If canisters were real...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: If canisters were real...
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #0
If canisters were real, how many (if any) would you use?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 45 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=WHeXEmiRpcyX"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=WHeXEmiRpcyX"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Ignorance Is bliss -Cypher (Matrix)
Don't think you can; know you can -Morpheus (Matrix)

sanity is overrated :)
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #1
As many as possible to increase my chances of surviving attacks from other maniacs hyped up on canisters.

Also, though you may not care, "ignorance is bliss" was coined by Thomas Gray.

[ Wednesday, December 27, 2006 14:12: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #2
Humanity kind of stinks anyway. Give me more canisters!
Warrior
Member # 7735
Profile #3
Canisters make you pure and perfect! Use them all!
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #4
I use them in moderation. That way, I keep my... Oh, wait, I already forfeited my sanity when I came here, didn't I?

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #5
do you think if you used enough canisters would it be the same as useing the geneforge? How many would you need to use?

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Warrior
Member # 7735
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Lord Safey:

do you think if you used enough canisters would it be the same as useing the geneforge? How many would you need to use?
A minimum of a lot?

Spoiler warning:

8 STR
8 DEX
8 EDR
8 INT
8 MeW
8 MiS?
8 QA?
8 Ana?
8 SC
8 FS
8 MS
8 BS
8 HC

Note that the bonuses are abbreviated in case that you accidentally read ahead. But they should be easy enough to figure out. I think some of the bonuses are wrong... I haven't used the Geneforge in a long time.

[ Wednesday, December 27, 2006 18:36: Message edited by: Good Canisters ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
Go for a few of the really useful ones so you gain power but still have some control. That way you can goad the ones that use too many into doing stupid things. Let them fight amongst themselves and kill the "winner."
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #8
This poll is misleading. Canisters don not take your humanity. They augment it, making you a better human than you could ever dream to be without them.

In the Geneforge world I would use all I could get my hands on, simply as a matter of survival. The canisters, along with my unmatched ambition, would assure my domination of that world... at least for a little while.

In the real world, I would probably only need to use a few to get what I really want, assuming not too many people already have access to them. Still, I would probably end up using as many as possible. Only then would I have the clarity of thought I need to be an enlightened ruler.

Geneforge 4 revealed that the geneforge itself does not, in fact, perfect you, as you can still use canisters after having using it. A geneforge is more like the equivilant of using a few canisters plus getting the standard augmentation that allows use of shaping and powerful magic. However, the Barzite ending revealed that absolute perfection is possible through canisters. Thus, I don't really care how I acheive perfection, be it through canisters or geneforges. It makes no difference as long as I get it.

--------------------
You lose.
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #9
It would be more useful to be a shaper from sucia isle then you could shape your self without loosing your humanness.

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #10
@Emperor Tullegolar What is your definition of humanity? Cause by my defintion they decrease and removes your humanity.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #11
A very good question, Lord Safey. I suppose if you use the word humanity literally, you may be correct. After all, the only thing that makes us human as opposed to something else is our genes, and the canisters alter the genes directly. So I suppose it is accurate to say you are becomming less human with each one you use.

If that is the case, I'm going to have to agree with Arachnid. Why be human when you can be something superior? In fact, I no longer consider the title 'human' worthey of someone with such power and clarity. Hmm, what should the new perfect species created by canisters and the geneforge be called?

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #12
Techincally any two organisims that can reproduce and produce off sping that can produce offsprings your the same spieices. The problem with canisters and the geneforge is that it modifys the DNA. The DNA is extermly complex about 100 million genes.These genes combine with each other to make other genes. Modifying your gense with out makeing a mistake is logisitcally impossible. The more you modify your self the more mistakes you expose your self too.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #13
By humanity I was actually talking about how they make you cruel, quick to anger, idiotically rash, etc.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #14
btw Garrison in my signature while the phrase is not original, the context in Matrix helps to illustrate the point in a manner that is familiar to many people, but thanks for pointing out the origin of the phrase; it made for an interesting diversion.

[ Thursday, December 28, 2006 07:55: Message edited by: The_Other_Guy ]

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #15
I would not want you to change your signature. I just wanted to point that out in case you thought Cipher was the first character or person who ever said that. In context, Cipher's quotation has a more profound effect on people today anyway. The Matrix, meaning the virtual world itself, is the perfect setting for the phrase.

In the context of this topic question, I would define humanity as the quality of having the kind emotional and behavioral characteristics that are often described as uniquely human because they differentiate people from animals, such as empathy, compassion, mercy, and love. Genetically speaking, as long as the canister modified individual still has a heart, two lungs, and an even number of limbs, he is human.

I agree with Tullegolar on this one in that I would take as many canisters as possible. From an egocentric point of view, there really are few reasons not to do so. Regret over losing the previously mentioned human emotions will be overshadowed by the overwhelmingly euphoric feelings of mania provided by the overconsumption of glowing canister contents. Hollow happiness is better than nothing.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Warrior
Member # 7764
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

In fact, I no longer consider the title 'human' worthey of someone with such power and clarity.
Unfortuantly for you you ARE a human in real life (no matter how much you pretend you aren't ) and wishful thinking won't help you

quote:

what should the new perfect species created by canisters and the geneforge be called?
How about "moronic-insane-retards with glowing skin and unstable power who think their better than anyone else?" ;) :P

--------------------
I have a karma of 2!Yay!
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Eater of Pancakes:
quote:

what should the new perfect species created by canisters and the geneforge be called?
How about "moronic-insane-retards with glowing skin and unstable power who think their better than anyone else?" ;) :P [/QB]
As opposed to the alternative: target practice. <3

This poll brings up an interesting question: is it possible for enough canister abuse to kill you? It is widely assumed that using the Geneforge a second time would be fatal, and if the canisters are mini-Geneforges, it seems likely that enough could eventually kill you.

Or maybe not: maybe you'll become so powerful you won't even need your mortal shell and you'll forsake your physical body. That would be pretty sweet.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #18
Originally by Arachnid:

quote:
It is widely assumed that using the Geneforge a second time would be fatal...
Where did that come from? Dikiyoba is only familiar with the the book in G1 that says after using the geneforge, the user will be able to safely swim in it. It's impossible to use the same geneforge twice, because there's no genes able to be rewritten.
Warrior
Member # 7764
Profile #19
Why does Dikiyoba refer to Dikiyoba in the 3rd person?

Is it one of those things you do when your a popular person?

--------------------
I have a karma of 2!Yay!
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #20
* * Spoilers * *

quote:
"The Geneforge swirls and pulses before you. You don't dare touch it again. A second dose would undoubtedly kill you."
Taken directly from the Southforge Citadel script.

quote:
"I would stay away from it. Don't get close. It can have a powerful and deadly pull on those who should use it least."
Greta says this. (Although admitedly, it is somewhat ambiguous)

I could have sworn there were more examples. I'll take another look later.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #21
Originally by Arachnid:

quote:
quote:
"The Geneforge swirls and pulses before you. You don't dare touch it again. A second dose would undoubtedly kill you."
Taken directly from the Southforge Citadel script.
So it depends on the geneforge. Here's how the original one is described:

quote:
"_Then, when the chosen is rewritten, the pool may do no more. The changing will be done and no more changing can have any effect. The user may swim in the pool safely. Such will be the power._";
---

Originally by Eater of Pancakes:

quote:
Why does Dikiyoba refer to Dikiyoba in the 3rd person?
Because Dikiyoba can, of course.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #22
You can actually use the Northforge Citadel geneforge and die from it, having already used the Southforge one.

It is worth pointing out, though, that the effects of the Southforge geneforge are significantly less pronounced than those of the original geneforge.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #23
The original Geneforge was ridiculously powerful, and could easily kill even a veteran user of canisters like Trajkov without the proper gloves. I am sure that using too many canisters in too short of a time would be lethal. The body would not be able to adapt to the changes in the genes quickly enough. However, I am confident that a skilled genetic shaper could virtually endlessly modify his own genes without too much danger as long as it was done over time.

--------------------
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #24
When useing geneforge or canisters. Their are proably 3 different set of problems you have worry about. First is the shock to your body. With no protection your body is likely to die from shock from use of the geneforge. 2nd is your body immunes system trying to reject to changes could cuase some intresting problems. 3rd is the slow but sure accumaltion of mistakes. Statsitcally each use will introduce a minor mistake and after you use a few hundred/thousand. The mistakes become more pronuced. I like to point out the teacher who joined the rebillion and the shaper who started useing them without realizeing it.

--------------------

Pages