Nethergate News

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Nethergate News
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #0
quote:
From Jeff Vogel:
I have been asked if I am going to [Carbonize] Nethergate. The answer is that I actually want to do something more impressive to Nethergate. I want to put actual work into it, including new material, upgrading to 800x600 resolution, and making it look just generally nicer. This would take actual time, though, so I'm not sure when it'll happen.
—Alorael, who will burn wicker men in order to hasten the day.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
*drools*

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #2
This would be a truly wonderful thing. I didn't get that email from Jeff, Alo...was it a personal reply, or where did you get that info?

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items • [URL=http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000279#000006] The Lonely Celt
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
So he's Avernumizing Nethergate now? Huh. Wonder if registered users will have to pay again for the new version.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #4
Since Nethergate has always been my favorite, I'm bouncing off the walls with excitement! I think I will join with Alorael in the burning of wicker men.

quote:
upgrading to 800x600 resolution
Does he mean 1024x768? It's already at 800x600 isn't it?

One improvement I would love with Nethergate would be to fix the issue with Windows XP that displays the taskbar. When I first played it on 98, it covered the screen nicely, but with XP, the taskbar is still visible at the bottom, and with an 800x600 resolution, this leaves for less space to stick the automap. If he could put the automap over the equipment screen like in Avernum instead of as a free-floating window, I would love that. Right-click look functionality would be greatly appreciated as well.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

...but with XP, the taskbar is still visible at the bottom...
Right click on the task bar. Click on properties. Uncheck the box that says "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows".

It may also be a good idea to go into the Control Panel, and change the theme to 'Windows Classic'. I find that apart from saving on system resources, Nethergate looks better without the rounded corners that the 'Windows XP' theme bestows upon Nethergate's pop-ups.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
It doesn't sound like a total overhaul like Exile to Avernum, just a Nethergate Premium. And yes, Jeff says that upgrading from the regular version will probably entail a "nominal fee." I'd be willing to pay, and if enough people do maybe it will inspire another Nethergate-esque game.

—Alorael, who doesn't think too many wicker men will be useful. What's really needed now is some, um, volunteers. For the wicker man, you know. It's for a good cause!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by CPeters:

Right click on the task bar. Click on properties. Uncheck the box that says "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows".
I know that, but I don't want to have to do it every time I play Nethergate. I like the taskbar there when I'm not playing a fullscreen game. There is a way to do it too. I mean, the Avernum games take up the whole screen just fine.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #8
It's about time something new was done with Nethergate. It is some of his best work and yet it is barely ever talked about. Like someone said earlier, hopefully if enough people buy it then it will encourage Jeff to make Nethergate 2. I plan to purchase this just to encourage it.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #9
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

I know that, but I don't want to have to do it every time I play Nethergate. I like the taskbar there when I'm not playing a fullscreen game. There is a way to do it too. I mean, the Avernum games take up the whole screen just fine.
It is irritating, I know, but I have some other friendly suggestions:
You could try the "Auto-Hide the taskbar" option.Use the windows key to bring up the taskbar quickly.Run Nethergate at 1074x768 with the 'put game area in center' option turned off. You'll then have more than enough room to fit the map.Run Nethergate at 1074x768 - you can just fit the map to the left hand side whilst still leaving the HP and spell energy numbers visible.Break into Jeff's house, and perform Chinese water torture and/or hold him at gunpoint until he agrees to code Nethergate's automap to your tastes.Personally, I'd prefer the latter option. But Jeff has me peeved as of late. Forking over wads of cash on the proviso he update Nethergate might work too.
I would love to see a Nethergate 2. Hopefully Jeff will note that a few people hold the opinion that Nethergate was some of his best work.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #10
Another thing I hope for is that N2 will have a code to register it. Otherwise the shipping will be the thing that will be likely to stop people from outside the US from purchasing it.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
I think Nethergate was an experiment. If that registration had worked better, subsequent games would have stuck with it. They didn't, so I wouldn't expect them now.

—Alorael, who doesn't understand why Nethergate is CD only. The Blades download and CD is much more immediate gratification-oriented.
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

Otherwise the shipping will be the thing that will be likely to stop people from outside the US from purchasing it.
I do not think it will stop most people if they really want these games. I bought nearly all games on CD and I live in Austria. (middle Europe)

Alo, you wanted some volunteers?
I´ll build my own wicker slith with some slith thiefs in it. :D
I wonder if the wicker slith will be also fire-resistant. :confused:

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #13
Oh my god. if this means he is going to geneforgize nethergate, I'm going to faint. Its the last thing i want to happen, because i like Nethergate as it is. Oh my god, I was just thinking, what if he is also going to geneforgize avernum 1 2 and 3!?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
What, one remake per game isn't enough? :P

Seriously, though, if you don't like the new version if and when it comes out, you always have the option to stick with the original.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
yes, you're right about that. Phew, I was starting to get worried already he might screw everything up.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #16
You know what I am wondering, is if Jeff uses the most recent A4 engine to update Nethergate, will he reintroduce elevation into the engine? If he doesn't bother, Nethergate will lose much of its visual charm, along with some of its actual map.

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items • [URL=http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000279#000006] The Lonely Celt
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #17
Maybe I'm alone in this, but I understood Jeff's email to mean that he'll be taking the original Nethergate game with the original Nethergate engine and expanding it, making it look nicer, and not turning into Avernum or Geneforge.

—Alorael, who would be willing to pay a nominal fee for more Nethergate goodness. If that means you can catch a wish-granting fish, so much the better!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Novo Ordo RWum:

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I understood Jeff's email to mean that he'll be taking the original Nethergate game with the original Nethergate engine and expanding it, making it look nicer, and not turning into Avernum or Geneforge.
That's what I think too. I just wish the remake doesn't require me to pay again.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
Especially since it's going to a better resolution, but not A4's resolution. That suggests that it won't just be A4's engine.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #20
Nethergate is a great game and all, one of my favorite Spiderweb titles, but I'd rather see new material period. I've seen enough remakes for one decade.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
The amount of time invested is likely to be small. It's neither a new game nor a new engine. Just being able to play Nethergate without resorting to extraordinary measures when Classic is no longer supporter is worth the time and money.

—Alorael, who doubts that more remakes will be appearing soon. A4 begs for sequels and G4 is already on the radar. That's plenty of non-remake time.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #22
By non-remake I would like to see something totally new, but I guess we are stuck with our sagas for a long time.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #23
I think that a new Nethergate would make teh game more popular, and perhaps he would be able to finally reember the use of the puzzle box

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by Takeru Takashi:

I think that a new Nethergate would make teh game more popular, and perhaps he would be able to finally reember the use of the puzzle box
The key to the puzzle is figuring out that you can't do anything with it. Or, at least, that's what makes me feel better when I think about how I didn't solve said puzzle.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Pages