improvements for geneforge 3.... your thoughts

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: improvements for geneforge 3.... your thoughts
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #100
Music: Crappy suggestion. It won't happen. Period. Jeff has already said he's sticking with the current system of sound effects, and music inevitably gets redundant and annoying, with only 2 exceptions I can think of. Of all time. If you miss music, play a cd.

Flying creations: A nice thought, but again: won't happen. Requires way to much work for no more benefit that would be gained.

Internet Play: ROTFLMAO. If I had a nickel... I would be 5 cents richer. But anyway, if it was possible, the chances of that happening would be less than 0. Since it's not, we'll just round it to 0.

Suggestions I think have a better than 95% chance of being implemented: numbers 3,5,6,9,10,11,13, and 16 from my last post. I think others have merit, but I don't know how much of a change Jeff would be willing to make. No matter how he handles GF3, I'll probably end up buying it. For your suggestions, think seriously about what that kind of change would entail, and how severely it would change the way the game is played now. This shouldn't be a dream list for some game that hasn't been made, it should be ideas for small changes to improve a game that already exists.

I'm not intolerably bitter and acidic, am I?

--------------------
I hate signatures.
Apprentice
Member # 3881
Profile Homepage #101
Whats wrong with music? Music builds the mood for the game. If you hate it so much than Jeff could implement an option that lets you turn it off. Most games allow you to adjust music volume anyway. Music doesn't ever get redundant in games like Vice City where there are hours of tracks. Laughing about internet play is ridiculous. Of course its possible you idiot! Lots of RPG's have internet play. Diablo 2 being a prime example as one of the best selling games ever made. Besides i'm not talking about a whole new world for internet play, just a few arenas for 1v1 matches vs your friends or co-op.

[ Thursday, January 15, 2004 13:08: Message edited by: prankster959 ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #102
I know it's possible, I was refering to the fact that it's not possible for the chances to be less than zero. There have been many discussions on this subject, and the fact is: it won't happen.

And on music, Jeff has already said he likes the way it's handled now and isn't planning on changing it. Music unnecessarily increases download time, something Jeff just isn't willing to do.

--------------------
I hate signatures.
Apprentice
Member # 3881
Profile Homepage #103
That makes sense, but possibly a seperate download for those of us who have cable? Or perhaps it would come with the CD when you register it.

Eventually his games will need much longer download times if he wants to be competetive with 3D RTS like Dungeon Siege. IMO Geneforge 2 was much better than Dungeon Siege. But if they can actually get a good story line for something like that then there would be no reason to get Geneforge 3.

[ Saturday, January 17, 2004 07:18: Message edited by: prankster959 ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #104
Geneforge isn't on a CD.
You get a number, and you type it in.
Then you are registered.

Besides, some people like being able to use their own music.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #105
I could care less about music, but I would like to see a more balanced difficulty in the future GF. GF1 is well-balanced throughout the game. I didn't feel too intimidated stepping out from demo regions whereas in GF2, the demo areas are rather ridiculously easy (not counting Sharon's creatures, of course), then WOW!!! after that, it is just like hell.

I realize there are people who love tough challenging games out there, but that's why there are different difficulties to choose from.

Please make easy or normal level more suitable for new players.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Wednesday, November 12 2003 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #106
The weapons in this game are not that powerful.In GF1 Discipline wand was the ultimate weapon and every use removed a charge of it.It's not so in GF2 and hope so it is in GF3.

I want to ask a question does Jeff Vogel or any lead developers ever reads this topic's contents or are we just day dreaming about the GF3.

[ Saturday, January 17, 2004 21:24: Message edited by: Ur-Glaahk ]

--------------------
Some stupid laws

If it is mine,it is mine.
If I had it a second ago,it is mine
If it looks like it is mine it is mine.
If it is your's and you keep it down,it becomes mine.
If I like something,it is mine
If I see something,then it is mine.

