The Chosen Ending - Geneforge 5

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Chosen Ending - Geneforge 5
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #25
You start out as a looter. From the beginning you get to decide whether you will be modified by a geneforge to use canisters or take a shaper path and learn things the hard way.

ET - I think the drakons and Shapers could sit down at a dining table with the Shapers as dinner. You can almost see the drool of hunger in the opening screen.
Warrior
Member # 90
Profile #26
I would like to see a continuation of the current factions, instead of just meshing it all together as was done in A3. I miss the Awakened.

On that note, the ending for G4 sets the perfect stage for the revival of the Awakened. Now we've seen how horrific the Drakons can be, and we know how horrific the Shapers are, and the Trak's have no problems letting everyone suffer from their safe hidey holes (Yeah, it's REALLY hard to talk about how horrible shaping is when it's protecting your arse). So right now is the perfect time for the idealistic Awakened to make a come back. The refugees are tired of the constant fighting, and they've seen that the differences between the Shapers and the Rebels are minute at best - both want nothing more then absolute power for themselves at whatever the cost.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #27
I disagree. The awakened were too weak, I think this sets the stage for the Barzites return. With the (either successful or attempted) creation of the Unbound, people will no longer trust the drakons, and there will be plenty of humans that will no longer trust any creations at all. On the flip side, there will be many that have lost faith in the Shaper laws, wishing that their power were less secretive so that common people could actually defend themselves from the constantly more powerful rogues.

Hating creations + hating Shaper laws = Barzites.

--------------------
You lose.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #28
The worst ending would be...

A virus created, a sickness, that infects people and takes away their ability to shape.

And suddenly, the world is normal again.

--------------------
Tasty Vlish. They're tragically delicious.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #29
No. The worst ending is that the drakons go completely insane from self-shaping, kill all of humanity, and roam around, incapable of the intelligence required for Shaping, cannibalistic and insanely powerful.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Warrior
Member # 90
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

I disagree. The awakened were too weak, I think this sets the stage for the Barzites return. With the (either successful or attempted) creation of the Unbound, people will no longer trust the drakons, and there will be plenty of humans that will no longer trust any creations at all. On the flip side, there will be many that have lost faith in the Shaper laws, wishing that their power were less secretive so that common people could actually defend themselves from the constantly more powerful rogues.

Hating creations + hating Shaper laws = Barzites.

I very much disagree on the Awakened being weak - they're the ones that brought out shaping serviles to give them magic, which plays a pretty important role in G4 (at least, it does if you play a servile like me). What they were, was moderate - and they had no place in the current politics up until the rebellion showed just how dangerous it really was with the Unbound. Before the Unbound, the common people wouldn't have seen any purpose to the Awakened; they were arrogant enough to believe that the serviles would never rebel, or at the very least, wouldn't do it successfully. But now that they've been shown the horrors the Rebels have at stake, this is the perfect time for the Awakened to return - giving the people a moderate group with the good of the people in mind.

As for the Bharzites, I would argue that the Drakons are becoming just that. The Rebels are going to be split between the extremists - the Drakons, who believe in ending Shaper rule at any cost, with little to no care for civilian life - and the moderates - the Awakened, who see that the Shapers are desperate, that the Drakons are out of control, and that the people, the refugees, need someone to stand up for them.

Ellhrah's dream isn't dead. It's just asleep, waiting for someone to rally the serviles and the people together.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Skrat:

Perhaps the next storyline has already been laid. Throughout the Geneforge series, there have references to past civilizations that have been either waylaid or gone extinct. These have been referred to as being extremely powerful though much mystery surrounds them. Maybe Jeff can build a plot around a re-discovery of an old hidden race (neither Shaper or Drakon) that has been disturbed by post-war expansion. This could open doors to all kinds of creations and magical beings that are set loose upon the rest of the world and it is up to the Shapers (or Rebels) to defend us from their destruction. They could even be lead by Spectral beings....
I trust that there will be more adventures and conquests, and I will be ready to enlist!

Reminds me of Avernum. New, extremely powerful alien race, hmmm.

I haven't played G4 yet, but I think I'd be likely to agree with Stareye, something fresh would be nice.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
Apprentice
Member # 8066
Profile #32
I wish to see peace for once lolll...no really , i didnt finish geneforce 3 so i dont know what happend to the third shaper...what about a come-back? and he can lead the servil and others...and with some tricery send the drakon against the shaper...they destroy each other...and the geneforge for once and for good. We will have a lot of human alive , some rebel without a job lol and servile happy and free...
Just an idea dont shoot me loll :D
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by DragonPaladin:

Before the Unbound, the common people wouldn't have seen any purpose to the Awakened; they were arrogant enough to believe that the serviles would never rebel, or at the very least, wouldn't do it successfully. But now that they've been shown the horrors the Rebels have at stake, this is the perfect time for the Awakened to return - giving the people a moderate group with the good of the people in mind.
People don't generally look to peaceful groups to end conflicts. They like to look to the more powerful ones to make their lives the way they used to be. Humans would not believe for a second that a group of serviles, however enlightened, could save them from the horrors of war. Maybe the rebel serviles would, but then again, the Awakened don't have a very good track record, being totally whiped out and all.
quote:
As for the Bharzites, I would argue that the Drakons are becoming just that.
At first I was thinking 'Barzites don't support creation rights, this is nonsense.' But then I remembered that book Animal Farm and how the pigs started wearing human cloths in the end.
quote:
Originally by striker:
i didnt finish geneforce 3 so i dont know what happend to the third shaper...what about a come-back?
That third shaper was the player's character. You're not supposed to know what happened to him. Though one theory is he already made his comeback as Shaper Monarch.

