The Chosen Ending - Geneforge 5

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Chosen Ending - Geneforge 5
Apprentice
Member # 8542
Profile #75
G5- Shaper ending:
The only rebel outpost left was in the ashen isles, which was later destroyed by a small shaper army.
However it is then discovered that in an island near the ashen isles there are a few rogue creations and human rebels still hiding. The shapers don't wan't to take any chances, so they send you and a small scout party to investigate and measure the enemy forces

Your mission: check out the isle, probably destroy a geneforge or some uber powerful weapon or something and return home to give your report on the size of the enemy forces.

Who you are: probably an ex-rebel, infiltrator or even creation meant not to arouse suspicion. If you played as a human shapers wouldn't give you such a hard time, but it would be harder to gain the trust of the rebels and vice versa

Shaper support: a small camp at the start of the game and a few infiltrators hiding everywhere

Rebel support: Almost everything, since this is the last bastion of the rebels, you will find them desperate and needing help. even if they find out that you're a shaper infiltrator, some of them will try to recruit you into the rebel cause first, and kill you if you don't agree.

As for being a creation, you would probably be a servile like in g4 (you couldn't be much more, since most of the creations are too dumb to perform such a complex mission, and those who aren't are forbidden to be made), or some new creation made or whatever
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #76
I still think that it would be awesome to be a visiting Sholai who is forced to choose between the Rebels and the Shapers. Just imagine your character's reaction when he finds out how the issue of Trajkov was covered up. It's clear from the reaction of the diplomat in GF3 that the Sholai aren't entirely impressed with the oppressive Shaper regime.

It's quite poetic that the people who started the entire chain of events of Geneforge have a say in how they conclude.

[ Monday, April 23, 2007 06:05: Message edited by: Suspicious Vlish ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #77
The symmetry would be nice, but the Sholai have not had any influence on the last 3 games, and they certainly won't in the last one.

[ Monday, April 23, 2007 09:44: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Apprentice
Member # 8559
Profile #78
I should probably split this into multiple posts, would've posted it earlier but I've given up on getting my old username back.

Being a Sholai would be okay, but I want to play as one of those crazy wild serviles from the circle of the drayk. I thought those guys were cool and I was really disappointed that my servile couldn't join them.

There'd be three "classes", Maker (Shaper), Seeker (Agent), and Defender (Guardian.) You are sent forth from your wilderness community to dissuade the shapers from recolonizing your lands, after you have completed your vision quest to activate your inner magic.

I'd also like it to be easier to be a double-agent. If you aid the shapers secretly, you should gain reputation with the shapers without losing reputation among the rebels. A high leadership should let you frame your rivals in one organization or another for whatever you do, even.

Civil wars are often full of this kind of double-dealing. Militarists on both sides will cooperate to prevent peace from breaking out.

A cool quest - not realizing you are the same person, the rebels (and the shapers) can both give you a quest to kill a rebel/shaper agent who is of course you. With the right skills, you can deliver each side someone else's corpse.

Of course, certain courses of action should lead you to be inevitably exposed or hoisted by your own pitard, there should be some limit to what you can talk your way out of (but it should depend on the details of the quest, not on a game mechanic, some things should give you a big boost to how much the shapers like you and cause you zero headache with the rebels.)

There are four factions, and you have a semi-independent reputation with each one. Within each faction there are two competing camps with, generally speaking, mutually exclusive quests.

Sholai Radicals want the secrets of shaping for themselves. They give you quests to bring them research notes, for example, as well as cannister designs and suchnot.
Sholai Moderates want to ensure that the conflict does not endanger their homelands. They have sundry stuff for you to do to improve relations with their homeland, but mainly want you to provide evidence to expose the radicals.

Shaper Conservatives want the Shaper Liberals exposed for their "treason", they want rebels killed, and they want creations (including you) oppressed. The Shaper Conservatives also want the radical rebels helped and the moderate rebels weakened.
Shaper Liberals would love to have the shaper conservatives exposed for helping the most extreme rebel elements, but they don't know it's happening. Shaper liberals want to look good for the general population, and they want a negotiated end to hostilities - albeit on their terms. Finally, the shaper liberals want to deflect the criticism that they are themselves weak or impure.

Rebel Moderates also want to negotiate an end to hostilities, and are probably more willing to accept concessions than the shaper liberals.
Rebel Radicals want to kill the shapers and mutilate their corpses.

Finally, some members of the drayk cult want to have some contact (and possible assimilation) with the outsiders.
Fundamentalist cultists want to kill these interlopers and wear their skins.

