Pet Peeves

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Pet Peeves
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #75
Ally, you forgot to mention bagpipes.
[Flashback]
It was a nice evening in spring. I was a mere lad back in those days... perhaps ten or eleven years old. I had a smile on my face, and stood in the middle of the soccer field, the rest of my team standing scattered amidst the lush green grass. Then the whistle blew.

I stepped to the right, then kicked the ball with my left foot to the player who had cut across behind me. Sprinting ahead, I could hear the calls of the other players, yelling at <name forgotten> to dribble down the line. Glancing to the left for a moment, I saw a defender collide with the left forward. The ball went spinning out of bounds.

Turning to watch my teammate retrieve the ball, I heard a strange noise, one that I had never heard before. But then, the ball was in play, and I forgot it. The left forward had feinted right, then drove relentlessly down the line. I called out to him - I was in position, ready to fire that ball into the the back of the goal.

Tense, I watched as the ball rolled speedily toward me. Pulling back, adjusting to meet the ball with full force, I looked up. And stopped.

It was that noise again. Except this time, it was much worse. It ground into my bones, and I staggered with the effort of keeping my balance. The sound was like a blaring ambulance, a dying elephant, a battleship colliding with a gargantuan chalkboard.

It was a bagpipe. I missed the ball.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #76
I love it.

Morgan, I was talking in general, not about your family.

Imban... you know, there are some sayings that apply all of the time, and others that apply some of the time. That was one of the latter.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Apprentice
Member # 2581
Profile #77
Haggis? What, do we have a problem with a sheep's heart, liver and kidneys cooked in its stomach? I mean, sure, hearts aren't quite often on the menu, but I'm told they taste fairly well, being that they're all lean muscle and all. Kidneys and liver are fairly day-to-day foods across the pond, as it were, though the US doesn't see quite as many of them...

Though, biologically speaking, I'm not entirely sure why anyone would want to eat either organ. Liver: filters poisonous substances out of the blood. Kidneys: filters mostly waste out of the blood. Yuck. I mean, they've got to have like all these poison and urine and the like built up somewhere in there... doesn't exactly sound like a good time.

Adding to the list of my annoying qualities, I happen to like bagpipes. Nyah. :P
(I suppose being Scottish-ish probably helps on the bagpipe-appreciation count, but hey. Whatever works, I suppose.)

--------------------
Stuff? Don't mind if I do, thanks.
This may, in fact, be a long, rambling post without much bearing on the topic of the thread. Consider yourself warned.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #78
And the liver produces bile. But the kidney maintains the blood's salt/sugar balance, so it may have some seasoning built right in!

Motrax - gasp! A fellow soccer player?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #79
Yes Drakey! My long-lost brother!

*Huggles, in a bit-too-familiar fasion*

--------------------
Polaris
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #80
Get a room, you two. :P

I like bagpipes. I once went to a commencement ceremony where they played "Pomp and Circumstance" on bagpipes for the processional. It was cool.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #81
Drakey, I thought you played basketball...

As for bagpipes, like any other instrument (well, almost any other, I still can't stand harmonicas), they can sound good IF played correctly, and if playing good music. As long as you throw in some bodhrans and Irish tin whistles, they can make for some good Celtic music... *dodges tomatos*

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #82
... i play basketball...

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #83
Bah! Basketball is for those who... don't play ping-pong well. Yeah, that's right. Ping-pong is the best sport ever, although I do like tennis. If any of you decide to visit Washington DC, I can show you around, tell you which museums are fun, which resteraunts are edible, and then I can beat you up at ping-pong.

And that was a true story, although I didn't miss a shot becuase of the bagpiper. But he would come to random practices (I assume he lived in one of the nearby houses) and blast away on his bagpipe. It didn't bother me too much, but I still detest the instrument. Yay4Piano!

--------------------
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #84
Bring it on Motrax :-P. You wouldn't stand a chance against me at table tennis. It's the lazy man's sport (one step up from chess).

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #85
Or down, as chess usually requires a longer period of concentration.

On that note, I fence. If anyone wants to be stabbed, I'm your man. And fencing is a very good lazy sport: It requires little movement (although you have to be fast when you do move) and you have a break in between every single point, which means every 10-30 seconds. Plus a match is hardly long...

-E-

[ Wednesday, June 25, 2003 11:12: Message edited by: Omlette ]

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #86
I'm very bored, so I'm lurking. I should point out that fencing is only a sport for the lazy if you are very very good. Otherwise, prepare to flail, waste energy because you can't keep your movements small enough and start blinking due to the huge amounts of sweat covering your face. It's very tiring.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #87
Chess is most certainly more of a lazyman's sport than either of those, it requires no movement other than that of the arms, fingers, and mouth... and lungs and heart of course...

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #88
You forgot the brains. :P :P

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #89
Chess is not a sport. Chess is a very entertaining and challenging game (depending on your opponent, of course), but it is not a sport.

—Alorael, who would like to point out that ping-pong can be quite a workout if you have to flee vigorously from angry opponents when you beat them and dodge very fast oncoming balls and paddles and such.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #90
:BananaGrin:

--------------------
Polaris
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #91
My soccer playing is limited to pre-4th grade. One time in 7th grade during recess, however, I learned an exercize in pain. I was playing defender (aka "Bowl everyone over and kick the ball in their general direction with intent to cause injury"). Everyone else was offender (aka "Run like hell from the defender"). In a period of 15 minutes, I was nailed squarely in the balls five times, and only quit playing after the fifth.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #92
Grade nine was my last required year of FIZZ ED. I got a 53, if I recall correctly. I am inept at all sports requiring hand-eye co-ordination, particularly those of the table tennis/badminton ilk. They are another pet peeve.

And FIZZ ED teachers, especially short female ones with lungs of brass and track suits.

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #93
Haha. That reminds me of my seventh grade fizzed teacher. Short and fat. She drove a car to the track that was next door to our school (my Middle and High schools are neighbors, and the track is at the high scool). She certainly gave us a warm greeting when we finished the 2 minutes walk!

--------------------
Polaris
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #94
Basketball is the roxxorz
What that has to do with pet peeves is up to you.

--------------------
Saundersw3: And bitter is better!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #95
I'm good at basketball too. I'm white and I can jump, so people are always surprised when I beat them. My touch on jumpers isn't the best, but I'm great driving to the hoop and making runners in the lane. I've got a crazy finger roll.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #96
Terminology...so...laughable...

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #97
*sigh* Crazy Brits.

I did a Maradona and Cruyff combination on the touchline to cut inside and then bent a leftie hit from 25 yards just inside the far post to put our team out 1-0.

[ Thursday, June 26, 2003 02:50: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
====
====
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #98
And what sport is that?

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #99
Well, you figure Drakey has to be good at basketball. All that Vahnatai height and grace...

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.

Pages