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

Want to visit the misc.boards-This is the only WAY

-Stinging Munster
Apprentice
Member # 3881
Profile Homepage #107
My friend got Geneforge on a CD. It has a black and white picture of the shaper creating something if I recall correctly. Then again you can always just use the CD key.
Warrior
Member # 3698
Profile Homepage #108
Yes he does look at these forums (look at "A Chrismas thank you to Jeff" or somthing like that).

--------------------
Hi. Why is the universe so BIG? Why am I human? How come hot dogs come in packages of 10 and buns 8? This will all be solved in time young padawan. Your quest for the ultimate Aztec manuer is coming to a climax. May the force be with you!!!
······························································
This is where I want you to click! Rate me! Ha Ha
Check out some cool Mac OS X Apps that were made by me here!
10101 Software - You can take my iMac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the wireless mouse!
Warrior
Member # 3698
Profile Homepage #109
Also, Arrow Swift, why would flying creations be impossible? It's not like they would be able to go over trees or anything. They'd just float like a Vilish or Gazer except have wings, that's all I was thinking of. :)

--------------------
Hi. Why is the universe so BIG? Why am I human? How come hot dogs come in packages of 10 and buns 8? This will all be solved in time young padawan. Your quest for the ultimate Aztec manuer is coming to a climax. May the force be with you!!!
······························································
This is where I want you to click! Rate me! Ha Ha
Check out some cool Mac OS X Apps that were made by me here!
10101 Software - You can take my iMac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the wireless mouse!
Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #110
The most likely way to get suggestions in the next Geneforge would be to wait until a little after BoA is out and email him a list of the best suggestions. He does listen to fan mail.

--------------------
I hate signatures.
Warrior
Member # 3746
Profile #111
Tris: Drakons and Drayks. They don't fly, but they do have wings.

(edit: read question wrong)

[ Monday, January 19, 2004 07:44: Message edited by: Arcblade ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 3862
Profile #112
Actually if you pay attention the Drakons do hover a little above the ground or its just a visual mistake.

--------------------
Legends tell that Avernum,
Is a gateway to the underworld,
from which the dead never return,
Well thats a lie because im here now aren't I.
--------------------------------
"Never get into a fight with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #113
I have just played Avernum series, and I like that when pc faces monsters, there is usually message asking for attack and in town mode, one can also attack without going into combat mode.

I wish GF has that b/c many times, I got into combat mode just barely at an edge of monster's vision but unfortunately not my vision thus cost me some ap.

And definitely, more variety of inventory item graphic - maybe some differential between regular items and special items.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3862
Profile #114
I agree with Dragongirl about the ability to attack someone without going into ttack mode. This is because it would be a major plus for the Guardian and maybe the Agent to.

Also with the item differentiality. Maybe you could have some special graphic changes to the item or a different color in the wording of the weapon that suggests its better. (like in the Diablo games)Great suggestion Dragongirl along with other people who might have posted these suggestions earlier in the topic :D

--------------------
Legends tell that Avernum,
Is a gateway to the underworld,
from which the dead never return,
Well thats a lie because im here now aren't I.
--------------------------------
"Never get into a fight with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Apprentice
Member # 3871
Profile Homepage #115
Ya know, wouldn't a nice agent bonus would be a slightly larger sight radius? That would kinda-sorta go with the idea of stealth - I'd kill to be able to avoid those turrets early in the game. But, it might also be too big of a bonus; I seriously doubt I'd play anything other than an agent if she had such a bonus.

Also, I for one would love to have some sort of plugin for an MP3 player, so you could have music going and be able to load up a song or two without leaving the game. I don't *think* it would be too difficult, although it could end up looking like a quick-fix... Nothing special, though, just a little apparatus you could access from the in-game menu (the one with the "save,""load,""prefrences" options.)

--------------------
Psh. I'll think of something clever later.
Apprentice
Member # 3858
Profile #116
I agreee with what dragongirl said about leveled difficulty. I feel like the demo levels are just an excuse to gain levels and the rest is death in every other section. Maybe it is just me but I am sick of haivng to run back and forth to recharge on some particularly hard fighting levels

Also I agree with what people have said about different items looking different. There is nothing more annoying than going through a hundred iron swords to find that one special sword that some enemy dropped
Apprentice
Member # 3676
Profile #117
A thought I had a while ago while playing another game call "Arcanum, of Steamworks & Magick Obscura."
In this game you can make your own weapons, armor, and tools, from component parts after learning the how to.
I wonder if the shaping skills could be used in a similar way. and make use of all those sticks, stones, and severed limbs we find everywhere.