The Sholai mostly reward you with equipment, but they can teach you combat skills (very cheap if you help them a lot), and also some magic spells - including new magic spells added for this game, which are foreign Sholai magic unknown to the shapers.
The Shapers can of course teach you shaping and magic through conventional means.
The Rebels let you use cannisters and give you some training.
The Drakys of the Drayk Cult can give you new levels of enlightenment which give you super powers - spell/stat/creation boosts, increased AP, increased resistances, permanent spells like regeneration or spike shield. However, there are social consequences if you have too many of these rewards (since they come with disfiguring tattoos.)
The Traykovites have been wiped out as a movement - but some of their writings remain and you can do Trakovite quests if you wish, and get told about it at the end.

And I would like more shaping customization:

You should be able to make your own "steel skinned Vlish" and the like. The maximum number of "levels" of customization you can apply to any given creation is equal to your skill in that creation - the number of skill levels needed to make it.

So if you have fyora 4, you can make a fyora with three custom powers or a cryoa with one custom power.

Each custom power has to be learned individually and some custom power / creation combinations are disallowed. Furthermore, each customization requires a certain level of shaping skill. So, if you want to make a steel-skinned Fyora, you need both Fire shaping (to make the Fyora) as well as a certain amount of Battle Shaping so that you can qualify for the steel-skinned enhancement.

Other requests:
More archaeology. Ancient ruins are fun and there should be some, with forgotten shaper secrets and all.

Main cities: Conversely, we've never been a really populated area before. Even if it's only partially accessible (because the city is quarantined, you can't reach the surrounding countryside, say) a major city, at least a dozen areas in size, would be real cool.

Political interests for non-shaper-mages. Back since GeneForge1 there's a mention of other magical guilds. Now that we're out to the fifth game, it would be nice to flesh out the background of their culture and society a little. The alchemists, and the people who make all that crystal crap, whatever other mages there are, they must have schools and societies and you should be able to meet them, even if they aren't a main faction.
Apprentice
Member # 8542
Profile #79
i like most of your idea, however the customization idea seems too complex for Jeff to put it in the game, but who knows?

About the ruins and other people i agree completely. It's about time our curiosity is sated once and for all about the other inhabitants (or ex inhabitants) who live(d) around here.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #80
The Shapers recieve the Unbound specifications, but they're incomplete, and as a result they can't put up an adequate defence when the Unbound attack the Western Morass in their full glory. The Shapers continue to fight, having a rough ability to defeat the Unboung, and the war goes from Eastern, to Central, to Western Terrestia.

Rebels: They're powerful, but not invincible. The Shapers are able to destroy the Unbound, and gained territory is usually lost between the time the Unbound are destroyed and the next Unbound arrive.

Shapers: They have the power to defeat the Unbound, but not indefinetly. They also have called out the army from the other continent, and are at a stalemate with the Rebels. The Unbound surge forward, taking land, the Shapers destroy them eventually, and retake the land, and then the process repeats with the same borders.

Trakovites: Gaining power immensly, having recruited other magic guilds, natives (pre/post Shaper annexation), and the even small amounts of visiting Sholai. Control the islands in the inland sea, the underground (mostly), and parts of the border lands.

Endgame: The Rebels are developing a new kind of Spawner, which will make Unbound continuosly. Loyalists want them all dead, and the Unbound specifications (which are needed for the Spawners) retrieved. The Rebels want you to gather ingredients and protect the Spawners as they're being made. The Trakovites want you to create the Spawners, and deliver the specifications to the Shapers.

Rebels: Shapers are overwhelmed, eventual collapse of the Shaper Empire, and the Trakovites (everyone of them)
Shapers: Terrestia seized back, rebels fall in last stand on the Ashen Isles, both Drakons and Drayks extinct, many Trakovites dead, but some spared, knowledge on how to make Drakons, Drayks, canisters, Spawners, and the Geneforge destroyed.
Trakovites: War escalates, and eventually a new rebellion within a rebellion starts, destroying both sides from the inside. Knowledge about Shaping destroyed. Drakons rare, but not all dead.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #81
Hum... nice ending but i would like that the last shapers fled to Sucia island and manage to survive there, crippled but alive. They soon rediscover their secrets and are left isolated for ever. No?

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Apprentice
Member # 8626
Profile #82
GF 5 will bring out the aweful truth, that which we have dreaded to ponder, the reason that the shapers have kept the shaping powers so secret... see, long long loooong time ago the lifecrafters invented a new creation, one which was intelligent, functional and in the end gained shaping powers themselves... these were the humans, which were created in the shaper's image (except their noses were a little smaller...) These humans eventually rose up against their creators and after a long struggle actually defeated them...and enslaved them...and reshaped them... into the simple serviles which we know of today. Anyway, the "Creators" have returned to Terrestia, and man are they p*ss*D off, at the humans, and the serviles in the revolution, all degenerate children of the shaping arts... it will take a united coalition of Shapers and Rebels to save Terrestia from the new threat of the "ancient creators"...

Anyway, that's how GF 5 would look from my humble perspective...
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #83
quote:
Originally written by Ek Wayid:

GF 5 will bring out the aweful truth, that which we have dreaded to ponder, the reason that the shapers have kept the shaping powers so secret... see, long long loooong time ago the lifecrafters invented a new creation, one which was intelligent, functional and in the end gained shaping powers themselves... these were the humans, which were created in the shaper's image (except their noses were a little smaller...) These humans eventually rose up against their creators and after a long struggle actually defeated them...and enslaved them...and reshaped them... into the simple serviles which we know of today. Anyway, the "Creators" have returned to Terrestia, and man are they p*ss*D off, at the humans, and the serviles in the revolution, all degenerate children of the shaping arts... it will take a united coalition of Shapers and Rebels to save Terrestia from the new threat of the "ancient creators"...

Anyway, that's how GF 5 would look from my humble perspective...

The proto-Shaper theory of G1 is just that. A theory. Even though the Rebellion is coming full circle, seeming to turn towards becoming the Shapers, this doesn't seem likely.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 3746
Profile #84
Unbound spawners? Now *there's* a horrifying idea. As if trying to kill five of them in G4 wasn't hard enough...

Definitely need the full-powered Geneforge.

And for the record, I'd love to play as a Drakon.
Warrior
Member # 5161
Profile #85
I bet the Sholai will make an appearance. You can't just have them for one game! Maybe the Sholai will come back even more crazily augmented, and the Shapers and Rebels will have to work together to stop them. You could probably join the Sholai too, in the classic Geneforge fashion.

--------------------
Blah blah blah I can't hear you!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #86
Jeff Vogel personally stated that the Sholai are out of the picture permanently, which is a shame. I liked them.

Also, they were only augmented in the first place because of the Shapers. They're just civilians now.

--------------------
"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever." - Anonymous
Warrior
Member # 6508
Profile #87
Well. The GF5 will prob be last GF game. So why not make it a nethergate-like ending. Thee way you play will result in the finale ending. If the shapers win. The rebels will be lost and they will start reclaiming there ground. Or if the rebels win. The Age of Shapers crumbles and disappears and the rebels finishes off the last of the shapers.

--------------------
Spiders,webs and software is great but Spiderwebsoftware is the best.
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #88
Personally, I would like a stronger force coming in, so that all peeps would have to join up and fight them.

And also that was HORRIBLE necromancy.

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks! Viva Khyryk! Vivan los Serviles! Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons! this is what you send to blizzard if they cancel Starcraft 2.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #89
All of the new suggestions since the necromancy, will undoubtedly. Here's why.

Unbound Spawner: "You are now in combat. Unbound Spawner starts making a Pointfire Unbound. Unbound Spawner takes 2,000,000,000,000 magical damage. Unbound Spawner continues making a Pointfire Unbound. *A few rounds later* Unbound Spawner is still working on that Pointfire Unbound. Unbound Spawner takes 1 physical damage, dies."

Full-Powered Geneforge: Unlikely, but possible.

Drakon PC: Jeff said so. You can only be a Rebel. Overpowered. Too arrogant. There are a plethora of reasons.

Sholai: They're normal people, just foreigners. Normal people get crushed by both sides easily.

Lordofdc: That is insanely obvious. You do things that support the Shapers, you probably have to take the Shaoer ending. Et cetera. In fact, I don't even think you stated anything that wasn't in Geneforge since the beginning.

Stronger Force: Stronger than the 'One Shaper One Army'? Nothing short of an army of invading super-Unbound could do anything like that to make a continental wide truce. Besides, the whole game has been arcing up in an epic for the final conflict between the Shapers and Rebels.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 14875
Profile #90
I think Geneforge 5 should have new skills and it should end with the drakons separating from the Rebellion and destroying both the rebels and the shapers.
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #91
quote:
I think Geneforge 5 should have new skills and it should end with the drakons separating from the Rebellion and destroying both the rebels and the shapers.
I could see it happening, that way, the people who support rebels but hate drakons will have their hour. (oh and by the way, do you mean the drakons will fight the rebels and shapers, or destroy the shapers and rebels?

Oh and, Welcome to the Spiderweb boards, please leave your sanity at the door, or the fluffy turtles will get you.

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks! Viva Khyryk! Vivan los Serviles! Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons! this is what you send to blizzard if they cancel Starcraft 2.

Pages