What are you learning right now?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What are you learning right now?
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #50
There is a University in the UK that offers a degree in Surf Studies (the study of surfing). I'm pretty open about whatever your degree might be in but surf studies? I guess if you want to go into the surfing industry? MIght be a darn fun major though.

http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/pages/view.asp?page=8741

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #51
Whee! Yay for Plymouth!

I used to teach there, but not on that degree...

--------------------
But it's the unsquandered youth that is truly wasted.

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #52
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Eh, right after college I'm going to go into work unrelated to anything I studied in college. The degree is important, not so much what it's in, for what I'm going to be doing.

I find it funny that people think my science degree (Astrophysics) is more practical than my humanities degree (Classical Languages). A B.A. in Astro is useless for a getting a job, except in that it's a B.A., which a B.A. in Classical Languages is, too. To get a job in astronomy, you really should have at least an M.A. or a Ph. D., and an M.A. or Ph. D. in Classics is just as good as one in Astro as far as job value.

Odd, cause I always get 'Oh, so you have to go to grad school to even hope for a job' on the physics degree, which isn't quite true, but on the career level it is.

What B.A/B.S. does send you straight into a job these days though? R.N. I guess, business sometimes, and maybe journalism people?

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #53
Most natural sciences degrees.

Examples include forestry, marine biology, geology, petrology. Specialization, with commensurate pay advances, is encouraged and does require advanced degrees in the current job market.

--------------------
Synergy - "I don't get it."

Dikiyoba - "Dang. I'm one firecracker short from getting a gourd potion today."
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
Originally written by Sticky:

Odd, cause I always get 'Oh, so you have to go to grad school to even hope for a job' on the physics degree, which isn't quite true, but on the career level it is.

What B.A/B.S. does send you straight into a job these days though? R.N. I guess, business sometimes, and maybe journalism people?

Also, most engineering degrees. At least in fields like computer "science" and electrical engineering, BS or MS are enough for most jobs.

You generally need Phd for research jobs, and since almost all jobs in astronomy, physics, and other basic sciences are research related, you need advanced degrees for them.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #55
ACC 4247 Auditing
ACC 4251 Accounting Theory
TAX 4262 Advanced Tax
ACC 4243 Advanced Accounting
FIN 3310 Finance
DS 2333 Statistics
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #56
Third Year Aerospace Engineering:
Introduction to Aerospace Flight (Aero I)
Flight Structures
Structures and Properties of Aerospace Materials
Modeling Methods
Measurement Lab

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
BoaEdit
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #57
Since I'm long past school and class, I'm learning how to irritate Jeff. It's amazing how quickly you can find something that he didn't think was possible to do early in a game.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #58
I just decided to switch majors from Biochemistry to Molecular Biosciences and Biotechnology. Yay! I'll be officially switching sometime next week.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #59
What's the distinction?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #60
I pretty sure her life sucked, and the new major won't evince suckiness to that degree. Heh.

--------------------
Synergy - "I don't get it."

Dikiyoba - "Dang. I'm one firecracker short from getting a gourd potion today."
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #61
Ideally PERL and Japanese. It just depends on how wisely I spend my time...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #62
No, it will suck almost as much. But, there is less math :) and it seems more like what I'm really interested in. I just need to go to the proper adviser and see if my current math class will count or not.

Heh. I Wish I Could Go Back to College from Avenue Q is playing on my iTunes right now.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #63
(Bump.)

It's that time again! Discuss the classes you're taking this semester! Rant, moan, and/or complain about the ones last semester! Again, this run the gamut from high school to undergrad to graduate studies and beyond. If you ain't in school, you've still got to be learning something mildly interesting.

Anyhoo, to recap the fall semester. I discovered how much your exam grades suffer when you have them all back-to-back (-to-back-to-back...). I did well enough on my assignments for my software engineering course and my AI course that mediocre exams didn't have that bad of an impact. My algorithms course didn't fare so well - much harder than the previous one in the series, and I bombed the final spectacularly (still bitter about the exam only being two hours long).

Did all right in my cognitive psychology course. I've only taken two psychology courses, but both gave me the impression that the focus is much more on facts memorization than concept application. I realize that memorizing facts is much more important than in the maths and related departments, but still...

