improvements for geneforge 3.... your thoughts

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: improvements for geneforge 3.... your thoughts
Warrior
Member # 3698
Profile Homepage #250
maybe if you got to level 3 create Servile you could make a servile caster. . .

Not ornks finding items, roamers!

--------------------
Hi. Why is the universe so BIG? Why am I human? How come hot dogs come in packages of 10 and buns 8? This will all be solved in time young padawan. Your quest for the ultimate Aztec manuer is coming to a climax. May the force be with you!!!
······························································
This is where I want you to click! Rate me! Ha Ha
Check out some cool Mac OS X Apps that were made by me here!
10101 Software - You can take my iMac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the wireless mouse!
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #251
quote:
Originally written by [b:
Iolanda[/b]]
I would not only like less sexistic graphics (though they don't really annoy me, since I prefer to play the agent), but I'd like more colour schemes. I'd really like to play a shaper (of any type) with black robes.
I find the idea of shops running out of money unrealistic. Am I their only client?
They way of travelling in Geneforge is far faster than in Exile/ Avernum, but it is highly unrealistic, too.
I'd like to be able to equip two kinds of weapons (short-range and wide-range).

For the shops running out of money, I don't find that unrealistic. In fact, I find it realistic. I mean, thinking about a shop in real life, it has its limits on cash.

Also, for the travel part, I can see how it is unrealistic. Being able to skip over all the "cleared" territories is kinda unrealistic. But my guess is it was made because it would take too long traveling from 1 place to the next. I mean, just say you wanted to go back to the starting place to check something out (for reasons unknown) and you were all the way on the other side of the map. You'd be pretty poed wouldnt ya? ;)

I can also concur with your last statement. I'd like to see a dual wileding feature on g3 as well. But I'd like to add on to that thought. The way I see it, I'd like to be able to dual wield two short range 1 hand weapons, like exile. (I dont think you can do that in avernum, correct me if im wrong) That just about wraps up all my statements about G3. :)

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #252
quote:
Originally written by -08:

Also, for the travel part, I can see how it is unrealistic. Being able to skip over all the "cleared" territories is kinda unrealistic. But my guess is it was made because it would take too long traveling from 1 place to the next. I mean, just say you wanted to go back to the starting place to check something out (for reasons unknown) and you were all the way on the other side of the map. You'd be pretty poed wouldnt ya? ;)

I can also concur with your last statement. I'd like to see a dual wileding feature on g3 as well. But I'd like to add on to that thought. The way I see it, I'd like to be able to dual wield two short range 1 hand weapons, like exile. (I dont think you can do that in avernum, correct me if im wrong) That just about wraps up all my statements about G3. :) [/QB]
I know what you mean. But I guess that the shaper can use his "powers" to fly over places that don't have angry monsters in them.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Warrior
Member # 4345
Profile #253
[/QUOTE]For the shops running out of money, I don't find that unrealistic. In fact, I find it realistic. I mean, thinking about a shop in real life, it has its limits on cash.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Yeah, but its not as though you're the only person who buys from them. Maybe they might slowly get more money over time from other clients...?

--------------------
"Damn Scots. They ruined scotland!"-Groundskeeper Willy, the Simpsons
Apprentice
Member # 5236
Profile #254
OK, Geneforge 2 is messed up. WHEN YOU ARE TRADING WITH A MERCHANT, AS LONG AS YOUR ITEM YOU WANT TO SELL IS WORTH 1 OR MORE GOLD AND THEY HAVE ENOUGH MONEY AND YOU ARE WILLING TO SELL, THEY WILL ALWAYS BUY IT FROM YOU. Mindlessly, not caring if it is pair of sandals or whatever. They are such fools. Why can't they be smarter, like only buy your really good items eg. crystalline plate, shapers robe, agents robe, reaper batons etc. etc. etc.

[ Sunday, November 28, 2004 10:49: Message edited by: Me, Myself & I ]

--------------------
Is there any legal way of getting spiderweb software games if you don't have $20?
Apprentice
Member # 5236
Profile #255
So you want to be Shanti?
Well later you lose your necklass in Freegate. Then you struggle all the way to the forests near the town Rising.
Later, you "fall" on Stansi's blade and "die".
So you people should stop making suggestions that Jeff will never consider.

--------------------
Is there any legal way of getting spiderweb software games if you don't have $20?
Warrior
Member # 4345
Profile #256
Will someone please just shoot him?

--------------------
"Damn Scots. They ruined scotland!"-Groundskeeper Willy, the Simpsons
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #257
We can dream if we want to, thank you very much.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Apprentice
Member # 5236
Profile #258
Shoot me in Geneforge 3 if there is multiplayer. What are you gonna shoot me with? A reaper? But I highly doubt Jeff will add multiplayer in Geneforge 3.

[ Sunday, November 28, 2004 14:52: Message edited by: Me, Myself & I ]

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #259
GF3 is almost in beta - there isn't much chance of anything new being added if it's not already there.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5232
Profile #260
i think they should have adon packs were u jus add a patch and u hav 3 new creations

also for gf1 and gf2

--------------------
Dying tickles
Apprentice
Member # 5187
Profile #261
jeff forgive us we mean well...

ooh and if you could serviles as main character choice would be cool.

shame on every one pushing these ideas!

except mine and one or two of the others.

--------------------
~~SaltyDog~~
Apprentice
Member # 5208
Profile #262
I did not read through this whole topic, so if I am repeating sorry.

1. I wish your character and creations would NOT STOP when they are moving and take non-combat damage. If you want to make them pause for the hit (the hit animation) that is fine and I think it should be that way, but then keep going.

