2007 Movies

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: 2007 Movies
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #0
A month late, yes. But what are the movies of 2007 that you liked and disliked?

My favorites are Golden Compass, Pan's Labyrinth (2006), Harry Potter 5 (yes, bad choice), and National Treasure 2.

Other movies I liked are Enchanted, Bridge to Terabithia, Bug, and Bourne Ultimatum.

Movies I didn't like are Shrek 3, PotC 3, Transformers, and TMNT.

I want to see American Gangster, Stardust, Michael Clayton, and Ratatouille.

I haven't been around much because I'm having psychological problems making it difficult for me to use a computer..treating it now.... I won't be more specific...

[ Monday, January 28, 2008 18:25: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #1
The only 2007 movie I remember seeing is Shrek 3, and it was pathetically lame.

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #2
Star War-

. . .

*Sob*

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
Let's see...

Ratatouille was good. HP5 was the best of the series, but that's not saying much. Bridge to Terabithia was a fine movie, but not really my style. Shrek 3 was occasionally funny, but the series is clearly going downhill fast. PotC3 tried to do too much, but the soundtrack is great. And last and probably least was Transformers with its unbelieveably annoying human characters.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb Reloaded
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #4
You guys haven't actually named any of the good ones yet. Living in bubbles, are we? 300 was an instant classic, the Simpsons movie was hilarious. There was that other Pirates movie, and I always liked those.

They are just some of the top grossers. Others that I enjoyed included Beowulf, Hitman, Smokin' Aces, Halloween, Hannibal Rising, Superbad, Balls of Fury, and Grindhouse.

Some disappointments were: American Gangster, Pathfinder, and I Am Legend.

Worst Movie: Transformers.

--------------------
You lose.
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #5
I like your favorites list overall. Ratatouille was quite good, too. I would really like to see Golden Compass, although its reviews haven't left me too optimistic. Loved the book though.

This should be a poll, in my opinion. I needn't mention what would win "Worst Movie..." :rolleyes:

--------------------
Love is the movement.
----
My poetry
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #6
I found Once and Evening quite satisfying, despite the latter's blatant reliance on The Great Gatsby as source material.

Of the summers trilogy finales, The Borne Ultimatum was the only one that I truly enjoyed, although Spiderman 3, Pirates 3, and Ocean's Thirteen could certainly have been worse.

As per usual for film adaptations, The Order of the Phoenix and The Golden Compass both failed to match their written counterparts. Likewise, Across the Universe, although enjoyable, failed to compare with general appreciation of a few good Beatles tunes (although their interpretation of "I Want You, She's So Heavy" was inspired).

Stardust and I am Legend were about as I expected, mediocre, with a flamingly gay Robert De Niro and a hauntingly empty NYC being their saving graces, respectively.

As for 300, well, I may be male, but the nonstop testosterone was enough to put me a bit on edge, although I enjoyed the sheer visual spectacle of the thing.

Therefore, I declare the winners of film in 2007 to be The Assassination of Jesse James by that Coward Robert Ford, for the depth of the characters, and The Borne Ultimatum, for proving that good action is not dead.

The losers are harder to place, since I typically avoid those movies that are clearly not my style. I am willing to bet, though, that if I was forced to watch them all, Shrek 3 and Rise of the Silver Surfer would come out on the bottom.

As for 2007 movies I still want to see, Into the Wild, Michael Clayton, American Gangster, Atonement, No Direction Home, and Sweeney Todd are all high on my list.

Edit: Have you noticed that the first movie in an unplanned series of three always seems the best? The second is usually awful, with the third making up for it but not quite passing the original. Perhaps it's just the way I'm wired.

[ Monday, January 28, 2008 19:53: Message edited by: Actaeon ]

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #7
I won't even go near 300, if we must speak of unlikable movies.

My favorite movies are pretty much all older than I am, with the exception of Turtles Can Fly.

