Pet Peeves

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Pet Peeves
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #50
Actually, if I recall correctly what Riibu said she was, enough people have heard of them that they're not exactly small and unknown. :P
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #51
Add Belgium to my list of pet peeves.

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #52
Mine is an exception then? :P

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waiting for medication. I could really use some.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #53
I'm telling you, those Mohamedans are a cult. If we add the infidel Catholics onto the list, there's only half as many of them as of us. [/chick]

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #54
More peeves:
-anyone who claims to have 'the answer' to society's ills
-NAMBLA. creepy squared.
-two-party systems
-televangelists
-misguided patriotism
-insurance companies
-potholes
-the 700 mHz Apple Emac. piece of crap.
-the sound of phones ringing
-television news 'reporting' in the US (perhaps with the exception of 'Frontline')
-middlemen in general
and so on...

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #55
More:
-When people scream in your ear
-Stupid teachers that tell you to smile (when there is absolutely no reason to)
-Mindless exams
-"Upgrades" to programs that seem to be worse than what the program was originally like

--------------------
The Club of All
Chance Forums
I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count=406+whatever it says below.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #56
- People who hate Jehovah's Witnesses :rolleyes:
- Eggs
- Dog tongues
- Dog noses
- Dogs (did I already say that?)
- People who cling to their nice little liberal hippie beliefs, and then laugh at me for reading any part of the newspaper other than the comics
- Slow + jumpy graphics, which I experienced for the first time yesterday when I installed WC3...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #57
my ISP who increased to price of internet

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain, ohhh, I'm tired of the strain and the pain.

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Apprentice
Member # 2581
Profile #58
Hmm. Most of my pet peeves begin and end either with me, me in a car, or me at school. For the most part I'd like to believe myself a big enough person to forgive other people their differences, but, then again, everyone gets upset about something, it would seem.
(The keenly observant among you might notice that I am, in fact, a bit of a hypocrite. I readily admit this, and for the most part take steps to avoid it, but honestly, who isn't a bit hypocritical at times? I think hypocrisy is part of the human condition, and whereas it should be avoided if possible, isn't necessarily the screaming offense some would make it out to be.)

My list looks mostly like this:

Serious Complaints:
-Rapists, child molesters and any other sort of perpetrator of sex crime. (If I had my way, I'd go over to some sort of sex-offender's prison with this here Desert Eagle and with any luck the only person left alive in the building would be me. And then the cops would show up, and I'd probably get the death penalty for mass murder, but hey, that's the breaks, I suppose.)
-NAMBLA. (See above comment, except replace the desert eagle with some sort of razor-tipped electrical devices, which might in fact keep them alive for hours before killing them.)
-Racists. (Quit giving white people a bad name, you misbegotten trailer-trash sons of ignorant whores! Ahem. Sorry.)
-The KKK and similar groups for any nationality.
-The ACLU. (Hey, I'm all for civil liberties and the like, but anyone who would go so far as to support any of the aforementioned is one subpoena short of a class-action suit, thank you very much.)
-The Holier-Than-Thou camp. (Nobody in particular, mind you, they just bug me.)

Minor Annoyances:
-Hip-Hop and its derivative works. (I know, I'm just an unreasonable bastard.)
-The Irrevocably Trendy. (I just can't quite wrap my mind around the lifestyle, I'm sorry.)
-The Flamingly Gay. (No offense. I'm personally somewhere in the bisexual field (despite having not actually acted on any of those feelings yet), but for some reason people who seem to be having some sort of personal contest to see who can appear the most gay irritate me. In my mind, it should be a non-issue, but ah well.)

Driving Woes:
-People who drive under the speed limit in front of me.
-People who aggressively drive under the speed limit in front of me.
-People who drive in front of me in general.
-The perfectly well-justified and in a general way absolutely right police officer who gave me a speeding ticket, whom I still absolutely loathe the guts of.

[ Saturday, June 21, 2003 22:01: Message edited by: Chintznibbles and Stuff ]

--------------------
Stuff? Don't mind if I do, thanks.
This may, in fact, be a long, rambling post without much bearing on the topic of the thread. Consider yourself warned.
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #59
My god! Someone call an ambulance! I think Djur just had a stroke!

[ Saturday, June 21, 2003 22:06: Message edited by: La Mort ]

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #60
You see, the big problem with the law is that when we changed from stoning outsiders to giving anybody a chance to defend themselves no matter what they'd done, we didn't explain why to anyone.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Warrior
Member # 2128
Profile #61
quote:
Originally posted by Khoth:
quote:
Originally posted by Iolanda:
quote:
- All those people who think my religion is a cult. It isn't.
Whats your religion?

Just look up "list of cults" on Google :P

You'll find it there, along with lots of other religions that also aren't cults (the people who make lists like that seem to define "cult" as "small religion that isn't ours")

Sorry for the Quotes-in-quotes.

But thats the point why I asked. What is a cult? I am (a quite critical) roman-catholic. I guess, that is a church (there is a double-meaning in the german word, Kirche=church means the Building AND the institution).
My best friend at school was neuapostolisch (new-apostolian!?), I lived next to the rooms of Jehowas witnesses when I studied in Aachen, an at my school there are pupils from all over the world with beliefs from all over the world. I was just interested. Riibu, you maybe PM me?

[ Sunday, June 22, 2003 09:36: Message edited by: Iolanda ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #62
Chintznibbles has singlehandedly lowered my opinion of the boards by 50%.