2. Don't auto select characters and creations. If I select my character only, don't auto reselect all party members when I am done opening a chest or talking to someone.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #263
1) It makes sense. Your creations do not have a real mind of their own. They will not want to go somewhere that will hurt them. You have to constantly direct them to make them go.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Warrior
Member # 5363
Profile Homepage #264
I havn't read the entire poll, so forgive me if I parrot other people's suggestions. Anyhow, I thought
of some possible improvements for GF3 and a possible BOG.
1:Have more creation slots than just 7
2:Have clawbugs and plated bugs have armor and poison, it says they do in the description!
3:Show resistances for fire, energy, and hostile effect.
4:Make some good hostile effect resistance items.
5:For BOG, not for GF3, maybe there should be the old exile type of dialog. (Avernum diolaug has infinant bugs and is impossible to program.)
6:2-handed weapons and dual wield weapons.
7:Fix some special boost related issues. IE: at the start of the game, I start with a level of fyora. Assume i can pay Tyallea. Now, I look in her journal i get a fyora level, and she can't train me. But, if I train with her first and then get the journal, i can get Cryoras.
8:Somehow get some skills for creations, like parry, quick action. Etc.
9:Dont shar XP with creations. IE at start if i killed a rat by myself i would get 120. If i had a creation, I would get 74. I think all members should get the 120.
Well, thats all I have to say.

--------------------
Learn from others mistakes. Its safer
and more entertaining than learning on your own.
Apprentice
Member # 5208
Profile #265
quote:
1) It makes sense. Your creations do not have a real mind of their own. They will not want to go somewhere that will hurt them. You have to constantly direct them to make them go.

I would accept this if creations did not walk into danger (acid pools, fire pits) on there own and then once hit just stand there until they are dead. For instance if there was a hallway with a fire pit covering half, and I told a creation to walk from one end of the hallway to the other, the way it is now they will walk right over the fire, stop and just stand there taking damage. Now, if they used that mind of there own a little and walked around the fire and to make them go on it I had to click right on the fire, then I might agree with you. If they stop like they do, they will die. If they would go where I tell them they would live. If I am in control of them they should trust me more. I should be able to convey to them "ok, this might hurt, but it mill hurt more if you don't listen."

Not to mention my character, who does not have a mind of his own, does the same thing. "Walkin' down a hallway la la la. Oh whats that? It looks like fire (as he walks right onto it). Gee it is fire. You know its kind of hot. I better just stand here like a retard until I'm dead."

[ Saturday, January 08, 2005 07:18: Message edited by: xenocide ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #266
quote:
Originally written by The1Kobra:

4:Make some good hostile effect resistance items.

I don't think you understand hostile effect resistance - it means resistance to every hostile effect, like fire, acid, stun, etc.
quote:

(Avernum diolaug has infinant bugs and is impossible to program.)

Liar. :P
quote:

8:Somehow get some skills for creations, like parry, quick action. Etc.

This sort of happens - but not for creations.

--------------------
====
====
Warrior
Member # 5363
Profile Homepage #267
Uh, oops, sorry! But, maybe he should put in some items which help resist damage from areas. (Like the effects from the crystal carven.) I was talking about that sort of thing.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #268
Those are usually magic or electric damage - things like the Mica or Static bands will help with that. You'll notice that less damage is done to you than your creations.

--------------------
====
====
Warrior
Member # 5363
Profile Homepage #269
I know that I recieve less (And in some cases more.) damage with certain items equipped. Thing is, I would sometimes like it to display certain resistances which it doesnt Show. (I would also like to see resistances for creations.) (Speaking of which, shouldn't certain creations be resistant to certain things. Like drayks to fire, cryodrayks to ice etc)
And about the dialog...
I think it would be easier to program the exile system than the averum system. Also, ive heard alot about how BOA has SO many bugs. I just think the exile dialog system would be more convenient.
Creation skills:
Ok, that was a dumb suggestion....

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #270
BoA dialogue is surprisingly bug-free, from what I've done so far. And while BoA has a fair number of bugs, it is certainly no worse than BoE, since it contains also a fair number of workarounds.

Since GF3 is apparently entering beta, I think this thread has outlived its usefulness (assuming that it had any to begin with).

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5159
Profile #271
First off, I can't believe this topic is still in it's half-life. Having said that, I think a lot of things should change, however, I would be happy with one improvement, or possibly, just the awnser to this question: Why is it that Fire Shaping has: A Fyora. Thats sensical, it breaths fire, it's red. A Cryoa: It breaths ice, it's blue. I'm a little bit confused. A Roamer: It breaths acid. Huh? A PyroRoamer: It explodes. Ohhh okay. A Drayk: It is a lizard of fiery doom. Thats fine. A CryoDrayk: ??????????????????????????????????????????
A Drakon: Breaths fire. A Ur-Drakon: Breaths fire. I'm sorry Jeff, but after the original concept (which to me reminds me of the Vahnatai from Exile) you are an uncreative lump of poo.

--------------------
"The whoopie cushion shall rise again."
- Anton Szandor LaVey
Founder of the Church of Satan
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #272
Technically, I think the "cold" creations' breath weapons are of the magic/energy element. So you can think of Cryoas and Cryodrayks as breathing plasma or something if it makes you feel better.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5406
Profile #273
why aren't there any bows or spears in geneforge? why aren't there any other throwing weapons besides javelins? why don't the weapons exist in the geneforge games?
Warrior
Member # 5363
Profile Homepage #274
Um, not sure, I think it has to do with that those weapons arent good enough for the egotystical shapers. And outsiders dont sell you them because they probably remember what happened the last time they offered a shaper one of those....... You get the idea....

--------------------

Pages