--------------------
You lose.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #34
I doubt the third character was Monarch; I think it was the Gar... whatever who was the first Shaper captured before your character in G1.... But I digress.
I don't get why people can still side with the Drakons in the Geneforge games. I never have and never will, they are crazy and much worse than the Shapers. My bet is a Rebel victory leading to G5. Damn Drakons killing everyone off, see what happens when you question the Shapers!

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"When one fights a monster, one must take care not to become a monster oneself."
-Friedich Nietzche

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #35
The theory is actually that Monarch is the protagonist of G1, which I find implausible despite having finished no Geneforges besides 4. Protagonists know better to unleash armies at random, and when they want to conquer they do it in person, quickly, and effectively.

—Alorael, who attributes much of protagonist success to the ancient save and reload technique.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #36
The view that Monarch came from GF1 was based on the types of creations he makes. There aren't the higher ones in GF2.

The fact that both sides disown him implies that he wasn't a major character from the earlier games. Of course Shapers lie a lot to cover things up so he could have been one of them. They really have to upgrade those locks when they seal a lab.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #37
I still think he is the PC from Geneforge 3. It could be that he tried to help the Shapers (Monarch wears old shaper robes) but after he used too many canisters (and went insane), they turned on him as well. This would explain why Greta hates him and why Alwan is embarassed about him. Sure he only makes lower level creations in the city, but people keep forgetting he is responsible for all the creations in the high level area as well, including the Titan.

--------------------
You lose.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #38
Listen, the drakons insane ending is not the worst. Because drakons are carnivores and love wealth. Humans are easy meat when unarmed and are the most available around to a drakon they are good slaves and provide wealth, therefore drakons won't kill all of the humans. The only way to bend the human race to there convenience is to make slaves out of them .
Until humans survive that's all right but the slavery thing is going to make a rebellion for sure then it will open a new chapter in geneforge : the drakon war.

[ Monday, February 12, 2007 23:08: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Apprentice
Member # 8066
Profile #39
How about a new race , who want to take the geneforge forcing the drakon and the shaper to be freind . And let say that this new race have a way to make the geneforge stronger and deadly ? so they will have to fight together again their new ennemie , and run against time to stop the new ennemie for making new mosnter that are stronger then anyone else... :cool:
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #40
Reminds me of the preview for Warcraft 3...

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."

"When one fights a monster, one must take care not to become a monster oneself."
-Friedich Nietzche

-Friedich Nietzche
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #41
Introducing a new race to be the focus of the plot is a questionable device. It worked in A2, but the vahnatai weren't the sole catalyst of events until A3. Really, drakons fill the race role quite nicely, and any cooperation is likely to be largely humans vs. drakons with serviles on both sides. There are already reasons for Shapers and rebels to put aside their differences to deal with the Unbound.

—Alorael, who doesn't think the Shapers and rebels are capable of cooperating. And if the current factions can't work together, only one thing can occur. Yes, another faction.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

I don't know if I could ever see Shapers and Drakons sitting down at a negotiation table together. More likely, also more interesting, would be if the Shapers were forced to ally with the serviles and rebel humans to stop the mad drakons. I can see no happy ending with them in it.
I like it.

And Alorael, is you custom title changing along with your PDN? it seems to be going from Blademaster to Frolicking in Postland.

[ Tuesday, February 13, 2007 13:25: Message edited by: Sarasaphilia ]

--------------------
The Survival Elite
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #43
It's only Blademaster when he's posting in a forum in which he's a moderator. This is true for all moderators, not just A-dawg.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #44
It's true of only me, actually. There are no other mods without custom titles at the moment.

—Alorael, who remembers when there used to be Blade Masters aplenty. Those were the good old days, back before these newfangled titles and the newfangled refusal to give them to certain individuals.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #45
Well, okay, so it's true in principle for all moderators, if they didn't all have custom titles except you. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #46
Whatever happened to Seletine, anyway? He helped me feel like I wasn't so terribly, terribly alone.

—Alorael, who can only bear the pain of being a second-class mod by planning his vengeance. Oh, how sweet it will be!
Apprentice
Member # 4812
Profile #47
The rebel ending seems unlikely to be used in G5 imo, as it makes the drakons and shapers too much alike. There wouldn't be a moral dilemma of who to help. Both sides want pretty much the same thing, using pretty much the same means.
Therefore, a third faction would have to be introduced to offer another choice, but that seems a little too avernum'ish.

Perhaps split factions among the drakons are what we will see, the new generation on one side (universal bad guys) and the older more humane ones on the rebel side. This would also give the rebels the power they need to stand a chance against the shapers - something they would be lacking if the drakons split from them completely.

I think the idea of the shapers trying to retake the Ashen islands in G5 makes the most sence.

The story could go something like this;
The drakons on the Ashen islands decide to start up a program to redevelop a new ultimate version of the unbound ones. A few of the older drakons see this, and foreseeing the consequences this would have, flee to warn the rebels and the shapers of what’s going on. The shapers immediately launch an assault on Ashen islands, but they are at a severe disadvantage since they don’t have any outposts there, and no idea of where the drakons are hiding, or what they are doing. The shapers ask the rebels for a temporary truce since they need help, and the rebels who are too weak to oppose the drakons on their own, accepts.

While the rebels and the shapers share a common goal, they have very different ways of doing things, and this will lead to conflicts. Add to that the usual plotting against each other behind the scene, and I think it’s a fairly good basis for what G5 could be.

--------------------
If you believe in yourself, drink your school, stay in drugs, and don't do milk - you can get work!
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #48
Shapers don't use the same means as the Drakons; they would never release something like the Unbound.

--------------------

-Friedich Nietzche

-Friedich Nietzche
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #49
Yes they would says the Rebel ending.

Pages