--------------------
The living are important.
The dead, to be remembered.
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #118
You have to go near an item to pick it up.In Avernum 3 you can pick up any thing in your character's sight.It would be good if it was like that in Geneforge 3.

Music is not a bad idea after all.Pleasant music in towns and Ghosty music in dungeons lights up the game.For people who hate music there should be an option to stop the music in the preferences.

--------------------
Some stupid laws

If it is mine,it is mine.
If I had it a second ago,it is mine
If it looks like it is mine it is mine.
If it is your's and you keep it down,it becomes mine.
If I like something,it is mine
If I see something,then it is mine.

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

Want to visit the misc.boards-This is the only WAY

-Stinging Munster
Apprentice
Member # 3592
Profile #119
I'd like to be able to click on the map view to leave a stick pin that links up to a note. I get lost too easily.

I'd also like to be able to toggle a map view for the area without invoking the movement mode.

I'd also like to have the links between maps show up in the map view when you find an entrance/exit rather than actually having to travel it. I get curious and want to map out everything, but when you travel the permanent enchantments go away.

Also, when someone tells you about area, or gives you directions, could that part of the map be uncovered a little?

on a completely different topic: Why can't we have the option to dismiss creations? It seems brutal to reabsorb them. You'd think someone who aligns with the Awakened would be morally oposed. And when you walk into an Awakened settlement, possessing creatures should affect your ranking with them.

--------------------
--
sheila
Apprentice
Member # 3742
Profile Homepage #120
sheila, it doesnt make sense to dismiss creations instead of reaborbing them... they take up precious essence! letting them go would leave you with no creature fighting for you and essence you dont have access to!

One thing i thought about last night when i noticed i have almost 24,000 gold coins!! and i was carrying only 72 pounds. isnt it unrealistic to not have coins count as weight!? surely i couldnt lift more than a few hundred at a time.... i think a bank to store money in would solve the problem, and also a chest to store 30 items in would be nice. No more stockpiling hundreds of items all over the place! Not only does it make the game too easy, now if the item is dropped and you leave the screen, the item would be lost forever! This brings a lot more strategy to the game and forces you to save only special items.
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #121
quote:
Originally written by Lenny Hipp:

One thing i thought about last night when i noticed i have almost 24,000 gold coins!! and i was carrying only 72 pounds. isnt it unrealistic to not have coins count as weight!? surely i couldnt lift more than a few hundred at a time....
I think you might have a problem with $20, if you divide it all up in pennies...

This is probably one of those "multiple pieces of currency" things that is left to the player's common sense and/or negligence. In Avernum, gold coins got you 40 coins, silver got you 8 or 20, and copper a few. A few RPGs have actually attempted to worry about the weight of currency, including Castle of the Winds and Realms of Arcania, and in both of those it did increase strategy but also decreased the amount of fun. It's a tradeoff.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ, Geneforge 2 FAQ, and
Geneforge 3 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3746
Profile #122
Sheila: Not to stomp your idea, but if you dismissed your creation, it would go rogue. Then it has two options. Try to kill you for enslaving it, or leave you alone and deprive you of essence.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #123
The main advantage of flying creatures is that you would have to use flying or missile weapons creatures to attack them if they were intelligent. No intelligent flying magic using creature is going to close with a guardian with a giant sword and heavy armor or a battle beta-- if they can just fry them from a distance.

It might be nice to have some missile type combats with barriers to close in combat. This might make it necessary to have a more mixed group of creatures-- some distance attackers and some not.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #124
One thing that I prefer GF2 to GF1 is that one is able to get various powerful items earlier in the game where as in GF1, one gets powerful weapons late in the game successively which makes it's less fullfilment (and not as enjoyable) in using them.

Pages