Getting political

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Getting political
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
I'm trying to make this one as complete as possible. I know that some of the candidates are without chances and Romney has actually conceded a while ago, but they're still in here.

Poll Information
This poll contains 3 question(s). 40 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=womdrCSuJIZC"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=womdrCSuJIZC"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #1
What if we don't like any of them?

--------------------
Ornk Meat and Guacamole --------- $6.00
Gazer Tentacle Stew -------------- $10.00
=:T:=
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #2
I'm big for Ron Paul, but if he doesn't win the primary I guess Obama's alright. I would never vote for anyone else, even though I won't be of age for another two and some odd years. I really, really dislike Romney and Clinton. *shudders*

Ron Paul placed second for the republican party in Nevada, and Romney only won here because of the large Mormon population.

[ Thursday, February 07, 2008 17:26: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #3
Democrat, Obama and McCain. I would absolutely vote against Huckabee, as he's religious, and Paul, because he's basically just a racist. McCain and Hillary are fine with me, and frankly I don't know much about Romney, although apparently he just dropped out.

It's so inspiring. Obama came to Boise, where I live, on the Saturday before Super Tuesday. Fourteen thousand in the Taco Bell Arena, and my father was on TV several times, his hand in the Idaho Statesman. Then, come Super Tuesday, Idaho supported him eighty some percent to a distant second at fifteen percent for Clinton. While I dine at lunch, I overhear debates on which candidate is better, at age thirteen for Heaven's sake.

Anyways, although I'd rather have Obama or Hillary in, in that order, I'd be okay with McCain winning. My Dad rather despises Clinton for standing by Bill in his hour of need, or at least that's what he says.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
and Paul, because he's basically just a racist.
What the... I've never heard that before.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #5
When asking about "favorite" candidate from the opposite party do you mean "favorite" in the sence of "if I ever voted for a guy from that party, I'd vote for him", or in the sence "I wish Republicans chose Huckubee, because that would guarantee a Democrat in the white house"?

As for the candidates themselves, in a choise between a good speaker who promises to reach across party lines and bring change to Washington, but has little track record and almost no experience in national politics, and a candidate who has been in the White House, promoting policies I like and has a proven track record, but is not very likable, I would chose the later, which is why I would have voted against Bush eight years ago.

[ Thursday, February 07, 2008 17:40: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 6096
Profile Homepage #6
If Finns could vote in the US presidential elections (what an interesting idea!) and I'd have to choose from those, I'd choose Obama because he has some opinions (or promises) I agree with. I'd vote against Huckabee or probably any republican.

Yes, the Finnish press has been watching those elections very closely.

[ Thursday, February 07, 2008 17:41: Message edited by: *Milu* ]
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

When asking about "favorite" candidate from the opposite party do you mean "favorite" in the sence of "if I ever voted for a guy from that party, I'd vote for him", or in the sence "I wish Republicans chose Huckubee, because that would guarantee a Democrat in the white house"?
For me anyways, it was something to the effect of "If the Dems lose the Generals, at least the Rep is this guy." So, the former.

And yeah, Ron Paul is racist. While I may RP the racist Hunters, who frankly should have a wider base if the continuing racist attitudes in Avernum are any indication, I am in fact totally against racism in any manner or form.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
I prefer Obama to Clinton, but not terribly strongly. I think she'd be a very good president, actually. McCain frightens me as a man who is almost reasonable but quite wrong with a great deal of convictions on many issues. Romney says all the wrong (read: neocon) things, but his record isn't actually so bad. Huckabee is a lunatic.

—Alorael, who also wishes Huckabee the best of luck in the primaries. Also, American politics are terrifying.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #9
I'm surprised Romney pulled out after having a dominating victory in Utah (90% of republican votes). His speech about it was really condemning though. I'm even more surprised by the fact Giuliani got hammered so much by the media.

Why are Europeans so interested in American politics? I never see any news about elections in other countries.

quote:
Originally written by Goldenking:

[QUOTE]Originally written by Zeviz:
[qb] And yeah, Ron Paul is racist.

and the letters don't say who wrote them. If these were remotely credible, they would have recieved a lot more publicity then they did

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #10
quote:

I would absolutely vote against Huckabee, as he's religious...
Looks like Ron isn't the only bigot...

You may not have meant it to sound that way, but yeah, it sounds that way.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #11
Hmm, that last question was too confusing for the American people. We may end up with 4 more years.

Ex - Your views of American politics and policy are skewed. Most Europeans fear American politics, and thus watch carefully. Most Americans can't even find Washington DC on a map, never mind the country "Europe," and therefore don't care who is the King of Spain. The people that are aware of the area outside their bubble do, in fact, pay attention to politics in those reasons. Mostly because their fortunes depend on it.

[ Thursday, February 07, 2008 18:49: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #12
Fear, that makes sense. I guess I shouldn't consider CBS news as canon. But I also forgot American lore of geography is terribly, terribly sad.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #13
Too bad Romney dropped out. But he has a point - the GOP really needs to work together. Even if it means a compromise, i.e. John McCain.

I find it interesting that, so far, Obama is favored by more Spiderweb Republicans than Hillary is by Spiderweb Democrats.

