
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Funny Izzanor, most of those are my favorite books as well. I only like Dragonsdawn from the Pern series though. They're too disconnected to really be one storyline (400-800 years between each I think). But the first one is cool...

And Eoin (sp?) Colfer is a really cool, brand-new author. Hope he writes more Fowl stuff. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards Hello there everyone____what game are you playing now (2)_files/wink.gif)

Oh, btw, have you read the Lord of the Rings already, or will you read the Hobbit first?

It's kinda funny how much we have in common, isn't it, Aran? I havn't actually read the LoTR trilogy yet, but I've seen both movies so far and plan to read them and see what the movies left out, and my class got "The Hobbit" to us last year and I'm reading it to see what was missed when he read it.

--------------------
ALBATROSS!!!
-John Cleese
!!!Long live Monty Python!!!

Not a Chance!

Long Live The Weather Balloons!
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #48
I hadf to write about 'Lord of the Flies'--and all of Golding's later turgid works ('The Paper Men' - yuk!)--for my Lit degree. It always amazes me that such a clever writer should be such a stupid human being.
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #49
I prefer Battle Royale to Lord of the Flies. Battle Royale is much darker and has no saviour at the end.

--------------------
I am not really here.

Pages