Getting political

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Getting political
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #50
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

It is amusing that one of the voters in this poll appears to have registered as a democrat in order to vote on a democratic candidate, then as a republican to vote on a republican - does this work with the real primaries too? :P

Some states allow you to change party registration to cross over to vote in another party's primary. A few states allow you to vote without changing registration. The rest just disenfranchise independents from voting in party primaries.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #51
I find it kind of scary that Huckabee is our Republican section's favorite.

This accurately matches the "internet extremist" theory, however.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #52
...and Huckabee just smashed McCain in Kansas, 60% to 24%. I hope this means we still have a contest. :)

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #53
"We?" Is there a Canberra in America I'm not familiar with?
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #54
Hey, Australia's close enough to being the 51st state of the USA that I feel justified in taking an interest. :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #55
FYI to all:

Romeny dropped out along with Mike Gravel

[ Saturday, February 09, 2008 15:50: Message edited by: Xel'Raga the Slaughtering Omni ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #56
Thank you Cpt. O. sir. Now read my first post.

In other news, Huckabee is praying for a miracle. Whether he is praying for the laws of mathematics to get up and walk away, or for McCain to have a coronary is not quite clear. Either of those would conceivably give him a chance. :P

(Although Bush just endorsed McCain. So who knows.)

Edit: Obama won Maine and closed the gap (according to CNN) to 27 delegates. Before Saturday, said gap was around 95.

[ Sunday, February 10, 2008 15:32: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #57
I wonder if Obama will start calling himself the Comeback Kid just to rub it in.

--------------------
You lose.
Apprentice
Member # 6795
Profile #58
My two cents (and no sense): anyone who actually wants to be a politician isn't worth voting for.

:D
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #59
quote:
Originally written by BigHungryJoe:

My two cents (and no sense): anyone who actually wants to be a politician isn't worth voting for.

Must resist... must resist... must, ahh! Resistance is futile!

"To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem.
" -The Restraunt at the End of the Universe, Hitchhiker's Trilogy, Douglas Adams

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #60
I now I have the urge to flaunt my own knowledge of political philosophy. I never read the Hitchhikers Guide, but that particular bit of wisdom is best attributed to Plato.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #61
Perhaps it's time for a little wisdom and humor from a former presidential hopeful.

—Alorael, who invites anyone and everyone to take a look at other attempts at political humor.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #62
quote:
Originally written by BigHungryJoe:

My sentiments exactly. Nowadays it seems like it's not a question of which candidate is most worthy, but which one is the least unworthy.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #63
Having participated in a discussion ex fora yesterday, I can tell you that support for Huckabee is not solely in the ether. Many people still remember that McCain played a rather dim role in the political history of the United States, at least as far as Republicans are concerned. He was a staunch supporter of campaign finance reform, yet in 1989 he was the recipient of an ethics squad investigation for his role in the Keating Savings and Loan Scandal.

So, I think I'll excuse those folks who see Huckabee as a better alternative to McCain, and perhaps not be so swift to judge the relative merits of the candidates. Party voters have a long memory in this country, which when coupled with their short attention span makes them extremely wily. If McCain was to be elected, the list of favors he owed would rival that of Bush. I'm not sure the country is ready for that again, at least this soon.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #64
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

(Think of Ron Paul as the Liberaterian equivalent of Kucinich.)
Ain't nothing extreme about Kucinich, at least by global standards. He's basically a European-style centre-left social democrat.

How many major European countries have disbanded their armies and replaced Department of Defence with Department of Peace? That's not the only "non-standard" thing Kucinich proposed, but that's the one I've heard about the most lately.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #65
quote:

How many major European countries have disbanded their armies and replaced Department of Defence with Department of Peace? That's not the only "non-standard" thing Kucinich proposed, but that's the one I've heard about the most lately.
Wouldn't it be the logical next step? After all, it used to be Department of War less than 100 years ago.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #66
Aww, poor widdle Romney

http://www.crooksandliars.com/Media/Play/26130/1/TDS-Romney-Goodbye.wmv/

Personally, i think the 2 last people are gonna be Obama and Mccain, I also think Obama will be president, anyone else?

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks! Viva Khyryk! Vivan los Serviles! Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons! this is what you send to blizzard if they cancel Starcraft 2.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #67
Dunno. I'm voting for Hillz in the primary tomorrow. Obama has been winning lots of small states; the big ones, however, have been going to Hillary, for the most part.

[ Monday, February 11, 2008 15:30: Message edited by: Drew ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #68
quote:

Really, who the hell is going to invade the US? Mexico? Canada? Japan is doing just fine with a very limited military, and it has China breathing down its neck.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #69
quote:

Really, who the hell is going to invade the US? Mexico? Canada?
Hey, Canada has kicked our butts every time we've fought them in war. Plus, 90% of Canadians live within a four-day march of the U.S. border. I say they're preparing for something. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #70
The Chinese are planning something big. They've been too quiet lately.

*Shifty eyes*

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #71
Japan has a fully blinged-out US Army base in Okinawa, and the US presence in South Korea is also substantive. These concentrations of friendly foreign forces in its backyard probably serve to mitigate Japan's need to build up its own army.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #72
quote:

quote:

Really, who the hell is going to invade the US? Mexico? Canada? Japan is doing just fine with a very limited military, and it has China breathing down its neck.

My question isn't whether USA needs an army. My question is whether France, England, or even Finland have an army. Because if they do, then Kucinich's position would be considered very far from "mainstream liberal" even in those countries. Which was my original point.

PS If you are trying to prove that USA doesn't need an army, Japan is a pretty bad example, considering that it's protected by American navy.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #73
You conveniently ignored my point, which was that it is only a change in name. Countries can have a standing army without having a Department of Defense.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #74
quote:
(Although Bush just endorsed McCain. So who knows.)

I doubt Bush's endorsement means much to most of the American populace.

Mexico is already attacking us in a stretching the truth sort of way. Their president encourages people to come to the U.S. and send back money to the government. He also says that anywhere Mexicans are is Mexico.

Yay for conspiracies!

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."

Pages