Omaha Mall Shooting

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Omaha Mall Shooting
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #0
These incidents seem to happen more often.

No, Drew and Aran aren't crazy, the thread had a different name before.

[ Thursday, December 06, 2007 19:59: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
A Bile Crux
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #1
I'm tried of people using these events to try put down America. It comes across as very arrogant acting as if your country doesn't have its own problems. The only reason America seems to have more problems is because America is considered the most powerful (note I didn't say best)and therefore America's problems get more media coverage then most other nations do.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #2
I'll bet he listened to death metal, too. :rolleyes:

--------------------
"Standing on the rooftops, Everybody scream your heart out."
----
My poetry
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

It should be noted that incidents like this rarely occur outside of the U.S.
Why? It's not particularly important to the story or the victims, so what is your personal agenda and why do you chose to use this as a platform? I personally don't believe that you have any proof for your statement, nor do I believe that you could find it. Random acts of violence occur everywhere on the planet. You may think that means matter, or locations, but the only thing that matters is that 8 people died because one young man went a little off in the head. In short, your statement has been deemed offensive, and is one that is rarely made outside the U.S.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
quote:

These incidents seem to happen more often.

It should be noted that incidents like this rarely occur outside of the U.S.

Oh, my dear friend, I don't think you know what has happened in the past two months in Holland, do you? Of four or five families either the father or the mother got crazy and killed off their entire family (children, wife/husband) before commiting suicide.

Every time I think about it, it makes me sick. What also makes me sick, is that you say that such incidents happen most in the US.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #5
A couple of weeks ago, a school shooting could be prevented in my country, because the two who planned it talked about it on the internet, and friends got scared and called the police. One of the boys shot himself when they came for him, the other said that they wouldn't have done it. But armour and munition were found in their rooms, so how can you be sure.

And today, in a small village in the north, a mother of five killed all her kids.

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
The Malaysians even invented a word for the act of attacking random people with murderous intent. If you think that spree killing is a new problem, or one confined to America, you don't know much about it.

[ Thursday, December 06, 2007 05:10: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spree_killer

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #8
Looks like someone's discovered "Bowling for Columbine." Seriously though, Excalibur, your post is dripping with inferential the-nation-isn't-Christian-enough-osity, and to that I say, TSST! Furthermore, this discussion has already been held, and you were even a part of it, technically. Don't beat a dead horse!

[ Thursday, December 06, 2007 10:18: Message edited by: Drew ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
I find it very ironic to say that, in this day and age, the United States are not Christian... enough.

I mean, for a country whose constitution expressly forbids its laws to endorse any religion (but apparently that doesn't extend to abortions and homosexuals, because it's a completely non-religious fact that those are icky), your fundies are pretty loud.

Edit: Especially online. Hey wait.

[ Thursday, December 06, 2007 14:52: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #10
Hey!

We love our fundies.

And by "we" I mean comedians.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #11
Woe! I misread an article, it said that shooting incidents in schools were rare outside of the U.S. I'm sorry you were offended, but you don't have to be so hyped up about it.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Thursday, December 06, 2007 16:37: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
A Bile Crux
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #12
I still don't see how that affects anything. Although, I suppose you could use this to rant about how screwed up modern American culture is... and you might have some good points, too. However, you would most likely accomplish nothing. In fact, I recommend not ranting about it.

Yes, these things are terrible. When I lived in Lancaster, PA last year, a local Amish school was attacked (I believe it made national news). My boss was a friend of the killer's wife, and my church paid for the killer's funeral. It was very close to home. And guess what? The first thing the Amish did was prepare meals for the man's family. Nobody ranted about how American culture destroyed him. Nobody moralized about the evils of whatever. The Amish showed true Christian forgiveness, and the murderer's poor family will never stop thanking them for it.

--------------------
"Standing on the rooftops, Everybody scream your heart out."
----
My poetry
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #13
The Amish are good individuals, and they express wisdom by refusing to accept modern technology. Actually, I'm not sure if they're entirely void of it, but anyways.

I don't understand how a ceased relationship and lost employment would drive a man to inflict chaos in a shopping mall. Ok, so these people wish to commit suicide, but why cause destruction along with it?

