The Chosen Ending - Geneforge 5

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Chosen Ending - Geneforge 5
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #0
It has been awhile since Geneforge 4 came out for Mac, and it's about time to start pondering Geneforge 5.

First off, which ending do you think will be chosen? I doubt that either of the Rebel endings will be chosen, since they seem to just kill off the Shapers. However, both the Trako and Shaper endings would fit well with a continuing storyline(which I hope there wile be), with the Trako endings being a continuation of the war, and the Shaper ending sending it back to being a story of hidden rebellions.

There is a possibility of the Rebel ending however, the drayks and serviles both seem to hate the drakons, which does not bode well for them. But I still don't really see the Rebel ending being chosen.

I hope to see Khryk return once again..... I liked his presence in Geneforge 4. I also hope to see Agent Miranda and General Crowley again. They were both interesting characters and added a bit of a teast to the Shaper side.

I also hope we get to see the entire continent, instead of just the eastern portion. After clearing out Western Morass I was dissapointed to see that you couldn't get to the west with only a wooden wall stopping you.

What do you expect and want to see?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
The Shapers aren't wiped out in the Rebel ending; they just lose a lot of one continent. In fact, in the Rebel ending the Shapers fight back by relaxing their laws and making their own unbound creations. The war pretty much ends in a stalemate no matter what ending you choose.

(Regarding the Western Morass, what's stopping you from going further west isn't a wooden wall; it's a wooden wall and the Shaper army.)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #2
But then the Shapers stop being Shapers. Well, technichally they are still Shapers, but the whole Principle of being a Shaper is lost. They act exactly like the Drakons.

You could easily make one small hole and slip through. Stealth is the answer to the army. It shouldn't be that hard should it?

[ Sunday, January 21, 2007 16:45: Message edited by: Kyrek ]
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
Personally I would like to see a different direction from Geneforge 5. Since GF 2, we've been building up to the Shaper-Drakon war and GF 4 has seen it to fruition. Don't get me wrong, GF4 was great, but like the Avernum series, I feel a fresher storyline is needed at this point. Unlike the Avernum series, the plot isn't stale yet, I fear another Rebel vs. Shaper like conflict game would put us there.

Although this may be out on a limb, I would rather see a totally different game. Having a new universe to immerse myself in would be good since it's been a long time now.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #4
It might be a Trako vs. Drakons and Shapers War, although I'm not sure that the Trakos would stand a chance. Currently that's the best idea I can think of for a plot that's not Shapers vs. Drakons.

What about creations? With a war going for this long the two shaping sides will end up creating a couple of new creation types per year, if the stalemate continues. Although I'm not sure how Jeff would come up with any more creations, I was suprised enough he could come up with the Kyshaak, Wingbolt and War Trall.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #5
I agree with i*, though I bet that Jeff would find a way to make G5 interesting, I feel that you should stop while you are ahead, not end on a sour note. I mean really, if I saw another Geneforge I would like to see new creations, but at the same time I would question why it would take the Shapers hundreds of years to make those few basic war models yet crank out like 6 in a few years. We don't want another thing like G3 where most things are repeats.
I also realise that it is difficult to come up with a whole new game series. Not only in a creative sense, but that it will always be compared to his previous series. In any case, I don't expect to see a new game any time soon from Jeff, but when it comes out, I think the wait will be worth it.

Edit: grammer

[ Sunday, January 21, 2007 17:15: Message edited by: Retlaw May ]

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"When one fights a monster, one must take care not to become a monster oneself."
-Friedich Nietzche

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #6
They're at war, they have to adapt and fast. Also, they hone their minds so they can learn more easily, which would help with the new creations. Also, I don't see how you can end Geneforge now. All of the endings lead to a war, except the Shaper one, and that would be to boring.
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #7
Coming up with more creations should not be too difficult compared to writing an in-depth storyline. Using the Shaper ending would easily force the plot to go in a different direction. You might find it "boring" but I feel it opens up a lot more avenues than the others.

On the Shaper ending, my one disappointment is that I'd prefer if Ghaldring lives, because he has more character to be developed there after so much lead up in GF3. The endings can pick and choose from various fates and not be one particular ending but a mix.

Going with the Rebel ending pretty much ensures more of the same in GF3 and GF4. This time the creations are bigger and tougher, but then where do we go from here? What climactic thing can possibly be done here to keep the storyline exciting and new? We already have the Unbound, another indestructable creation really doesn't seem all that satisfying. I'm sure we can come up with other superweapons too, but ultimately it's just more of the same.

As I've said, the Geneforge rebellion has pretty much reached a logical cumulation with the Unbound. You can't really build on top of that, but you can build sideways.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #8
I'd like to see a different part of the war. Maybe the Shaper infiltration to recapture the Ashen Islands by going after the Rebellion leaders or Rebels going after the Shaper Council. You work your way up gathering information on the route to you goal.

I don't want to see the stalemate a few years later.
Apprentice
Member # 7921
Profile #9
Perhaps the next storyline has already been laid. Throughout the Geneforge series, there have references to past civilizations that have been either waylaid or gone extinct. These have been referred to as being extremely powerful though much mystery surrounds them. Maybe Jeff can build a plot around a re-discovery of an old hidden race (neither Shaper or Drakon) that has been disturbed by post-war expansion. This could open doors to all kinds of creations and magical beings that are set loose upon the rest of the world and it is up to the Shapers (or Rebels) to defend us from their destruction. They could even be lead by Spectral beings....
I trust that there will be more adventures and conquests, and I will be ready to enlist!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #10
I think Jeff's endgame involves peace, similar to the Avernum series when the Empire made peace with Avernum. Continuing with that theme, I think the Trakovite ending will happen, and the war will drag on. After even more brutal years of war, people will begin to consider peace on all sides, and the stage will be set for the inevitable lame peace ending.

What I would like to see is a Rebel victory. While in real life I would want the Shapers to win so everything could go back to normal, for the game's sake, I want to Rebels to win so everyone can see how horrific a world under their rule would really be.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #11
I don't want to see Rebel or Shaper victory, I want to see Khryk raise a child of one of the Geneforged-- it would be cool to show that geneforging is inheritable to lead his/her armies in the destruction of the rebels and the shapers.

What would be cool is that you wouldn't look like one of the glow in the dark mad canisters users but would probably be just as powerful.

[ Monday, January 22, 2007 10:52: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
I think a combination of endings has set the stage for a complete breakdown of society. Traditionalist Shapers, Shapers who don't abide by the rules anymore, rebels, Drakon rebels, human rebels, rebels who think maybe this was a bad idea, Trakovites who aren't in the shadows anymore, and I'm sure the list can go on. No faction really has much power alone anymore, which means alliances, which means a lot of fun playing the diplomat.

—Alorael, who doesn't expect that kind of diplomacy in G5. He does expect chaotically fragmented society. What else do the million factions add up to, really? Having factions dissolve as they did after previous Geneforges would be no fun at all.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #13
In Geneforge 5 we get to get past the Turabi gates into inner shaper lands. In Geneforge 6 we get to first finish Terrestria, then go back to Sucia for the final showdown... The map would be massive over 100 sections... enough to drive Jeff mad.

[ Saturday, January 27, 2007 18:22: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #14
I'd like to see the very last Geneforge game play out like Nethergate.

You could play either as a Shaper or a Rebel... Two very different games. Not a choice as you go, but the choice already made from when and WHERE you start.

That way you could see both sides of the story.

The ending?

Dunno. Jeff has sold a brazillion games and I haven't, so I think he'll manage to figure out the ending on his own.

--------------------
Tasty Vlish. They're tragically delicious.
Apprentice
Member # 7579
Profile #15
yup old jeff will figure it out...... right?

--------------------
sup guys
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Alorael:
Traditionalist Shapers, Shapers who don't abide by the rules anymore, rebels, Drakon rebels, human rebels, rebels who think maybe this was a bad idea, Trakovites who aren't in the shadows anymore, and I'm sure the list can go on.
This is why there needs to be a 'yourself' faction. What better way to end the series than having the PC gain an impossible amount of power by using the device the game is named for? The ending itself would then be based on whether or not you were nice to serviles, and whether or not you helped proliferate shaping technology.

--------------------
You lose.
Apprentice
Member # 6654
Profile #17
I'd like to see Geneforge 5 take place in a post-apocolyptic setting. The Rebels win in Geneforge 4, unleashing the unbound. The Shapers respond with their own unstopable, ruinous creation. By the time Geneforge 5 starts, most major cities have been reduced to ruin and people (along with intelligent creations) live in small enclaves, in constant fear that an unbound creation will stumble upon them. Rebels and Shapers no longer exist as organized bodies.

The PC could be an ex-Rebel, ex-Shaper, or maybe just someone who stumbles upon a Geneforge. The goal of the game, at least initially, would be one of survival. Think Fallout.

I think that setting would make for one awesome game.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #18
That idea, my good rackrmnn, gets my Emperor's Seal of Approval™.

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #19
That is an great idea. But I think that it shouldn't be survival of only your character, but survival of a community from a major city such as Dillame. You find a G4 Geneforge and use it. Then you use your newfound powers to help your commuity survive. In the end you will have helped to start the rebuilding of the Shaper World, this time with, the lessons of the past, without the Shaping. You will enforce it and no longer shape as you did to rebuild civilization.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #20
Pssh, Trakovite.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #21
Emp:
quote:

I think Jeff's endgame involves peace, similar to the Avernum series when the Empire made peace with Avernum. Continuing with that theme, I think the Trakovite ending will happen, and the war will drag on. After even more brutal years of war, people will begin to consider peace on all sides, and the stage will be set for the inevitable lame peace ending.

I certainly hope the above doesn't occur, although it does seem to be Jeff's style to run out of creative genius as he wades through a series.

Instead of peace and Shapers giving 100% rights to serviles and humans, I'd rather Geneforge conclude with the Shapers beginning to show a more enlightened attitude towards drayks, humans and serviles. If Shapers on both continents are going to grant complete rights to creations and humans, it will be a slow, labourous process, which will result in the upheaval of the current social order (think of the outlawing of feudalism).

If Jeff ends the series with something similiar to 'And the Shapers made the serviles full citizens, and everyone lived happily ever after', I will be just a little disappointed.

quote:

What I would like to see is a Rebel victory. While in real life I would want the Shapers to win so everything could go back to normal, for the game's sake, I want to Rebels to win so everyone can see how horrific a world under their rule would really be.

This is where I'm inclined to agree. I would personally love to see a Rebel victory, and (if you are a pro-Rebel) play a role in attempting to establish a stable, functioning social order. Choices could include:

- Forging an alliance between drayk and servile.

- Overthrowing the Drakons in favour of a drayk-servile alliance, or vice versa. The attack on the Drakon headquarters could involve an entire drayk-servile army vs. the Drakon minions.

- Negotiating with the Sholai (both Loyal and pro-Rebel). From what I understand, the war has ground to a stalemate, and the entry of a new 'superpower' could tip the scales.

- A drafting of a 'Rights of Species' (sorry, I can't think of a better title), which will dictate where serviles, drayks, drakons, humans and Shapers stand. There would also be the issue of regulating Shaping activities.

- Determining whether Shaper rule returns to the area, or which rebel factions sit in government. Will you try to establish proportional representation (Lebanese style?), or favour one species over another.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #22
I pretty much think that shoali would generally support the current regime for trading purpouses.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"When one fights a monster, one must take care not to become a monster oneself."
-Friedich Nietzche

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #23
Nonsense, the Sholai would want the war to continue so they could sell goods to both sides. Sholai scum, they are next, after the Rebels, of course.

I don't know if I could ever see Shapers and Drakons sitting down at a negotiation table together. More likely, also more interesting, would be if the Shapers were forced to ally with the serviles and rebel humans to stop the mad drakons. I can see no happy ending with them in it.

--------------------
You lose.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #24
However the series ends, whether it lasts to G6 or ends with G5, I think it has to end with a bang. We've had four games all ending with major escalations, all of which turned out to lead only to new stalemates. Eventually I think Jeff has to pull out all the stops, and let the PC either crush the Shaper empire for good, or establish it in unprecedented security and wear Ghaldring's guts for garters (of Skulduggery). Or successfully plague both houses and achieve some kind of Trakovite/Awakened dream. Or rule the world personally. Something that people will really want to see happen, finally, after all this time.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00

Pages