Congratulations.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 2581
Profile #63
Yesss!

*Pumps fist in the air*

(Actually, I do apologize, though, if I offended or perhaps disappointed you somehow... Such as it is, an apology will likely do no good, but ah well. Have a nice day, in that case.)

--------------------
Stuff? Don't mind if I do, thanks.
This may, in fact, be a long, rambling post without much bearing on the topic of the thread. Consider yourself warned.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #64
quote:
- People who hate Jehovah's Witnesses
You'd really hate me in real life.

quote:
People who cling to their nice little liberal hippie beliefs, and then laugh at me for reading any part of the newspaper other than the comics

A) Yeah, nice little liberal hippy beliefs are the worst - peace and love, who the hell wants that? Certainly not Christians like yourself, David.

B) I refuse to believe these people exist.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #65
Ugh. If you want to know what she is, search for "Jehovah's Witness" in General under her name. I can't find the post that has all that stuff, but I do remember it was about Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, in part. I think. Let's not turn this into a religious debate though. And CaS, it's ok. Really.

EDIT: A) Not worth responding to.

B) I know/am friends with several.

[ Sunday, June 22, 2003 10:58: Message edited by: iDavid ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #66
1) :rolleyes: Avoidance of questions because they require you to either:
A) Denounce the entire basis of your religion
B) Admit that you are wrong.

2) Many lefties.

3) People killing other people, for whatever reason.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #67
OK, if you really want me to respond, I will... hippies believe in peace and love exclusively like Urban II believed in forgiveness. Anyway, hippies are defined by drugs and sex, not peace and love.

EDIT: What's with "plib"?

EDIT2: - When people look past all the parts of a post and only see one, specifically the weakest part.

[ Monday, June 23, 2003 05:09: Message edited by: iDavid ]

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #68
1. Sir David and his ilk--"Oh, I'm Christian, but I'm not like all those hypocritical Christians who believe they're exclusively right about everything, even though I get all up-in-arms and offended every time someone disagrees with me and clearly think I'm in the right even though I deny it to sound good! Boo hoo, everyone hates me and disagrees with me because I'm Christian! I'm such a persecuted martyr!"

2. Christians who really do believe that they're right about everything because of the Bible, which is everything Alec said-- an inexact translation of an inexact translation that's 4000 years out of date anyway. It should be thought of along the same lines as the Epic of Gilgamesh, in my opinion--useful for understanding what life was like back then, but taken no more seriously than Greek mythology.

3. Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Concerned Women For America, PETA, Mission America and all those other people/groups who are sending this country to hell in a handbasket.

4. Bush and company.

5. Blind patriots who would support Bush if he decreed that all Americans must run to the nearest bridge and jump off it, because AMERICA IS GREAT and BUSH IS ALWAYS RIGHT.

6. People who use "gay" as an insult.

7. Little boys from the ages of 1 to 14.

8. The Revere Brigade.

9. Reality TV.

10. Seven-year-old girls who wear tube tops and hoochie shorts.

11. Boy bands, Britney Spears, Avril Lavigne and any and all rap. (Don't hurt me, Drakey.)

12. People who whine incessantly when deprived of their X-boxes for a week because they were sightseeing in Rome. (I just spent a week in Rome with my Latin class and assorted annoying 8th-graders, and one kid actually uttered the sentence, "I can't believe I'm stuck in Rome when I could be at Dungeons and Dragons camp." He wouldn't shut up about how much he missed his video games. We tried to push him off the top story of the Colosseum, but our chaperone caught us.)

[ Monday, June 23, 2003 05:51: Message edited by: Mangophobia ]

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #69
Oh, sorry, I forgot:

- RoR.

EDIT: And

- Kogar and his "ilk", aka fundamental atheists.
- Fundamentalists.
- The word "ilk".

[ Monday, June 23, 2003 05:57: Message edited by: iDavid ]

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #70
quote:
Originally posted by iDavid:
EDIT2: - When people look past all the parts of a post and only see one, specifically the weakest part.
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #71
What's wrong with plib? It's better than a link to protestwarrior.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #72
Ho-hum

- People who ask too many questions about me.
- People who talk too much.
- Teenagers and young adults, the so called "normals";how the hell can they keep on talking about celebrities and classmates? Urgh.
- Swedish.
- American idiots; some sort of breed of humans that microwave their cats.
- Crowds.

--------------------
KhothMk2: You don't get 72 virgin camels though
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #73
Apart from that snide comment about hippies insulting the whole of my immediate family, I'm willing to let it slide.

I would love to correct you of this misinformation about hippies, but it seems that people have been trying to correct your various ignorances since you joined these boards. But I might as well try.

It seems that the idea of hippies just being about drugs and sex is quite widespread in America. Probably because you haven't had any "real" hippies since the Vietnam War.

All the hippies I know are peace-loving people, who may like to use recreational drugs occasionally. My dad (long-time hippy) has never smoked a joint in his life.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #74
A few more...

X. Good threads that degenerate into stupid arguments.

Y. People who complain when bad threads become interesting arguments.

Z. People who insult or claim to dislike something they actually know nothing about. A possible exception to this is food; some things are just so disgusting in concept that they're not worth trying. Haggis is a case in point.

—Alorael, who is willing to concede that haggis may taste wonderful. That doesn't change the fact that it deserves to be banned by 51 of America's states in order to promote morality, sanity, sanitation, and general happiness and well-being.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages