Getting political

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Getting political
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
[McCain] will probably pick Huckabee as his running mate, which will really be shooting himself in the foot
Ironically, it would more or less prevent him getting shot anywhere else. I believe this was called the Quayle effect, which Bush successfully recycled with Cheney.

In other circles, it is called "good cop, bad cop".
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #26
It seems to me that McCain might be too old for the job. However, both Huckabee and Romney slightly creep me out. More so Romney because I'm related to a few Mormons...

I'm all for Obama; however, I'd be satisfied with Hillary as well. Although I'm slightly bothered that it seems that a large number of women are voting for Clinton just because she's a woman...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I'd have thought you'd be voting for yourself as a write-in candidate.
I plan on registering my grandma without her consent so that I can force her to do this for me.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #28
Unless you're older than 35, that wouldn't do you any good...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #29
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Hillary will be the next President of the United States.
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

*raises a glass*

Here, here!

quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

Although I'm slightly bothered that it seems that a large number of women are voting for Clinton just because she's a woman...
She needs the votes though, because Obama has blacks voting for him just because he's black. It just evens things out.

[ Friday, February 08, 2008 06:16: Message edited by: Jewelz ]

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Warrior
Member # 7745
Profile #30
I'm British, but i wanted Kucinich to win. Unfortunately, he pulled out so now i want Obama or Paul should win.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #31
quote:

Unless you're older than 35, that wouldn't do you any good...
Constitution shmonstitution.

All I need is a signature, which is fairly easy to coerce out of an old woman. It worked on my mother. She votes on my behalf as well (I'll be telling her to vote for McCain this year). I actually don't vote at all myself. I don't believe in democracy.

[ Friday, February 08, 2008 07:48: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Thank you for clearing that up.

quote:
As a more direct answer to your question, his support is young and Internet-based. Why, I have no idea. But that's who it is.
I already heard something to that effect, but I more or less disbelieved it before because I expected the "young, internet-based" segment to vote more liberally on average. I have yet to see a forum whose Political Compass mean does not lie in the third quadrant.

"Young, internet-based" doesn't mean "liberal". It means "extreme". If the liberal people proudly show off their -10, -10 political compas scores, you shouldn't be surprised that the conservative minority proudly show off their +10, -10 scores. (Think of Ron Paul as the Liberaterian equivalent of Kucinich.)

[ Friday, February 08, 2008 09:16: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by Jewelz:

quote:

Although I'm slightly bothered that it seems that a large number of women are voting for Clinton just because she's a woman...
She needs the votes though, because Obama has blacks voting for him just because he's black. It just evens things out.[/QB]
While that may be true, there are many more woman in this country than there are blacks. So it doesn't even out...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #34
quote:

[quote=Jewelz]
quote:

She needs the votes though, because Obama has blacks voting for him just because he's black. It just evens things out.

While that may be true, there are many more woman in this country than there are blacks. So it doesn't even out...[/QB][/quote]There is also a significant number of men who vote against her because she is a woman. So it all evens out in the end.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #35
But Hillary will lose some votes just because she's a Clinton so it will all even out...

Edit: Hmm, maybe all future Democratic primaries should be canceled in favor of a giant obstacle course full of wildly swinging bridges, tilted floors and other objects designed to throw candidates off balance. The candidate with the fewest falls wins.

Dikiyoba.

[ Friday, February 08, 2008 09:43: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #36
To win, he'd have to keep changing his position. This is political suicide in the US. :P

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #37
quote:

To win, he'd have to keep changing his position. This is political suicide in the US. :P
So, last person to consider running for president is the winner, if nothing more than by default?

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

quote:

quote:
Originally written by Jewelz:

quote:

While that may be true, there are many more woman in this country than there are blacks. So it doesn't even out...
There is also a significant number of men who vote against her because she is a woman. So it all evens out in the end.
Young people don't vote, and there aren't enough blacks to swing it in favor of Obama either. With Edwards gone, white males will sooner turn to a white women than to a black man. If you want I can look up statistics for you all. Hillary will win.