I've got to admire my philosophy of computing prof for changing the focus of the course halfway through the semester to fit in with the class's interests. Class participation was lacklustre for the first month or so. Then came the discussion on the Chinese Room argument, and the entire class just latched on to that. So we spent a fair amount of time on related topics in class. I'd love to do a philosophy of mind course for my final arts option, even if it would lower my GPA.

And now for the new stuff:
CMPUT 325 - Non-Procedural Programming Languages
Lisp and Prolog, along with the theory behind them. Ph34r my p4r3n5 & H0rn kl4z3z!

CMPUT 379 - Operation System Concepts
Big topic. I'm going to die.

CMPUT 391 - Database Management Systems
Meh. Suppose it's important to know. At least now we (hopefully) learn all the useful stuff - the previous course didn't leave us with much beyond SQL. Now if only the prof was a bit more comprehensible...

PHYS 234 - Introductory Computational Physics
I already know C, so I'm bringing a book to classes so far. Hopefully the physics itself won't be too challenging; it's been a couple years since I've touched the stuff.

MATH 222 - Introduction To Discrete MathematicsAs a friend said, it's all the math problems you do for fun, but in an actual course. It uses a 'textbook' called "The Puzzling Adventures of Doctor Ecco" (which everyone should buy). Think Lewis Carroll meets Arthur Conan Doyle. Cheapest text I'll ever get; about twelve dollars. Anyway, should be fun.

--------------------
I am not a professor. I work for a living.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #64
I'm about to graduate from High School..well, at March..

And here I come oh glorious College life!

--------------------
Humans fight to enter insanity.
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #65
Thesis. Scientific computing, specifically in Genetics. Very fun, and I'm *still* learning new things about Java.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #66
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

I've only taken two psychology courses, but both gave me the impression that the focus is much more on facts memorization than concept application. I realize that memorizing facts is much more important than in the maths and related departments, but still...
This is unfortunately true of most lower level psych courses. Some of this is useful, because you are essentially learning vocabulary that makes discussions of theory and practice much simpler. Some of it is just glorified historical wankery. It's a pity, because psychology, much like the hard sciences, can easily provide a beautiful intellectual vista when approached in a spirit of critical inquiry and wonder... rather than as a fact-finding mission.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #67
Yarr! Italian, Croatian, and belly dancing! (still)

--------------------
But it's the unsquandered youth that is truly wasted.

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #68
I just got my schedule in order, and school starts on Monday. It's only 12 (maybe 13) hours, but this semester is going to be a beast.

CHM 334 Organic Chemistry for Majors II
It took forever and lots of suffering to get in this class.

CHM 338 The corresponding lab
This lab, which I based my schedule around only had one spot left and I just got into it about 10 minutes ago. What a relief!

PHY 111 General Physics
Everyone (literally everyone) says this class is an annoying waste of time and is unnecessarily difficult. and it has the worst online homework program ever. I wish I didn't have to do it.

PHY 113 The physics lab

MIC 220 Microbiology
This class sounds really cool. My roommate took it last semester and liked it.

MIC 206 The microbiology lab
It's Monday and Wednesday night. Ick.

So yeah, I'm taking three labs. Pretty stupid idea. I was going to take the math class that my major requires, but , in the infinite wisdom of ASU, there's only one class, with a capacity of ~20, and like 500 people need to take it. It's already over-filled, so I'm not getting in.

There's one more class I want to take. It's a lecture class on astrobiology by Paul Davies, but it's full already and it's an honors course. So I have a meeting today with him to get an override.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #69
Now that I'm settled into career life I'm considering going to graduate school in Library Science or something since my employer will foot a large chunk of the cost. Probably not until 2009 give myself one more year of no school.

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
alexkaltsas.com
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #70
Phy2048 Physics1 with Calc. AKA engineering calc. The first section of the book was called "Measuring Things," (It does get harder from there though. :P )

Phy2048L The lab for the class. No labs this week, so I'm not sure what it's like yet.

Mac3473 Honors Calc 2, with the same professor from last semester (In some strange way I grew to appreciate his insanity-- and realized that after a semester with him I could never switch to another teacher and pass)

Gea1000 Geography. It's a social science credit, and it counts as an international credit too. There's no textbook, the teacher hardly speaks english, and is basically one huge joke.

Chm2051 Honors Chem 2. Smaller class, cool professor, better timeslot.

Chm2046L Chem 2 lab. If it's like chem1 lab, this is going to suck hard.

