Nethergate News

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Nethergate News
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #25
The reworked Nethergate would use the same engine, just beefed up. Probably Avernum style dialogue (this would take some time). Some new content. Interface and game system improvements. The interface would likely look a lot like Avernum's in the end.

A lot of the major encounters would be reworked to be more in the current style (multi-phase encounters with adds and other special abilities). And the game would be rebalanced to make it more challenging at the end (something I have long felt is a major flaw in the game).

The update would most likely be $10 for registered users. In addition to the general, overall reworking, there would probably one decently sized dungeon for each side (one for Romans, one for Celts).

All of this, is, of course, at least 9 months in the future and subject to drastic change.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #26
Wow. I like what I hear.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
Hmm. Well, based on what you've said so far, I'd seriously consider shelling out 10 clams for that update.

... and I just realised I made a completely unintentional and fairly awful pun in that sentence. I mean, I don't even have to try any more. It's like I've attained a state of pun satori.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #28
I'm not seeing flashes of puns. I'm seeing constant puns. You, my friend, have achieved pun nirvana.

—Alorael, who would be happy to purchase whatever form of Nethergate runs in OS X.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #29
Hmm. I am not opposed to any of that (except perhaps the dialogue change — Nethergate's dialogue system had a certain charm, but I guess I can just play BoE to my heart's content in that regard).

I'd pay $10 for it, I think.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #30
Sounds very good to me. I preferred the Ask About and keyword talking interface though. I can live with that, but the rest of the changes sound really cool. I would definitely be willing to pay $10 for that.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #31
Super.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #32
Sweet! Maybe I'll finally get to see what everyone thinks is so great about it. Seeing as how I never have played past the demo and that was years ago.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #33
It's very great now. You don't need to wait for the update to see how great it is. :P

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #34
Great. I'm really looking forward to the updated version. I actually want the Avernum style dialogue. (It's not my fault A2 was the first game I came across.)

And at the rate Dikiyoba plays, Dikiyoba should complete the demo at about the same time the updated version comes out.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #35
Honestly? This news demands i return my displayed name to what i used to have it at.

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #36
I have but one issue - resolution. I run a really awful old monitor that won't even run Av4. If Nethergate goes upto 106756770xWhatever, then I won't be able to play it, which would be bad...

If I had confirmation that it would run in 800x600, I'd pay the money now. In fact, I'd pay my $25 again.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #37
It will definitely be 800x600.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

It's very great now. You don't need to wait for the update to see how great it is. :P
No I'll wait until it's remade. I can't stand the size actual playing area.Though I do remember the demo was quite enjoyable back, what 5 years ago.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Warrior
Member # 6875
Profile Homepage #39
I'd totally be willing to pay the $10, just as soon as someone lends it to me. Anyone? >.>''

--------------------
Your mom's face! XD
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #40
Edit: Sorry, a friend of mine got on here and posted a rather crude post, so I deleted it. Sorry for the Spam.

[ Sunday, April 23, 2006 22:27: Message edited by: Inthrall ]

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
Warrior
Member # 6875
Profile Homepage #41
Hang him!!

--------------------
Your mom's face! XD
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #42
My computer didn't like BoA or A4; it would refuse to shut down if I played them. So I doubt I'll buy the updated version of Nethergate.

Too bad, though, because it sounds interesting.

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Apprentice
Member # 6108
Profile #43
This would be the best news of my life! I would love to see all the improvements and relish any new styles or dialogue. Of all the Spiderweb games I have played, Nethergate and A4 rank the highest in that order! Thanx Jeff! ;) :cool:

--------------------
Blessed Be,
Morgaine
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #44
Yes. I am definitely an advocate of change if that change means an improvement in gameplay..

With that said..

Ohh, so get rid of that antiquated keyword dialogue system!

[ Tuesday, June 20, 2006 13:32: Message edited by: Lancer ]

--------------------
Lancer
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #45
quote:
This would be the best news of my life!
Really? What a boring life you have. :P

As for the dialogue system, some people liked the keyword system where you could type in your own word. Of course, it can be annoying too. But it's a toss up either way.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #46
I think the best dialogue system would have questions and keywords. That would be more like real life, I believe.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Nethergate is a great game and all, one of my favorite Spiderweb titles, but I'd rather see new material period. I've seen enough remakes for one decade.
I quite agree with that. Further more, I think nethergate looks very nice as it is (I just love these graphics).

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #48
quote:
Originally written by *i:

As for the dialogue system, some people liked the keyword system where you could type in your own word. Of course, it can be annoying too. But it's a toss up either way.[/QB]
I harbor an intense dislike of keyword dialogue systems after playing SNES Shadowrun. Plodding through endless lists of keywords one by one hoping to find the right one that would advance the conversation somehow, is not my idea of fun.

They are just atrocious in terms of gameplay. The only reason one would have them is for nostalgic reasons.

[ Wednesday, June 21, 2006 06:56: Message edited by: Lancer ]

--------------------
Lancer
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #49
quote:
Originally written by United States of Tyranica:

I think the best dialogue system would have questions and keywords. That would be more like real life, I believe.
Having complete sentences (or comprehensible phrases) and responded in turn via complete sentences is more like real life.

--------------------
Lancer

Pages