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #8
I Am Legend was alright until the he was rescued by the woman. If the movie would've ended just before that it would've been amazing.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

I Am Legend was alright until the he was rescued by the woman. If the movie would've ended just before that it would've been amazing.
It'd have been better, not amazing. But, yeah, the last 30(?) minutes of it sucked. Hard.

All those that haven't partaken of a shave of late, Sweeney Todd is a fair adaptation, and it's TIM BURTON! I did somewhat annoy the audience by singing along - although I'm sure half of them were expecting a straight-forward horror.

Erm, I liked The Simpsons Movie, but really the Simpsons was at it's best years ago now. Transformers was terrible (and not apatch on the cartoon I grew up with), and Shrek 3 seemed forced. Which, I suppose, it was.

My favourite from last year then? Prolly Spiderman 3, but that's only because I'm having issues thinking of a better one.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - White, two sugars. :)
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #10
Rise of the Silver Surfer was good. But declined on second viewing.

Transformers was absolutely brilliant, the best movie I've watched for years. But the plot was a little inconsistant (How Optimus didn't just shove the Cube into Megs chest in the first place and why Megs seems to have a dental problem through most of the film)

That said, Megaton was the most impressive villan I've seem yet. Aside from the fact he has a mace!

--------------------
"I've never owned Subterra" -Ed
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #11
Transformers was horrendous. They completely killed it. Everyone I know who saw the original cartoons hated it. It mainly seems to have fans in 12-year-olds who want to join the army.

Sweeney Todd kind of disappointed me. I mean, it was well done, but it just felt like Tim Burton making the same movie for the 20th time. Johnny Depp in white face, disaffected and injured, with cutting implements in his hands, we've never seen that before...

The Bourne Ultimatum was awesome, and is hands down my pick for best of 2007.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #12
I really enjoyed Stardust (I had no expectations going into it, but I'm a sucker for fairy tales) and the Bourne Ultimatum (solid, solid sequel in a breath-of-fresh-air-to-the-genre action movie series).

I wasn't crazy about Spider-Man 3 - perhaps my expectations were too high. Likewise, the third installment in the Pirates series, while incredible effects-wise, was pitiful when it came to plot. They ended what started as a campy, fun series as an epic tragedy, where none of the characters were really likable, and the other jokes were getting old. The appearance of Keith Richards was needlessly gratuitous.

Harry Potter was okay. Perhaps some of the magic has diminished with knowing how it's all going to end. Live Free or Die Hard was also a fairly worthy addition to the series (certainly better than the second one), though the pacing at times was a bit too slow - I think I was spoiled by the third one. I actually really liked the Transformers movie. Maybe it's flawed (the selling out to GM was gratuitous), but hearing the original voice actor for Optimus Prime do his thing really tugged at my nostalgic heart strings. I certainly feel though that it's come closer to the spirit of the original series than more recent additions (Beast Wars, the CG one, any of the new series on CN). The girl was also smokin' hot too. :)

(P.S. - Nija: it's Megatron.)

Haven't seen Sweeney Todd yet, but I'm planning to, and it likely will end up being my favorite for the year - Sondheim is amazing. Other than that, the rest of the movies really haven't registered with me.

[ Tuesday, January 29, 2008 07:15: Message edited by: Drew ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
Stardust was amazing, as was Live Free or Die Hard. Thankfully, they were amazing in completely different ways. :P

I wish I hadn't missed Sweeney Todd, and I plan to catch it as soon as it's out on dvd.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #14
Beast Wars is good. It's not to stupid and Megatron is once again screamingly evil.