Cgs2421 C++ For Engineers. Just taking this for kicks. It's my favorite class so far.

--------------------
"NOW PASS ME MY BOOTS. I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A FACE." -Nikki

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #71
Yay for not really knowing your schedule until the last minute!

L13 E Comp 321 02 - Fiction Writing 2. Last time I took a fiction writing course, I got the distinct impression that the department resents fantasy/sci-fi writing. I was also pointed towards a class dealing more specifically with that sort of genre. But here we go again.

L23 Re St 245 01 - The Buddhist Traditions. Can you say 'distribution requirement'? Actually, I'm kind of interested in this class, but I am mainly taking it because I need to fill some reqs.

L24 Math 132 01 F - Calculus 2. Required for the Environmental Studies major. Probably going to hate it.

L41 Biol 4182 01 - Macroevolution. Upper-level elective for the Environmental Studies major. Hopefully going to like it.

L77 WGS 100B 03 - Intro to Women and Gender Studies. It conveniently fills a distribution requirement while also being a class I can actually care about. Yay!

L28 P.E. 240 01 (waitlisted) - Intermediate Tennis. Wish I could take this, but it conflicts with the above.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #72
Last semester was awful. Just awful. My two physics classes were incredibly boring and poorly taught.

Advanced Mechanics: "Now let's find the period of oscillation of this system if we have a sufficiently small perturbation from equilibrum!" "No, Lagrangian mechanics isn't important. We're not going to get to it until the last couple of weeks of the semester!" "I know that the introduction to this book says that you can only cover eleven chapters in a semester, but we're going to cover fifteen!"

Advanced Electricity and Magnetism: "Now let's talk about dipoles! Again!" "Now let's analyze this incredibly contrived physical system and compute a property that no one could ever care about!"

Hopefully this semester will be better, because (god willing) I'm not going to be taking any physics classes, just astro.

Astro 161: Cosmology
Longest list of pre-reqs I've ever seen. I'm looking forward to the class because I know the teacher is at least competent, and he's very nice.

Astro 121: Radio Astro Lab
Agh, a lab. I am not a fan of labs, and the astro lab is grueling. I don't even remember what we observe in radio wavelengths.

Latin H195: Honors Thesis
Heh. This one will be entertaining. My thesis is on the state of Latin pedagogy at the university level (with particular emphasis on what we do at Cal) and how it can be improved. Basically, how the Classics department is screwing up and how they need to get their act together.

History 181B: Modern Physics: From the Atom to Big Science
Hoping to be able to take this one (slight schedule conflict). It counts for the astro major.

Astro 198: Current Topics in Astro
A 2-unit course in which we present stuff we've read in scientific journals. Supposed to be interesting.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #73
SPA 1122: Intermediate Spanish II: Ah, the language of the voters.

PSC 1900: Political Science Research Seminar: I'm not really sure what this entails, but I was required to take it. Probably involves... research.

PCS 3500: The Supreme Court and Equality: The guy who teaches this class is my course advisor, so I figured it would be a good way to get to know him better.

PSC 2775: Political Economy of Black America: Meets a diversity requirement, plus it's, like, you know, important for an Emperor to know these things... probably.

PCS 2200: American Party Politics: George Washington is rolling in his grave.

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #74
Currently, nothing. It's the final week of the semester, so everything is just one major review.

On a more broad scale, well, here are my classes:

AP English - And I'm very worthy of the class as well. Pulling a solid 'A', also one of the best writers in the class, especially creative writings. I even wrote an entire poem about the death of the class pet, Skeeter the Chinese Beta. I could post it, if requested.
Physics/Chemistry - Basically, a condensed version of physics first semester, and a condensed version of chemistry next. It's supposed to be for next years science, so that means I'll have an advanced science course.
World Studies - Euro-centric version. Greco-Roman, Middle Ages, Renaissance, Industrialization, World Wars, New Imperialism, etc. Very easy due to my advanced memory.
Earth Sciences - The only science class I have to take this year, and frankly very boring. Pulling a good 'A' here, like all my other classes, and I only really try to excel due to my selected career: Civil Engineer.
Math - Plain old math. As mentioned earlier, my intelligence is more memory oriented. Gets me through a lot of things, but not math. Still, I'm sufficient in this subject, and have no fears that sheer hard work will get me to where I want to be.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"To fly, throw yourself at the ground and miss." -The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Pages