Yeah, I've said a few egregious things before. Why don't you just forget about it? It's true I'm a bit stubborn, and only once have I apologized and discarded something.

I'm still shocked, I misread an article and everyone's in an uproar. :o

--------------------
A Bile Crux
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #14
quote:

I don't understand how a ceased relationship and lost employment would drive a man to inflict chaos in a shopping mall. Ok, so these people wish to commit suicide, but why cause destruction along with it?
Well, in depressed people that's enough to drive them to suicide. The destruction he caused was for a simple reason, most likely: He wanted people to remember him.

I myself have done much thought on the subject. Most of us, unless we have done something particularily noteworthy, will be forgotten in two generations, roughly. Children (if we have them) and friends will, of course, remember us. Then, grandchildren will either have there parents tales to know of us, or a few childhood memories of us. If we aren't senile old bats when we are with grandchildren, they may tell of us to their children, but generally it will end with the second generation.

Now, back to the original point. This man didn't want to be forgotten as just another victim in the battlefield of suicide and depression. So, he did a vile act that he knew would reach the media. He became known briefly by some of this ~300 million population of Statesmen. Nothing extraordinarily noteworthy, not like Virginia Tech. His goal of ending himself was accomplished, but not his goal of being remembered in the long term. Thankfully.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
The Two Universal Truthes:
"All I know is that I know nothing" -Socrates
"I think, therefore I am." -René Descartes
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #15
Hmmm...Judging by the assumption that depressed people usually have a low self-esteem, I find little sense in wishing to be remembered. There must be something deeper than simple remembrance.

--------------------
A Bile Crux
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #16
I heard that he was on anti-depressants, some of which have been linked to behavior like this. But I could be mistaken.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
In Last Hope's Light RP - The end is near...
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #17
I have my own complaints but suicide, especially of this variety, won't solve them...

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
I find it hard to understand how this thread could have gotten even worse in the past 6 hours.

--------------------

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #19
When I was very young my family lived for a year in a country that suffered various terror attacks. Years later my dad told me about the policy there at that time: the incident would be reported in the media, but no information about the perpetrators was ever provided. They were simply referred to as 'terrorists', and no public speculation about their affiliation or cause was permitted.

I think there is a lot of sense in this, and I think it applies even more strongly to spree and serial killers. They should not be named, and nothing about them should be reported. 'A sicko shot some people' would be enough.

Every depressed guy with an ammo crate should know that that would be all the epitaph he would get by going on rampage. Taking away the incentive of posthumous notoriety outweighs any legitimate right the public has to satisfy idle morbid curiosity.

And there is nothing to be gained, anyway, by learning more about a mass murderer, whatever their motivations. Investigating why they did it makes as much sense as interviewing a tumor. Nothing that could possibly turn up from investigation could be adequate explanation, let alone justification. It would still amount, in the end, to 'a sicko shot some people'. We should just leave it at that.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #20
I know this is a little off the issue, but I’m curious about what you mean by this:

quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

for a country whose constitution expressly forbids its laws to endorse any religion (but apparently that doesn't extend to abortions and homosexuals…
I think there are religious people in the US who fall on either side of these issues. Abortion is legal and I’m pretty sure homosexuality laws are off the books or at least unenforced in all 50 states. If the US has laws that endorse religion I’m unaware of them. I think the government is pretty secular. What are you saying?
Warrior
Member # 6934
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Stillness:

...I think the government is pretty secular. What are you saying?
:eek:

--------------------
Always be true to yourself - unless you suck
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #22
Homosexual acts may not be illegal, but homosexuals and other queer people aren't given all the rights and privileges of straights. So clearly the government does have an opinion on sexuality, and it's one that happens to coincide with a more conservative Protestant opinion.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

the United States are
Interesting. You can tell Aran is from another country. Here, your average American would say "the United States is" We actually had a Civil War over this very subject. The winners were the people who said "is."

--------------------
You lose.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by Elastikon:

homosexuals and other queer people aren't given all the rights and privileges of straights.
I think they are. The only thing I can think of is military restrictions on sharing your sexuality, but not on practicing it. But in general, discrimination based on sexuality is illegal here.

By the way, a sentiment of anti-homosexuality is far from being the sole property of conservative Protestants. I think it's safe to say it's ubiquitous the world over.

Pages