--------------------
"I've never owned Subterra" -Ed

"XP is Win32" -Nicoa
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #15
Superbad and The Bourne Ultimatum are easily my top two, but I also enjoyed 3:10 to Yuma, The Darjeeling Limited, and Knocked Up. Still really want to see No Country for Old Men and Eastern Promises; they'll be showing at the student union soon, which is convenient since the only thing I like more than a good movie is a free good movie.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Tales From the Tabard Inn: Now if only there was a 3600 Hour Contest.....
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
No Country for Old Men tops my list, Juno is surprisingly heartwarming and knows when to let its jokes go, and I still want to see There Will Be Blood. Sweeney Todd is a good movie, but it's not a great movie and the Broadway musical was a great musical. I still say getting the recording of the original Broadway performance for your collection is better than getting the Tim Burton DVD, although the Burton version is worth seeing.

—Alorael, who still hasn't seen I Am Legend and doesn't think he will. He does have to wonder, though, why that book is turned into a movie so frequently and why nobody actually just takes the story that Richard Matheson wrote and works with that without altering it in major ways.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #17
I'm glad to know that I'm not in the minority in thinking that Transformers was bad. Very dull movie. I'm glad I didn't waste my time seeing it in theaters. Also, Taliesin, whose favorites list were you talking about? Mine? If so.... :)

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
I didn't go to the theater once in 2007.

I could check my Netflix rental history to see what movies I did see, and will likely do that and re-post. Or edit. Or quote myself and then double post. It's all good. ;)

Edit - It turns out I've seen nothing released in 2007. I'll get around to quoting this later.

[ Tuesday, January 29, 2008 13:38: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #19
Harry Potter 5, and the Bourne Ultimatum, were good. Spiderman 3 and the Simpsons were less good. That is all I actually watched.

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #20
Movies I saw in 2007 that I liked
  • Bourne Ultimatum
  • Ocean's 13
  • Stardust
  • Harry Potter 5
  • Transformers
  • I Am Legend
  • Charlie Wilson's WarMovies I saw in 2007 that I did not likeFantastic Four 2
  • Spider-Man 3
  • The Golden Compass
  • Shrek 3

[ Tuesday, January 29, 2008 14:26: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by First Call:

No Country for Old Men tops my list, Juno is surprisingly heartwarming and knows when to let its jokes go, and I still want to see There Will Be Blood. Sweeney Todd is a good movie, but it's not a great movie and the Broadway musical was a great musical. I still say getting the recording of the original Broadway performance for your collection is better than getting the Tim Burton DVD, although the Burton version is worth seeing.
I want to see Juno when it comes out over here, as well as The Bucket List. They both look pretty good. And absolutely agree about Mr T - I got a recording of the Broadway musical just before Christmas, and it's amazing.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - White, two sugars. :)
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Actaeon:

As per usual for film adaptations, The Order of the Phoenix and The Golden Compass both failed to match their written counterparts.
I wouldn't know about The Golden Compass (because I haven't seen it), but The Order of the Phoenix paled in comparison to the book.
quote:
Originally written by Diphthongos:

Transformers was horrendous. They completely killed it.
If you think that's bad, I suggest you watch the cartoon "Transformers: The Movie," made back in the 80's. This latest Transformers movie is actually a major improvement over the first one.
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I didn't go to the theater once in 2007.
Same here, it's a waste of time & money. I normally just wait until it comes out on video, then borrow it from my local library.

Here's a list of all but one movie I saw from last year, and I was satisfied just seeing them once or twice:
Pirates 3
Ocean's 13
Fantastic Four 2
Harry Potter 5
Transformers

The remaining movie was Hairspray; I nearly vomited from this one, it's so bad. The only way to do justice to this nightmare is to destroy every copy in existence.

I'm very picky when it comes to movies.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #23
I enjoyed Pirates 3, but mostly because I had been anticipating its release for so long. Harry Potter 5 suffers from a disease called bad acting, caused by acute exposure to England. 300 looked cool and managed to not offend me very much. Finally, I haven't seen anyone mention Shooter...? I thought it was good.

--------------------
It's just trying to say hi!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #24
Shooter was pretty good. The title actually reminds me of an even better movie that I forget to mention: Shoot 'Em Up.

--------------------
You lose.

Pages