--------------------
You lose.
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #39
quote:
"Young, internet-based" doesn't mean "liberal". It means "extreme".[/QB]
You're close, sir, but it tends to mean something more like "socially isolated." Many socially isolated people turn to radical ideologies (note: religion is a prime example) so they can feel accepted by some imaginary group of comrades, after which they begin to see other people as objects for verifying their radicalism. ("You're against abortion? Well, I just ate ten fetuses!") Separate out fake extremists by observing whose stances are more nuanced and who treats the truth as coming before ideology.

Some extremists can be sincere. It's the spoiled-and-lonely brats who aren't really extremeists, and will drop their politics to grow up into hipsters when they figure out which of the two is more effective at scoring pussy. :rolleyes: It's that same group of people, incidentally, which has done the most to harm the goals of sincere extremists.

Although all of you bright men and women appear more than genuine in your convictions, so spare me the indulgence of pointing out what must be obvious to the whole lot of you. :)
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Diprosopus:

"You're against abortion? Well, I just ate ten fetuses!"
But the cholesterols! Think of them!

At least with the Hillary in the White House there will be more talk about nationalized health care.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

(Think of Ron Paul as the Liberaterian equivalent of Kucinich.)
Ain't nothing extreme about Kucinich, at least by global standards. He's basically a European-style centre-left social democrat.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #42
I didn't vote in the poll because there isn't a choice of the lesser of all evils. The quality of candidates has fallen so much in the last 8 years that it's not because I want that person in office as much as I don't want the opponent.

For the Republicans it's now pretty much John McCain. The last of the Keating 5 that faced ethics charges for try to keep bank regulators from investigating what turned out to be a fraud ridden bank. McCain reformed especially after his wife was found siphoning off drugs from a charity medical program for personal use. Nothing like a little scandal to make you go straight. Most of you are too young to remember these little character incidents.

Obama is the great unknown since he avoids defining his positions with votes. He claims to be against what people hate, but he never takes any leadership in the Senate to do anything to effect change. Maybe when he grows a spine.

Clinton at least is a known. We've had 8 years with Bill in office to what he'll do. His politics are well defined and we know he will listen before acting. Oh, he's not running. Well Hillary isn't going to ignore an experienced advisor and we know that once she's in charge that she'll keep a tight rein on Bill's activities with the interns. At least here we have someone that listens and will bring people into government that will make the country run properly. She won't have to gather power since Bush will have done the job for her.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #43
I actually think Huckabee has a shot still, bizarrely enough. If he takes essentially a 50/50 split of the remaining delegates with McCain, McCain won't have an outright majority and it'll go to a brokered convention, and Huckabee is a really good speaker - I wouldn't put it past him to pull out a suprise win.

I mean, he basically performed on par with Romney on Tuesday, despite Romney having all the "We have to stop McCain" votes and everyone writing Huckabee off completely.

I would love Huck to get the nomination, if only for the awesome underdog story of it. I'd also love to see an Obama vs. Huckabee election because it would be so refreshingly polite. :)

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #44
I'd also love an Obama vs. Huckabee election - I would be fine with either as president. We also would finally be able to see Huckabee not have to pander to the far right and actually be himself.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #45
It is amusing that one of the voters in this poll appears to have registered as a democrat in order to vote on a democratic candidate, then as a republican to vote on a republican - does this work with the real primaries too? :P

Question 1:
10 democrats
4 republicans
12 independent

Question 2:
9 democrats
5 republicans
12 independent

--------------------
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #46
quote:

By the way, is this written in ignorance of Romney's evolution, or a reference to him?

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

By the way, is this written in ignorance of Romney's evolution, or a reference to him?
I heard that Huckabee doesn't believe in Romney's evolution.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

quote:

To him, among others. I find it amusing that Romney seems to earn as much criticism from the right for speaking out for abortion and gay marriage fourteen bloody years ago as he earns from the left for opposing them now.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #49
quote:
Originally written by The Ratt:

What if we don't like any of them?
Agreed.

I've been a registered voter since late 1995. Since then, I have yet to see a presidential candidate who's actually worthy of the post, or any politician in general who doesn't run a campaign without resorting to smearing his/her opponent's reputation and kissing a lot of a**.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.

Pages