--------------------
Love is the movement.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #14
Yeah, but the poll has only been up for two hours. I usually wait two days to draw conclusions.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #15
Personally I can't stand Hillary or McCain. I'd rather have Obama as president any day.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
by Excalibur:
Yeah, but the poll has only been up for two hours. I usually wait two days to draw conclusions.
I know it won't stay that way too long (probably), but it's still amusing.

[ Thursday, February 07, 2008 19:10: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

--------------------
Love is the movement.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Jewelz:

quote:

I would absolutely vote against Huckabee, as he's religious...
Looks like Ron isn't the only bigot...

You may not have meant it to sound that way, but yeah, it sounds that way.

Yeah, I didn't mean it to sound quite that way. Huckabee because he's excessively religious more like it.

Ex, those letters got plenty of media coverage, directly proportionate to how much Paul got total. The letters weren't written by him himself, but he did endorse them. Anyways, I used to be for Paul, but that faded away as I learned more about him. These letters were the death blow.

Talie, the poll is still young. But still, all this shows is that Obama appeals to Republicans and Independents more than Hillary. This hasn't been the biggest secret, especially not here in Idaho. Were he won by the biggest margin I've ever seen in my young life.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #18
Obama wastes time; Clinton takes us to Iran. McCain is a Reaganite reactionary and Huckabee is a bible-thumping imbecile, while Romney has a slick aura that oozes connections. I suspect the Project for a New American Century has chosen Clinton as their democratic candidate (especially given the huge piles of dirty money she has), with McCain and Romney as their potential republican candidates duking it out to determine whether a cultural conservative or voudon Reaganomist will score better in the exit polls.

I also suspect McCain's "drop" in popularity was planned theatrics. I do not suspect McCain within an inch of his life. He has gone on the record as saying that he served in the military with atheists: He probably shot them.

And Mr. Goldenking: I'm glad you've dropped your support of Mr. Paul! You could teach millenarian gun-toting klanners a lesson or two: No matter how much things appear to change superficially, reactionary politics are unnecessary when the power structure prefers rich, white males just fine as-is. :)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

The former. Given that Bush has twice won an election, "guarantee" is a very dangerous word. I'd rather have McCain than allow the faintest chance to Huckabee or Paul.

---

Incidentally, can someone tell me what part of the spectrum Ron Paul's grassroots support comes from? He gets a solid 17% of the popular vote on Slashdot, which is kind of unusual for someone who has been quoted on both being an anti-abortionist and a creationist, and who is said to have published a magazine with racist remarks once. Who is that guy?

--------------------
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

Incidentally, can someone tell me what part of the spectrum Ron Paul's grassroots support comes from? He gets a solid 17% of the popular vote on Slashdot, which is kind of unusual for someone who has been quoted on both being an anti-abortionist and a creationist, and who is said to have published a magazine with racist remarks once. Who is that guy?
Remember Le Pen in the French elections in 2002? Wacko candidates get popularity from time to time; hence Ron Paul. The analogy doesn't go very far, of course, but it's instructive to think of the unpredictability anyway. Remember that people vote stupidly often, and people vote surprisingly occasionally, so people vote surprisingly stupidly with distressing regularity.

As a more direct answer to your question, his support is young and Internet-based. Why, I have no idea. But that's who it is.

Anyway, I cast an Obama vote on Tuesday, but I have to admit that I didn't make up my mind until a few minutes before I completed the line on my absentee ballot. I looked at Clinton's positions and compared them with Obama's, and they're really similar. I looked at Clinton's answers to SF Chronicle readers' questions and compared them to Obama's, and they were both good. I looked over their websites, listened to some of their speeches, looking for something that would make up my mind, and I found nothing.

I finally broke for Obama because I counted on the stupidity of the American people. Too many people dislike Clinton (for no apparent reason — if you ask them why, they can't explain it in any reasonable terms). In Clinton vs. McCain, I think McCain will win (unless she figures out his weak spot, the war), but in Obama vs. McCain, I think Obama wins.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
Thank you for clearing that up.

quote:
As a more direct answer to your question, his support is young and Internet-based. Why, I have no idea. But that's who it is.
I already heard something to that effect, but I more or less disbelieved it before because I expected the "young, internet-based" segment to vote more liberally on average. I have yet to see a forum whose Political Compass mean does not lie in the third quadrant.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #22
For the Republicans, John McCain is their best bet, as the others are simply not electable. I hate religious politicians too, but you already knew I was a bigot. I don't like church in my state, and some of these candidates need to be taken out back and shot for trying to force their morals on others. What really annoys me is that McCain, a great man whom I will be voting for, will probably pick Huckabee as his running mate, which will really be shooting himself in the foot as far as collecting independent votes goes. He will not win the presidency.

For the Democrats, it really is a win-win situation with Hillary and Obama. If Obama is the nominee, he'll probably pick someone lame as his VP, like Richardson. Hillary, on the other hand, would have to pick Obama, because the man is a movement. I like the latter ticket best, and in my expert Imperial opinion, Hillary will be the next President of the United States.

--------------------
You lose.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Hillary will be the next President of the United States.
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

What really annoys me is that McCain, a great man whom I will be voting for, will probably pick Huckabee as his running mate, which will really be shooting himself in the foot as far as collecting independent votes goes. He will not win the presidency.
I'd have thought you'd be voting for yourself as a write-in candidate.

[ Friday, February 08, 2008 00:17: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages