Pet Peeves

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Pet Peeves
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #125
Country is better than punk.

(Both of the genres make me vomit spasmatically, mind you.)

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #126
Add rap an punk to my list of pet peeves. Same with country, R&B, Soul, Soft Rock, Nature, Light Jazz, Modern Impressionist (for the most part), Heavy Metal, Ska, Techno, and Death Metal.

I enjoy 60's and 70's rock (Beatles, Zeppelin), Classical (ranging from Baroque to the end of the Romantic), and jazz before the 50's. But mainly classical.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #127
The only music which grates on my nerves uniformly is soft jazz and big band. Besides that I don't make any categoric judgements.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #128
I dislike most lyrics in music. Don't ask me why. This pretty much leaves me liking classical, some jazz, and very little otherwise.

—Alorael, who also has to admit that music that exists only to vent anger and noise irritates him more than any other kind of music. Expressions of anger are fine, but don't call them a kind of art they're not.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #129
"Beatles" and "Zeppelin" are not good examples of 60's-70's rock. Beatles are exceedingly mediocre, and Zeppelin is exceedingly awful.

Me? Eh, what the hell. Here's what's on my library right now (favorites are bolded):

Akima & Neos, Alan Parsons Project, America, BeeGees, Bill Withers, Billy Joel, Boa, Bob Dylan, Boston, Boston Pops, Buffalo Springfield, Chicago, the Clash, The Commodores, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Dazz Band, Deep Purple, Depeche Mode, Dire Straits, DJ Hex (Sam Potter, for those of you who know him), Do As Infinity, Don Henley, Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Earth Wind and Fire, Edwin Starr, ELO, Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac, Foghat, Genesis, George Benson, Gerry Rafferty, The Guess Who?, Gundam W, Hall and Oates, Heatwave, Inkspots, Jimi Hendrix, Joe Jackson, John Cougar Mellencamp, John Lennon (NOT the Beatles), Meatloaf, Napoleon XIV, Neil Young, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Rush, Sir Mixalot, Steely Dan!!! (most definitely my favorite band of all time, and the best composers I've ever heard in my goddamn life so help me god [who doesn't exist]), Supertramp, Sweet, Tavares, Terror's Martyr (follow the link- but be warned, it's all... ...unique music :P ), Three Dog Night, Tom Lehrer (I LOVE SMUT), Tom Petty, The Who

EDIT: One of the bands above is most definitely in my profile. A cookie to whoever gets it right first.

[ Sunday, June 29, 2003 16:26: Message edited by: Expanding Man ]

--------------------

Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #130
I'm sure Led Zeppelin thinks the same of you.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #131
...the way you phrased that, I'm almost convinced that you think that it's a person. :-\

[ Sunday, June 29, 2003 19:20: Message edited by: Expanding Man ]

--------------------

Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #132
-Bureaucrats
-Piano jazz
-FF X
-"Sword Girls"

--------------------

~ §øСüm
©ÿªñ¡Ðë ~
Mission Ridge -- All Your Snow Are Belong to Us.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #133
TM, i can't believe you diss Led Zeppelin and then hold Boston and the Eagles up as GOOD examples of 60/70s rock. One day, Don Henley will inhabit the same hell as Roman Polanski.
Don't get me wrong, I actually have a secret liking of Boston (much to my girlfriend's chagrin), but Zeppelin was WAY more inventive and influential than Boston could ever hope to be.
And Revolver was a milestone, in my opinion.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #134
A couple more pet peeves:

- People who think Good Charlotte, NoFX, GOB, Sum 41, etc. are punk. Christ, that irritates me. What ever else it may be, noisy commercial skate rock is not punk.

- Cat piss.

- Girls who wear too much perfume and guys who wear too much aftershave.

As for my musical tastes, I am something a fan of the Dead Kennedys. The message is great, the music greater. East Bay Ray in particular plays the best guitar - and the riffs are something different. Annoyingly enough, I know a lot of people who say they love DK, and wear all the logos and everything - but don't understand the satire at all. Also in my collection are Nirvana, Pavement, Dr. Know and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. An eclectic mix, I know, and an eccentric one for someone my age, but I listen to the radio a lot, and if I hear something I like, I'll go out and buy it. I've wasted a lot of money on CDs I've ended up hating.

[ Monday, June 30, 2003 09:57: Message edited by: Comma Z ]

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #135
Alorael is reminded that most rave / house / techno etc music is typically lyricless, though hardly Mozart (not the operas, I mean!).
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #136
I always want to throttle people who think that Avril Lavigne is punk. I mean, really.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #137
X, I have enjoyed some rave / house / techno, but not much. It's not so much a problem with the style as the fact that I just find most individual pieces of music unappealing.

—Alorael, who would call it the difference between noise and music, but since some people like that style it obviously is music. So he'll say he only likes music that sounds like music to him.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #138
How very ambiguous. Thank you Alorael. You've really cleared up what music you like. Now I can go to sleep with the knowledge that your musical tastes are secure.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #139
Non-lyrical classic, apparently. I feel sorry for you then. I like almost all genres of music, because I judge by the song, not the genre (I find that almost every genre has at least one good song). Some genres contain more songs that I find to my liking, or course, but I really don't have a preference of genre.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.

Pages